• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! (Updated 2/11/10!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

null55

Smash Master
well, basically:

shit talk ~ hype ~ trolling

lol i sound like i'm selling an SWF fragrance or something.

and DJ's right.

and stop grouping me PP. i'm not a troll. i just don't like peace. or halmark cards. there's a difference.

null55

Smash Master
that sounds beautiful.

too bad georgia is georgia.

lol @ gc. let's play f-zero yo.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
back on topic or this thread will receive a Zangief bear suplex.

Didn't I let you have your locator thread back? :mad:

DJRome

Smash Hero
hey, what do you people think about playing out spots? like for 5th playing 5th for 5th and 6th? i may institute this to get more match data in

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Prof. Pants said:
The rankings are decided by using set counts for each potential candidate between themselves(and OOS as needed) using the previous rankings as a standard of comparison. (If this needs clarifying I guess ZIO/someone can ask about it....)
What are the set counts? How do things work? Such as, what do you do when there are a number of tourneys where not all can attend, and give out different results? How are they weighed? I'll just ask that.

DJRome

Smash Hero
in my opinion, attendance is weighted very unfavorably in the current prs. those who rarely attend but do well at one may not fair as well at others. but attending gives more data and yet more risk. case: foxy attends one tourney this period. he beats me and karn. he is higher than both. i beat karn at one, but i go to others and that puts more data in my corner. there is not reason to assume that foxy would not lose in other tourneys but he doesn't go so that doesn't count against them.

im not really sure what the prs are supposed to mean so i can't say, but it seems that there is a flaw in the system.

and the oos stuff is just plain incalculable but whatever. despite fairness i say that it's most fair to implement some sort of attendance system but hey, what do i know. . .

in all fairness, the current prs work pretty well and i can't see anyway to tweak the cons so it's fine, but if a new system that works well comes along, it should be considered i think.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
What are the set counts? How do things work? Such as, what do you do when there are a number of tourneys where not all can attend, and give out different results? How are they weighed? I'll just ask that.
Set counts are the records players have vs one another(for example, if someone loses 0-2 vs everyone they play, then their set counts vs those people is 0-2).

We don't penalize for attendance as long as someone makes it to one tournament in a ranking period since we update so often.

Set counts are weighted by the position each person is given in the current PR panel(which is partially derived from the last PR set but not really....it's hard to explain).

I'm really not sure what purpose this serves.....not frustrated, just confused....

Edit: DJ, that's not true about attendance. who's to say foxy wouldn't beat you guys and those other people anyway? you just assume that showing up to the one tourney you lost to foxy at that you would do better than you did showing up to more?

it's not about math, so it must be wrong.

I wonder sometimes.

I plan on using that model Daft comes up with as a tool to help us fix any possible great discontinuities between the two lists that are produced(by panel and model).

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
To be honest, I think a well thought out description of the process made to rank players into the PR list is something that should be implemented into the OP.

That's just a personal thought.

I also like the idea of putting a point system only so I can see something like

1 - Dr.PP (plays with) 102 points
2 - Lozr (plays with) 89 points
7 - Polywondol (plays with) 32 points

etc.

Personal note, again.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I don't. The reason there is a panel is because we don't need the state participating/criticizing in the process. The panel is chosen because of their ability to follow the process and provide useful insight on any irregularity/unforseen circumstance that might arise.

Throwing a description up there allows the state to criticize the panel(more than they already do) and makes the panel's job harder than it needs to be.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You see ZIO, if everyone thought the process should be criticized, then it would be a bunch of fighting.

Remember back in MLG days before Brawl came out? There was plenty of criticism then.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
No one is willing to make the effort. I am, though. I still don't think there's a clear way in seeing just how different Player 8 is from Player 7, and how far away they are from Player 3 by looking at the list. We just assume that they must be good because they're on this list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom