• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! Updated 8/14/14!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
to be fair, a lot of us started playing less than 3 years ago... pretty sure if i didn't start competitive melee over a year after brawl's release i would **** everyone in socal, just sayin.

anyway, we're working on it. we have a ****load of potential in my honest opinion. someday NC will crew battle SoCal, and we'll win.
Imo it's required to travel at some point if you want to refresh your style a little more... Is it even possible to acquire a skill level sufficient to go against the top 20 in the world while you are strictly playing in your own state? Idk about that, it feels like someone's skill level will stagnate at some point.

yeah, they've got more players who've been playing for a lot longer.

but we are getting there. we've made a lot of collective progress in the last year.

but really kage, how many of us have you met/played?
Umm quite a bit, but that was quite a long time ago. I played Dop before, PP, Yay..umm.. Fullmetal, Xif.. etc.

I can't wait to play the warrior one day.

I just read slasher's post (skipped right by it initially for obvious reasons). Sorry to hear about your mother and the hard times you've dealt with; you need to rise above it alland it seems like you're at least on a decent path toward doing so... that is, if one could ignore the more pathetic parts of that post.
Hehe, it should be fun when we do play. =) But ya, I feel that too many people focus on the negative side of things and I suspect that the internet definitely influenced the way people think right now.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
well yeah, it's not that we don't try to go oos. but georgia hasn't really hosted something with the intent of having us since TO6, and going to VA seems pointless when we have our own tourneys usually on the same dates.

as far as creating brackets, we've started to use pools for that. but i think it's odd that you have an opinion on our bracket structure seeing as your basing our skills, and even our mindsets, on somewhat outdated information.

as far as our state as skill, i think a lot of us are on a rather similar skill level, which makes things hard. the fact that john can get last place while i can get 5th at tournaments, while we go pretty much even in all our matches kind of shows that, to me. that was a grand example, but NC is moving forward together and a fairly decent pace, i guess.

i wanna go oos...i wonder what people will think about my ganon...it's changed a lot recently...

Divinokage

Smash Legend
well yeah, it's not that we don't try to go oos. but georgia hasn't really hosted something with the intent of having us since TO6, and going to VA seems pointless when we have our own tourneys usually on the same dates.

as far as creating brackets, we've started to use pools for that. but i think it's odd that you have an opinion on our bracket structure seeing as your basing our skills, and even our mindsets, on somewhat outdated information.

as far as our state as skill, i think a lot of us are on a rather similar skill level, which makes things hard. the fact that john can get last place while i can get 5th at tournaments, while we go pretty much even in all our matches kind of shows that, to me. that was a grand example, but NC is moving forward together and a fairly decent pace, i guess.

i wanna go oos...i wonder what people will think about my ganon...it's changed a lot recently...
Well only one way to find out how your Ganon is. =P But I normally love to see other Ganons play, it's always super funny to me and I don't know why. lol.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
I didn't say creating brackets... by assessing I meant, someone from OOS, in general, would be more prone to looking at what happened more as it happened. The results. and I bet NC is the same in regard to oos, but NC, in particular, has always catered to johners.....it's the over-all atmosphere. the negative side is the johning, the positive side is caring that much about the game, which means activity(look at all the tournaments there are in NC).

you can either tolerate them for the occasions that they are cool or tell them to stfu... sometimes you'll get caught off guard and do the nice thing when thinking back you'll have wanted to do the right thing. So in a way, NC may have a problem with doing the nice thing, because that's why it's "accepted" as I put it.

$mike

Smash Ace
measuring skill between two players through a 1v1 is less significant, imo, than seeing how the two players do vs OTHER players (i.e. in a tournament). if player X can go even with player Y, but player X gets last and player Y gets top 5, player Y is obviously much more well rounded and better overall.

in that regard, i disagree that "a lot of us are on a rather similar skill level," but i think there are several "up and coming" players here, who all have potential to be great.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I want to see for myself these up and coming players, I <3 seeing potential usually. There's a few coming along well these days. I have to pass the torch.. =P

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Omg kage get your fuming bull**** talking Arnold schwarzenegger voice have'n healthy lifestyle promoting French baguette eating self out of our internal affairs, by decree of the council you have received a strike of warning.

Also I wanna say that sometimes calling someone out for johning is like telling someone they have a drinking problem. They try to explain something then "oop, denial" and it's like ugh losing battle

That being said NC has never really been so much a johning state so much as it's been a less competitive and/or less caring, with a sometimes bluntly honest rederic to go with it.

we def need to get better though. the term 'john', while something we still need to work on is not something we inherently have a problem with. Pointing out johns are one thing, but finding a solution is a main part of what can, should, and possibly will do to help us grow competitively, first we need to work more on getting better recognized within our region (atl so), which we're already doing imo, before we go for SoCal

Imo

:phone:

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
I agree Luke.. a lot of nc's mentality is like that, i'm like that most of the time. Which makes johning even worse in a way, because when you hear it you may say something like 'dude i'm buzzed and not even trying.. this match isn't a big deal anyway' before even realizing that you're johning yourself. Even if it's true, that's how it will be perceived.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
I hate how the term "john" has become such a get out of argument free card

Man I just dont see how people can say fox doesnt have an amazing recovering have you seen his up b? IT COMBOS INTO UPAIR

"No johns dude"

ive just lost any debate because someone went to the bag of words and pulled out three that are so broken they counter any argument i have

"Sounds like JOHNS man"

All in favor of banning the word johns?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
johns is kind of an extremely important word and deeply embedded into our community's history. rather than erasing the term from our vocabulary, I think we either need to learn how to use it more appropriately(when someone is upset about something smash-related) or we just need to quit giving people reasons to use the word "john" by shrugging off difficult things in this game and instead focusing that energy toward defeating the issue or problem situation.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
if johns are blatant, unnecessary, and excessive excuses for not doing well like i think they are, i don't really think anyone exactly does that anymore.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Johns, as a phrase, was used to keep people from complaining about smash at all and instead focusing on improvement. It got extended to other social contexts for various reasons, but that was the initial use.

To say that people don't get frustrated with the game and let it detract from their improvement at times is silly. It definitely still happens, and therefore the phrase "no johns" is still necessary.

SK919

Deal with it
johns are for f*****s —> bottom line.

and slasher, if you want to "better" yourself, try working on a level of self-security where mere words from a "pathetic hater" don't cause you to publicly defame him like a pathetic hater. :(

this doesn't mean moo can't be a big whiney, character-changing, f*****-johnner (in the SSBM handbook, a f*****-johnner is someone who johns in really disgusting and/or passive-aggressive ways, like sandbagging, repeating "I suck" through multiple mediums, and doing incredibly bonkers **** like deliberately scratching your face during a friendly and then yelling at the guy for hitting you because he should've noticed that you were scratching your face... seriously Viverette that was some of the biggest f*****-**** i've ever seen. shoutouts to Dop on finishing the combo) but there's really just no reason to explain why your life has more meaning than his just because of his little Moo-quips or his f*****-johnnery. now THAT'S what i call pathetic. only douchebags like yourself are gonna get off on that kinda ****. shoutouts to kage.

i do want a sip of that coffee, though.

EDIT:

also, can we PUH-LEEEAASE drop this "God" ****? Ladies and Gentlemen, i have a very important, inconsequential announcement to make: God isn't real. oh my ****ing god God isn't real. and if she is, she definitely isn't sitting by a lightswitch labeled "Slasher's Mom" waiting for the right time to put her on OFF. if anyone is God, it's YOUR MOM, who as you claim, is defying death for love. F*** "God", that's WAYY cooler.
I agree with some of this.. disagree with some.. I have no regrets though. I'll take what you said and use it to improve myself.

Moophobia

Smash Champion
So my dad is out of town and I've got nothing to do until Tuesday so if people want to come over and smash or me go to them if it's not too far. Definitely hit me up about it.

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
moo, if i could get a ride to you i would totally take you up on that offer and smoke a blunt in your dad's bathtub

but either way, let's train in 3S today

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
theres a diffrence between playing serious and taking smash way too seriously

Or judging others for the way they play smash. Its never okay to insult someone blatantly.

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
Playing serious is what got Chris better so much faster imo. I feel like playing in a serious environment more times than not will prepare you and teach you what to expect out of a tournament set. That way there would be no effort put into having a tournament ready mindset. Even though playing around and sandbagging at times in friendlies is fun it still can create bad habits.

Top Bottom