• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Critique Thread

dainbramage

Smash Journeyman
Honestly the guy you were playing was terribly bad, which makes it somewhat difficult to critique. The start of the first match you were using really obvious approaches, after that you stopped and the other guy completely failed at approaching you. Generally I'd say using nothing but lasers, dash attack and up-smash isn't a great idea but it worked, so... yeah.

Your phantasms were somewhat predictable which you got nabbed for. Against wolf you were fishing for kills massively and let him get a bunch of damage on you first stock. Keep playing as you do early in the stock, just try and freshen your bair with lasers/pummels, then try to get him in a frame trap with lasers or a uair juggle to kill, or else do the usual force him to approach and punish something with a kill move.

Uh, use a walking cg on DDD to avoid tripping?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Honestly the guy you were playing was terribly bad, which makes it somewhat difficult to critique. The start of the first match you were using really obvious approaches, after that you stopped and the other guy completely failed at approaching you. Generally I'd say using nothing but lasers, dash attack and up-smash isn't a great idea but it worked, so... yeah.

Your phantasms were somewhat predictable which you got nabbed for. Against wolf you were fishing for kills massively and let him get a bunch of damage on you first stock. Keep playing as you do early in the stock, just try and freshen your bair with lasers/pummels, then try to get him in a frame trap with lasers or a uair juggle to kill, or else do the usual force him to approach and punish something with a kill move.

Uh, use a walking cg on DDD to avoid tripping?
It's not because he is bad, it's more that he only uses dedede. I do indeed need to work on phatasm recovering, but i miss the ledge sooo many times, I would either phantasm back on the stage and get punished or phantasm under and sd. I do have major trouble getting the kill, I like pummel idea, whats the general rule for pummeling with falco?

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Yumewomiteru

Arrighttt; the D3 matchup isn't as easy as it seems, but NaF doesn't look like he had much experience about Falco, he knew about his recovery options, and adapted to your predictability. That's about it.

Laser, Laser, Laser. ABUSE IT. SPAM IT. ITS THE FUTURE, ACCEPT IT! At least 1/4 - 1/2 of the damage done on a stock should be done to D3 with lasers IMO. It stops basically all his approaches except shield grabs, but space just right, use phantasm wisely, and the game is yours. I suggest keeping back when the D3 is offstage as well, an easy Dedecide for him, or he'll end up gimping you.

Use phantasms cautiously and wisely, your opponent had so many opportunities to punish, but he either.

a) Didn't hold his shield long enough.

b) Was to far away to do anything.

c) Didn't predict what you were gonna do.

You were very predictable, not just with recovery, but with IAPing as well. 3/4 the time he approached, you SHDL/SHL, and then IAP'd. He didn't see the pattern I guess. Also, recovering, you have Firebird, DON'T forget. The D3 usually expected you to do a phantasm/on-stage recovery with it, and waited for it. When coming from under or above, change it up, the D3 won't have enough time to stage spike/see it coming if he's all the way in the middle hoping for a phantasm. Last, don't abuse a rising reflector when jumping/trying to get back onto the stage, the opponent could read it, and

Mm, the D3 had a pretty decent tech-game going on, but you were way to predictable with that as well. You rolled backwards almost immediately after a Dthrow, or if you waited, you usually just used the get-up attack. Gotta change it up bro. Most of the stuff a D3 will do to get a early kill, or just a basic kill, is to get you off stage and proceed to edgeguarding.

Approaching. If your going to approach a D3, try to land BEHIND him, or at least space it so you won't be in grabbing range, and his is actually pretty huge. Best thing to do though, is camp, stay away, and let him approach.

More mindgames. From lasers, to phantasm/IAP, to getting the kill. D3 is very hard to kill, and its hard even landing a kill move on him. At high percents, gatling combo won't always hit unless the opponent DI's wrong, regular dash attack I'd prefer. Use it at low percents, maybe around 50% or less?

I completely forgot about Wolf, so I'll post it here I guess.

Dunno much about this matchup, but don't play campy. He honestly doesn't know how to play the matchup at all, he used his reflector to do damage to you, rather then to reflect lasers. I mean yeah, at low percents, he can get a smash/jab/tilt in with it, but he needs to also use it for other reasons then just that.

We have a 0-death on him, which you did that match since he doesn't know how to tech the spike, you got that down.

Uhh, just avoid his lasers, watch out for well spaced Bairs/Wall of Pain, neutral aerial into another move, and his lagless fair.

I really dunno that matchup, maybe someone else could help you with it? But you need more vids so I could've tried to help a lil more.

Summary:

- Less predictability
- More lasers. Camp, camp, camp!
- Different recovery options (If you know you might miss the ledge with phantasm or afraid, use firebird, makes things so much easier.)
- Learn different mindgames and add more to your game play
- Don't approach D3 unless you want to mix it up, or he doesn't see it coming

I haven't done these in awhile, so I might have said some stuff I didn't realize or was flat out dumb. Ah well, hope it helps! :)

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Wow dude,

Thanks so much for the critique,

I've being working on mixing up my techrolls, umm... I do gatling combos mostly because it's safer on sheilds than a regular dash attack, at least until he figure out the timing to shieldgrab me out of it.

And I do need much work on my camping game, how do you camp efficiently with falco?

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Yeah, gatling racks up at low percentages, but at higher percents the upsmash won't hit. I suggest mixing it up with regular dash attacks, cuz if he reads the gatling and not the regular, yould have time to get away or do a quick move such as Jab.

And I can't type much cuz I'm usin my cell, but its basically letting the opponent apprach you, staying awa with lasers & phantasms, not getting hit and spacing youself and your moves.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Yeah, gatling racks up at low percentages, but at higher percents the upsmash won't hit. I suggest mixing it up with regular dash attacks, cuz if he reads the gatling and not the regular, yould have time to get away or do a quick move such as Jab.

And I can't type much cuz I'm usin my cell, but its basically letting the opponent apprach you, staying awa with lasers & phantasms, not getting hit and spacing youself and your moves.
I'd like to add to this that you can CHARGE the usmash.

The hitbox of dash attack that hits in gatling is actually very weak, and most people airdodge afterwards, punish it with usmash ;)

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Denzi (because I love you <3)

Game1
First thing I noticed was a failed BPG, you shouldn't try ATs you don't control 100%, especially not in a GF. You probably know that, but I'm just seconding it.
I notice your use of grounded lasers, while sometimes an excellent option, most of the times you were using it it is not, try adjusting the timing. It took me a great deal of time too. (hint always go for 1 laser, 2 is more punishable)
If you decide to approach snake (which you will never do) you shouldn't run, dash attack gets beaten and dash grab too, use Ftilt/jab.
Don't roll, lulz (mindgames only)
Nice chaingrab, perfect is ftw. Too bad about the spike. Lucky on the scrub DI from snake there though.
Overall nice grab game, one thing I noticed.
Don't go for the stage so much, one I remember from last time :p
If snake is falling from the air, and you're on the ground, his options are very limited. If he hasn't pulled a nade he can't do ****, if he has he can instantly put up a shield on landing. grab him from the air.
Don't DI with fair.
Fsmash is unsafe on shield

game2
Nice chaingrab, to bad you didn't go for 1 buffered walking for a better spike. Snake made some mistakes so it's all cool.
Lucky kill with some more average DI from the snake.
Watch out with the crouching. If someone crouches or you know he isn't gonna take the air, just go for SHL, doing that extra laser just makes it so much more punishable.
1:50, doing nothing is a great way to score kills, just adjust your timing on using the kill move ;)
3:27, here you could've won would you have used bair.

game3(4)
cant comment, dont know diddy. rest been said

Denzi

Smash Master
Denzi (because I love you <3)

Game1
failed BPG I can do it 100%. GF nervousness ftl. I settle into it a bit later.

grounded lasers Nervousness again.

Don't roll, lulz (mindgames only) Bad habit.

Don't go for the stage so much, one I remember from last time :p Really bad habit.

Don't DI with fair.
Fsmash is unsafe on shield

^More nervousness.

game2

If someone crouches or you know he isn't gonna take the air, just go for SHL, doing that extra laser just makes it so much more punishable. It's easier for me to time SHDLs, so when I get nervous I tend to fall back into what I can do more easily.

1:50, doing nothing is a great way to score kills, just adjust your timing on using the kill move ;) Yeah =/

3:27, here you could've won would you have used bair.

Dang, you're right.
Responses in green. Thanks for the help.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Those habits are what every player goes through, so you shouldn't feel bad for having them.

Nervousness gets to me too, but in worse ways then that. Then again it wasn't 'just' a school tournament when I screwed up xD

BetaZealot

Smash Journeyman
Ok in the first match right off the bat you fail to backflip SHL properly and you get punished.

I'll edit the post later with more stuff if I have time.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
Instead of giving up Falco, you should give up your aggressive play style like I did. Play gayer lol, approach less lol. I've learned that there is little reward for playing aggressive, except boosting a good rep I guess. You even told me yourself at VC that my aggressiveness (drop off ledge lazer bs) was predictable, and it was... it was a habit.

I can imagine you having little experience against Wolf. You have to play really patient while he's in the air using Bair and ****. Of course a player like Atomsk would camp the platforms while he's in CG range. I would just laugh, drink from my water bottle, and relax/spam :) Oh and don't get Shine gimped

ZSS... run away and spam lazers and reflector (to make him hesitant and get shdl *****) while she has armor :)

Shiek... go Ice Climbers :)

erick gm14

Smash Ace
Instead of giving up Falco, you should give up your aggressive play style like I did. Play gayer lol, approach less lol. I've learned that there is little reward for playing aggressive, except boosting a good rep I guess. You even told me yourself at VC that my aggressiveness (drop off ledge lazer bs) was predictable, and it was... it was a habit.

I can imagine you having little experience against Wolf. You have to play really patient while he's in the air using Bair and ****. Of course a player like Atomsk would camp the platforms while he's in CG range. I would just laugh, drink from my water bottle, and relax/spam :) Oh and don't get Shine gimped

ZSS... run away and spam lazers and reflector (to make him hesitant and get shdl *****) while she has armor :)

Shiek... go Ice Climbers :)
wow, didnt expect that outta u bc, lol.. yea, i never take my own advice, i crack under pressure and play stupid. rofl, i should camp harder, u play to win anyways.. good stuff bc :)

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
I'm kind of a new Falco second...so I don't have the best Falco in the world, I was wondering if you wonderful people could help me improve it? <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioP86DusbZ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkGDbwildGA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFQ1UkBmcM4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK0XEvLVJXI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW-Sj5_Ra8o

I know the Snake isn't top notch, but hey =P

Thanks in advanced.

Edit: One thing I already know I need to do is Side B less onto the stage...I did that...a lot.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
SK92 got his name by playing aggresive.
He decided to play more gay too, just gotta play to win I guess.

It might just be me and being used to more but that GaW looked... average.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Some of you probably know me as a MK main from FL but I've been using Falco for a long time. I play a basic smart Falco but Its not really very good up close (I dont have a lot of experience with him). I feel like my ground mix ups could be much cleaner.

vs. Polmex23 (Luigi)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghO1ZgHg-RE - I play really sloppy in this match

vs. Seibrik (Dedede)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc15_wERoAA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU6C0vBTAsI

vs. Seibrik (MK)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=343d17lPHJw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLfGq0g3y64
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB85fhGr3oI

Thanks.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
Some of you probably know me as a MK main from FL but I've been using Falco for a long time. I play a basic smart Falco but Its not really very good up close (I dont have a lot of experience with him). I feel like my ground mix ups could be much cleaner.

vs. Polmex23 (Luigi)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghO1ZgHg-RE - I play really sloppy in this match

vs. Seibrik (Dedede)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc15_wERoAA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU6C0vBTAsI

vs. Seibrik (MK)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=343d17lPHJw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLfGq0g3y64
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB85fhGr3oI

Thanks.
you do play smart o.o

Healer

Smash Apprentice
okay guys I'm a wolf mainer and a falco seconder, I love falco I feel he fits my gameplay styles, unfortunately I don't think i'm going to be a very good wolf mainer and I'm considering switching to falco... okay enough with my life story
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dP_YPOGr7c
I know pretty basic stuff, the only ATs i kno is lazer lock and cg (not the spike combo tho), critique tho thanks.

J4pu

Smash Champion
i don't mean to be a jerk, but you need help in all aspects of falco, so rather than listing them all I'm gunna just tell you to go read the sticky threads and watch some vids of "pro" falcos (DEHF and (old) Sethlon vids would be my preference).

also it probably doesn't help to start off trying to learn falco against somebody when all they do is spam CG, but he really wasn't that good either so iono.

Healer

Smash Apprentice
i don't mean to be a jerk, but you need help in all aspects of falco, so rather than listing them all I'm gunna just tell you to go read the sticky threads and watch some vids of "pro" falcos (DEHF and (old) Sethlon vids would be my preference).

also it probably doesn't help to start off trying to learn falco against somebody when all they do is spam CG, but he really wasn't that good either so iono.
Your not a jerk, I know I'm not good with falco, i'm still learning. Amen to the spam CG, that his whole attack CG CG CG, same with his ICEES, as a falco i CG but not nearly as much as he does (i think he depends on it lolz) sorry. Thanks by the way, I've played with falco for 2 weeks so I'm not really expecting to be awesome, I kno I have a long way to go, my friend says I downb to much, do I? I know i Side b to much, I do know I'm predictable with downb (he sheilds it.)

Healer

Smash Apprentice
PSing (powershining)? how bout for wolf, is shining too laggy?

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
Your not a jerk, I know I'm not good with falco, i'm still learning. Amen to the spam CG, that his whole attack CG CG CG, same with his ICEES, as a falco i CG but not nearly as much as he does (i think he depends on it lolz) sorry. Thanks by the way, I've played with falco for 2 weeks so I'm not really expecting to be awesome, I kno I have a long way to go, my friend says I downb to much, do I? I know i Side b to much, I do know I'm predictable with downb (he sheilds it.)
Q.! i dont depend on a CG. -_____-
i just do it cuz its fun to do.! xD
you know i could winn without itt.
xD

Healer

Smash Apprentice
Q.! i dont depend on a CG. -_____-
i just do it cuz its fun to do.! xD
you know i could winn without itt.
xD
Hahaha, I knew u'd read it thats why i wrote, no, u don't depend on it but u sure use it as means of damage racking, and when ever u go "serious" u start using the CG alot. Okay back on track anyone else have anything to say bout my gameplay.

El Blue

Smash Rookie
sup guys, i just started playing like 2months ago and im really looking for advice to improve, so ima post some videos in the going of this week( hopefully).

Top Bottom