• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Critique Thread

Arikie

Smash Journeyman
I'm am considering playing Falco http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixyn5usnYt8

I've played him in friendlies every so often but recently I've been thinking about taking him more seriously as a secondary or main for tournaments.

Yes, no, maybe so? dramatic gameplay flaws or a playstyle with potential? or maybe just some quick tips?

The GaW usually doesn't get owned so hard but then I usually don't use falco on him so...:laugh:
and its a friendly.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
vlade try not to approach with shield when against him he seems to be really good at shutting down options when you do so but if you do roll away immediately

try to use more short hop nairs against him since he tends to short hop so much you'll catch him in it a lot and also stop him from short hopping a lot

Also dair his shield A LOT more toon link can't shield grab you if you then follow up with a jab

Sph34r

Smash Journeyman
@Arikie:

First of all, WTF that spike at 0:24 was hilarious.

Anyway,

- Approach less. You're Falco lol. The reason you could be so aggresive was because that G&W simply wasn't very good
- Don't ever do AAA > shine, it sucks. You did it once and he was able to punish you even for that
- More lasers... the times you DID laser were either too soon (both lasers were high) or you did a SHL with the single laser also being too high (and then those SHL happened when he was clearly not going to be hit by them)
- Don't spam spot dodge. If he's spamming spot dodge and you're both next to each other like that, realize that he just spams and rather then dodging again, grab him.
- Know the CG percentage. You can't get another grab on G&W past 36 (I think he can upB before that anyway)
- If he's a body length away from you and you decide to dash grab, do a reverse pivot grab instead

You should post a match where you lose though.

Arikie

Smash Journeyman
@Arikie:

First of all, WTF that spike at 0:24 was hilarious.

Anyway,

- Approach less. You're Falco lol. The reason you could be so aggresive was because that G&W simply wasn't very good
- Don't ever do AAA > shine, it sucks. You did it once and he was able to punish you even for that
- More lasers... the times you DID laser were either too soon (both lasers were high) or you did a SHL with the single laser also being too high (and then those SHL happened when he was clearly not going to be hit by them)
- Don't spam spot dodge. If he's spamming spot dodge and you're both next to each other like that, realize that he just spams and rather then dodging again, grab him.
- Know the CG percentage. You can't get another grab on G&W past 36 (I think he can upB before that anyway)
- If he's a body length away from you and you decide to dash grab, do a reverse pivot grab instead

You should post a match where you lose though.
Ok, I will find a match were I don't do quite so good.
My excuse for not shooting and camping is because I was afraid he would bucket my lasers.

Sph34r

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry about his bucket. Falco's lasers don't make it dangerous (it's the 20% bucket that doesn't kill). In fact, it puts him at a disadvantage because he can't bucket brake when its full.

If he's always trying to predict your laser with a bucket you can mindgame him with empty shorthops then punish with IAP or something else depending on range.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
Arikie try to lessen your spot dodges and also your amount of lasering was fine

I would work a bit on the chain grabs though you shouldn't be missing those

Do you live in California? if so what part?

Arikie

Smash Journeyman
Arikie try to lessen your spot dodges and also your amount of lasering was fine

I would work a bit on the chain grabs though you shouldn't be missing those

Do you live in California? if so what part?
Yes I'm actually from Elkgrove in northern california, although my travel options limit me to TAG monthlies and the occasional other tourney around Sacramento.

EDIT: I have a friendly match with a Marth, it was pretty close but I lost so I will post it as soon as I have time to upload it, probably tomorrow (Thursday)

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
I'm in Lodi, CA during break until New Year's Jan. 1.

That's up by Sacramento as well.
I also main Falco.
Maybe we can get some practice in together?

Edit: By we I mean anyone up here

Denzi

Smash Master
Well I watched the first Kuro vs Ozz vid. Curious as to why Kuro was using first Ftilt hit over single jab.

I don't have much to say to Ozz, but there were some things that he could've done a bit better.

Empty short hop a bit less.
React faster after double Jab.
Pummel a bit at higher %s.
Get your pivot grabs/boost pivot grabs down before you try to use them to that extent.
BPG doesn't work so well after jab or jab (x2). I'd go with Grab, Ftilt, or something like that.
You don't seem to IAP that often.
Phantasm Cancels would help mix up your recovery.
Don't trip into Snake's Utilt :p
Nice use of Dsmash to punish landings.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
here are the rest of my vids

vs trela (i took this set pretty seriously but still didnt play safe enough)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XukJoZRO8n8 (2 matches)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF8Q3jJzkew (2 matches)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__eXEWKk6pc (2 matches)

vs rt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZAIH216p44 (2 matches)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5tv-9jboX4 (2 matches)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asI5G7N6rm4 (1 match)

I'll have actual tournament sets up soon, after the tournament on Jan 2nd

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
Ozz don't dash attack up smash Lucario at lower %s. Even if you hit them, they can punish you. You should use f tilt more in that match up. there's not much lucario can do against it, even if you hit their shield. Lucario probably has the easiest time punishing the full jab combo, so try not to do against him. I like how you use your dash attack and your down throw DACUSes =D

Denzi

Smash Master

swordsaint

Smash Master
I dunno why Jab > Reflector was working... lol

You approached with aerials just a tiny bit too many, most of the time you were safe to do so, but you hit him on shield a lot and got grabbed. Shouldn't really be doing that unless it's a cross-up.

I saw maybe one phantasm cancel, I dunno how good you are at them, but if the reason you only did one was because you're inconsistent with them, you should really learn them, especially if you're gonna phantasm to the stage which you did a fair amount of.

I'd like to see a little more Ftilt up close as well, if you have the room it's better than Jab, imo. Though, on NatP who obviously always fell for the jab>reflector tactic, jabs better, but eh. Just keep it in mind for someone who doesn't get hit by it.

I like how you use Firebird, it made a really nice mixup. :)

Apart from that, all I really have to say is you're pretty good. Though I think you could be a little more patient and you'll get better dramatically.

On the topic of attacking on shield. Your up smash landed on shield one too many times. If the GNW jumped out of shield he could punish you with Fair.

Also, don't get scared of the turtle by rolling away. Move in to it and shield it. You'll be able to grab him or even up smash him before the last hit.

Re-watching it, I think you could do a better job of punishing the bucket. :p

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I dunno why Jab > Reflector was working... lol

You approached with aerials just a tiny bit too many, most of the time you were safe to do so, but you hit him on shield a lot and got grabbed. Shouldn't really be doing that unless it's a cross-up.

I saw maybe one phantasm cancel, I dunno how good you are at them, but if the reason you only did one was because you're inconsistent with them, you should really learn them, especially if you're gonna phantasm to the stage which you did a fair amount of.

I'd like to see a little more Ftilt up close as well, if you have the room it's better than Jab, imo. Though, on NatP who obviously always fell for the jab>reflector tactic, jabs better, but eh. Just keep it in mind for someone who doesn't get hit by it.

I like how you use Firebird, it made a really nice mixup. :)

Apart from that, all I really have to say is you're pretty good. Though I think you could be a little more patient and you'll get better dramatically.

On the topic of attacking on shield. Your up smash landed on shield one too many times. If the GNW jumped out of shield he could punish you with Fair.

Also, don't get scared of the turtle by rolling away. Move in to it and shield it. You'll be able to grab him or even up smash him before the last hit.

Re-watching it, I think you could do a better job of punishing the bucket. :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-LuWbsk6-M#t=0m25s

Second set has been uploaded. ^^

Winners Finals too, but I'm really not playing as well in them, so probably not worth watching for you. :ohwell:

Sexy music hacks are sexy...

swordsaint

Smash Master
They should be fine King Funk, I know a fair whack of the theory, but being from Australia I'm extremely limited to how much better I can get. Not having players that are "leagues" above me to strive to beat. Just a few who are a little better, but can beat on occasion.

Kinda handicapped. =P

*watches*

Edit: Rofled at the last game when he was DK. What was he thinking... lol

Anyway, the only additional thing I can say if oftentimes you lasers right next to him or too close to him.

Once most characters are less than half a stage away from you, you should switch it up to single lasers so if they approach, you have more time to back out of the laser by jumping away or attacking via some other method.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
They should be fine King Funk, I know a fair whack of the theory, but being from Australia I'm extremely limited to how much better I can get. Not having players that are "leagues" above me to strive to beat. Just a few who are a little better, but can beat on occasion.

Kinda handicapped. =P

*watches*

Edit: Rofled at the last game when he was DK. What was he thinking... lol

Anyway, the only additional thing I can say if oftentimes you lasers right next to him or too close to him.

Once most characters are less than half a stage away from you, you should switch it up to single lasers so if they approach, you have more time to back out of the laser by jumping away or attacking via some other method.
He picked DK because he gave up. :chuckle:

But yeah, it's true that I tend to SHDL too close to my opponents.

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
Help vs marth plz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3p2uwDkPcM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTw635CGIfc

at least I managed to beat Bjay ( Top 3 marth in europe)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLGgkL4L9yA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef2nQRv4NBc

they're a bit old but since bjay and leon are both from france I don't have the chance to play them often.

I have here as well my last set vs kaos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjHg6V0a928
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmChVoOgrrY
( plus a match were I went snake because he cped frigate)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1yW3pz76Vk

I think I play this match-up the right way but I still find I can get a lot better so what could I do to beat him next time?

swordsaint

Smash Master
Falcos fine on Frigate. In fact, in my personal opinion, as long as you camp the left side on the part with the no edge, it's a good stage for him. So keep playing Falco there.

I'm watching them all now and I'll let you know what I think.

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
yeah I'll go falco next time there against him. btw that set I banned delfino, but I guess that if I had won 4th match he would have cpd brinstar ( rainbow cruise is banned in Spain).

Which one should I ban? I guess I'll ban Brinstar next time, Falco seems unplayable there xD. But if we face in a french tournament, then RC is allowed there. Which should I ban , brinstar or Rainbow? or just it doesn't matter because I'll lose in both and I gotta change to another char?XD

swordsaint

Smash Master
Banning Delfino...I like this stage for Falco as well, really the only hindrance with this is the edges, and so long as you know your character and can cancel on a whim, which you can, it can sometimes save your life with the water and stage changes. Though again that's my opinion, just not on MK. Then again, it's still better than Brinstar.

I think Brinstar, personally.
Imo RC isn't as bad as it. Brinstars A LOT smaller and so we don't have the room to space and camp the same. And they can come from below the stage a lot. Generally ANY other character can control the stage better than Falco and it's my perma-ban lol. No-one asks me what I ban anymore because it's always Brinstar. (RC is banned here too)

RC can be both good and bad. It's extremely luck based if you use Falco though. And again, against Metaknight you probably won't win. lol, so I dunno. I still don't feel it's an "awful" stage for Falco. Just a bad one. Whereas I think Brinstar is awful.

In the end just do what feels most comfortable for you.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Ok, it may seem like a lot but I wrote them down as I watching it so I could give you the most advice as possible. It's not to say you're a bad player, you could probably pick out more mistakes or bad choices in my Falco, but here's what I see and think.

- Marth -
> Learn the chain grab.
> You have better options from dthrow than just dash attack on Marth. Up smash/buffered Dair are better.
> Don't SHDL so close.
> Capitalize on missed Dolphin Slashes more.
> You can grab (and Up smash OoS I think) after the third strike of Dancing Blade.
> If the Marth is being grounded like they should, SHL is often better. However Bjay personally preferred the air (lol) so SHDL players like him.
> Don't air dodge in to a Marth...Just don't. Lol, it's not pretty. ;(
> In general capitalize better. I saw you try to Nair some big openings you could fit a smash in to.

- Metaknight -
> You'll wanna be using your lasers more intelligently.
> Keep as grounded as possible. You should literally jump as little as possible unless you're following up or doing doing a cross-up. Or lasering, of course.
> Spam Jab and ftilt more.
> Play safer. You seriously don't want MK getting that percent/stock lead. You'll want to be able to force the approach so you can space with ftilt and jab. Not even to kill, don't approach.
> As soon as you have a 20-30% lead. Get out of there and start the camp game now, unless you can follow up for a better lead.
> Use grounded lasers after short hop D/lasers every now and then for a good mix up.
> After an Ftilt at about 60-70%. Spam grounded lasers, possible laser lock set-up.
> Boost pivot grab during the chain grab if when you finish the chain you'll spike him off stage. You want to be able to tech chase MK. One grab will usually lead from 0-70%.
> Don't try and take on a Metaknight on the edge. It's not happening brother. :p

Top Bottom