• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
In response to 1, when Falcon comes flying at me when I'm facing him, I barely have time to turn around and B-air, or at least think of it.
It does give me the idea of always facing Falcon backwards. Seems like a good plan.
CCing Nairs I do sometimes, but after a N-air he always lands behind me and grabs by dashdancing into me :/.
Light shielding is something that's out of my skill so I'm not gonna rely on that :p

Anyway, thanks for the advice, it did give me some ideas. I think it just boils down to playing the matchup tons of times. I'm lucky to have a decent Falcon so close to me :p

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Man, I hate Sheik.

I really don't know what to do against her. I get outspaced, she attacks quicker, moves fluently. I can't get into her.

How do I kill a Sheik, how do I hit a Sheik and how do I stop being edgeguarded/killed by Sheik? Any tips?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
If you cargo down throw Sheik of the edge, she always has to come back wasting a double jump and Up B or spot dodge, even at 0%.
You can exploit this by quickly getting to the edge (and I mean QUICKLY because she can double jump Fair you) for invincibility. Afterwards, press forward or up (I guess you can waveland) to get off the edge, hopefully at the correct time, to regrab her if she lands on stage and repeat or go into any setup/punish you like.
The tricky part is timing so you don't get hit if she double jumps into an aerial and reading for the airdodge (if she does it). It's good to almost always expect an airdodge since UpBs are slower and easier to punish even with delayed reactions.
The best thing about this is that Sheik players have no clue about this and might actually leave themselves very vulnerable (for example, not Up Bing in time thinking that they would have made it back with just a double jump. Now they're lower down vertically and can die from a simple edgegrab).

At higher percents, you can do a cargo back throw for more distance, which makes this much much easier (since maybe she can't even land on stage anymore).

DK is a good at making Sheik realize how awful her recovery is.

This is also probably the gayest thing you can do to Cfalcon's and Ganon's recovery too. When you cargo down throw, regardless of %, they need to double jump + up B as well. But since Sheik is more dangerous, after I do the throw, I just repeatably Bair and dtilt them to death since these guys are much easier to take down.

Credit goes to RockCrock on this. I saw him "semi" doing it vs falcon and Fox. For awhile now, I've been trying it vs every character. The angle and distance that this throw gives isn't to be underestimated.

Don't be mad if you mess up, since you'll be giving them lots of damage anyways.

Btw, almost every character in the game is forced to double jump +air dodge/upB. We you wavedash back onto the edge, also consider that you can drop and UpB for a Spinningkong kill.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Thanks, NJ.

Yea, I saw that trick in a Mexican vid once and thought it was really good, so I mimicked it and start doing it on my friends. Too bad it didn't work on Marth :p
Most characters can actually make it back from what I've noticed.

I didn't know about Sheik, so thanks for the advice on that :)
The problem isn't so much what to do after a grab but how to get it in. Can I grab after aerials on shield? Which attacks of Sheik are safe to grab?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Dair is about the only thing you can shield grab since Sheik players now autocancel their Nairs and they're never gonna Uair a shield. However, since Sheik has ****ty horizontal movement in the air and DK has a decent dash speed, you can move in and shield as she's trying to space an aerial and end up making the air land on your shield incorrectly spaced. I can't really explain it well, but Hugs has spoken about it and it's a big part of his Samus ground game (being the amazing shield camper he is).

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
LOL get ***** Mex, I told you that and you were like "NOT POSSIBLE" after I played Jason in '08.

That gimp against Lunin game 1 was soooo cash, you had that ****. amazing DK as usual Mex.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
funny how a fox that fights against dk would try to wiggle out when they get cargo'd off the edge

you're not supposed to wiggle out. if you do, DK keeps his stock, and you get gimped LOL.

don't wiggle out so you both die, instead of just the fox (or falco or falcon i guess... not sure about other chars)

Mexican taught me this! *feels pro*

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I needs ganon help. What am I doing wrong? I need to ask a pro....Oh wait...I use DK...there aren't any pro DK players. lol. Where's pkmvodka when you need him? lol. He probably knows this matchup way better than I do. I felt like I was playing fairly well in these matches, but I still lost. =(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CaG88zd4g8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3fG3unztc8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYbXWqr9Nc8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGqDq1CvUFg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scxZ2vRcYOs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExtzFQc-AKI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_RLURc8GEY

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
just watched the first like 5 matches

you got baited into every single attack he did.

he also baited your shield grabs

basically you got outplayed

you need to speed up your DK and increase your work rate

also your spacing on shields with bair is horrible

you usually bair into them when people are shielding, then they just attack you right afterwards (look at match 2.2 at :53 seconds)

just speed up your game play man. dont attack where they are, but instead cover options on where theyre going to be. theyll eventually run into your bairs if you space them well

i can only really give you advice on how you play, now on how to make your DK better since you know DK alot more than me

you know i love you but i'm probably your biggest critic :D

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
just watched the first like 5 matches

you got baited into every single attack he did.

he also baited your shield grabs

basically you got outplayed

you need to speed up your DK and increase your work rate

also your spacing on shields with bair is horrible

you usually bair into them when people are shielding, then they just attack you right afterwards (look at match 2.2 at :53 seconds)

just speed up your game play man. dont attack where they are, but instead cover options on where theyre going to be. theyll eventually run into your bairs if you space them well

i can only really give you advice on how you play, now on how to make your DK better since you know DK alot more than me

you know i love you but i'm probably your biggest critic :D
I got baited because like kage said, DK has no approach to ganon. I took what potential opportunities i had. lol. And idk...i have bad spacing on it because i can't move fast enough to where i wanna get so i throw out what i can. lol. *shrugs*, just more proof that i need better tech skill

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
there were a lot of times where you were on the ledge and you did something dumb like ledgehop fair or repeatedly ledgeroll'd and it became predictable. when you're under 100% do ledgeattacks more. mix-up ledgeroll, ledgeattack, and standup on the stage. there's really not much else dk can do unless you want to ledgehop nair ledge regrab.

you were also facing ganon too often. you know more than anyone that you need to have your back to your opponent as DK. there were also times where you were in your shield and he was like right there and you didn't up-b out of shield. i was like "what?"
you also need to mix-up your movement a lot more. a lot of times you just kind of run up to them and shield. DK's shield is bad... cmon Mex. dash dance + wavedash more. make sure that before you wavedash you're facing away from your opponent so you can immediately bair.
when you land from bairing an opponent's shield, try doing an up-b immediately. it's 2 good.

also, do not counterpick ganon to yoshi's story. pokemon stadium is probably your best bet, you can also try FD or kongo jungle.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I think RockCrock is the best for this matchup since he played Linguini in it and did pretty well + he mains Ganon himself.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Here's something when you're on the ledge:
Ledgehop and charge your charge 1 time (you can do 2 times), cancel it and grab the ledge again (so don't go on the stage). If they're not close to you yet, or coming at you, do it again or just empty hop and grab the ledge again.
Then they'll think "oh he'll do it again" and you can just ledge-attack them incoming. This has worked more than it should work for me, but it's by no means guaranteed. It's just a fun trick to play out sometimes.
You obiously shouldn't do this if your opponent is already standing close to you, but when he's standing about as far out as your ledge attack, you can do it (against Ganon at least, he's not too quick).

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
most hilarious thing ever is ledgehop fully charged giant punch ledge regrab edgehog other opponent in teams.
I HAVE DONE IT.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Apex made me a million times better at the Fox and Falco matchup lol (only characters people used >.<)

Yall missed out!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
MEX, try DIing behind Sheik and Bair/Aerial Up-B'ing.
Also, you should try out stages like Brinstar and Kongo Jungle 64. I think you could benefit from trying out those stages.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Man, 0:38 was like :ohwell:, that was a panic downsmash, wasn't it? Like, to get him out of your face. Dsmash sucks against Sheik :/
I really don't know in NTSC, chaingrab is mad gay. When recovering, just go over him and dont try to fake him out by going back, and suddenly eating the B-air because that will just put you in the same position with more damage. Just go over him and eat the F-air or whatever, just don't get back-aired again. Against other Sheiks it might help, but not M2K <_<.

What was really weird is that you lost your punch when Sheik threw her needles at about 3:05. Did you up-B there?

Man, on match 2, I can't really find stuff you should've done, it was just not good enough. However, at about 4:40, you're both at sort of opposite sides, I think it really would've helped if you turned around go for B-airs. B-air is like your only move to keep sheik away.

Also ledgehop F-air is funny but not that good if they're not at furthest range possible to hit.

Bozo

Smash Cadet
i didn't mean that. Quit smash be a real Donkey kong and bair people mad respect for ya DK mains :) i wish i had a decent DK

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Okay I can't beat Peach. At all. What do I do once I grab her? At 0%, I can do something U-air and rack 40%, but when she's above 20%, I really have no idea what to do with it.

Her approach kills me, just throws a turnip and fairs after it. And the F-air always goes through my shield.

Living to high % I have no trouble with, but edgeguarding Peach or killing her. B-air is the only thing I ever hit with.

Is SH F-air a good way to deal with a peach floating at you?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Grab turnips. Charge punch at every opportunity (it's more than viable against her; you can do things like weak bair -> punch to kill her at mid percents lulz). Wavedash back to avoid fairs. CC her dash attacks at low percents.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Okay I can't beat Peach. At all. What do I do once I grab her? At 0%, I can do something U-air and rack 40%, but when she's above 20%, I really have no idea what to do with it.

Her approach kills me, just throws a turnip and fairs after it. And the F-air always goes through my shield.

Living to high % I have no trouble with, but edgeguarding Peach or killing her. B-air is the only thing I ever hit with.

Is SH F-air a good way to deal with a peach floating at you?
The way to beat peach is to find ways to not shield. I played pink shinobi quite a bit one day, and at first, i have to admit, he was messing me up. Everytime i went into my shield, i got messed up. I learned to stop using my shield, and jump around a lot and b air. If she's approach with a turnip to f air, just jump over her and do a b air on the way down...you gotta do stupid stuff like that. lol. Charge your giant punch constantly. I would even say don't worry too much about edgeguarding her because you won't succeed more often than you will. You have a better chance of just letting her recover while you fully charge your giant punch. At 20%, you can still u throw u air her, you just have to be fast...U throw u air works for a long time against peach....like up to like....100%...lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Stickying this thread because it deserves it.

How do I become so amazing like you, MEXICAN?!

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I've been repping a lot with him over here lately. The last 6 tournaments i've been to, i've placed top 5. 3 were smaller local tournaments where i got 1st/2nd at. 2 were bigger tournaments, like the cgc where i got obliterated and humbled by M2k, but still managed to get 5th at, and 1 was somewhere in between. It had a pretty good amount of ranked people there, I got 3rd, only to HomeMadeWaffles (******* picked falco against me lulz), and my brother Meep..which..if it was me and him in grand (because it was just me and him in winners finals), we were going to split anyway, so losing/beating him means nothing to me. lol. Btw guys, that ganon that i asked for help beating, haha, lets just say I got my confidence back and showed him and everyone watching why they call me MexiCAN. lol. Videos got recorded, will be up eventually...were supposed to be up like....3 weeks ago. haha. If you guys want, you can bug a guy named...er...called GKInfinity. He has the vids but is dragging his feet on uploading them. lol

Top Bottom