• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new wavedash?

PR3Y11

Smash Journeyman
they just need to update that link on the first post..... and who ever it was... forgot.... i agree that the name should be changed... it's not really a new wavedash technique, however it does have similar effects.... on the other hand... keeping it as wdash might attract more attention =]
but please update the link in the first post so that new people reading wont get disappointed

Yatez

Smash Rookie
Wavesmash anybody? xp

Anyway, wonderful find. Took me a while to get it, but now I get what to do. Trying new controller configurations right now, I'll report back if I find anything particularly beneficial.

EDIT: Ok, I have a solution.

Set a shoulder button to attack (I prefer L). Instead of hitting Z with up, you should hit L. I find it easier myself, because you have to keep up with a lot on the right hand otherwise.

Also, you can leave tap jump off. It has no effect thankfully.
(Sorry if any of this has been covered, didn't read too much of the thread)

Haha, link does well with this, i cant get shieks down. I was getting on to throw the idea of it being called a "wavesmash" also, but i was beat to it......

User33

Smash Journeyman
I haven't been able to get this down yet. Does it work well for Metaknight and Diddy? I've been trying mainly with them

PR3Y11

Smash Journeyman
>magus.... i've been doing this with mu tap jump off by dash attack with A then upA... i can do it with snake and wario so far.... and falco but only on contact with him..... my guess is that my fingers just aren't inputing fast enough cause the other character's are tighter..... is this the case?
just wanted to clarify =]

Mka

Smash Rookie
welp it took hours and hours of practice but I can finally pull it off at least 3/5 of the time with Shiek. I have even gambled and used it in competitive play with my other smashers and managed to get KOs when otherwise I could not.(based on distance not skill) Plus its extremely satisfying pulling it off and if your opponent doesn't know about it, it's quite a surprise.

I don't use the A button for this tech anymore had to change my controls so that the Z button is now an attack. I use R and X for grabs now.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
woaa this is way ocol. thanks bro. i dont get it why i cnt do it with some others. i guessill have to get the time down. snake+wario were ez to do

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
Haha, link does well with this, i cant get shieks down. I was getting on to throw the idea of it being called a "wavesmash" also, but i was beat to it......
Sheik is the only one I can't do it with.

I've been using it since it was discovered with Snake, and Wario's is pretty easy to do, as is Link's.

But even in 1/4 speed, I can't seem to get Sheik's down :(

Damax

Smash Lord
ok so I've been messing around with the ''up smash sliding'' and found some nice use to it unfortunatly I can't upload any ****. I got replay if anyone's interested.

Sonic can do it too, its actually faster than run to up smash since sonic as to accelerate during is run before it can get the same distance of slide. it makes him slide half FD similar to sheik. I think BY FAR that sheik's the hardesst but I still have an application replay (with some nice combo)

Andromeda

Smash Lord
This may actually make Brawl a bit competetice, even if it never will reach the competitive standards for Melee. Too bad, some characters are very bad at doing it, like KD3 for example.

wtZzz

Smash Apprentice
hmm, I still can't get it with Sheik either, and ****, it would be such a good technique.

Also, by sliding so far, you will most likely reduce the risk of tripping

Meat Truck

Smash Cadet
This prolly won't help many people, but being a SF player by nature, it was tough for me to process all this smash terminology to get exactly how to do this, but the timing is basically the same as kara timings for third strike. That being said, some people, like shiek, require more precise timing like ken's kara srk, but snake for example, is more loose, like q's kara throw.

Again, prolly ********, but if some srk heads are trying to do this, that's what helped me.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
^^

All I have to say is wow what an amazing account name you have sir.

And yeah, I'm curious if this will make Brawl any deeper. It's not really a wavedash if you only do an upsmash. The beauty of a wavedash is that you can perform ANY move while moving.

zB.

Smash Cadet
I've been experimenting with this and can pull it off well enough in real matches. I mostly play Snake, by the way. With him, it's great for throwing someone off, but it doesn't serve a huge purpose outside of that, due to the nature of Snake's up-smash.

I've also used it a little bit as Wolf, and it has a little bit more potential for actually doing damage.

All in all, it doesn't seem like it will have that large of an impact due to the fact that it must be chained into an up-smash. If you could remove this limit to the point where you could follow it up with any attack or simply just have the sliding momentum though.... well.... then you'd have wavedashing back.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
Just for anyone wondering, to perform the tech is basically just(Also, for reference, I'll be talking about Snake since his is so easy to do)::

1.(First) Doing a Dash Attack. You don't need to tilt the C stick down or anything "specific" to do it, you can tilt it sideways, you can even use the A button while dashing instead of the C stick.

All you need to do is do a Dash Attack, just dash with Snake, then while Dashing press "A" or Tilt the C stick to make Snake do a roll(his Dash Attack).

Of course, it's much easier to perform the tech if you do a "Dash Attack" but tilting the C stick either down or sideways instead of using the A button.

2.(Second/Lastly) Then canceling the Dash Attack by performing an Up Smash(Any way you want) DURING the first half second of the Dash Attack(for Snake at least).

Of course, pressing the Shoulder button(Grab or Attack) + Up makes it MUCH easier to do because you can press the "shoulder" buttons more easily than pressing the "A" button.

So overall, the easiest way to do it is Dash by tapping Right or Left, then tilt the C-stick(anywhere but up) to do a Dash Attack, then press up and then grab at the same time to do an Up Smash.

welp it took hours and hours of practice but I can finally pull it off at least 3/5 of the time with Shiek. I have even gambled and used it in competitive play with my other smashers and managed to get KOs when otherwise I could not.(based on distance not skill) Plus its extremely satisfying pulling it off and if your opponent doesn't know about it, it's quite a surprise.

I don't use the A button for this tech anymore had to change my controls so that the Z button is now an attack. I use R and X for grabs now.
Can you upload a video of you doing with Sheik and do you have any "specific" tips to do it with Sheik.

Is it because the "timing" to do Sheik's thing so short(compared to Snake's) that you have to be very precise and quick?

Sheik is the only one I can't do it with.

I've been using it since it was discovered with Snake, and Wario's is pretty easy to do, as is Link's.

But even in 1/4 speed, I can't seem to get Sheik's down
Me too, I can't do it even at 1/4 speed.

Also, by sliding so far, you will most likely reduce the risk of tripping
Hmm, I am not sure. At least for me, I've managed to trip a lot while doing the tech.

You only have a chance to trip while you're attempting to Dash/Run for the first time(or when you're changing directions during the dash/run), not during the actual running just the beginning part.

Speaking of tripping, tripping sucks.

Too bad this tech can't be done with Zelda or Peach(my mains) . It'd be funny if Peach could do it, actually.

Magus420

Smash Master
Of course, pressing the Grab button + Up makes it MUCH easier to do because you can press the "shoulder" buttons more easily than pressing the "A" button.

So overall, the easiest way to do it is Dash by tapping Right or Left, then tilt the C-stick(anywhere but up) to do a Dash Attack, then press up and then grab at the same time to do an Up Smash.

Can you upload a video of you doing with Sheik and do you have any "specific" tips to do it with Sheik.

Is it because the "timing" to do Sheik's thing so short that you have to be very precise?

Me too, I can't do it even at 1/4 speed.
You can't do it with Sheik using Up+Grab. You must use Up+Attack to be able to cancel Sheik's properly. Either use the A button with your index finger and thumb on the C-stick or change either Z/L/R to Attack, but not Grab because it won't work.

I'm pretty sure you can't do it with Sheik using Up+Grab (Z by default). You need to use Up+Attack (A button or set another button to Attack) to do the u-smash. Up+Grab works for others however.

I don't believe the Grab button switches from Grab to Attack quickly enough which Sheik's cancel requires (the Grab button temporarily acts like Attack after the c-stick input which is why you can get an u-smash by pressing Up+Grab). My best guess would be that there's a frame or two delay between after pressing the c-stick and when your grab button works as an attack button, and you need to have already cancelled it by then for Sheik.

If you do the correct timing for Sheik's using Up+Grab you get a boost grab/dash attack cancelled grab because it's still working as a grab button and not as attack yet.

Either set Z/L/R to attack or have your finger ontop of the A button so you can hit it instantly after c-down with your thumb.

After trying for a while and not getting it ONCE by using Up+Grab (Z in my case) and getting boost grabs instead everytime, I tried with Up+A and immediately could get the full distance almost consistently. I would only really mess up by tapping up too soon and get a d-air because I have tap jump on. If it were off I would probably be able to do it pretty much everytime.

Basically: For Sheik you should use Up+Attack to do the u-smash not Up+Grab.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
Oh thanks. I'll try doing it with Sheik tomorrow. My thumb is going to get a blister if I keep trying today.

I'll edit my previous post to say "Shoulder button(grab or Attack) + Up" since that's what I meant.

Magus420

Smash Master
Well, I can assure you you'll be able to do it easily within the first couple tries once you try it using an attack button instead. It's really not hard with Sheik at all, but using grab makes it impossible which is why many people can't do it.

ellelaby's younger brother

Smash Apprentice
This thing doesn't work for me.

I dash, then dash attack and then I quickly press up and then z very quickly and it does nothing, I just stop and sheild/grab.

Top Bottom