• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nu Smashboards Arena: Revival of Online - Check 1st Post!

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Hey "GG" but you're way too far outta my league as I barely started playing the game. You're elite though
lolthx. but if you want to get better you have to play people like me. Luckily for you a lot of people here are better than me so go ahead and have fun.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
... *facepalm*
I thought the wi-fi safe version just meant you get like, the textures of P:M but still keep the brawl physics.
Faaaaaak. xD
Lol no there's a separate codeset for the wifi version, but if you download it you only have to interchange the files in the folder labeled codes.

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
Lol no there's a separate codeset for the wifi version, but if you download it you only have to interchange the files in the folder labeled codes.
Gotcha. Thanks, and sorry for the delay. And here I was at first starting to feel kinda good in that first match when someone other than me airdodged offstage, lol.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
As was expected, you are far above my level.
GGs man. Hope I was able to at least make it fun. c:
I think your Ike could be pretty good, you just gotta break yourself of some of the Brawl tactics like retreating fairs and aerial QDs. Also you can JC grab out of QD it's really useful especially against Bowser.

Edit: Also, don't crouch cancel against Peach.

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
I think your Ike could be pretty good, you just gotta break yourself of some of the Brawl tactics like retreating fairs and aerial QDs. Also you can JC grab out of QD it's really useful especially against Bowser.
Yeah, I'm very new to Melee mechanics, so it's hard to break out of those Brawl habits.
Heh, the funny thing is I tried really hard to JC grab on several occasions and all of them failed, lol. Thanks for playing with me at least. Just gotta get some experience with all this weird stuff.

Edit: And you were very impressive, btw. Nice technical skill and reading. It was fun

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Yeah, I'm very new to Melee mechanics, so it's hard to break out of those Brawl habits.
Heh, the funny thing is I tried really hard to JC grab on several occasions and all of them failed, lol. Thanks for playing with me at least. Just gotta get some experience with all this weird stuff.

Edit: And you were very impressive, btw. Nice technical skill and reading. It was fun
Yeah the JC grabs are pretty tough on wifi that's why I don't use Ike much online even though he's my secondary. I was having an unusually high success rate with them with Wario though, you pretty much have to JC his grabs because he has like the slowest dash grab in the game.

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the JC grabs are pretty tough on wifi that's why I don't use Ike much online even though he's my secondary. I was having an unusually high success rate with them with Wario though, you pretty much have to JC his grabs because he has like the slowest dash grab in the game.
Duly noted. I'll have to play around with the timing then. I had already decided I'd main Ike, and I'm debating between different secondaries. Also, I wasn't consciously crouch cancelling. xD I kinda forgot that was even a thing until I saw you do it a lot with Doctor Mario. I have a bad habit of mashing directions in hitstun. I was wondering why I was eating like 40% from that dsmash, lol.

I can already tell there's a long road ahead. Right now this is me trying to do stuff in Project M. (hint: I'm the bird) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hspNaoxzNbs

someonerandom

Smash Journeyman
Duly noted. I'll have to play around with the timing then. I had already decided I'd main Ike, and I'm debating between different secondaries. Also, I wasn't consciously crouch cancelling. xD I kinda forgot that was even a thing until I saw you do it a lot with Doctor Mario. I have a bad habit of mashing directions in hitstun. I was wondering why I was eating like 40% from that dsmash, lol.

I can already tell there's a long road ahead. Right now this is me trying to do stuff in Project M. (hint: I'm the bird) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hspNaoxzNbs
I'm crying right now.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743

Lol yeah Ike is a tough character to main he sucks against anyone with an annoying projectile (case in point, Mario's fireballs). Also you should try not doing that in hitstun, you should try to DI correctly because Peach's fthrow was killing you way too early.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Bad decision, I'm guessing?

Edit: Ah, I see. Well, as of now he's the only character I seem to have potential with.
No he's crying because he mains Jiggs and he's tired of getting annihilated by my Ike lol, but it's ok because his Jiggs causes just as much destruction to my Peach.

@SR: Honestly, I think ZSS and Marth both beat Ike, but he's still a really scary character regardless.

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
Ooooh, gotcha. Heh.
No worries man, you're probably considerably better than I am. If your Jiggs can contend with his Peach, you've got nothing to fear from me. :3

someonerandom

Smash Journeyman
No he's crying because he mains Jiggs and he's tired of getting annihilated by my Ike lol, but it's ok because his Jiggs causes just as much destruction to my Peach.

@SR: Honestly, I think ZSS and Marth both beat Ike, but he's still a really scary character regardless.
Oops, I was just referring to my Jigglypuff actually, because I don't recall playing your Ike very many times with those two. When I think about it, I feel as though ZSS has the juggling ability and speed to her advantage, but I don't know how I feel about Marth. Getting in is super hard for some reason... Maybe I'm doing it wrong, lol.

Ooooh, gotcha. Heh.
No worries man, you're probably considerably better than I am. If your Jiggs can contend with his Peach, you've got nothing to fear from me. :3
I would ask to test that theory, but I probably won't be able to even get the chance to play until next weekend. ;P Say, you should second someone like... DK so I can fish for Rest set ups all day.

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Oops, I was just referring to my Jigglypuff actually, because I don't recall playing your Ike very many times with those two. When I think about it, I feel as though ZSS has the juggling ability and speed to her advantage, but I don't know how I feel about Marth. Getting in is super hard for some reason... Maybe I'm doing it wrong, lol.

I would ask to test that theory, but I probably won't be able to even get the chance to play until next weekend. ;P Say, you should second someone like... DK so I can fish for Rest set ups all day.
You just have to abuse his speed because Marth is way faster than Ike.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Marth's foxtrot is so good to use to dash in and out of your opponents. It positions you super low and if used correctly, can really pressure your opponents. Also you can jump cancel his grab out of it, he has a great grab range. If all else fails just SHFFL his Nair lol

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Marth's foxtrot is so good to use to dash in and out of your opponents. It positions you super low and if used correctly, can really pressure your opponents. Also you can jump cancel his grab out of it, he has a great grab range. If all else fails just SHFFL his Nair lol
You can jump cancel a grab out anyone's dash, in fact there is basically never any reason not to JC grabs because you get the same distance of a dash grab without the extra lag.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
You can jump cancel a grab out anyone's dash, in fact there is basically never any reason not to JC grabs because you get the same distance of a dash grab without the extra lag.
It's common sense that you should JC your grabs instead of just dash grabbing. I used that term to put emphasis on how Marth's JC grab is really good compared to others.

someonerandom

Smash Journeyman
You just have to abuse his speed because Marth is way faster than Ike.
Oh, in that case, it means I've been doing it right, lol. I go all out trying to pressure my opponent super hard and give them no chance to hit me, but then I end up running into stuff I shouldn't be getting hit by ever. :p

I use the slow dash-dance all day to make my movement a bit trickier, but that's about it, lol. Never thought of jump-canceling a grab though... Never even crossed my mind. O_o Need to start doing that, lol. I thought people were wavedashing super fast into a grab and I didn't have fast enough fingers for it with my configuration. >.> I do love the SHFFL N-air to death.

Top Bottom