• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I live in downtown Portland (I go to PSU) and I just started playing Melee. I want to give myself a couple months or so to get better because I am really quite bad right now. But just curious, how frequent are tournaments here and what is the range for amount of people?
My advice is that you should play smash with competitive people every chance you get. There's a guy who lives near me who has practiced a lot by himself, but hasn't played many people competitively. He doesn't have much chance to get into the scene and I can beat him consistently because he doesn't quite understand how to play smart. Tournaments are a great way to jump your game since they push you to your limits, even at your level. They also introduce you to a lot of people that you might not meet otherwise.

I live in scappoose, which isn't technically near you, but right now you're the closest active person to me I think. So I'd be totally up to smash with you.

Best bout smashfests start at five.

christianizcool

Smash Cadet
Alright thanks guys, I will get a bus down to SE for a couple hours! :) If not this Wednesday then next. Depends how I feel, getting over a cold.

You guys have been very responsive, thanks!

DrunkenMaster

Smash Rookie
Hey, i know u!
Hah, i remember you too. You taught me how to use the C-stick years ago XD hahaha, good times.

And what is Smashfest? If there is a weekly thing I think I might become a regular :p
I'm always down to bring an extra cube n stuff. Don't have a car to take TV though :/

Edit: also, BB is now on Wed? or still on Sat?

Izayah

Smash Journeyman
Every Wednesday is a sort of "practice night" you pay $5 for the whole night and can participate in a mock tournament.
This Saturday is a real tournament.

keeper

Smash Champion
Alright thanks guys, I will get a bus down to SE for a couple hours! :) If not this Wednesday then next. Depends how I feel, getting over a cold.

You guys have been very responsive, thanks!
Eat a grosse of Grapefruits.
Also, assuming you actually do main Samus, this will be interesting considering very few people use her and get mad at me when I pick her. :grimah: :grimahshine:

:mistyface:

christianizcool

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I am trying to main Samus. I have been watching a lot of videos and to be honest, most of them are boring to watch, even though I love playing as her. The way most Samuses play annoy me.

Most people seem to play like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEZn4iXU8Cw
Just like really defensively and boring

I aspire to play like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIAgW5-GvIs
or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4a4GIhcB1w

Not to imply I am nearly as good, or probably ever will be as good as some of the best Samuses.

Also, for Wednesday, where is it on 50th and Division? Like, will I just know it when I see it or..?

Eggz

Smash Hero
Can I get an RSVP list for Melee players planning to attend best bout? WA is planning to come down but if theres more people going i can prolly get two carpools instead of just one

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Yeah, I am trying to main Samus. I have been watching a lot of videos and to be honest, most of them are boring to watch, even though I love playing as her. The way most Samuses play annoy me.

Most people seem to play like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEZn4iXU8Cw
Just like really defensively and boring

I aspire to play like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIAgW5-GvIs
or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4a4GIhcB1w

Not to imply I am nearly as good, or probably ever will be as good as some of the best Samuses.

Also, for Wednesday, where is it on 50th and Division? Like, will I just know it when I see it or..?
The first two videos are probably pretty poor representation of what to strive for, maybe the last is alright. A lot has changed since 2006. That is the year I quit. If the game was still frozen in that state, I would be pretty stoked. But now I have to learn new stuff again, so will you.

Kami-V

Smash Journeyman
I have been summoned to this thread! I will answer questions.

1. I do in fact know everyone and everyone does in fact know me.

2. I will do the wednesday tourney. I will also try and actually be a part of this community again. I sort of actively shut it out because I have had too many things to do and I've over-committed myself to way too many things. In addition to being mid-moving, starting college soon, figuring out finances and stuff for the year, running a marathon (which I actually got injured in D: ) and still being a good friend and hanging out with people all the time, I have also been playing many other games competitively and I sort of had to quit some to actually keep up with some of them. But I miss smash and I can afford to do things like this now :)

3. I play Samus like hugs. Deal with it. Playing Samus like HugS is not boring and if you think it is then don't play Samus. Samus is not as fast as spacies so you sort of have to play with what you got. You will not be able to out race their insane ability to control the map so you have to use your strong shield outs (aka up-b oos and n-air oos) to put yourself in a position where you can actually punish them for mistakes, and being 'slow and campy' is sort of the best way to go about that.

The only exception to this is if you're aftermath. He's just really really good and he can do what he wants. His technical skill is also light years above all other Samus players.

4. I'm actually more of a shiek main now. :|

FoosJr

Smash Ace
It's on the corner of 49th and division they have a sign in the window that says best bout generally the door is left open. So you should know if you walk by it.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
I'm trying to learn shiek for the corvallis matchup.

Oh also, bring melee setups for the tournament this weekend. Allen won't be bringing his two, so we'll have to make up for that.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Hey, we could have a smashfest at my house this Friday. My old "partner" Dawg/Tyler is probably coming up from Corvallis probably that night, and coming to the tournament the next day.

Only problem is I don't really have any TVs. There is a plasma one that lags, a projector that lags, and the only one that works for melee is up in a weird room, and too heavy to move. If people could bring TVs I would be down, and if people are interested in doing it, might be down to hit up Goodwill to try to get one.

Let me know if people wanna play that day. The house is in Sellwood.

Also, I will be at the tournament, and WA, you can probably stay at my house if you would like. I think I work at some point on Sunday though.

keeper

Smash Champion
That video killed my soul. If I ever see James play again, and especially play with him, I will have to kill myself... Also, James should play again.
LOL. I like watching James play, all he cares about is how many tricks he can do and how the time-density of them.

Thank **** he got better at editing and recording though.
Can I get an RSVP list for Melee players planning to attend best bout? WA is planning to come down but if theres more people going i can prolly get two carpools instead of just one
I should be going.
Samus is boring to play against, and will always be boring to play against.
What if Samus ate pre-game marshmallows?

All I have to say is, ftilt everyday with everyone.

Oh, and Sheik.

'Sup Brandon?
Why are people forcing me to play Sheik dittos now? The ones I have with Foos are enough already. :<

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
Hey, we could have a smashfest at my house this Friday. My old "partner" Dawg/Tyler is probably coming up from Corvallis probably that night, and coming to the tournament the next day.

Only problem is I don't really have any TVs. There is a plasma one that lags, a projector that lags, and the only one that works for melee is up in a weird room, and too heavy to move. If people could bring TVs I would be down, and if people are interested in doing it, might be down to hit up Goodwill to try to get one.

Also, I will be at the tournament, and WA, you can probably stay at my house if you would like. I think I work at some point on Sunday though.
i would be down man. i can bring my tv also.

and im going to be there on saturday

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord

I think I've met tyler. Does he play ganon? Also, I could bring a tv, and possibly move the other one for you.

debaser

Smash Lord

hmm, this is interesting. may have work that day, but perhaps

DrunkenMaster

Smash Rookie
I'm definitely going tomorrow. Good chances for saturday too, but I can't give my word. Things come up, you know lol
Either way, its time for me to graduate from Lv9 comps.

keeper

Smash Champion
She would be unstoppable.

Also why is everyone wanting to play sheik now that I started using her?

First the green falco, now this. F it I'm going all Ganon forever.
People got inspired by my amazingly interesting to watch playstyle and want to copy how I play since it's awesome and amazing and I obviously play in a way that makes others want to mimic it.

Really though, I don't know. I use Red Falco anyway because red's the best.

"Red Sheik's got you read." -Tuen

Edit: btw sup Jeff I'll talk to you on IM when I get home if you're on. We need to discuss important matters.

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
Why are people forcing me to play Sheik dittos now? The ones I have with Foos are enough already. :<
I have a solution. No one plays sheik.

Edit: 10 seconds into the aftermath combo video my ears started bleeding. Pick some better music.

Second Edit: I agree with debaser, watch IHSB if you want to play a sick Samus. Also, if The Prime comes to Best Bout you can learn some stuff from him. He's a really good Washington Samus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom