• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
NAG, if my opinion's welcome, I'd say that if you're just looking for an overall fitness increase, but not necessarily a cosmetic makeover, pushups, pullups and running will do the trick just fine. Running gives your legs some work to do, pushups work your upper front, and pullups your upper back and arms (primarily).

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Well the plan atm is just a fitness increase. Then assuming i stick with my workouts i figure i might go on to something more cosmetic (using the term cosmetic makes me feel like i am talking about plastic surgery lol).

But i still need to ask, where can one find a bar to do pull up's outside of a gym?

Also thanks for all the replys

:phone:

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Fuuuuu-. 1.5 hour commute, rotations, 12 hour shifts, and stupid summer gym schedule aka closing early. Looks like it's just bodyweight workouts :( Also, I need to get a belt. There's only so heavy a dumbbell that you can hold between your legs before it sloughs your skin off.

Well the plan atm is just a fitness increase. Then assuming i stick with my workouts i figure i might go on to something more cosmetic (using the term cosmetic makes me feel like i am talking about plastic surgery lol).

But i still need to ask, where can one find a bar to do pull up's outside of a gym?

Pretty sure you can buy them at your local fitness store. Sports Authority, Academy's, maybe even Walmart lol.
Ya, you can buy them pull up bars for cheap. They fit in a doorway, so you can pretty much take it anywhere.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace

I'm using a bar in my shower that's used for curtains. A regular bar or even the top part of a door can work fine as long as it can support your weight.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
What a lackluster workout. Woke up from a nap, hour and half till gym closes...just couldn't go all out z.z...

I failed so hard on my push ups.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Gonna be taking the week off. Got three tests this Thursday, and Finals starts after that. Might resume after Thursday, but overall...I figure it's been a while since I took a week off (Early March) so why not?

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
So I went to the gym yesterday. After I did all of my lifting, I decided to hop on the treadmill, which was a HUGE mistake. About ten minutes in, I knew something was wrong. I felt light-headed and hot all over.

I discovered that I'm not eating enough and that I'm not drinking nearly enough water during workouts.

So, how often do you all drink water during a workout?

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
You should be constantly drinking water throughout the day, not just during your workouts.

I passed out during a workout because I didn't eat enough that day.

Getting enough food/sleep/water is essential.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
BUMP

Finished my first half marathon with a time of 2hrs 15min and 35sec. i never thought in my lifetime that I would be doing one; that's 5 miles more than I've ever ran in one session!

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Good job, man! I'm hoping to run some marathons this summer.

Let me ask you all a question.

Will it be too bad if I decide to make this my weekly gym schedule?

Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday-Sunday?

I do this because I work on MWF. My workout isn't super-intense. I'm just in there for about 1.5 hours doing machines for a little under an hour and then 45 minutes on the treadmill.

And by the way, I gained some weight! I've gone from 135 to 140 in the past six weeks since I've weighed myself. My current goal is just to gain a few pounds each month. I've been eating a lot more meat. It feels great.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't know why...but everytime I eat trailmix, it feels like the almonds and peanuts are just sitting in my stomach >_<

Get back to the gym on Monday. My energy levels have been severely low since Finals ended on Thursday. Looking forward to pumpy pumping the iron.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
New to this thread but I'll just cut to the chase... I'm 6'2'', fairly skinny, and not in great shape at all. I'm one of those guys that don't have to worry about weight problems, but I have very little muscle.

I'm ready for this to change. I don't mind being skinny at all, but I just wish I had some muscles I could show off you know? A nice pack and some decently sized biceps are my ultimate goal (aka the stuff the ladies like haha). The problem, however is that outside of recreational sports, I've never truly worked out before and I have no idea where to start.

That's where I'm hoping some of you could help. Are there any videos anyone could point me to for a work out noob or are there any tips anyone could give me? For the first time in like 5 summers I have a lot of free time to myself, and I feel like I can really achieve my goal if I dedicate myself to this. Thanks in advance!

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
New to this thread but I'll just cut to the chase... I'm 6'2'', fairly skinny, and not in great shape at all. I'm one of those guys that don't have to worry about weight problems, but I have very little muscle.

I'm ready for this to change. I don't mind being skinny at all, but I just wish I had some muscles I could show off you know? A nice pack and some decently sized biceps are my ultimate goal (aka the stuff the ladies like haha). The problem, however is that outside of recreational sports, I've never truly worked out before and I have no idea where to start.

That's where I'm hoping some of you could help. Are there any videos anyone could point me to for a work out noob or are there any tips anyone could give me? For the first time in like 5 summers I have a lot of free time to myself, and I feel like I can really achieve my goal if I dedicate myself to this. Thanks in advance!
1) Abs are all about diet. You just gotta lose the fat around the belly. 2) If you want the illusion of big arms, then you should go for triceps with a side of deltoids. Biceps don't really do too much for that big arm look. 3) Scoobyfitness on youtubs has a lot of good stuff you can to begin with. He shows individual exercises, proper form, and workout plans that involve minimal weights, though you do actually need weights.

If I were to pick my favorite exercises for said muscle groups it would be
1) Well, diet is diet. It's never been a problem and I'm eating like crap now, but just so ya know, you can lose weight and gain muscle mass. High protein foods like supplements, fish, or lean chicken are good protein sources.
2) For tri's I like weighted dips the most. I hold dumbbells in b/t mah legs and do dips. A belt is optimal since you can only hold so much b/t your legs before the handle shears your legs. Skullcrushers are ok. I like cable extensions for the burn and fine tuning.
3) I find the V-taper to be generally appealing to women. Nothing beats pull ups and weighted pull ups for that. If you can't do that many pull ups, jumping up and slowly letting yourself down will get you stronger till you can do your own bodyweight. Then you can use a belt or hold a dummbell in between your legs.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
1) Abs are all about diet. You just gotta lose the fat around the belly. 2) If you want the illusion of big arms, then you should go for triceps with a side of deltoids. Biceps don't really do too much for that big arm look. 3) Scoobyfitness on youtubs has a lot of good stuff you can to begin with. He shows individual exercises, proper form, and workout plans that involve minimal weights, though you do actually need weights.

If I were to pick my favorite exercises for said muscle groups it would be
1) Well, diet is diet. It's never been a problem and I'm eating like crap now, but just so ya know, you can lose weight and gain muscle mass. High protein foods like supplements, fish, or lean chicken are good protein sources.
2) For tri's I like weighted dips the most. I hold dumbbells in b/t mah legs and do dips. A belt is optimal since you can only hold so much b/t your legs before the handle shears your legs. Skullcrushers are ok. I like cable extensions for the burn and fine tuning.
3) I find the V-taper to be generally appealing to women. Nothing beats pull ups and weighted pull ups for that. If you can't do that many pull ups, jumping up and slowly letting yourself down will get you stronger till you can do your own bodyweight. Then you can use a belt or hold a dummbell in between your legs.
Thanks for the info! After doing a little research I think I might have found a good routine to start out with just to get back into shape. I do have a couple of more questions though for you or anyone else because you all seem pretty experienced.

So after 4 hours of basketball today (bad idea I'm aching all over) I went to weigh myself. I am currently 154 lbs at 6'2''. At the same time however, I have very little muscle in my arms and I noticed that I have developed a tiny gut. Nothing big that anyone else would notice but just enough of a slim increase in size for me to notice. Correct me if I'm wrong but what that tells me is that I'm really underweight because of my lack of muscle instead of just a lack of body fat. Needless to say I'm vastly underweight for my height but I don't mind my "tall and lean" look so I'm not trying to get huge or anything. I just want to convert my body fat (primarily in my arms and stomach) into muscle.

To keep things short I just have one main question: What kind of protein diet should I focus on eating exactly? Should I try to stay away from stuff like chicken and beef? Should I include some sort of protein shakes in my eating habits? Take note that I don't gain fat from foods easily at all so I'm thinking I might need to start eating more than I normally do in general.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
Just eat more in general; you're a pretty skinny guy. Think of protein shakes as a substitute as a meal. If you want to get more calories in, include them in your diet.

Stuff your face and eat until you think your stomach is about to explode. Then eat some more.

Repeat several times a day to gain weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byfc6SBqM-w

theeboredone

Smash Legend
After a workout, it's generally best to use water. Especially if it's whey. Feel free to use milk later on in the day or off days.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
What do I mix with protein power? Milk?
Water's the best but really milks not that much worse. Take it slightly before workouts if you're using milk I say.

Anyway on a different note I bought a pull up bar (why do I not already have one of these) as I want a better feeling back workout. My back is fine but I'm sure I can do much better workouts with this.

Step 1: Don't work

Step 2: Be rich

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
1. sleep
2. diet

quit smoking

**** just got real.
poor diet, and minimal sleep combined with smoking which even further decreases my appetite. I'm in food depression right now =(.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
So i feel like i should post here from time to time to keep myself honest.

So i have still been doing my push ups and they r going well, so not much to say here

The weather finally became nice enough that i have been able to start running, right now my stamina is terrible, but i have only been able to run 3 times atm so i will hold off on worrying about my stamina for now

It looks like pull ups r off the table atm, if i got a bar and set it up in a doorway and something went wrong like parts of my house breaking i would be in ****, so even if its unlikely anything would happen i am not taking chances.

I have started doing crunches instead, just started with them and so far things r going well.

Lastly i have been thinking about doing squats. My major issue is i am worried about my knees. I am already running which worries me a little and i drive around all day which kinda strains my knees as well. So i am asking if u guys think its worth doing squats? And should i be worried about hurting my knees? (I dont have a history of bad knees but i have had some pain in one of my knees in the past but nothing major)

Jane

Smash Hero
hey guys, forgot this thread existed.

about a month ago, i started working out seriously. before, i would work out for maybe 3-4 weeks and stop. every time. this happened like, ~5 times in the past. and i would never do cardio. well, something inside of me changed (and it wasnt for a girl! wow!), and i realized i was tired of not being fit. i want to be able to hold my own in any physical challenge that comes my way, and i want to look good without a shirt.

so now, on MWF, i do 20 minutes of cardio, all bodyweight workout (gonna get weights soon), and then play dodgeball for about 2 hours in the evening. on TThS, i run around a 3 mile track for 40 minutes, timing how long it takes me to complete the three miles every time. i cant run it nonstop yet, i have to take walking breaks every once in a while, but my time is improving and that's all i want from myself. my fastest time so far is 32:22.

basically, i've found the inner motivation to be fit, and i love it. i've never felt better, i have way more confidence in myself when i play dodgeball and basketball, and the best part is i'm barely a month into my transformation! i know that this time, i'm not gonna stop -- i couldn't imagine skipping a day of either working out or running, it makes me feel too good to NOT do it.

so yeah hi and stuff. i'll be posting in here more often from now on.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
So i feel like i should post here from time to time to keep myself honest.

So i have still been doing my push ups and they r going well, so not much to say here

The weather finally became nice enough that i have been able to start running, right now my stamina is terrible, but i have only been able to run 3 times atm so i will hold off on worrying about my stamina for now

It looks like pull ups r off the table atm, if i got a bar and set it up in a doorway and something went wrong like parts of my house breaking i would be in ****, so even if its unlikely anything would happen i am not taking chances.

I have started doing crunches instead, just started with them and so far things r going well.

Lastly i have been thinking about doing squats. My major issue is i am worried about my knees. I am already running which worries me a little and i drive around all day which kinda strains my knees as well. So i am asking if u guys think its worth doing squats? And should i be worried about hurting my knees? (I dont have a history of bad knees but i have had some pain in one of my knees in the past but nothing major)

If it's nothing major then yes do squats, they help more than you think I've learned from here.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Hey guys just a heads up... I found a really informative website for anyone that's unfamiliar with getting into shape efficiently like I am. http://scoobysworkshop.com/losing-weight-and-building-6-pack-abs/

It has some REALLY good tips about weight loss in particular that I've never considered. This article (http://scoobysworkshop.com/lose-fat-the-easy-way/) in particular about eating all of your calories as opposed to drinking them was extremely helpful and explained a lot in terms of why I have a tiny gut... I drink a LOT of sodas, juices, etc and I probably got a ton of calories off of those drinks alone. Looks like I'm going on a strict water, milk, and protein shake diet!

Jane

Smash Hero
^something i completely forgot to mention in my post -- SCOOBY IS ****ING AMAZING.

i've been following his beginner workout, and watching a lot of his videos. he is so helpful, intelligent, and just an overall great person, as is easy to tell from all of his videos/blog entries.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Speaking of which I think if you can get into a routine this becomes like second nature, I actually think I'm almost addicted to it, I'm genuinely excited about my pull up bar arriving.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Comes home from work to see pull up bar has arrived.

Puts pull up bar together.

Does 20 minute warm ups.

Uses pull up bar, pulls muscle after a few reps. :(

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Lol Pluvia.

Sucks man, sorry to hear that.

I looked in the mirror this morning, and really thought hard.

I've been working out steadily for a few months now, and I feel wonderful. I had my doubts about it, but I feel more confident, I have increased strength, and I'm only gonna continue to work hard.

I can't wait to work on my diet during the summer. At this rate, I think I'll be ready for college.

Big_R

Smash Champion
Comes home from work to see pull up bar has arrived.

Puts pull up bar together.

Does 20 minute warm ups.

Uses pull up bar, pulls muscle after a few reps. :(
Don't underestimate a good warm up. Some jumping jacks or skips to get the heart rate up and some focused twists and stretches can do wonders. Just a good 5 minute warm up should
help prevent injury.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
WOW! I had no idea this thread existed! I actually went looking for a thread like this a few weeks ago because I've recently started lifting more and needed advice but I couldn't find it. I must be blind as a bat!

I decided to start working out (mostly cardio) and changed my diet January 2nd. The before picture I want to say was taken December 27th and second one was May 4th or 5thish.

Here is a before and after picture of me.

Now that I have said a bit about me I was looking for some beginner tips on lifting. As of right now I mostly do full body work outs (MWF) on machines because I am a pretty big novice of the whole concept of lifting (free weights/pullies) and splitting. I usually do about 3 sets of 12 on the vertical chest, compound row, and leg press until I feel muscle exhaustion and then I do one more set if possible. Are there any things that I need to remember before, during, and after lifting?

Also can anyone help me understand macros? Posted for some help on bodybuilding.com and got flamed to hell.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
I changed my diet and exercised everyday. =)

I'm half Filipino so my diet was basically filled with rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I drank soda all the time and ate fast food almost 4 times a week. Looking back I am quite embarrassed and ashamed of how I acted.

When I changed my diet I basically cut out most carbs and focused on lean protein (chicken and turkey mostly) and vegetables. Whenever I felt hungry I would eat servings of fruits, vegetables, low-fat yogurt, or part-skim mozzarella.

When I went to the gym I would solely focus on cardio. Since I was 325 pounds running was out of the question, so I decided to use an elliptical due to it being low-impact. I started slow doing about 30-45 minutes a day. Over time though I started to build up endurance and would push myself to my limits (currently can hit about 8.5-9 miles in about an hour).

Now a days I still use the elliptical or an arch trainer on my cardio days and I walk the treadmill on my lifting days.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Well I hope you feel very proud of yourself you've accomplished something in 4 months that the vast majority of overweight America will never accomplish in their entire lives.

Big ups to you, sir.

Top Bottom