• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Critique My Diddy" Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
I really didnt know all of this hurt SNO all so much...
I mean i assumed she didnt care. SHe puts up so many videos, and i bet some of them arnt even approved by her opponent.
Sai90 said you sand bagged me, and SNO, you say i sandbagged you... so i really dont see why youre so upset. I mean i didnt try to sandbag you...

Well, i dont know about this stuff, so anyway, Paladin out

Sorry about this minispam- dont minimod it anyone :/

sai_:)

Smash Ace
Okay a few things I'm noticing so far. When your landing these Dash attacks at really low percentages you should be comboing until at least around 40-ish. If you check the thread theres alot of info you can find about diddy's combo's.

an example for landing that dash attack could have been
D.A>u-tilt>u-tilt>f-air.
or that dash attack could have led into u-tilt>bair>bair side b.
actually at low percentages Diddy's dash attack leads into a huge list of different combo's and setups. also you missed a few gimps and edgehogs on the falco.

Heres a trick in this matchup that i abuse alot. You knocked Falco off stage at a great angle. You hit him with a b-air at 1:27. Now at this time you could have very easily gotten a kill there. Falco's best recovery option is his Side b and not his up b. However it has to go completely horizontally towards his goal which is either the stage or the ledge. Diddy's peanut gun when charged ALSO goes horizontally. So what you would do is shoot that charged peanut at the most in-opportune time for falco. the peanut will knock him out of side b, cause him to drop down a little and probably use his up b. however its so awful and predictable you can just edge hog it. So every time a falco is recovering horizontally remember that a charged peanut shot will VERY effectively stop it.

also I noticed you doing a lot of rolls which isnt really too beneficial and when you would get hit you would airdodge afterwards. I suggest looking up momentum canceling.

Overall I would say definitely reduce the rolling, and practice/ research followups and combo's for diddy...cause he has A LOT of them.

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
Garabon :diddy: Vs. Arty :luigi2: 1
Garabon :diddy: Vs. Arty :gw: 2
Garabon :diddy: Vs. Arty :gw: 3

Ok, so I used to main Diddy and I got critiqued a few times a while back, but then I dropped him for Ice Climbers. Well, after playing on Wifi alot, I realized Ice Climbers are really bad in lag, so I relearned Diddy to play on wifi, but then he became much better than my Ice Climbers so now I main Diddy.

This set was on wifi, so there is some lag shinanagins in there, but overall the lag was relatively low for the set. I think it was good enough to be critiqued in.

So I have my first (technically second, but I had to leave early and didn't get to enter singles) tournament coming up soon (assuming I can find a ride...) and I need all the help I can get. Any critique would be helpful! Thanks guys!

Jokes

Smash Cadet
ADHD's snake slayer...wtf lol
Yo yo, ADHD pulled this **** on Ally at GameUnicon. No johns.

you don't need to footstool if he uses his cypher...
Footstool just aids recovery if the Snake doesn't struggle out fast enough. :|
It's touch and go.

Critique:
Garabon, two big problems you should fix.
Airdodging after hitstun (unless you want to momentum cancel the asian way)
and rolling. :S
Good OoS though.
@Luigi
It seems like you have trouble with the Luigi MU in general. You really shouldn't even be approaching Luigi, you should make him come to you, and don't follow up a trip unless you're positive it'll hit or you WGT. Try to read Luigi and punish a fluke, because you're not going to get kills any other way since the only way Luigi can REALLY die is if he makes a mistake.
Ohh, and chill with the autopilot. It looks like you're just mindlessly aggro-ing him.
@GW
0:22 to 0:26, you rolled behind him 3 times. I was surprised he didn't punish you.
0:48 to 0:50 you rolled 2 times, and the second was practically pointless, you just could've spotdodged and had less vulnerability. Don't choke and roll when you shield, try to OoS, grab, or, if you have to, jump away.
2:06, yo, if you didn't grab the banana after the second dribble, he would've tripped, and you could've smashed brooo, same at 3:10 (another form of autopiloting)
You were aggro-ing and autopiloting GW too, again camp him, and punish his laggy aerials.
If I'm not getting to you, you rolled about 45 times in the second video alone, multiply that by 3 (because I have too much of a life to count the other two) and you have about 135 rolls a set. O_O

Player-1

Smash Legend
Yo yo, ADHD pulled this **** on Ally at GameUnicon. No johns.

Footstool just aids recovery if the Snake doesn't struggle out fast enough. :|
It's touch and go.
no..if he struggles out then it acts like as if you grab him from the stage and he cant use it anymore

Jokes

Smash Cadet
no..if he struggles out then it acts like as if you grab him from the stage and he cant use it anymore
Uhh, I know? I said it helped with Diddy's recovery in case barrels couldn't make it back, bro. =/
Footstool is optional. Snake is still dead unless he C4's, but footstool delays the C4 more, and gets you back to the stage quicker/in case you couldn't make it with just barrels.

andilex

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0232-8508-7675

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Gnes is just jeal cuz i beat razer with mah eyes half-closed.
my eyes were closed. people were throwing apples at my controller. aids was flowing out of my eyes. i then proceeded to self destruct mid match in real life. the cops were there and everything. until we meet again young one.

TheMike

Smash Lord
ADHD's "Snake Slayer" by:
Double/Single Banana Lock to the end of the stage - Grab so that Snake is over the edge (as if you've grabbed him off of his cypher) - Pummel break Snake - Follow Snake's DI with a Diddy hump, jump if he doesn't struggle out fast enough, DHGRFS (Diddy Hump Grab Release Foot Stool) if he breaks out early, then recover.

Whambo, Snake is dead.
ADHD is God!!! And thanks for more advice, man. =]

OverLade

Smash Hero
I 2 stocked Gnes
in a friendly
so I am better than Mew2king at the diddy matchup.

BTW if you guys haven't seen Gnes in teams....yall haven't seen anything lol.

This dude was on Rainbow cruise, and didn't go past 17% for the first 3 minutes. Razer was at 1 stock before he lost his first stock.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Psh, I've kept my first stock for over 5-6 minutes on Delfino against Lee Martin and Dojo. Hell, I've kept my first stock for so long that my partner steals 2 lives from me and they STILL die before I do lol.

Gnes good in teams though. He's always having to carry Razer hard though lol.

Gnes

Smash Master
Psh, I've kept my first stock for over 5-6 minutes on Delfino against Lee Martin and Dojo. Hell, I've kept my first stock for so long that my partner steals 2 lives from me and they STILL die before I do lol.

Gnes good in teams though. He's always having to carry Razer hard though lol.
LMAFO...come on now dmg, was there really a point to this post? Like seriously, all Red was doing was complimenting me for something i did at winterfest. He said nothing about YOUR skill in doubles or YOUR stock tanking skills.

Thanks red, sorry for your taking your states teams money, had to pay the bills son.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
I wish i could help but I really can't think of anything anymore. I stopped playing Brawl for a long time but I am going to start playing compulsively again.

Count

Smash Champion
Andilex, you looked pretty good. Your use of the side b latch against falco is great and very necessary for that matchup, and overall you seemed like a pretty smart diddy.

Try to
-Not have the same airdodge patterns on the way down. You basically airdodged at the sametimes, but the falco didn't punish you, and also sometimes after airdodging you couldn't hit falco with an aerial

-Roll less. Falco could've punished lots of those rolls, and it would've been especially bad if he had done it with a grab at low percents. A lot of times you rolled when rolling wasn't a terrible option, but you had better options, like bair oos. I don't think I saw one bair oos and you had multiple opportunities to do it.

-Have less predictable recovery and ledge options. I noticed you did regular getup a lot, and generally go to the ledge the same (granted it isn't as tricky against falco as some characters)

-Maybe throw in a few more mixups, like more dribbling or z dropping, and generally become a bit smoother. The difference between top diddys like gnes and ADHD and other diddys is that the top diddys are more smooth. You don't see them messing up combos and grabs.

Hope that helps! I don't mean to sound negative, you have a good diddy!

andilex

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0232-8508-7675
Andilex, you looked pretty good. Your use of the side b latch against falco is great and very necessary for that matchup, and overall you seemed like a pretty smart diddy.

Try to
-Not have the same airdodge patterns on the way down. You basically airdodged at the sametimes, but the falco didn't punish you, and also sometimes after airdodging you couldn't hit falco with an aerial

-Roll less. Falco could've punished lots of those rolls, and it would've been especially bad if he had done it with a grab at low percents. A lot of times you rolled when rolling wasn't a terrible option, but you had better options, like bair oos. I don't think I saw one bair oos and you had multiple opportunities to do it.

-Have less predictable recovery and ledge options. I noticed you did regular getup a lot, and generally go to the ledge the same (granted it isn't as tricky against falco as some characters)

-Maybe throw in a few more mixups, like more dribbling or z dropping, and generally become a bit smoother. The difference between top diddys like gnes and ADHD and other diddys is that the top diddys are more smooth. You don't see them messing up combos and grabs.

Hope that helps! I don't mean to sound negative, you have a good diddy!
thank you :)
and yea i know i air dogde the same, its cuz i play my friend so much im used to how he plays, and when i go to a tourny i become predictable,

haha
well if anyone else wants to rate my diddy go ahead, ha

TreK

Is "that guy"
Duh, I never think about dtilting after a nana, kill me plz.

That's a cool diddy you've got there ; it's better than mine even if that's nothing hard atm (duh), I won't critique...

Count

Smash Champion
I didn't mean to sound cocky/arrogant if that was the case in my critique..tbh i have no idea if you are better than me.

I just feel like I can critique fairly well so when given the opportunity I like to critique :)

Magik0722

Smash Champion
thank you :)
and yea i know i air dogde the same, its cuz i play my friend so much im used to how he plays, and when i go to a tourny i become predictable,

haha
well if anyone else wants to rate my diddy go ahead, ha
dont blame me for your shortcomings

Yubi

Smash Cadet

Count

Smash Champion
Great diddy! Why hasn't anybody seen your diddy before? You PR guys are always sneaking up on people! I had to look really hard to find stuff to critique you but hopefully at least one of these things helps. I'm mainly gonna critique the two snake ones I watched since they're recent.

-I think you could've used the diddy latch in a few situations, or maybe improved the spacing on it a couple times.

-Trying to predict a landing by charging a smash against snake is really dangerous. If you're wrong, you take an ftilt, and are then off the stage which allows snake to get stage control and makes life tough on you to get back into control.

-I think instead of air dodging throw in a b reversal from time to time. Mix it up on your recovery from above.

-I mainly noticed this in the really old vid but you almost always followed up with DA then when sometimes a grab would've been better.

This is all mostly nitpicky and small stuff, I couldn't find much wrong with your diddy. I'm really looking forward to see how you do at pound, good luck :)

xMPDx

Smash Cadet
Great diddy! Why hasn't anybody seen your diddy before? You PR guys are always sneaking up on people! I had to look really hard to find stuff to critique you but hopefully at least one of these things helps. I'm mainly gonna critique the two snake ones I watched since they're recent.

-I think you could've used the diddy latch in a few situations, or maybe improved the spacing on it a couple times.

-Trying to predict a landing by charging a smash against snake is really dangerous. If you're wrong, you take an ftilt, and are then off the stage which allows snake to get stage control and makes life tough on you to get back into control.

-I think instead of air dodging throw in a b reversal from time to time. Mix it up on your recovery from above.

-I mainly noticed this in the really old vid but you almost always followed up with DA then when sometimes a grab would've been better.

This is all mostly nitpicky and small stuff, I couldn't find much wrong with your diddy. I'm really looking forward to see how you do at pound, good luck :)
Why nobodie knows about us? Well we only went to Genesis and now were going to Pound4 :chuckle: and besides that, we werent really interesting in recording matches until we went to Genesis. so thats why there is not much about us. But as you can see, that has change :)

thanks for helping my friend. I think we will be good to go by the time we go to Pound, but every help we can get will be greatly appreciate, we need to be more than ready for Pound:)

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
@the second set of vids yubi posted

1st match I'm not going to comment cuz u were auto-piloting the entire match and it was working, plus you were being careless. That shouldn't work that well

2nd match, same thing. This time I saw a bit more reading but this showed that you need to start working on your DI+momentum cancelling.
Rob's Fsmash=DI up and momentum cancel with bair
Rob's Nair=DI up+to the opposite side from where u were sent flying and momentum cancel with bair or an airdodge>dj. Depends on how low the nair sends you.
Rob's Bair=DI straight up+momentum cancel with bair or airdodge>dj if you didn't DI.

3rd match is the same thing. Both of you are taking hits directly cuz you both are trying to beat out the other's moves. Though I did see more punishing of the other's mistakes. But again, either of you would dominate if instead of running into everything, you think about what move is best to punish the other's.

4th match back to running into everything recklessly. Back to where if you waited, you would've won and done much better. I don't know why it worked, usually snake's nades would destroy a diddy that attacks snake directly so much but iunno, maybe the snake wasn't using nades all that much cuz it was a friendly but... :S

5th match was a perfect representation of what a player will do to you when you're rushing in attacking like a rabid chimp. This was the best match of that set in my opinion, the snake punished your rolls accordingly to where your placement was(I do that to cuz I know people like to roll when they're put into tight spots, it works better in teams though). I'm still iffy about the snake, he could've chosen better move choices in some situations.

6th match was about the same as the 5th, but I liked that you waited in some situations where he was in the air and not running to miss a hit because of a simple airdodge. This was also a more clear example of your rolling problem, you always roll in the same direction, away from the nearest edge. Try OoS things in place of rolling, see how that works.

7th/last match it went back to you running in and attacking mindlessly. Your DI improved as well as what moves you chose to react to your opponent's but, your rolling and carelessness affected you more negatively than your di and move choices affected you positively.

The problems you want to start working on first are not rolling so much and stopping for a moment to think of what moves are best for the next approach because those are what are hurting your game the most in my opinion.

/long post and screwb advice ;O

DUB

Smash Lord
@Yubi

Foreign players ( well not US players ) are really coming out lately. First PR vids I have seen since that Peach and Dedede teamed (Excel? i dont remember the names).

I only watched the matches of You vs. the Snake.

-You died maybe 3-5 times in the matches vs. Snake because you got in boxing matches up close him and got you with a super awesome spotdoge up-tilt or jab up-tilt etc etc. Just get away from him. Not far enough where he will feel safe camping, just out of his tilt range so you don't get killed in jab outs. It's not a good way to go. You need all the extra percent against Snake you can get.

-The d-air techchase grab you used frequently was different and somewhat unique as consistant as you used it.

-Good use of Pivot Grabs. I think its the best AT in the game and you covered some of the Snakes rolls with it pretty good.

- Ledge Hop Instant Throw is win. It will get any character to give you a little breathing room. All you need to do is get back on stage with a yellow one in your hand or between you and your opponent.

-More focus on grouping naners together. This is pretty much a Diddy Commandment. If you can naner lock Snake to the edge and grab release d-tilt, it's going to save you a mess load of damage you would of had to put on him.

All in all, I approve. You should definitely post some vids back in a little while. I would love to see them.

Yubi

Smash Cadet
Thanks everyone for all your great advice. I'm gonna try and apply every single one of 'em. I know I'm gonna be more than ready to Pound 4. Keep posting :-p :-)

bolero

Smash Rookie
I am just looking for an overall critique of my diddy. I am not sure what else i can do to improve my game.

Kira (me) vs X

I'll post more videos when I get some more... This is the only one i have currently.

Thanks guys.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Wayyy to many bad habits there, rolling is obviously the worst one. It's a horrible habit with any character but it affects Diddy very dramatically because you aren't making use of his stage control. When you roll, you lose oppurtunities to pick up your bananas and in return, you lose Diddy's bread and butter. As a Diddy, you MUST be able to get to your bananas because there always be a need for them.

That brings me to another habit, pluck one banana if you are going to use one and pluck another when you want to. It's isn't a good thing to pull two and leave one because people are becoming more and more knowlagable about how their character can use bananas. If you pluck two, make sure you know where that banana is and that you can get to it when need be.

Work on your banana control, you clearly don't know how to use bananas effectively which also leads me to believe that you are new to Diddy or that you didn't make much use out of bananas before. Don't waste a banana by throwing it around aimlessly, There were many times where you got punished (a better Marth would punish a LOT harder) for missing a glide-toss or expirimenting with something that just doesn't work in most cases.

I want you to put more vids on here after reading up on some techs and watching tons of videos of ADHD, greatness, Dekar, ect. The Kongpendium helps a lot with techs and things of that sort.

EDIT: all this stuff will take time to fix and Diddy in general is very hard to use. You aren't a bad player, you're just new. Just don't expect us to fix much because you still need to understand bananas and how they work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom