• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

Chinaux

Smash Ace
BB.com is pretty credible. You just need to know how to tell who is a troll and who isn't.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
But Meeeeenoooo teenagers need calories to growwwww

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
but im gonna bulk once my bf% is low enough:colorful:
Or you could just eat well and work out since body fat % is a percentage and so by working out and gaining muscle you inherently lower it as long as you aren't a ice cream gorging pig.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
My bulk is going awesome!!! I'm pretty steady at 190, which was a goal I was going to hit by December. So woo go me. New goal is 200, and I might even get that by even May, if not sooner.

I attribute this to not only the Growth Factor-9 shiz, but really just how I've been maximizing its use with a really consistent mass gainer shake for breakfast and in the evening and a REALLY challenging regimen at the gym (I'm pushing the highest weights I've ever pushed). Now if only I could sleep properly. I stay up late every night and I'm not getting enough rest.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
BB.com is pretty credible. You just need to know how to tell who is a troll and who isn't.
Lee Labrada seems like a pretty credible bruh brah.

Now if only I could sleep properly. I stay up late every night and I'm not getting enough rest.
I can totally relate. I have to sleep around 7 PM to wake up at 4 AM to get 8-9 hours and my workout before class.

Grandeza

Smash Master
I was supposed to do 3 sets of 4 paused deadlifts with 201 pounds today, but was really itching to work up to a heavyish pause deadlift single. Decided that 251 seemed like a good number to aim for. Ended up hitting it for a double, thought about going for a third. Really happy with how my deadliftings been going lately. Hope everyone else's training is going well.

Vid for anyone curious: http://instagram.com/p/x8DUwWAhka/?modal=true

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm excited to start my first cutting cycle. I has convinced to end my bulk for the summer and start working toward more aesthetic goals. I'm not really sure how to do this, but I have some general ideas: cut fat out of my diet, eat protein constantly, do hardworking cardio, not eating before bed.

Switched my mass gainer to just a regular Muscletech protein, and switching over to carton egg whites. Let's see how this goes.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Bump.

A little update. I'm about to hit day 50 of my 84 day program. It's gonna be tough maintaining my routine as my spring semester starts this week and Mondays/Wednesday, I'll be at campus from 8 AM to 10 PM.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Hey guys. Don't mean to double post but I had a question:

I'm going to need to restock on protein soon. I was checking out the BB.com store and I saw this there. I'm on the fence of getting it and I was hoping to get some opinions on it and if I should or shouldn't. I've only had OP's Gold Standard Natural and MuscleTech's Nitrotech so far.

Winnnn _AKA_Walt Piffney

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Winnnnnnnn
I made my own thread (because I had no idea this place was so cool lol... so I'll just repost from there)

What program (work out) are you currently running?

What spurred your fitness craze?

Whats your favorite exercise?

Favorite lift (if any)?

How long can you go without hitting the gym before you start to feel like your "falling off"?

Your "mission statement" or maybe I should call it conviction. What kept you in the gym beyond the initial new years resolution and or "girls like em shredded brah" motivation that last about a month lol.

How has it positively effected other areas of your life?

What's your niche (crossfit, powerlifter, bodybuilder, or general health)?

What body part(s) are you most proud of?

Mental benefits since starting your journey?

Fitness goals for this year?

Gif of me hitting a new PR of 335 on my dead lift... so you guys don't think I'm just running my mouth lol. A friend at my gym had it loaded up already and I had just brung DL's back into my regime after about a months rest so I said eff it and went at it. Not my favorite but definitely my biggest and obviously the easiest for us lank tall types. Going for 405 (4 plates on each side) by the end of the year. Wish me Luck.

Any tips related to packing shakes with calories and or small snacks and food chuck full of carbs, calories, and protein I'm all ears. I've packed on about 10-14 pounds of muscles sense I started lifting 10-12 months ago but if I took my diet as seriously as I do weightlifting and the gym I could do wayyyyy better lol.

Last edited:

Winnnn _AKA_Walt Piffney

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Winnnnnnnn
Current program is a custom version of SS or SL 5 x 5 first number is reps and second is sets. Majority of my lifting is done in the 80-90% of my max range (i.e. powerlifting or strength focused) all compound lifts. I just hope it doesn't catch up with me lol. Strong friends dropping like flies around me with shoulder and back injuries and what not.

Squats 5 x 5
Pulls ups 5 x 3 / Deadlift 5 x 5 (every other workout)
Military press 3 x 5
Abs - Ab pull down 30 x 1 / L-sits level one progression hold for 2 mins x 3 or Plank hold for 2mins x 3
Bench 5 x 3, 3 x 1, 1 x 1
Farmers carry 3 sets 4 laps for each

Isolation work (stuff I do for fun)
Triceps - Dips 15 x 2, Tricep push down machine 10 x 2

Rest day

Rinse and repeat

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
What program
(work out) are you currently running?

I'm currently finishing the 12 week Lean Body program by Lee Labrada.

What spurred your fitness craze?

I've been in the fitness race for about almost 2 years. It wasn't till last December when I decided what I was doing wasn't working and decided to follow a program to get where I want. In the beginning though it was because overweight and wanted to lose that.

Whats your favorite exercise?

I think lying leg lifts. I really feel the burn doing sets of those.

Favorite lift (if any)?

Military shoulder press. Honestly I feel like Superman pushing up the world when I'm near my limit.

How long can you go without hitting the gym before you start to feel like your "falling off"?

A day. Honestly throughout 12 weeks I've been on my program, I've only not gone to the gym for two times. Once was for Apex 2015 and the other yesterday. I was so tired, hungry, and exhausted from all day class that I couldn't make it to the gym.

Your "mission statement" or maybe I should call it conviction. What kept you in the gym beyond the initial new years resolution and or "girls like em shredded brah" motivation that last about a month lol.

Currently I'm interested in probation, FBI/DEA, and U.S Marshals. For those careers, you HAVE to be physically fit. I want to make sure my body is as prepared and trained as my mind is. The fact that this will affect my future is what keeps me going.

How has it positively effected other areas of your life?

I do feel more confident in myself. I am also more active than I've ever been.

What's your niche (crossfit, powerlifter, bodybuilder, or general health)?

General health.

What body part(s) are you most proud of?

My forearms and calfs. I like to throw out that I have calfs of steel.

Mental benefits since starting your journey?

Confidence and resilience. I know I can get things done when it comes down to it.

Fitness goals for this year?

Go down BF%. Last time I checked, I hit 14.7% BF which was great because before that I believe I was around 17%. It has been a month since I last checked so if I am below 15%, I'd like to hit 12% or lower.

Last edited:

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
Sup boys

I've been trying to implement squatting everyday into my routine (eventually working to squatting to a max every day with a max clean). Yeah, it sounds crazy. But the thing is, I've been working out for like 4 years so far and I can't even squat 2x BW yet. It hurts my ego knowing that I'm so weak. One day I want to hit 200kg (440lbs) and I think this way would help me accomplish that if I get into lifting as much as i am into smash. I was inspired by this article: https://www.t-nation.com/training/max-out-on-squats-every-day. My friend said he tried this and he ended up tearing his meniscus within the first month, so I put that thought in the back of my head for a few months.

THEN i saw this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_m2vpzoSNs

and I thought, hell why not give it a shot?

Right now it's week 3 and im slowly moving up to squatting every day. 3 days a week i work up to a single that is about 80% of my max (1 day back squat, 1 day front squat, 1 day back squat). The days in between I just squat the bar for sets of 10. Twice a week on my empty bar squatting days I go for power clean singles (about 80% of my max again). I haven't hit a true max yet. I'm working on steadily increasing the days I squat to 80% and in the next couple of months will start to incorporate maxing out. If I feel any sort of pain I just stop for the day to be safe.

Anyone want to join me on this grand adventure to gainsville???? =D

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Bump for gains.

Sup boys

I've been trying to implement squatting everyday into my routine (eventually working to squatting to a max every day with a max clean). Yeah, it sounds crazy. But the thing is, I've been working out for like 4 years so far and I can't even squat 2x BW yet. It hurts my ego knowing that I'm so weak. One day I want to hit 200kg (440lbs) and I think this way would help me accomplish that if I get into lifting as much as i am into smash. I was inspired by this article: https://www.t-nation.com/training/max-out-on-squats-every-day. My friend said he tried this and he ended up tearing his meniscus within the first month, so I put that thought in the back of my head for a few months.

THEN i saw this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_m2vpzoSNs

and I thought, hell why not give it a shot?

Right now it's week 3 and im slowly moving up to squatting every day. 3 days a week i work up to a single that is about 80% of my max (1 day back squat, 1 day front squat, 1 day back squat). The days in between I just squat the bar for sets of 10. Twice a week on my empty bar squatting days I go for power clean singles (about 80% of my max again). I haven't hit a true max yet. I'm working on steadily increasing the days I squat to 80% and in the next couple of months will start to incorporate maxing out. If I feel any sort of pain I just stop for the day to be safe.

Anyone want to join me on this grand adventure to gainsville???? =D
I'd join you on your trip to Gainsville but I've kinda developed a fear of squats since my brother messed up and ended up hospitalized a month ago.

Grandeza

Smash Master
Did a mock meet recently and hit a 285 squat, 185 pause bench, and 350 deadlift @ 143 lbs bodyweight. Pretty happy with progress lately. Next meet is scheduled for August 1 so hopefully I'll be totaling in the 900s by then. Just started Candito's 6 week program.

Bump for gains.

I'd join you on your trip to Gainsville but I've kinda developed a fear of squats since my brother messed up and ended up hospitalized a month ago.
Yikes. How'd that happen?

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm not going to squat everyday who has the time for that is that even effective

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Watch TV shows aimed at housewives.
Or watch My 600 lb Life. You won't want to open your eyes.

Edit: This show also has the added bonus of helping you eat right and lose those calories

Last edited:

Grandeza

Smash Master
I'm not going to squat everyday who has the time for that is that even effective
For more information you should read "The Bulgarian Manual" by Greg Nuckols. It's free and contains a ton of information on high frequency, high intensity training. The short answer to your question is for almost everyone it will be massively effective in the short term, and potentially long term as well but with slightly more complex programming.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ok sup guys? I'm really wanting to start a good work-out regime again as I feel terribly out of shape, and in need to relieve some stress other than my usual joint or beer (preferably both actually).

I used to lift for about 4 years or so when I quitted at age 22 about 2 years ago. I've had moments where I lifted occiasionally or tried to maintain a regime, however my main reason of quitting was pain in the shoulders (could be the result of over-training). It frustrated me greatly when I had to quit, but I think my shoulders are good again now.

I weight about 220 lbs, or 100 kgs and am 6'1 tall or 1.89 meter. I cannot estimate my fat %s currently, but am still strong builded at least. Most of my strenght comes from my upper back and legs to, but I believe my chest and biceps are also still well above average in strenght. Lower back, triceps, abs and shoulders will probably need the most work.

Can anyone recommend a starting regime for me? I know I should focus most on compound excercises, but I need a good split of muscle groups. For example, I will not train shoulders the day after chest day. I need my rest, as I won't be using protein shakes and the likes. I want to go as natural as possible (I know there's a huge difference between protein shakes and roids, don't get me wrong- used whey in the past).

Anyone want to help a Kong out?

Grandeza

Smash Master
My recommendation for novices is generally Candito's Linear Program, specifically the strength/control variant. You can check it out online, but its essentially and Upper/Lower split. I think it's a fantastic mix of strength and size.

Regarding protein shakes, do you have any reason? In terms of protein, there's really no difference between eating 20g of protein from chicken and 20g of protein from whey. Regardless, not a big deal in terms of progress. As long as you eat enough protein it doesn't matter where it's coming from.

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
Any of you go to Olympia Weekend?
Hey guys. Don't mean to double post but I had a question:

I'm going to need to restock on protein soon. I was checking out the BB.com store and I saw this there. I'm on the fence of getting it and I was hoping to get some opinions on it and if I should or shouldn't. I've only had OP's Gold Standard Natural and MuscleTech's Nitrotech so far.
I firmly stand by ISO protein being a scam, to be honest protein powder is too but it's hard to hit that protein amount off just food. Regular Gold Standard is good enough and not bad for you even on an IIFYM standpoint, you're literally just paying more for a slightly better protein ratio per less weight. The thing is 2 scoops of that **** wouldn't even be absorbed by your body at one time anyway and you'll process it out.

Last edited:

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
Here let me post before and after for you guys and give you stats. If there's anything you guys would like to know I'd like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable.
I started lifting at 150 skinny fat.
Before: 6 months into Lifting
http://i60.tinypic.com/2wgbtdk.png
I was 150 at that point I think my stats were
Bench: 155bb x 5 db 80s x 5
Dl: 315 X 3
Sq: 225bb x 5 ATG
OHP: 95bb X 5 50s x 5
Curl: Strict EZ Curl = 20s each side x 5 db 30s x 5
Pretty weak.
After: 2 Years 8 Months
http://tinypic.com/r/r0r341/8 - Front
http://tinypic.com/r/1yodiq/8 - Front w/ Leg
http://tinypic.com/r/2rgibuc/8 - Back
175lbs atm
Bench: Comfortable: 275 x 8 315 x 3 w/ minor spot DB 120s x 10 (all my gym got) incline 225 x 5 Decline 275 x 5 (lol)
DL: 465 x 2, 405 x 5 (working set)
Squat: 315 x 5 ATG (lol sad i kno)
OHP: 205 x 5, DB 95s x 5
Curl: 115 x 5, DB 60s x 5 each arm

Started Cutting at the beginning, then after 6 months nonstop bulk
Nutrients:
Food
ON 100% Gold Standard
ON Super Mass/ Dynamtize Mass/ CellTech Mass
Pills: Omega-3, run of the mill multis. (in truth I barely even take them, not using atm)

Anyway thinking about hopping on gear start of next year.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
How long have you been working out for? Read above at what they are saying and I agree, I may have cut at first but unless you're overweight you should be bullking from the beginning
Yeah, that's why. I kept switching from bulk to cut but I've started bulking and am sticking with it. I have mass but my lifts are lacking a little.
I've been at it for a year but the past few months my bench weight increased like 40 lbs just from me actually eating more

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that's why. I kept switching from bulk to cut but I've started bulking and am sticking with it. I have mass but my lifts are lacking a little.
I've been at it for a year but the past few months my bench weight increased like 40 lbs just from me actually eating more
How much do you actually weigh right now and do you have a workout buddy. Yeah actually having sufficient nutrients in your body + a little extra fat goes a long way. Going back to the workout buddy is that when you're spotted no matter what you subconsciously tell yourself it will be okay and you won't die. Even if you have the strength for it you literally mind game yourself without one.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Why is this thread so dead?
I think it's a good idea.

Maybe someone could make a new one.
I was already double posting. Didn't want to triple post if there were no more active posters.

Any of you go to Olympia Weekend?

I firmly stand by ISO protein being a scam, to be honest protein powder is too but it's hard to hit that protein amount off just food. Regular Gold Standard is good enough and not bad for you even on an IIFYM standpoint, you're literally just paying more for a slightly better protein ratio per less weight. The thing is 2 scoops of that **** wouldn't even be absorbed by your body at one time anyway and you'll process it out.
Thanks. I bought a 11lb bag from Myprotein instead a while back. Still lasting me to this day.

AL3Xxs

Smash Cadet
NNID
AL3Xxs
3DS FC
1762-2852-8466
Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone has any advice a diet that will help me gain muscle. I've been going to the gym for about 3 months but ive seem to stop progressing. I'm pretty sure my problem is I'm not eating enough calories, but I'm also finding it difficult to eat more than usual. If it helps, im 20, 5,7, and weigh 130.

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
I was already double posting. Didn't want to triple post if there were no more active posters.

Thanks. I bought a 11lb bag from Myprotein instead a while back. Still lasting me to this day.
That's not something to worry about cause to be honest I plan on staying for a long time. It's funny though because I'm pretty confident with my Smash game and if I ever have issues I lurk before posting. So I might end up having a higher post total towards this thread vs actual Smash.

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone has any advice a diet that will help me gain muscle. I've been going to the gym for about 3 months but ive seem to stop progressing. I'm pretty sure my problem is I'm not eating enough calories, but I'm also finding it difficult to eat more than usual. If it helps, im 20, 5,7, and weigh 130.
A lot to put it the simple stupid way. You probably have a fast metabolism and you have been going to the gym so I would suggest trying to tack on a 4000 calorie diet consisting of mostly protein, fat, and carbs in a 50% protein, 30% fat, 20% carb ratio. It's fine if you use protein powder but try not to substitute calories with a mass gainer simply from the cost perspective of food being cheaper (actual groceries, white rice & red meat a best) and 4000 is actually pretty doable to the average person i.e Cleaner fast food (just stay away from unnecessary sugars). That's what will give you a lot of bad weight, fat is fine because it does boost lifts but I'd stick to a 15 - 17% bf bulk. As for finding it difficult to eat I would suggest make actual times, you don't have to take it all at once but it is possible to eat 1000 calories four times a day. You can mix it up just be careful about carbs Wake up like 6 am, eat lunch 12 pm, dinner 5, and before bed. Breakfast use eggs, red meat, and white rice (1/2 a cup tops) glass of milk and try to hit 25 g of protein. Lunch: I like to get a protein style 4x4 In'N'Out burger for pleasure sometimes, 800 calories 40 g protein. When I don't get that I'll have more red meat, HEAVILY BUTTERED steamed Broccoli/Boil Spinach, Butter High in Fat + Calories. Hit the gym like 2 hours later (you can do after dinner if you want, or any time really just make sure you're spacing out your protein. Wait like an hour then take a protein shake 2 scoops, most commonly it'll estimate 150 calories + 50 g protein, you can use milk to add more calories but adds bit of sugar & extra protein you're going to pee out. Note: It's complete bro science of having to take a shake immediately after the gym, your body processes protein the same no matter what. Wait another 2 1/2 - 3 hours, White meat like pre made chicken breast pieces (spice it up because plain chicken tastes boring), more butter sauteed vegetables, and another 1/2 cup of white rice. Then right before you go to bed eat more white meat (potatoes if you can but salt them) and another cup of whole milk, the calories at night from the potatoes as well as the rice through today will most likely be stored as fat as lifting probably only burns 150-200ish calories but that's what you want. Stick to a diet like this and you'll put a lot of good weight, and some bad weight but that's what cutting is for. If you're wondering "but boiling/steaming vegetables take away the other macro nutrients from it" to be honest vegetables take up a good amount of space in your stomach and you can get the other stuff from multi vitamins, might as well make the vegetables calorie'd up.

You're welcome,
Sincerely Muscle_Senpai.

Last edited:

Chinaux

Smash Ace
How much do you actually weigh right now and do you have a workout buddy. Yeah actually having sufficient nutrients in your body + a little extra fat goes a long way. Going back to the workout buddy is that when you're spotted no matter what you subconsciously tell yourself it will be okay and you won't die. Even if you have the strength for it you literally mind game yourself without one.
I'm currently 6' 180 lb, I plan on bulking to either 200 or until the end of November, then I'm gonna shred

Top Bottom