• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
How does DK do against Jigglypuff?

What are good approaches/combos/tactics/etc. to use in this matchup?

TrikELotus

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna try, no promises though. My job doesn't like to give me tournament days off. lol

I know what you mean. Also you probably already realize this but it's on the 15th, not the 17th (i hadn't actually looked at the thread)

Good luck in brackets and I hope to see you there.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
How does DK do against Jigglypuff?

What are good approaches/combos/tactics/etc. to use in this matchup?
I played this matchup a decent amount of times and I think DK does pretty well in it.
Like in other matchups, Ftilting after a Bair is a good way to avoid getting punished since it eats Puff's aerials. Bair itself is pretty self explanatory, it's pretty important against Puff's aerial spam. Grabs in this matchup work just like the Fox vs Jiggs matchup --> Cargo up throw to Uair works very well and is a effective way of KOing Jiggs. Giant Punch is also self explanatory, except, you can just throw it out as easily compared to other characters given Jiggs' aerial DI. Don't forget you can connect a Bair to Giant Punch combo, heh.
Um, I really don't know what else to say, I don't really do much else against Puffs. This matchup can be extremely boring :(

phish-it

Smash Champion
Jigglypuff can be a tough match-up but it's not that bad at all for DK if you know what your doing. Cargo up-throw up-air only works at really low % against jigglypuff, you can't legitimately kill from it since she goes too high and can jump out. Down throw to grab, giant punch, or running down-smash is good depending how they DI though. But it's tough to grab a good jigglypuff that spaces aerials on your shield, with his huge hands DK can still grab a crouching jigglypuff though. Pound is something to watch out for since it'll trade with your back air and beat most of your other moves, but if you can shield a missed pound it's a free crack outta the shield.

Oh yeah, and Jigglypuff is one of the few characters that can effectively edge-guard the Monk, which is something to watch out for though.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Wait what? I thought cargo up throw worked perfectly on Puff, as long as you time the double jump + immediate Uair right O_o
I'm able to land the Uair with DK much more consistently then with Fox on Puffs, hmm.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I have good news and bad news people. Good news is that i bought a dvd recorder and me and kfc recorded over 3 hours worth of matches. Bad news is that KFC ***** me in about 85 percent of those matches. lol. And since he knows DK like the back of his hand, its nearly impossible to land a lot of the tactics i've told you about, so they don't happen in my vids as often as i'd like. The vids will probably be up within the next few days..thats if i can figure out how to get the **** things on the computer. lol.

P.S. (MEXICAN combo video?)...i'll see what i can do..

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Looking forward to those vids Mexican!

Btw, anyone know anything about DK dittos? lol

I'll be playing Tink in some DK dittos and I just want to know if there's anything special DK can "do to himself".

TrikELotus

Smash Apprentice
Yeah MEXICAN there are some ways.

If its a normal DVD type of deal, you can download DVD Decrypter (google around) and you can pull down the whole DVD (the main video portion will probably be split into to 6 files)

From there you can get something like VirtualDubMOD or Sony Vegas that'll do things w/ the file.

DubMOD can convert the dvd files into AVI files (do NOT forget to compress it with something like DivX, it'll be a HUGE file otherwise) or you can import them to Vegas (video editing program) and it'd be a lot easier. You can just cut and choose what you want, really.

This all sounds a bit complicated and vague, I can talk to you more in detail over AIM or help you out with it at Quak's.

TrikELotus

Smash Apprentice
ez way to compress is to save it thru windows movie maker then UL to youtube after that, but wmm sux and u lose some quality, but the good thing is u can give it a target size when saving.

there r other ways but that ones jus easiest and would prolly be fine

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Well, this week I was going to do a Marth summary, but I suppose I'll do a quick DK since I do actually have some useful strats.

This is actually pretty short since DK is very straight forward. He can be hard, but the match really just comes down to responding correctly to DK's "stances."

Basically you have two main things to worry about. Is DK facing forward or backwards?

If DK is facing forward: He can only grab you. Push into him more and start using your down tilt and grabs more aggressively since he has a poor sidestep, poor and easily shield grabbed neutral air, slow forward air and your grab range is technically longer than DKs.

If DK is facing backwards: He can only back air so use more shadow balls and wavedash into him with your shield up and get him to poorly space his back airs on you while trying to time good wave dash down tilts as well if he's chaining them at you.

DK is kinda intimidating at first, but when you realize how limited he is based on how he is looking at you, then he is easier to manage. He punishes you hard with grabs, and keeps you out well with back air, but he can only pressure you with one thing at a time. Yeah dash dances and pivots can let him react to how you approach but pressuring him with your projectile before you make any moves on a dash dancing DK forces him to hold his position in some way. He either has to start shielding, back airing, side step, or jump over them.

If DK goes too high in the air and you can get under him, you get free damage. Use Down throws to set up easy tech chases and down tilt combos. Meta pretty much covered the edge guard.

Sorry if that seems unorganized, if you have any specific questions go ahead and post them and I'll try to answer them. I was kinda expecting to write about Marth this week.
lol, Mewtwo vs DK

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
lol, Mewtwo vs DK
My advice to anybody playing a mewtwo, is dash dance a lot, use b airs, and grab when you can. Mewtwo is a lot lighter and dies a lot sooner than DK does. Also, another very big thing to remember is that Mewtwo is a pretty defensive character. If someone is playing me defensively, i always go into giant punch mode. lol.

One thing to remember though is that Taj 2 stocked my dk at jungle japes.....lol. Granted i Sd'd, but he still would've won either way even if i didn't. Maybe you guys might have a little more experience on this matchup than i do. That was my first time ever playing a mewtwo that was serious, so my recommended strategies are based off of what i would think would work, not what i've learned works...

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
...noes =(

I can never find matches of Taj's Mewtwo... and a Mewtwo vs DK woulda been so cool!

Keyy

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I know you said you don't like small stages personally. But I like to know your thoughts about Brinstar, which has weird properties.
For a counterpick, would you take anyone to Brinstar?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Brinstar isn't really a small stage. The corners are huge.

Mexican says he doesn't like Yoshi Stories because of the small corners, hence, DK dieing earlier. Brinstar is the opposite though, DK can live for a long time.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
BTW peoples, random bit of info...When you're fighting marth, and he attempts a f smash, and you shield it, you should always get a grab off of it. There is just enough lag on it that even if you're out of grab range, you can shield dash in for a grab. Don't ever let a shielded f smash go unpunished. If you can punish the marth enough for this, he might be more reluctant to use it, and that's good for you since its one of the only moves marth has to ko dk with.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
what is the best way to juggle a falcon since he can jump out of the uair chain after the first one?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
At 0%, cargo up throw (no jump), Uair, regrab, cargo up throw (jump if you want), Uair Uair, then whatever from there = what I do.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
At 0%, cargo up throw (no jump), Uair, regrab, cargo up throw (jump if you want), Uair Uair, then whatever from there = what I do.
If the falcon di's up, he can escape the u throw u air regrab. Most falcons don't though. If you have one that knows they can escape that way, then just sh u throw, u air, u air and then regrab. Then you can just u throw (no jump) u air u air and so on and so forth

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Okay, so I know about the combos on fastfallers but... what do you do to floaties after you get a grab? Cargo uthrow uair rarely connects for me... at the moment, I go for bthrow bairs for gimps and such.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Cargo Uair should work on any character, make sure you're timing the double jump + Uair correctly.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Okay, so I know about the combos on fastfallers but... what do you do to floaties after you get a grab? Cargo uthrow uair rarely connects for me... at the moment, I go for bthrow bairs for gimps and such.
Cargo u throw, FULL JUMP u air, dj up b. If you do this right, it can easily lead to 40+ damage as the up b can do a total of 33 damage if done right

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
That only works on floaties like Marth/Peach, right? Because I think on floatlies like Luigi or Puff, you have to simply double jump Uair.

Top Bottom