• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! (Updated 2/11/10!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrostormer

Smash Lord
I want to try SF4 so bad right now. I'm stuck playing SFII Turbo on my Hombrew Channel lol. But I love how different the game is compared to smash. Its not all balls to the wall offense all the time.

Foxy

Smash Master
i like playing fullscreen oldschool pokemon fullscreen with a ps3 controller

toooooooooooooooo fun

fullscreen fullscreen fullscreen it's soooooooooo huge

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You know what else is adorable?

You.

On topic: I don't think this should be updated after HERB unless there's a tourney at Ace's or something beforehand.

uber_n00b

Smash Journeyman
Heh, I've thought about it adam, but man, I don't know if I have the time or attention span for building my own stick :p

Why don't you think fighters have player formed metagame though foxy?

Who needs 2d shooters when you have FPSes

Haha, good **** nunzio

Hey Ace, did you ever get into q3a much? that was a pretty fun and still competitive game, though not as much

Oh, and on a related note, I walk through the raindrops.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
The difference between a a Street Fighter tourney and a SSB tourney is this.

Crazy, huh?
Wow.

I wish you would just not post here since all you ever seem to do is hate on Melee and chirp behind whatever Adam says.

3rd Strike plays nothing like SF4 from what I've seen. To be fair, SF4 is brand new.

But Melee tournaments are more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD_imYhNoQ4

Also: Tonight at work. I completely cut my left index finger open with a large serrated knife while attempting to cut a really hard piece of bread while during a rush. I had to go to urgent care and I had to get 5 stitches. I won't be playing Melee for at least a few days because I currently cannot move it enough to L cancel. So lame. Still going to Atlanta this weekend.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I, uh, hate on brawl, bro. You'd know that if you looked around. And I'll post here as I please.

:V

Lighten up, it was a joke.

Foxy

Smash Master
Why don't you think fighters have player formed metagame though foxy?
I don't think that they have no player-realized metagame - however, they certainly have less than Smash. Even in my ignorance I can say that much. Why? Simply because Smash Brothers was NEVER intended to be a tournament fighting game, which is clearly evident in the vision which developed Brawl.

Melee had a wide open engine, and new things are STILL being discovered or being finally utilized to a fuller potential. In a normal fighter, something like SF, the developers clearly intend competition, the absolute opposite end of the spectrum of Sakurai's team. SF4 even has "Tournament Edition" arcade pads. I get the feeling that while players usually discover and implement strategies and traps that become the decisive and important facets of competitive play, much of everything else is in the cognition of the creators and may even be included in 1-player training sessions.

I have always been an incredible fan of amazing player-work on video games, discovering impressive and useful techniques from a great engine that were clearly never intended (even if they may not be glitches). That's why I've always been a large part of the speed-running community, which spends hundreds and hundreds of hours researching, discovering, testing, and planning to play far beyond the intents of the developers and make something truly amazing. If you've ever watched what has been done with Ocarina of Time, or to a lesser (but still mind-blowing) extent, other Mario and Zelda games, because Miyamoto simply makes the best game engines in the world, period.

P.S. The Shadow of the Colossus speedrun will blow your mind if you've played the game. Just thought I'd mention it.

tl;dr i talk about stuff

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
I, uh, hate on brawl, bro. You'd know that if you looked around. And I'll post here as I please.

:V

Lighten up, it was a joke.
So you don't play either game and you post on here anyway....ummm....

And I merely pointed out that you rarely contribute anything at all to any conversation.

And whether it was a joke or not, it was a pretty annoying one given your disposition about the games.

Also, I can't stand the bro trend. It's a bad sign of how unnatural and silly it is when Nunzio starts saying it.

Hyper Tails1

Smash Apprentice
So you don't play either game and you post on here anyway....ummm....

And I merely pointed out that you rarely contribute anything at all to any conversation.

And whether it was a joke or not, it was a pretty annoying one given your disposition about the games.

*comes flyin in on a spider web*

I feel insulted .Schuck balls I do the exact same thing!

I know you just cut your finger off but dont go gettin pissy at everyone else.

If Nunzi wants to troll(I guess that's what it is according to our mod Fergalicious) then let em. No one's took the time to write out a post just to be an ***, but you. If it's annoying then just nevermind that S. Sometimes I think you do that **** because you think he's weak minded or whatever-I do it too...But I can do that cause I'm his FRIEND. If you really find him that annoying then just ignore him. Just like I have to ignore some of the annoying **** you do, like bein an *** sometimes.

...I dunno maybe I'm flying off wit this but seeing that ish kinda ticked me off. Random insult. For what?

Everybody gets one
*swings away*

*on topic*

Where dat MCPCO ****a? He should be atleast 3rd.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
I'm not being pissy.

I have plenty of good reasons to feel like I do and even more strong opinions about Nunzio.

They are not for this thread. I sent Mike a response.

I'm not passive aggressive and I don't mind being an ***; I don't fake feelings and mock friends behind their backs.

That is all.

On topic: L cancelling hurts a lot. I really hope this cut heals fast. Stitches suck a lot. Butter fox is not shining every 3 seconds. :[

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
I cooked 5 days a week 11 hours a day all fall and winter and i would cut myself daily.. **** sucks darksyde! A friend was just over last night from raleigh that could barely walk from being pushed through a glass door... 27 stitches upper leg.

I've played a **** load, and have competed in both q2 and q3a. Have you messed with quake live at all, uber_n00b? It's q3a except right in your browser, and they recently just added ACTUAL DUEL MAPS for q3 to it... which is very cool (id seemed to not get proper item placement according to the game's physics right until q4.... which has the 2nd sickest engine next to q2 of the series ;) )

Anyway, my name was chosen in august for beta testing quake live and i have a few extra accounts or i should somewhere if anyone wants to check it out. I can't ****in wait until quake zero gets to testing!!

edit: and i can't wait to try SF4.. I play SF2 on a near nightly basis hahaha.. wish I still had it for genesis. Great ****in game! I remember that someone who was with jim/stingers at billfest had a hacked v. of sf2 for gamecube.. that was pretty cool.

@foxy: shadow of colossus lol... climbing up a giant's furry *** to stab him. I just played that game for the first time in forever a few weeks ago. q2's engine is known as the fastest and most complex of any fps... you seem into that stuff so check it out sometime.

uber_n00b

Smash Journeyman
Oh I know they aren't similar at all plur, I just prefer my HL mods and was trying to make a joke

Wow that sucks josh

And ah, I get where you are coming from foxy and it makes sense, though I can't remember that far back, I'm pretty sure melee was made to be competitive :p (though brawl not so)

But yea, while there is definitely player formed meta game in 2d fighters, there was also a lot of forethought in relation to competition by the developers

And yea, I agree whole heartedly with your last paragraph, I love the speed running community, and love trying my hand at techniques and ideas I never thought possible, and yea, i've watched a ton of speed runs for a ton of games, but I'm d/ling the Shadow one now, I've only seen james play it for a little and it seemed interesting, this video should be a good watch

I actually haven't, and I hadn't really played much earlier quake either to be honest, though I competed in q3a. I'll have to take a look at it, it seems interesting, though idk how well it would run being out of a browser...

Oh man, that quake live beta sounds pretty awesome, especially after my new upgrades, if you have a few lying around I'd definitely love to try it

Thunda/Nunzio etc., You guys all should come back up to Raleigh again eventually, though maybe not bali this time, or we just need to convince nunzio to eat it :p

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm trying to get into SF4, syde. I post cause I like the community save one face. But whatever, bro.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I have no desire to try any new video games now that I found Melee.
I <3 you.

Also: Tonight at work. I completely cut my left index finger open with a large serrated knife while attempting to cut a really hard piece of bread while during a rush. I had to go to urgent care and I had to get 5 stitches. I won't be playing Melee for at least a few days because I currently cannot move it enough to L cancel. So lame. Still going to Atlanta this weekend.
Sucks, bro. Hope your finger heals fast.

it's a fountain of dreams
MUTHA FUKKAS!!!!!!!!!!!

