• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! (Updated 2/11/10!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxy

Smash Master
holy shiiiiiz what happened to this thread

i love melee! i like being able to see that i've improved by a spot on power rankings, as i enjoy playing well rather than poorly... but it's not that serious.

if the discussion keeps going like this, i'm just going to feel guilty and won't even have fun anymore.

honestly, guys, it's just rankings.

josh, your spot is accurate in terms of theoretical placings; it is not accurate in terms of skill. i think i will place higher than you at HERB, but i don't think i'm better than you. you just suck in tournaments, **** happens to you (or so i've heard). i generally do well, i went 2-2 at my first melee tournament and have never had a losing record, in mm's i'm something like 5-0 overall. i seem to get lucky, maybe?

but honestly

what a load of boring, lets just play this awesome game and keep getting better and if we get ranked, we get ranked. it's nice, but it's not everything.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Honestly, it just means we're competitive, which is fine.

I don't mind working things out with people, despite how truly unlucky this system has played out in Josh's case.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
lol you know i'm messing anyways brobrah, you totally handled me all matches except that one. and nada against pembroke it was a joke. I went to uncw, prob. not too different from uncp.. except i'd much rather live in wilmington. oh and gano y gano owns.

Foxy

Smash Master
?

i have no hate for anything about these rankings!

and i'm sure you're not trying to defend the drama, lawl

i'm just saying that it would be nice to have more positive than negative words about this.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I like some drama lol, but I'm pretty sure we're defining drama differently here, so I won't bother with it.

I agree wholeheartedly with that last statement though.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
It's fine guys. I talked to Alex and Kevin in a chat and stuff is fine.

I deleted my later argumentative posts and I was never really mad, just annoyed.

It is probably true that Austin will place higher than me at HERB and other tournaments until I either get rid of my tournament jitters or I start playing Jigglypuff all the time like a ***. :p

Again to reiterate, I'm not mad at anyone and I was never mad in the first place. I think Austin is right about skill vs tourney in the PR but I made a pretty convincing case to the contrary to Alex/Kevin. I'm not worried about it; I'm going to keep playing a lot and I'm going to stop squandering at tourneys. I'm going to be top 5 with a whole lot of dedication.

Much love.

Shady Penguin

Smash Lord
I support NC Smash taking up Street Fighter 4. That game is great (can't say I'm very good at it though).

PP, I am prepared to prod you about SF as much as you prod me about Melee (or am I............?).

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
These heartfelt moments make me want to go out and play Smash with my fellow humans.

Sagat, Zangief, and Guile are mah bois, bros. SFIV is so good. PP, why not have TWO Xbox games in your possession?

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
hello
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i think me and dr pee pee should be switched around... other than that, i agree with the list completely...

Foxy

Smash Master
i've never felt too much resonance with SF games simply because they don't possess me the same way smash does.

when you play melee, you get into a complete flow, you can move fluidly and attacking makes sense as something about speed and execution rather than patience.

SF doesn't have enough movement to create the same kind of "flow"... it's a bit slower paced and more strategic (attack type vs. block type, some spacing and priority).

it's still great though, but smash has affected me too much for it to be my cup of tea.

lol i'm bored, just saying what i'm thinking

PacStrife

Smash Ace
Dr.PP - You should just play SF4 and then maybe you'll get good at it. You have a good community for the game near your area I believe. Just check out the forums at - forums.shoryuken.com and it should get you on your way.

ps. implying that you would drop a game because "no one would help you get good" seems kinda scruby to me. But I think you just meant that you wanted better players to play against so I guess that's cool.

Also, why am I an honorable mention now? lol

EDIT - Foxy if you played SF at a competitive level then you would find that there is a flow just like in melee. In fact playing other fighting games give you pretty good perspective into why smash is the way it is, in terms of speed, move selection, and flow of the match. However, those games have completly different mind sets and communities then smash. Much much different.

uber_n00b

Smash Journeyman
I just started playing sf4 half decently (or so james says), and it definitely has a flow once you get in to it and it's nuances

And melee definitely requires patience or atleast can, you'd have to be perfect or **** close to it to play a completely rushdown strategy in melee, or be playing some one worse then you or not as smart (or a garbage matchup)

I miss the old days of PR rankings drama, but they have always had that drama with them, and always will, you can't fight it, you just have to roll with it, or cry about it and make johns

I've been having nervous breakdowns, like "****, these *****s that much better than me?"

Foxy

Smash Master
EDIT - Foxy if you played SF at a competitive level then you would find that there is a flow just like in melee. In fact playing other fighting games give you pretty good perspective into why smash is the way it is, in terms of speed, move selection, and flow of the match. However, those games have completly different mind sets and communities then smash. Much much different.
Yeah, I assumed as much - obviously SF players who've never played competitive Melee would say about the same about Smash.

I would attempt to at least get into SF4, but the roadblock for me is the need to learn basically the movesets of the entire cast; for most competitive Melee players, we've put in hundreds of hours over the 7 years since the game's release playing casually-competitive, and we all easily memorized every character's moveset and its properties. Therefore, learning advanced play only consisted of the technical skill as we already had the knowledge.

Learning all that for another fighting game seems daunting to me. I have played some Third Strike and some Guilty Gear and been alright, but I consider it pretty inconsistent as I don't even know the movesets and all my skill comes from limited knowledge of the engines and experience from Smash. Making the leap from that beginning competitive phase to complete understanding of all the moves and aspects of the fighting engine for another game isn't something I feel I have the time to do.

lol /rant

typing is fun!

uber_n00b

Smash Journeyman
Therefore, learning advanced play only consisted of the technical skill as we already had the knowledge.
You've still got a bit to go then, it's deeper then that :p

But yea, that's the best part about picking up competitive games when they are young, you can develop with the other players much easier then trying to catch up to people who are already good, that is how I started smash, james and I were both garbage together and got better, and it's much easier and more fun that way (though socal has a leg up on the competition still)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Pac, I am playing some SF4 now, but I just don't have the mentality for it. That's why I need to play someone that knows what they're doing. I need to see what works and what doesn't.

Your ps would be correct, and I think it's along the same line of thought as my first point above.

My main concern right now with SF is that I feel like even if I read my opponent correctly then I can't get more than a few hits for it, rather than keep pressure on my opponent, which is annoying. That and I suck lol.

PacStrife

Smash Ace
Yeah once you get those few hits you really need to get a knockdown in most cases to keep up your advantage and the game has many more counters then melee does. Such as if you knock someone down in melee a grab beats every option if you time it right. Doing similar things to keep up offense in SF will get you DP'ed easily. But that's why I like street fighter, because it's not melee. I think melee turns into not thinking rush down offense a little bit too much. Especially with Falco players :)

But for realz just keep playing and you'll get the hang of it, but it will probably take a while as the games you play now are nothing like SF4. Therefore, just be patient with it dude.

uber_n00b

Smash Journeyman
Yea, as far as I can tell just playing for a while will teach you what works and what doesn't, especially online (if you can't play with an actual person), then after a while you will get the basic feel for the game and start to develop from there

And some characters can definitely keep the pressure on more then others if that's more what you're into (give viper or abel a try, probably some others, but I know those two can, though in different ways)

And sometimes, those few hits you get can be all you need in sf

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Listen to PAC, bros. I'm gonna try to get into SF4, too.

I'm even thinkin' of makin' my own arcade stick. Some of those custom ones look pretty **** hot. :3

xZapdosx

Smash Apprentice
pacstrife

by the way I Just wanted to let you know I haven't given up guilty gear my ps2 just kinda stopped working so it's been hard to practice / keep up enthusiasm. Anytime you're near Greensboro you gotta give me a call bro! I Know you still have my number.

ALSO
I kind of want to start playing SFIV. I've taken to 2d fighters a lot. Does anyone else in Greensboro (behr/vilt/rawfuls/etc.) that has the game want to come over and let me learn with you?

ALSO
el fuerte

RUN STOP FIERCE

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
I don't like Street Fighter; I think the games are fairly boring to watch and not very interesting to play. I played 2 turbo back in the day and a 3rd strike, but nothing struck me as interesting about SF4 when I watched it. I talked to James so I understand the speed and mindset are very different and I don't like it. I guess I can't understand why so many Melee players enjoy the severe change of pace; it makes the game wholly uninteresting to me.

Just my two cents since we're talking about it. I'm not hating on people playing or SF4, it's just not my cup of butter at all.

I should probably be listed as a Falcon/Fox main at this point. I end up picking Fox in most dumb match ups now in tourneys and Falcon has practically nothing but dumb match ups for top tiers. Falcon/Buttery Fox.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I mean, I'm really not diggin the pace at all either, but I suppose I'll give it a shot. I honestly think I'll be done playing video games before the smash scene dies, if it dies, so this whole idea isn't particularly appealing.

Expanding my horizons is always welcome though, I suppose. I might even learn a new mindset for smash through it too. =p

Alright man, I'll change your info.

Foxy

Smash Master
I completely share Josh's perspective about SF.

I wholeheartedly believe that were I experienced with it, I would have a better opinion, but as it stands now the best I can conjure is some interest and appreciation. From my naive perspective, it looks boring, too tactical, too much technical skill just involving move execution, and not enough player-formed metagame (as it was intended to be competitive, unlike Sakuraiiiiiiii).

but yer i'm still gonna pick SF4 up when i have the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom