• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new wavedash?

Eggm

Smash Hero
The vid in the OP was removed, anyways jfox has been doing this with snake for weeks now.. Lol.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
it's frustrating to see this as possible only with U-smashes. If it was preformed by canceling your Dash-attack with a jump, we would have ourselves a revolution in Brawl.

Though, I must admit I'm glad to see something that requires about the same figure dexterity as a wavedash (it's very easy with Snake/Wario, haven't tried it with others.) Yes, I am trying to imply WD'ing was easy.

=P

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Not the most useful tech but can be in certain situations. It IS possible with all characters but the sliding distance is based upon the acceleration the character's dash attack causes. Characters like Lucas's and G and W's dash attacks which slow them down actually make their up smashes slide less than they normally would so it's not particularly useful. Sheik and Snake on the other hand slide much further because their dash attacks greatly increase their speed. As far as I know this cannot be canceled into anything other than an up smash or a grab. This technique is very cool with Snake if you throw a grenade first. You end up sliding past, grabbing the grenade, using his up smash and are able to quickly throw the grenade which explodes almost immediately by that point. Not only is it sweet looking but you've got a good shot at hiting with either the initial up smash, the mortar falling down or the grenade toss.

waks

Smash Journeyman
As far as I know this cannot be canceled into anything other than an up smash or a grab.
You mean, you cancel this into a grab? How so?

Sorry, if this was mentioned in earlier posts, didnt bother reading them up :(

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
Controls: dash->A->cstick Up

For Snake's, since the first time it was found, I've just done dash -> A -> cstick Up, and I have NO problems sliding half way across FD. This is with Tap Jump off.

Does that mean that the exact same method will work for Link/Sheik/Etc?

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
The timing may be tighter, but the control scheme is still correct, right?

Essentially, the Z+Up portion of the originally stated motion is covered by c-stick up, so as long as I can do it within the shorter time frame, a dash-> A->C-stick up immediately should still accomplish it.

PR3Y11

Smash Journeyman
the link doesnt actually work anymore..... but from reading what some of the posts said it seems like this could be it.....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Q2gfVEf0k

if this is the case i think it's the DLX cancel DONE RIGHT!
i've been trying to do this for about a week now but can only do it on impact, i guess my fingers just dont move quick enough
oh well.. some more practicing XD

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
I'm just trying to make sure so that when I go home tonight, I'm checking the right stuff.

Regardless of the character used, we are essentially trying to cancel a dash attack into an upsmash, even if it's done so fast the dash attack never actually 'shows', right?

PR3Y11

Smash Journeyman
^...... yes!
after reviewing that video a few times it seems that there is a slight flash of light if you do it right... either that or you do your usmash when it flashes

JFox

Smash Hero
The title of this thread really needs to be changed. This is nothing like wavedashing in its uses, its really just an extended hyphen smash. Just called it a super hyphen smash or something gay like that...

Anyway yeah, I use this with snake a decent amount since his usmash is very different from most. But with most characters I don't see it as a big deal, probably not the most useful of techniques...

PR3Y11

Smash Journeyman
The title of this thread really needs to be changed. This is nothing like wavedashing in its uses, its really just an extended hyphen smash. Just called it a super hyphen smash or something gay like that...

Anyway yeah, I use this with snake a decent amount since his usmash is very different from most. But with most characters I don't see it as a big deal, probably not the most useful of techniques...
watch magus's video http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Q2gfVEf0k
it's i think it's extremely useful.... i just havn't been able to do it without contact

waks

Smash Journeyman
Well, if you can grab out of it (standing grab maybe?), then its more useful than it seems. Like someone stated here, you can grab into it instead of up~smash, but how? =/

EDIT: And its, post #84.

Damax

Smash Lord
Well, if you can grab out of it (standing grab maybe?), then its more useful than it seems. Like someone stated here, you can grab into it instead of up~smash, but how? =/

EDIT: And its, post #84.
someone canceled R.O.B's up smash. if we combine this with the up smash slide..... I dunno. there might be some way to cancel and up smash while it is charging.

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
Can this be done with Marth? I haven't been able to do it for some reason, probably bad timing:(.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
It only shows a noticeable effect for certain characters. Marth is not one of them.

Rhambo

Smash Apprentice
Its called stutter stepping slam the direction your facing on the analog stick then up on the c-stick. look in the advanced teqs thread stickied on this page and look for stutter stepping.
that's what I was thinking

oh btw the video was removed by user

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
It seems to work very great for Wolf. If I can master this move, I'll be in very good shape for my tournament this Saturday. It's a great move to use right after you spam your blaster. Most opponents won't be expecting this...let's see how this move plays out as time goes on :D

sazabi

Smash Cadet
does anyone know how to do the technique without the tap jump on? i was watching the video and the guy noted that it can be done a different way without the tap jump on

KiteDXX

Smash Apprentice
Haha, awesome reupload.

I do it without tap jump another way, but it requires some weird control positions.

I use a GC controller:

~ Rest the side of your index finger on the A button, and your thumb on the C-stick.
~ Tap forward with the control stick and, almost simultaneously, press A and the C-stick upwards.

Depending on how close together the actions are, you can make it go just as far as seen in the video. It's like the different between the short and far wavedashes in Melee.

3GOD

Smash Ace
does anyone know how to do the technique without the tap jump on? i was watching the video and the guy noted that it can be done a different way without the tap jump on
With Tap Jump ON: Dash --> Dash Attack with C-Down --> Quickly hit Up+Z or Up+A to Usmash

With Tap Jump OFF Method 1: See "With Tap Jump ON"

With Tap Jump OFF Method 2: Dash --> Angle the control stick upward some but no so much that the run stops (45 degrees is enough I think) --> Dash Attack with C-Down --> Quickly hit Z or A

The "Method 2" actually may work even with Tap Jump ON, but it's easy to accidentally jump.

sazabi

Smash Cadet
well i tried testing out the difference with it on and off, cause i can do the dash cancel with it on but when its off all he does is grabs and theres no usmash animation. cause i want to do tilts easeir, i prefer to have tiltjump off. thats why i wanna find out how to do it with it the other way stated in the video with tjump off.

=Rook=

Smash Rookie
My turn to add my technique. I have Jump Tap off. I've gotten Snake's down fairly well (though, it seems his is easiest) and I've done it a few times with Link with Dashing then Down then Up on the C-Stick. I'm not sure about the timing yet, but it seems fast. I guess my main point is that it can be done with just the C-Stick.

Shadow5YA

Smash Cadet
Most likely it can be done with just the c-stick, or even without it. From what I understand, if part of it requires dash attacking and upsmashing, any buttton combination would work. Both the C-stick and the Z button are acting as standard attack buttons here, so I think it would definitely be faster (for me) to tap diagonally up on the control stick --> tap down on c-stick --> quickly tap up on c-stick, or tap diagonally up on the control stick --> press A --> press the grab button (which I set to Y since my Z button doesn't work). Both of these seem easier to me because of how close they are to one another.

What I'm wondering is if the dash attack still does damage before it gets cancelled and if anyone seems to have SAF(or invincibility?) frames while doing this like Snake does.

Coselm

Smash Ace
Ok I can not do this no matter how hard I try can someone please break it down for me. So far I have been trying dash then c-stick down then quickly c-stick up and z I have tried it without z and that didnt work either. Any help would be appreciated.

sazabi

Smash Cadet
SLAM CONTROL STICK (LEFT or RIGHT) to DASH then C STICK DOWN (to do a dash attack) then RIGHT AFTER PRESS CTRL STICK UP+ Z at same time. it takes some time getting used to.

Kinlap

Smash Apprentice
I tried this a few times both in training mode and against friends. It's not an amazing game-breaking technique, but it's not useless. Adding this to your arsenal would be nice to have, especially if your character dashes far with this or has a good u-smash to use it with. I am definitely going to add this to my Snake so he has more tools to use in matches.

shatoga

Smash Cadet
You can upsmash while running, but i can't figure out how they slide SO FAR.I've only tested upsmash with diddy, squirtle and charizard.All of those pretty much work.

Mka

Smash Rookie
Up smashing while running is not what we are trying to do. Canceling the dash attack with an Up smash is what we are trying.

On another note. With the Wii remote and Nunchuk style you can consistenly do this technique, provided you have Shake smash on. I was able to do this sliding technique using Link and I didn't have to use the A or Z button. I just shook down very slightly and then up right after. The timing is tough so if you don't get it at first try try again. I Just wanted to let everyone know that it must be possible to do this without involving the other stick or the A/Z button.

Also if you have the Tap jump off, just change your Z button to an attack in the control settings. It will function the way it would if you had tap jump on.(obviously) I have done this and it doesn't affect me because I use R and A for grabbing.

Top Bottom