*comes flyin in on a spider web*
:laugh:

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
So... I'm not going to be able to make it to any tournies until the summer (maybe a smashfest...), and I'll have very little time to get on the boards as a whole.

Like, my dad blocked Smashboards and stuff. lame. So yea, I'll post and try to say "active" as much as I can, but I'll see you all in the summer sometime.

BEHR

Smash Hero
IMO Darksyde and Jim should be higher.

Mike should be like 6 or 7.

Foxy

Smash Master
@foxy: shadow of colossus lol... climbing up a giant's furry *** to stab him. I just played that game for the first time in forever a few weeks ago. q2's engine is known as the fastest and most complex of any fps... you seem into that stuff so check it out sometime.
SoC is incredible, probably the best game of last-gen... especially the cinematics/graphics with the little they had to work with on the PS2. The speedrun is just really amazing because it contains strategies you wouldn't even conceive playing through the first time.

Yeah, I definitely know about Quake runs... unfortunately I never played much of the game myself (wasn't big when I was younger) but I definitely appreciate the runs and obviously the whole speed running community was built from it.

And ah, I get where you are coming from foxy and it makes sense, though I can't remember that far back, I'm pretty sure melee was made to be competitive :p (though brawl not so)

But yea, while there is definitely player formed meta game in 2d fighters, there was also a lot of forethought in relation to competition by the developers

And yea, I agree whole heartedly with your last paragraph, I love the speed running community, and love trying my hand at techniques and ideas I never thought possible, and yea, i've watched a ton of speed runs for a ton of games, but I'm d/ling the Shadow one now, I've only seen james play it for a little and it seemed interesting, this video should be a good watch
Melee was actually not created with a competitive mindset. Take a look at a few things they did - crazy items (on by default), tons of ridiculous stages, most of the content being for amusement... not to mention that since 64 and until Brawl (no reason to change just for Melee) Smash has been intended to be a party game as the core genre, not really a 2d-fighter (although obviously that's what the engine is). Melee was only so good from competition by accident, as I'm sure everyone has heard countless times; a brilliant accident.

<3 Speed running <3

SoC is just incredible and is actually a very difficult game, the run is just pure epic, makes everything look like a piece of cake but is really impressive and entertaining at the same time, with some crazy luck-involving strats to get launched up on Colossi, etc... it's too good.

KillerSOS

Smash Champion
So... I'm not going to be able to make it to any tournies until the summer (maybe a smashfest...), and I'll have very little time to get on the boards as a whole.

Like, my dad blocked Smashboards and stuff. lame. So yea, I'll post and try to say "active" as much as I can, but I'll see you all in the summer sometime.
Ouch man that sucks :(

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198

genesis?
SEEEGAAAAAA

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
SoC is incredible, probably the best game of last-gen... especially the cinematics/graphics with the little they had to work with on the PS2. The speedrun is just really amazing because it contains strategies you wouldn't even conceive playing through the first time.
Let's not get into SotC's graphics because technically, the game wasn't pushing much, I don't think. On top of that, I believe it was running at like 20-something fps. The art-style and color-scheme made it effing gorgeous though.

Still, fun as hell to play. Can't wait for Trico.

Foxy

Smash Master
Let's not get into SotC's graphics because technically, the game wasn't pushing much, I don't think. On top of that, I believe it was running at like 20-something fps. The art-style and color-scheme made it effing gorgeous though.

Still, fun as hell to play. Can't wait for Trico.
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. Because of the style and cinematic effects (like the motion blurs with the camera pans, everything), it did have really low framerate, but that was a worthy sacrifice... still looks like a movie, and on the PS2? So good.

I love just looking at SoC.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
foxy why the hell did you quote yourself in your sig?

Thats gay as hell

p.s. my spacies are getting better and better, fellas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom