• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! Updated 8/14/14!

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I bet your Zelda could beat my Sheik.

If you agree, then you're proving that it is possible for a Zelda to beat a Sheik, even though you just said it isn't.

Rawfuls

Smash Journeyman
Sheik can get combo'd

But all she needs is one hit and your dead, same vs fox

That's why I'd laugh

Since its really not possible

:phone:
I'm pretty sure your Zelda would beat my Sheik and Fox. Although I'm fairly confident it would just make me laugh too, while i talk about how broken and dumb Zelda is.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Good point, my Sheik is more like a Jigglypuff's shield breaking than it is like a Sheik.

My Kirby's going to take down your Zelda, though. You may have been able to 3 stock me last time, but I can short hop now.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i'm pretty sure my sheik may be better than my ganon already. i'm very close to dropping that character now. he felt horrible today. maybe it's because i played 80% sheik today, but good GOD that character is just...good.

i'd love to prove it to you, lucas.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Chris, don't drop Ganon. All of us Ganon mains want you to keep being a Ganon main. Unless you really really want to drop Ganon, in which case you'll have to beat mine first.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
it's not exactly about being easy with sheik. it's not exactly as cut and dry as i thought. but it's actually a lot more fun than i thought it would be.

it's an adventure. and i'm willing to stick this one out a little bit better than i did with fox lol.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Having fun is a good reason to use a character. Using Ganon over and over again can get boring, so variation is nice. That's why I use Kirby sometimes. Kirby's fun, and it means I'm not playing Ganon all the time, but he's a bad enough character that I won't be tempted to switch mains.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Adventure? Sounds like you just need a new direction, something that comes with hitting a plateau in some form for your main. Recognizing this for what it is can allow you to get back on track with a new vision for your main later on if you choose to do so, allowing you to build upon all of the experience with one character you already play and combining all of this new thought line and drive with it.

Maybe Sheik will be a good thing though.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
You know, Sheik's a worse matchup for Kirby than Ganon. Maybe you'll be able to beat PP now.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
it's partly plateau-ing. i still maintain that my ganon hasn't really done anything different in the last year. maybe some of the pivot things, but really, it's just gone through phases of focusing on different things, and never doing anything better.

it's partly that i recognize that if taheem can almost beat me (and a few other people) with such a boring *** sheik, then maybe if i play a sheik that actually does things, i can advance myself. of course, i recognize that his style is something of a hard counter to my impatient dumb ***, but overall, i feel that a somewhat aggressive sheik that has awkwardly similar tools to what ganon has would be both fun to play and good to win with.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
taheem can eat a ****, my sheik is probably already better than his. day after tomorrow i'll show him too.

it's weird having a jab that doesn't kill, but it's nice having a jab that combos into dsmash/grab/ftilt for kills. once i get used to her weak hitboxes, my combo game is gonna be ridiculous. weak nair -> platform -> fair is already too fun. looking forward to doing more things with weak/reverse bairs. especially to cover spacie side B's.

mmmmmmmmm grahhhh school why you make me do work i wanna play this gameeeee

edit: i think the only thing i miss is having an omnidirectional up b. once i get better at faster needle turn cancels, that shouldn't be as much of a problem as it is now though. i want the runoff reverse needle cancel so bad, but that **** is QUICK. oooooh sheik makes me happy...

i never thought it'd get this far.

lord karn

Smash Master
Chris, did you know you can short hop, uair, and jump again before you land? This also causes you to not land on the platforms on yoshi's. . .

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
On the real though, Chris

I was just watching some videos and thinking that Ganon and Sheik actually are pretty similar in that they both are pretty nerfed in PAL

I think u should watch some PAL ganons to get a feel of their style. i played a really solid one in the UK. there are other good ones across europe. There is something...special about how people play the nerfed versions of characters. Its hard to describe the difference in mindset between players here and there.
Hmm, idk how to say it; i think i can just say that i learned a ton about sheik by playing european players.

w/e give it a shot. and if ur actually going to pick up sheik i recommend ONLY studying PAL sheiks for a while (dont even watch m2k). study them and i think u will learn a lot.

edit: agh double post my bad

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
Ok Theo, ill be sure to check out sheiks across the pond. Are there any you'd recommend not named amsah/over?

Also, you guys generic sheik tips made me lol.

I forgot about the turn tilt one. I saw the vid and what not, but forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder.

Rawfuls

Smash Journeyman
Adventure? Sounds like you just need a new direction, something that comes with hitting a plateau in some form for your main. Recognizing this for what it is can allow you to get back on track with a new vision for your main later on if you choose to do so, allowing you to build upon all of the experience with one character you already play and combining all of this new thought line and drive with it.

Maybe Sheik will be a good thing though.
I wish I had thought of this when I was trying to play every character that wasn't Marth. Although, at this point, I feel I probably had lost interest in getting better in general, not just with my main, and it was an attempt to keep the competative side of the game interesting.

Which is clearly not the case with Chris, since he is actually trying to learn Shiek where as I simply tried to play every character and pretend I was learning.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
how is sheik nerfed in PAL? weaker move set?..that could be easier grabs in some cases though, so I'm assuming that there's a lot more than that.. someone explain it to me please, mention jab reset percentages and most importantly what it does to her grab game. what's the dair like?

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
mostly just that her dthrow doesn't lead to anything in pal. no more chaingrabs. you have to follow up with something...different.

like idk if she can even ftilt lol.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
so nothing guaranteed from it. I wonder if you can tech chase off reading where they tech after a dthrow...

it would be cooler to me if dthrow wasn't nerfed, and instead the most generic ways to get a grab -> dthrow were instead.

ok i got packing to do.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I once heard a peculiar argument that Sheik would be easier to tech chase with in PAL. Something about having to move to the spot people tech at making it easier to react to tech in place and since you're already moving allows you to move on the dime into wherever the opponent tech rolls if they do so.

I'd really like to get PAL Melee and see for myself.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Ganon is so much better than Sheik, you're completely wrong. For starters, there's no purple sheik. There is a black one, though, so Chris should be happy.

PP, I'm planning to bring my PAL cube on Saturday. You can wait till then, right?

Top Bottom