• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

Mrs. Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
^great little write up, and I just wanna add in another vital piece of the fitness puzzle: MOTIVATION.
I am in better shape physically than before I had my baby. Mini Baha LOVES when I go running with him in the jogging stroller. He expects me to take him every day. Thank goodness for my little one keeping me motivated.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
what's up people. For about a month n a half I started a combination of dieting, pumping iron, and cardio. I've lost a significant amount of weight and have a pretty good 4 pack going. My only problem is that damn lower fat on my stomach and my love handles. I can't seem to lose it. Does anybody have any advice for me or do you think i just need to keep up what i'm doing and give it more time.

Jane

Smash Hero
^and for men, fat around the stomach is the LAST to go. so yup, time and dedication.

so a little earlier today i used a fancy scale that measured a bunch of stuff aside from my weight. you put in your age and height before it weighs you and then it gives you your body fat %, muscle mass %, daily caloric expenditure and some other cool stats. honestly i think its not entire accurate because (aside from the fact that its just a scale) it said my body fat percentage is at 5.7%, and feel like thats a bit low. yes, i am a skinny guy but 5.7% is reeaaally low. but yeah, good news is now i have a clear goal of putting on weight. gonna be eating a lot more fat from healthy sources.

oh and i also learned that eating a good protein based meal for breakfast is extremely important. so i will be doing that also.

Jane

Smash Hero
i would say its much better to eat breakfast before you run, simply because you should be eating breakfast by your first ~30 minutes of being awake. and breakfast really is the most important meal of the day.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Speaking of breakfast:

For you morning runners out there, do you eat before or after you run? I've tried both and I'm on the fence about which is better.
You don't obviously want to fill yourself up prior to a run, but you should get some food in if you are one of those runners who go for a long run. If you don't have a big stomach in the morning, something I'd recommend would be peanut butter on a bagel or toasted bread. OJ is also a nice drink to have.

I also have read (and it's sort of obvious when you think about) that your body uses fat storage to supply you if you run on empty in the morning. So it might be a smart way to burn fat.

And then when you come back, you can have your super serious breakfast.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Eggs for breakfast ftw. <3

If I run first thing in the morning, they tend to only be 30 minute runs currently, I don't usually have breakkie. If I'm heading to the gym in the morning though, I will fill up on something light, like a banana and a boiled egg, or a small bowl of museli just to have some energies.

Mrs. Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
I tried eating a cereal bar and a glass of water to drink. Seemed to do the trick this morning. I don't care about weight loss, I just want to maintain my current weight. I don't need to lift weights, thanks to constantly carrying my 25 lb son around. I only use a stroller to run, but never throughout the day. Keeps my arm muscles looking great.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Something slightly sugary in the morning is always good, probably the only good time to have something sugary is in the morning since your body has been fasting in sleep.

Well... I suppose after a workout too.

Jane

Smash Hero
mrs. b: now just add in a small cup of yogurt/cottage cheese/milk or a piece of toast with peanut butter and youll have that essential morning protein! :)

rinisan

Smash Apprentice
You can eat whatever you want man. Just buy enough Protein Powders and keep it up in the Gym. Lots of my friends do that and they don't have to worry about what to eat what not to eat.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I am magnificently lazy, so I got a protein shake with carbs in it.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yeah really. :(

On the bright side, it is absolutely delicious and satisfying.

Jane

Smash Hero
regular, reasonably vigorous cardio.

or if you want to take the unhealthier and easier route, just eat less than what you eat right now.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I hate cardio, sort of paid the price for it playing football yesterday (real football).

Well actually that was just because I hadn't played in 3 years.

Exercise for me should be like bedroom endeavours, in and out as fast as possible.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Cardio is pretty fun (played some tennis yesterday)

(Even running a track isn't so bad if u got an i pod and some good tunes.

:phone:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Swimming is the only tolerable cardio.

I need to buy a waterproof mp3 and play Zora's Domain on loop.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Running is pretty good when isn't more like a slalom.

Jane

Smash Hero
not sure if actually thankful.

i used to hate running. simply because i never did it and didnt see how it could possibly be fun. now that i actually run, i "get" it. seeing your slow, steady improvement is fun. the feeling you get mid and post run is great. it gives you time to be outside which most of us need.

and this isnt even taking into account the long term endurance, leg strength, and confidence benefits.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Swimming is the only tolerable cardio.

I need to buy a waterproof mp3 and play Zora's Domain on loop.
I hate swimming so to me thats the worst type of cardio

Also i have song of storms as my ringtone atm so every time it rains i feel like its my fault lol

:phone:

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
I've come to really love running. I used to hate it and would opt to using low impact machines like elliptical and arch trainers. Now running outside and treadmills give me such a high. I try to push myself and get a mile done as quickly as possible on treadmills and try to take in my surroundings when I go running outside.

Another thing I have really grown to love is lifting. I remember I was scared to lift because I was so obsessed with getting skinnier. However after lifting all my clothes fit better (finally can fit into large) and my posture even my posture is better. This weekend I actually went out in public Baltimore with just a undershirt tank on and did not feel self conscious at all. It was probably one of the happiest moments in a long time.

Top Bottom