• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
In order to make it to Best Bout this weekend I may need a ride back after the tourney; I was wondering if anyone thinks they might have an extra seat on the way back to Corvallis.

Binx

Smash Master
had fun everyone, i never realize how much i miss smash until i get to play it =D ill make sure and leave wed nights open from now on when i register for classes.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
:D had a lot of fun ryan thanks for bringing Project m it was way too fun gonna get it for sure. Need to start streaming that **** every wednesday.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
I am definitely fiending for some lucario. Pretty into him after Saturday. Think I'm going to give up the pit dream in favor of a character that actually has a finisher; even though he has no projectile I can spam. Still wanna play some of the others though. Definitely into that game.

:phone:

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Despite not doing as well as he wanted, Ryan has a filthy Lucas. Shane went fox on him and he ****ed Shane up so hard. He had to go into ***** mode to make it out of that set.

pandacheck

Smash Ace
BestBout was pretty tight, everyone I played was mad cool, and I like the fact that people actually play other chars besides all top tiers, WAD, Ryan, AlienAllen, tight playing your Pika's Jiggs and Ness's, Ryan's Jiggs is mad good, and that falco's pretty beast, nice clutch comebacks on meh, anyways I hope to play everyone else soon, Eugene and Corvallis.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I woulda loved to have played P:M with everyone. :\
Oh well, there's always next time.

Izayah

Smash Journeyman
BestBout was pretty tight, everyone I played was mad cool, and I like the fact that people actually play other chars besides all top tiers, WAD, Ryan, AlienAllen, tight playing your Pika's Jiggs and Ness's, Ryan's Jiggs is mad good, and that falco's pretty beast, nice clutch comebacks on meh, anyways I hope to play everyone else soon, Eugene and Corvallis.
DAAAANG, I missed you coming to your first best bout tournament? Well, I hope you had an awesome experience anyway, man.

Izayah

Smash Journeyman
Hey, guys... Big news... I have pretty much resigned as the smash guy from Best Bout at this point. I don't know what their plan is for things, or who to replace me with, but I do know that I'm pretty much done for now. Not sure how long this will last. Fun seeing you guys as much as I do.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Hey, guys... Big news... I have pretty much resigned as the smash guy from Best Bout at this point. I don't know what their plan is for things, or who to replace me with, but I do know that I'm pretty much done for now. Not sure how long this will last. Fun seeing you guys as much as I do.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! What will we do without the darkness. You will be missed.

Sidenote: Goodbye Oregon smash, you will be missed as well.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Will we still be seeing you at BestBout in a non-host role, Yugo?

Infinitora

Smash Journeyman
So I got ultra drunk in Portland last night and played smash for hours with random kids that knew some basic tech...No idea who they were or how they got here, but they want to play smash bros and will hopefully be looking up the boards soon lol.

Infinitora

Smash Journeyman
A friend paid for me to go to a housewarming party because at this time I'm poor as all get out sadly. Believe that I thought over and over about the lan this weekend :/. Sorry fellas, I would show support and come play if I could!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I had tons of fun playing Project: M with all of you. The LAN was a blast. :D

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Thanks brick and everyone. I don't know if it was the incredible amount of caffeine and lack of food making me think like a crack head on the way home, or losing to bad players reiterating that I am also as terrible and worse, but I am going to have to go forth with my previous statements after my month hiatus.

I can't play this game anymore. The terrible ways I treat my body at every tournament, and the expectations I put on myself aren't healthy. I thought it'd be different when I started again in September. I hoped I could play to have fun, and avoid my hyper competitive tendencies, but I can't unfortunately. So I'm done with melee again I believe.

I am thinking of picking up Street Fighter or Marvel when I return from tour though. Despite those still being competitive games, I also have zero expectations of myself due to my complete lack of knowledge with those games. This will enable me to fulfill my competitive drive and not hate myself hopefully.

Good luck everyone, and keep getting better.

Tldr; I will still be coming to best bout, but on different days now probably.

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
Thanks brick and everyone. I don't know if it was the incredible amount of caffeine and lack of food making me think like a crack head on the way home, or losing to bad players reiterating that I am also as terrible and worse, but I am going to have to go forth with my previous statements after my month hiatus.

I can't play this game anymore. The terrible ways I treat my body at every tournament, and the expectations I put on myself aren't healthy. I thought it'd be different when I started again in September. I hoped I could play to have fun, and avoid my hyper competitive tendencies, but I can't unfortunately. So I'm done with melee again I believe.

I am thinking of picking up Street Fighter or Marvel when I return from tour though. Despite those still being competitive games, I also have zero expectations of myself due to my complete lack of knowledge with those games. This will enable me to fulfill my competitive drive and not hate myself hopefully.

Good luck everyone, and keep getting better.

Tldr; I will still be coming to best bout, but on different days now probably.

holy ****. why is everyone quitting? kyle despite you HATING on me so so so so so so so much youre a bro and its chill hangin out with you.
you are good at this game.

please dont quit.

wqqqqwrt

Smash Cadet
holy ****. why is everyone quitting? kyle despite you HATING on me so so so so so so so much youre a bro and its chill hangin out with you.
you are good at this game.

please dont quit.
i second the "why r u quitting part!"

pandacheck

Smash Ace
I feel it Kyle, I've been playing this game for a while now, I'm not that great at it, I don't really have any drive to get any better, but its fun playing with people none the less, good luck on your life endeavors, and Jesse (Juce) is being drunk out in the frontyard with his shirt off eating some candy, he's waving at me right, lol

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Kyle, first I want to say that it was awesome seeing you at Smash tournaments again; bringing back the good ol' days of early 2000's. You, and all the other awesome players up at Best Bout, gave me reason to get back into playing some Melee; despite losing most of my technical skill, I had loads of fun with each and every friendly I played.

If you're beating yourself up over your losses, that's sort of cool because it shows how much you care about the game. What you should do is sit your 'Competitive Self' down and have a talk. The Competitive Self wants to win - or at least strive to win - which is an important trait to have for tournaments. What you have to tell the Competitive Self is that being overly-focused on winning is actually detrimental to winnning. That's right, wanting to win is great but it can interfere with actual gameplay and thus self-defeating.

Jumping into some other game can be good to loosen up and take the edge off the Competitive Self, but it won't address the core road block you will have to eventually overcome. You must apply the 'tech skill' practice you developed in Melee to also apply to other areas of competitive play such as focus, determination, tenacity and other forms of mental/emotional skills.

When you first start learning Fox and you mess up the Wave-Shine, you say to yourself 'I think I missed the timing on the Wavedash, I'm going to have to do that just a little faster'. Then you practice it again and again until you no longer have to think about what you're doing; you just do it. The same applies to finding where and how you 'choke' in a game. You look at where your focus is dropping or when things start going badly and you pinpoint what you were thinking and feeling at the time. You pinpoint that, then you change your thoughts and emotions to what is required to get your focus, drive, and determination back on track to playing the game.

Some players don't realize that this is a skill, just as much of a skill as throwing out SHFFLs, and those players consign themselves to defeat because they think they've come as far as they can go. The truth of the matter is that this is simply the next step in learning the game, one that can separate the good players from the great players. Where technical skill requires training your fingers and reflexes, 'emotional skill' requires training your thoughts and feelings.

Don't focus on winning - focus on playing. Focus on playing until you no longer have to think about it and it will become untethered, unconstrained, and intuitive. Notions of winning or losing are distractions. Such notions will never enter your mind because your mind will be without distractions; the master of this skill will be playing with no-thought.

I didn't really mean for this post to be so long, but I figured I could give some advice. If you're looking for another game, Street Fighter is pretty cool, but I'd like to suggest Skullgirls as well.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
He gave the reason, and it was a fairly good one. If you're no longer having fun, why continue?
This pretty much. I feel Kyle def, I can't handle myself when I dont do good. Smash isn't worth being disappointed in yourself over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom