• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Critique My Diddy" Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, I didn't realize my Diddy was so simple-minded

Jokes, how should I use his peanuts? Whenever I do try using them it doesn't help much..how are they supposed to be spaced?

Jokes

Smash Cadet
It's not so much to damage people with B, it's more or so to force your opponent to approach or cut off options in certain situations, such as ledgeguarding with them to prevent a ledgejump.

Personally, I force a D3 into the air with peanuts (unless they start to roll... lol?), then hitstun with GTUThrown banana to said aerial, which works for me well. You can always outwait his jumps since he really can't go OVER you without getting punished. You really should've camped him more since GTFThrown banana to dash attack isn't great on D3 especially with that shield + grab game of his.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Hello again, I have come requesting critique. This is a playlist of all the matches from UA's first crew practice that were pretty even, but I that I ended up losing (save one of them). If you could pick any single match from the playlist, it would really help (seriously... if you could critique more than one, that'd be great, but just any one would help).

UA's First Crew Practice Night: Ingulit's Matches
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=8D4D1E50963D05BB

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
- When recovering, you seemed to be in a rush to get back on-stage and this left you open for a lot of attacks. Don't do that, wait until you can mf to the ledge or above stage without lag or aim the barrels so that you land on ground as soon as possible when you fly onto the stage.

- Another would be lack of momentum cancelling and habit of airdodging. This rly affects your recovery options, improve this and it's a 2 birds, 1 stone thing. Uhh first of all, if it's not snake, pit, falco, maybe mk, you trying to tech, you trying to avoid a stage hazard, or escape a combo/string, there's no reason why you should react to getting hit with an airdodge. Instead, choose where you're going to di and what move is best to momentum cancel with then work out a plan as you're recovering to maybe gimp your opponent or get on the ledge or stage safely.

- Then comes the common problem. Auto-piloting. You did this against mk when he was about to die and in the beginning of your second stock letting him make a comeback and taking advantage of it to take the lead. Same thing against JMIX's Mario on FD both matches, more specifically on his first stocks, first time you getting graped cuz he broke your momentum early, second time you get his 1st stock but he wouldn't let you get any momentum going when he returned, and tanked through your second or last stock(forgot already). You also tried it on his Luigi but couldn't cuz it's Luigi. Don't let yourself get too confident, try thinking a bit more before rushing in.

- Your biggest problem imo, too aggro and reckless. Again and again running into attacks. This I saw most against JMIX's Luigi. I'm guessing you got cocky with Fair and started spamming it cuz it beats or at least trade hits with all of Luigi's aerials and this cost you a bunchload of opportunities to ko or do something else that would've helped. Slow down, wait, think, or camp if you have to, but anything is better than repeatedly taking grapage.

I saw one of mk vs. diddy on ps1(1st one on the playlist) and the 4 matches against JMIX and listed what I think were the cons that influenced your diddy game more.

Posted this at 1 in the morning, lots of the post was graped by wiinet. Sleepy advice is meh. O_0

DFEAR

Smash Hero
argh inguilt why would u try to ledgehog a metaknight. ITS IMPOSSIBLE lol...but i did see what u tried to do though. i liked the matches.

i need to upload moar of my stuff >_<

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
- When recovering, you seemed to be in a rush to get back on-stage and this left you open for a lot of attacks. Don't do that, wait until you can mf to the ledge or above stage without lag or aim the barrels so that you land on ground as soon as possible when you fly onto the stage.

- Another would be lack of momentum cancelling and habit of airdodging. This rly affects your recovery options, improve this and it's a 2 birds, 1 stone thing. Uhh first of all, if it's not snake, pit, falco, maybe mk, you trying to tech, you trying to avoid a stage hazard, or escape a combo/string, there's no reason why you should react to getting hit with an airdodge. Instead, choose where you're going to di and what move is best to momentum cancel with then work out a plan as you're recovering to maybe gimp your opponent or get on the ledge or stage safely.

- Then comes the common problem. Auto-piloting. You did this against mk when he was about to die and in the beginning of your second stock letting him make a comeback and taking advantage of it to take the lead. Same thing against JMIX's Mario on FD both matches, more specifically on his first stocks, first time you getting graped cuz he broke your momentum early, second time you get his 1st stock but he wouldn't let you get any momentum going when he returned, and tanked through your second or last stock(forgot already). You also tried it on his Luigi but couldn't cuz it's Luigi. Don't let yourself get too confident, try thinking a bit more before rushing in.

- Your biggest problem imo, too aggro and reckless. Again and again running into attacks. This I saw most against JMIX's Luigi. I'm guessing you got cocky with Fair and started spamming it cuz it beats or at least trade hits with all of Luigi's aerials and this cost you a bunchload of opportunities to ko or do something else that would've helped. Slow down, wait, think, or camp if you have to, but anything is better than repeatedly taking grapage.

I saw one of mk vs. diddy on ps1(1st one on the playlist) and the 4 matches against JMIX and listed what I think were the cons that influenced your diddy game more.

Posted this at 1 in the morning, lots of the post was graped by wiinet. Sleepy advice is meh. O_0
Thank you a lot for this; you really spelled out what my friends have been trying to tell me in a way I could understand. I'll definitely put this into practice whenever I can, thank you again!

Silver Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
Time for watch that random guy's HORRIBLE Diddy part 2!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWIdvbXUrpk

I'm messing up simple techs... a lot...but at least I'm not running into him with dash attacks every 2 seconds. Advice?

Last time I was told to shoot more peanuts to limit DDD's options..as you can see, I need a little more info on how it's supposed to be used =P

Jokes

Smash Cadet
You started losing it towards the end. :/

When D3's in the air, you almost ALWAYS throw your banana forward when he uses another jump to dodge it. That makes it so that D3 is in front of the banana, in the air, guarding it, so if you chase the banana, you're going to get DAired/BAired. BAir is easy to punish, just sheild BAir can land with nanner OoS to 50% combo. If you're going to punish an air camper, dribble/throw bananas up. (You REALLY need to start using dribble.) I personally GT UThrow OoS to FHFAir a DAir camping D3. You need to camp him more. D3 can't camp if you just PShield Waddle Dee's (so easy with popgun shield cancel them,) Learn to aim arcing peanuts too, and always have a banana in hand (and another on the field is highly recommended) before you start major camping so that he's afraid to approach. Peanuts stop all momentum and cancel out approaches. Shoot them. :O

Learn to not be so afraid when your opponent has a banana. It helps to learn techniques like Z catching, instant throw, shield catching, barrel canceling, and FAir/BAir OoS. And too boot, D3's item abilities are quite shabby.

P.S. Try to move faster to keep momentum going, and get close enough to that you pick up your banana instead of jabbing. xD

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
Recovering from below= not a great idea.
Throwing away bananas to your opponent (missing)= not a great idea.
Hitting with the banana but missing follow-ups= not a great idea.

So yeah, capitalize when you get the trip, keep the naner on hand when possible, don't get gimped.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Basically everything Hobs and Jokes said. Capitalizing on banana trips is vital and mainly relys on quick reflexes. You need react with your mind to make the right follow-up and your reflexes to make sure you hit. Like I said before, there is a lot to do and you do the minimum right now. Don't take it as an insult or anything, all Diddys start out the same way. It's just a matter of playing him a lot and understanding how he works. Speaking of which, do you main Diddy or secondary him? He is one of the hardest characters to play (def in the top 3 with Peach and IC) and seconding him only makes it harder on yourself.

To expand on what Jokes said on not being afraid when someone has a naner, Diddy can beat anybody else's banana game fairly easily. Most of it is going to be perfect sheilding it and catching it in the air with an aerial if they approach in the air, or an Air catch > d-throw>follow-up if they approach from the ground (dash attacks, ect.). It's just a matter of knowing what to do in the right situations and having the reflexes to pick up the naners before your opponent. Also, I don't think DA should be un-used. It is actually a pretty abusable move and I usually use it to pick up most of my bananas unless I know i'll get punished for it. Use it and abuse it until it stops working, that's how you learn what is good for you and what isn't. Or at least that's what I've always done, just make sure you learn from your mistakes and not try the same things over and over again. You got very predictable.

Silver Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
I am learning Diddy as a secondary, I picked him up because I've always liked using him and he covers Wario's bad stages (FD, Luigi's Mansion and Pictochat when legal) VERY well.

I forgot to say that game was online..powershielding and z-catching is really hard on wifi lol (I can powershield fairly well actually.... z-catching is another story)

Thanks for the advice guys, sorry for making you put yourself through that crappy match :p

Jokes

Smash Cadet
z-catching is really hard on wifi lol
.....What?
If you're talking about catching a banana thrown on a platform, then lol.
I presume you're talking about catching a nanner with an active hitbox from your enemy. Online, you have to predict the throw. I personally never Z catch, instant throw shifts the momentum because they run right into it instead of me still being pressured, but strapped with a nanner.

Yea, so, just work on not being so straight forward. Like Goose said, that Diddy is in its simplest form. Watch others and learn when to use other AT's instead of glide toss forward and forward. I REALLY suggest you start applying dribbling to your metagame, it's VERY good. Also, research more options, you're running a bit dry on strategies and AT's. It keeps you unpredictable and harder to read, and you basically do better in matches with a bit of random (barrel cancel is a perfect example.) No insults intended by the way, bro. :S

rvkevin

Smash Lord
You missed/got punished for a lot of Dsmashes, so Dtilt or reset the spacing. He Naired and would land behind you a lot, so either Usmash, pivot grab, or Roll/Run away. Staying in shield is really bad against Wario. Don't be afraid to let him approach and punish him with retreating glide tosses, Fair, etc. Don't shoot peanuts when he's that close. I think his bite can beat every attack so either wait it out or use a banana before punishing.

Jokes

Smash Cadet
First match, you played REALLY smart until the end. You just started aulopiloting and aggro-ing, which got you killed. You started trying to fight him in the air. Lol. You need to use more banana to kill too, and not just FAir. Also, you'd just keep throwing nanners under him, then he would punish. You gotta play a bit more campy on Wario and not let him take the lead.

When you were getting pressured, you would roll, then get punished again. You started shielding all of the hits and got punished badly for it. :S Try to make sure Wario doesn't break you D:

COUNT THAT FART TIMER. MATH EXISTS IN BRAWL

Edit: WiiNet advice is shabby.

Dekar173

Justice Man
rvkevin gave some useful tidbits, another thing is that you MUST capitalize when he whiffs/hits your shield with fsmash. It's a free grab, or worse (when you have a naner in hand).

Also, if he's biting to get rid of your naners, you can monkey flip if spaced properly and grab HIM instead :)

Also, you tended to stale your fsmash which is bad for two reasons, it's a kill move, as well as pretty easily DIable if they know its coming (which means punish city) so be careful about that!

Jokes

Smash Cadet
Lovin' all these new MK videos.

First match you played decently well, but you normally want to recover high against MK unless you want to get ***** while using barrels. It's good that you weren't dash attacking after nanner toss for fear of UpB OoS, but grab gets predictable and decays really fast if you spam it, so if the trip is for sure, try dash attack followups as well.

Camp Metaknight, don't approach him, make him approach you. Peanut, punish attack to followup. Just don't go offstage, lol.

You still lack judgement on when to kill people. At the end of the second match, you had momentum going for like, 45 seconds, but, like many other Diddy's I've seen, you just wouldn't kill him. SHFAir, FSmash, and DSmash are main killers, while F/BThrow, BAir, UAir, and UTilt (if it's not decayed.) are mostly for if they're at ridiculously high percents. You would repeatedly grab him after a nanner toss and throw him back off stage, which is fine for setting up momentum, but it went all the way to 193%. You could tech chase the trip into a kill move or surprise him with an FAir, but you have to kill him before he gets momentum back at 300% and takes your stock after you were being so predictable. =/

This is an older one from i think Aug 09?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27uslHPG170

i choked my lead like a scrub.
I almost practically foresaw a Diddy Hump at 0:22 and almost got excited that you baited him into it. >:O

You were pretty much straightforward and ran into nado sometimes after a forward GT. He'd bait the toss sometimes and hit you with something.

You started chokin at the end scrub. Gtfooo. TECH THE STAGE. >:O

Other than that, this wasn't a half bad match until you messed up at the end. Good Diddy as far as I could tell at 1:00 A.M.

Xionix

Smash Journeyman
eh its an old video. i feel like im much better and faster than that now. ill try to get some vids this winter break up, or maybe after finals.

thanks for the comments though.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Hey guys, thanks for all the help lately. I've been busy so i never get to write full critiques anymore. I'm glad this thread is picking up and that it finally got it's sticky.

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so heres the deal. I main kirby, and submain samus at the moment. The thing is im might ge my main to diddy if you guys think i have a chance. Ive only watched a few diddy videos, and read a few techs but never practiced them before. Anyway, this is my diddy. 2 videos. One against sniper night owl, the other against t dont know :/ anyways, heres the links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYAZEPGJfL4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR0qI1l8Hv0

by the way, this is what SNO did to another diddy (not me)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DRHNTIyqlg&NR=1

Jokes

Smash Cadet
Ok, so heres the deal. I main kirby, and submain samus at the moment. The thing is im might ge my main to diddy if you guys think i have a chance. Ive only watched a few diddy videos, and read a few techs but never practiced them before. Anyway, this is my diddy. 2 videos. One against sniper night owl, the other against t dont know :/ anyways, heres the links

It looks like you just bought brawl and decided to play as the small monkey with no pants on.

I can't tell if you "have a chance" because you hardly used anything regarding Diddy Kong. It looked like that Fox knew more about banana's than you did. you didn't even know that kicking out of Diddy Flip kept you from using UpB, so you SD'd first stock. Diddy is definitely in the top 3 for hardest character to use, so I suggest you put a lot more time and effort into looking up how he works, because if you want to main him, it takes dedication. Again, I can't even tell if you have a chance because you haven't even put in any research to him. In no means am I trying to direct you away from using the half-naked monkey, so come back with new videos after you've worked on him for awhile, alright? ;)

sai_:)

Smash Ace
...ok the stuff im about to say is going to make me sound like some super douche internet troll kind of guy and i promise im not that person.

You definitely have alooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot to learn about the littering half nekkid aids monkey. At the very beginning of the match it showed that you didnt rly use diddy because you stuggled for so long just to pick up that banana on the top platform. all you needed to do was full hop and tap z and you would have caught it. Also i saw you using side smash waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than a diddy ever should. The amount of side smashes u put into that first match would equal like 5 matches for myself. His side smash is in all honesty a better tool for dishing out damage than actually getting his kills...kills that couldnt be acheived because you staled that move SOOO hard. diddy's strongest and most reliable kill move is his D-smash...and thats only at the front.

I honestly think you should sit down in training mode and practice catching bananas because thats something i saw you struggle with throughout the entire match. Take some time to look into the vast amount of information you can find on Diddy right in these boards. If YOUR unable to control your own bananas then any other experienced player can put you in a world of pain. Your opponent should NEVER, i repeat, NEVER have more banana control than you.

Also i didnt see any glide tossing, jump canceling, pivot grabbing, dribbling, instant throwing, or anything of that sort. Now I'm aware that you are just starting out with Diddy and that is okay because all of us started where you started. However you must most DEFINITELY put in the time and energy that is Diddy Kong in order to be "successful" with him. He's like THE most technical character in the entire game and should be approached as such.

Im sure you can do it but just know that very few people put in the high level of effort for diddy kong if they aren't going to main him. so definitely consider that as well...

So overall...
1) I suggest spending alot of time practicing in training mode just catching the bananas. you want to be very comfortable with the all mighty peels...you dont wanna have an issue of missing catches in serious matches.

2) Take a look around the Diddy boards and gather as much information about him as you can...and there is a lot of it. Practice and utilize as much as you can learn about him.

3) check out his matchup ratios to decide if you even want/need to use this character...you could very well be already covering your bad matchups with the characters your using.

4) Have fun with him lol. He takes a lot of work but if your willing to do it the results are nice. You'll have a character with a variety of tricks and play styles and a huge number of Advanced techniques at your disposal.

...Hope i didnt sound like a douche, and good luck to you.

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
...ok the stuff im about to say is going to make me sound like some super douche internet troll kind of guy and i promise im not that person.

You definitely have alooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot to learn about the littering half nekkid aids monkey. At the very beginning of the match it showed that you didnt rly use diddy because you stuggled for so long just to pick up that banana on the top platform. all you needed to do was full hop and tap z and you would have caught it. Also i saw you using side smash waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than a diddy ever should. The amount of side smashes u put into that first match would equal like 5 matches for myself. His side smash is in all honesty a better tool for dishing out damage than actually getting his kills...kills that couldnt be acheived because you staled that move SOOO hard. diddy's strongest and most reliable kill move is his D-smash...and thats only at the front.

I honestly think you should sit down in training mode and practice catching bananas because thats something i saw you struggle with throughout the entire match. Take some time to look into the vast amount of information you can find on Diddy right in these boards. If YOUR unable to control your own bananas then any other experienced player can put you in a world of pain. Your opponent should NEVER, i repeat, NEVER have more banana control than you.

Also i didnt see any glide tossing, jump canceling, pivot grabbing, dribbling, instant throwing, or anything of that sort. Now I'm aware that you are just starting out with Diddy and that is okay because all of us started where you started. However you must most DEFINITELY put in the time and energy that is Diddy Kong in order to be "successful" with him. He's like THE most technical character in the entire game and should be approached as such.

Im sure you can do it but just know that very few people put in the high level of effort for diddy kong if they aren't going to main him. so definitely consider that as well...

So overall...
1) I suggest spending alot of time practicing in training mode just catching the bananas. you want to be very comfortable with the all mighty peels...you dont wanna have an issue of missing catches in serious matches.

2) Take a look around the Diddy boards and gather as much information about him as you can...and there is a lot of it. Practice and utilize as much as you can learn about him.

3) check out his matchup ratios to decide if you even want/need to use this character...you could very well be already covering your bad matchups with the characters your using.

4) Have fun with him lol. He takes a lot of work but if your willing to do it the results are nice. You'll have a character with a variety of tricks and play styles and a huge number of Advanced techniques at your disposal.

...Hope i didnt sound like a douche, and good luck to you.
I used some throw canceling (When you side dash and throw)
And im usually good with bananna catching. The button lag on my side was around 1-2 seconds

and i also knew that his sideb didnt let u up b. I was just foolish to attack fox at the time. I thought i might end up grabbing the ledge.... but w/e

Anyway, thank you both for your advice. Ill read into the diddy boards and practice a bit and see if i get any better.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779

lmfao.... I was sandbagging in that match obsly and im sure samboner was too. I even gave him the win because I KNOW he's super new to Brawl. I'm really getting fed up of people uploading matches of me, identifying me when i am being kind to new players and putting them on youtube. :(

this was the match before the diddy kong one when me and Sam fought him. Samboner zero deathed and ***** the **** out of his kirby, you really think i was going to do the same against his Diddy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB1bntcHjvY

=/

btw paladin, you just lost the right to fight me now. GJ.

edit: and dont ask me to give you anymore kirby advice. I was going to do a nice long write up against Sam's Fox, but **** it, you don't deserve it now.

edit 2:
yea, no **** that's what I did to that Diddy because I wasn't sandbagging. Jesus H. Christ. :ohwell:

Smash Ace
Well hold on now SNO we all could see the sandbagging but im sure he didnt upload these video's out of spite. he came here just asking about Diddy related stuff. could have been the only replays of Diddy he had. I highly doubt he uploaded this saying " ha ha look how ****ty these guys are ha ha". This is no reason to NOT help out a new player anywhere. Also anybody that really knows how you play will know when you are and are not doing your best. Reacting THIS HARSHLY to it almost sorta screams out that you have insecurities or something. Maybe just take it easy on the guy I'm sure what your taking from this wasn't his intention.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Well hold on now SNO we all could see the sandbagging but im sure he didnt upload these video's out of spite. he came here just asking about Diddy related stuff. could have been the only replays of Diddy he had. I highly doubt he uploaded this saying " ha ha look how ****ty these guys are ha ha". This is no reason to NOT help out a new player anywhere. Also anybody that really knows how you play will know when you are and are not doing your best. Reacting THIS HARSHLY to it almost sorta screams out that you have insecurities or something. Maybe just take it easy on the guy I'm sure what your taking from this wasn't his intention.
this isn't the first time I had this happen to me, being at Pokemon or Brawl and im fed up with it. I have no insecurities it's just something that has happened to me in the past. I go easy on someone- then they put the **** up. I don't deserve that, and Samboner isn't happy about it either. :(

edit: Honestly i feel like im being taken advantage of sometimes. And it's hurtful. :'(

Smash Ace
Well I can see where your coming from but AAAAAANYBODY watching Sam play that match can tell he is sand bagging. i mean who knows a fox that can short hop laser like perfectly...and not play well. That fox doesnt exist. If its that serious to you i guess you could ask him to take the matches down. I mean since theyve already been critiqued, his goal for uploading them should be accomplished.

Also ive had people randomly upload matches of me that are like terrible so i get what your saying.

@Paladin77- In the future be sure you get the consent of the other player before you upload a match to youtube. Cause these two do have the right to be upset about this.

Jokes

Smash Cadet
I guess it's jokes to the rescue again. (After all, laughter is the best type of medicine.)
Haha, a funny...
O_o...

ANYWAYS, it's a good thing you changed your playstyle up so that you didn't completely get assraped by that Snake. At the first part of the match, you just kept dash attacking trying to combo the fatty, which got punished by 1 frame nade pulls. Also, don't diddy kick if your diddy hump misses, jump out of the way (and airdodge) to avoid FTilt or UTilt OoS. Hump Snake when he shields more too, you'd always dash in and grab. Ohh, and if Snake's spotdodging your grabs, pivot grab or diddy hump instead. Also, try not to stale your smashes on Snake, since that beast is going to live until 160+% if they DI well.

This is irrelevant to the video, but if you have problems with Snake, you can use ADHD's "Snake Slayer" by:
Double/Single Banana Lock to the end of the stage - Grab so that Snake is over the edge (as if you've grabbed him off of his cypher) - Pummel break Snake - Follow Snake's DI with a Diddy hump, jump if he doesn't struggle out fast enough, DHGRFS (Diddy Hump Grab Release Foot Stool) if he breaks out early, then recover.

Whambo, Snake is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom