• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Critique Thread

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
It was friendlies at a Smashfest, I didn't go to Pound lol. there is a local tourney this weekend, I may go to it depending on how hyped i get for it this week.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
It was friendlies at a Smashfest, I didn't go to Pound lol. there is a local tourney this weekend, I may go to it depending on how hyped i get for it this week.
Yume the biggest thing i see is you didnt mix up your jabs enough. I think if you had done that you wouldnt have got hit out of jabs so much like u did. That and u didnt know how to avoid a few certain things. Also should master footstooling out of c4. Its easy to learn and well worth it. Just look at esam vs ally. Helped there. That side -B off the stage was sad :(.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsqFSpSpnPI is this your wii? if so what's the name of that song :p

i think i found it not sure....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHx_EvidVoE&feature=related

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Yay for new thread title ideas?

Edit: my idea was ****ty

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
if hes at about the tip of ledge u can wall jump bair or uair through the stage.

lol you were putting in work. Did you make it into bracket?

OH MAHHH GOOOD I LOVE THAT YI. Can u make a mediafire link <3?

quite unfortunate what happened at YI :( i dont like that stage as falco even though its supposedly "alright". Or lylat lawl.
Nice battle against fatal close match.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I need some help: So I have a brawling partner who uses Peach. What techniques should I abuse on the peach? Besides double-lasers of course.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I need some help: So I have a brawling partner who uses Peach. What techniques should I abuse on the peach? Besides double-lasers of course.
I think the real question is, why are you using Falco instead of Marth?

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Some friendlies against a top level Snake, all critiques are welcomed!

Yume (Falco) vs Fatal (Snake)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT4oh8x7Bto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zfpQ81B8Ew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq8RT169zqI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpofjAt384c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsqFSpSpnPI

vs (MK)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHlfdiotCIY

I have nooo idea what to do when Snake is holding jab when I'm at the ledge, i guess phantasm lol.
Learn spacing
Learn to not throw moves out
Learn what moves to use
Eliminate habits/useless crap

and you're set.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
to the guy askign what to do against peach.

a friend of mine gave me some advice a while back, and its always held true for me.

whenever shes in the air, nair her.

Sph34r

Smash Journeyman
For the first match at ~1:39 after the usmash: If he's directly above you like that, don't jump right from below to follow up if he goes high enough to use his dair before you get to him. Like jump slightly diagonally to get out from under the dair range, then use your second jump to bair into him (since if he dair'd it would miss and he probably wouldn't throw out a fair on reaction).

Also, your phantasms when recovering got punished a few too many times, watch out for that. Example: at 4:15, he hit you out of phantasm, which led to the chain of events that eventually led to your last stock being taken (the actual kill also came from a punished ledge phantasm).

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
Thanks for the input, Sph34r, and yes I agree with you regarding recovering withphantasm. Imo most of my punishes were from being too hasty with my followups and by phantasming onstage(When i had meant to phantasm onto the ledge.) I need to get more consistent with sweetspotting the ledge with phantasm.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Thanks for the input, Sph34r, and yes I agree with you regarding recovering withphantasm. Imo most of my punishes were from being too hasty with my followups and by phantasming onstage(When i had meant to phantasm onto the ledge.) I need to get more consistent with sweetspotting the ledge with phantasm.
Also from my experience dont *hunt* for the cg but try to make setups and get better at noticing opportunities. There were times you could of got the grab and against D3 if you play it right thats at the very least 80%

clowsui

Smash Legend
you seriously need to learn how to do everything with your character

cancelling side bs, jab cancelling, buffering in general, basic shield DI, etc

you keep getting hit by the 08 combos (nado -> shuttle loop)

he keeps dashing towards you but you don't punish

you have a habit of throwing out aerials while going up/down when he's nowhere near you

you keep getting in with random rolls and jumps for some reason

idk lol if you had an opponent that was better it'd be so much easier to crit you :/

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
you seriously need to learn how to do everything with your character

cancelling side bs, jab cancelling, buffering in general, basic shield DI, etc

you keep getting hit by the 08 combos (nado -> shuttle loop)

he keeps dashing towards you but you don't punish

you have a habit of throwing out aerials while going up/down when he's nowhere near you

you keep getting in with random rolls and jumps for some reason

idk lol if you had an opponent that was better it'd be so much easier to crit you :/
He places top 10 in Fl tourneys...Fl. He's just a bit over agressive sometimes.

Did you simply watch the first match?We were mostly just playin. How am i suppose to punish dashes? I find it safer to just get away. But i'd like to see what ur thinkin.

They werent random, i did it cuz most of the time i could tell what he was going for.

Yes i need to know how to avoid certain things.

Any messed up side-bs were cuz my controller is ****ed up.

Can you tell me where i was throwing out aerials so i can make note.

I do need to jab cancel more. It just never popped into my head too much.

Buffer would of made a difference where?

Kasper!

Smash Lord
Kuro:falco: vs Sax:metaknight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZlik1jEfx4&feature=feedu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMGMwDQ2D30&feature=feedu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvQrJlwt3OY&feature=feedu

I need to know the worst decisions you think i was making and any glaring problems.

On a side note: Most fullhops/mess ups on the cg were due to my horrendous controller atm.
Game 1 -
you dont like tilts? :(
1) you have this habit of spotdodging when your opponents at low percents
2) sometimes when you jumped into mks shield, i wonder how you got away with it, im guessing cause you thought he would spotdodge?
3) that first stock was going great for ya but after your dthrow to jab then lazer, you got kinda desperate and that resulted in random smashes although i think the dsmash on the first stock was your controller messing up i dunno :/.
4) you lost your 1st and last stock because you got lazy with recovering
5) powershield nado
6) mix up jab game
7) should have been nair instead of bair at 3:17
8) you tend to waste your jump when you get hit up sometimes like jumping then dairing randomly for no reason like at 3:20 and 4:13. Dont limit your options against mk, the more options you have the better. 3:40 was a good example of how you kept your jump and the mk had one more option to think about
were you gonna jump?
were you gonna airdodge?
were you gonna phantasm?
were you gonna fastfall?
etc (although because you jumped and DI ed into him he could have got a shuttle loop)
9) you tend to DI when hit in the air to your opponent hoping for that miracle dair
10) +1 for the lazer to pivot grab into chaingrab i love you.

Game 2 -
1) dont dthrow jab to lazer at chaingrab percents, it almost never works on good opponents
2) dthrow jab to lazer just above chaingrab events e.g like how you did at 0:26 (sick follow up btw i smiled xD)
3) sax wasnt dair camping at all and you got the grab freely at times. Tell sax to stop that
4) dont be scared to punish meta's up b
5) sax is intimidated by you isnt he? spotdodging most of the time you come close
6) nice nado read at the edge

Game 3 -
1) are you trying to compete in a freestyle contest or are you trying to win the match? (YES I KNOW ME OF ALL PEOPLE SAYING THIS LOL)
2) technical errors, work on them e.g. shdls although i feel shsl is better in this matchup as you have the option of switching up if meta reads your jump
3) lol do you see what happens when sax starts dair camping, A WHOLE DIFFERENT BALL GAME BABY!
4) Too much smash spamming when meta knight is at high percents. Trust your tilts sometimes
5) 2:38 if a situation like that occurs look at the ground behind you, if the space is limited you have the option of chasing which you did however if there is alot of space it is best to reset and lazer
6) wtf sax why did you get hit by that fsmash at the end

good luck with the falco rehabilitation training kuro xD

Kasper!

Smash Lord
*ima up date this as i dont wanna lose all ive wrote so far as this laptop cant survive without the charger :(*

I dair you give me some vids to critique then xD

OK onto MR DJ JACK

Against Ryder's :marth:

Game 1 -
1) Ok i see smashville and im expecting to see you stay in the middle of the stage due to marths fthrow x2 dair nonsense *DJ Jack is near the edge and gets grabbed GULP!*. Your lucky he didnt finish you off tbh. Stay in the centre of the stage and try your best to keep him out and predict his approaches
2) His main approach was dashing and then shielding. Grab him
3) I dont know why this marth isnt fairing :(
4) Nice mixups with the jab and grab
5) dair on sheild multiple times is a bad idea in general but you got away with it this time. I guess you were thinking happy feet after that jab grab mixup you did :)
6) This marth would 90% of the time get back on stage with nair. You saw it at 0:27 reacted and punished. Then did it again a sec later, seems he has a habit eh. nice work reading that.
7) At 0:44 you could have gone for an upsmash instead of a tilt but you showed composure instead of recklessly flicking your cstick like other falcos would.
8) 1:39 you got lazy
9) Your recovery was always on stage, mix it up especially against a smart marth player
10) 1:49 see this is what i meant by you thinking happy feet xD. dunno how you got that but nice kill :)
11) 1:57 you learned your lesson from the first stock. Smart thinking by going on the platform.
12) 2:28 you have a full stock lead, dont do something silly that may make that lead slip. Stay patient
13) 2:32 nice tech :)
14) 0:40 *going back abit* missed bdacus? unlucky work on that to make it consistent.

Game 2 -
1) erm ok phantasm at the start straight into a bad position. just focus on getting into the middle until you pass like 10% or so (not too sure on the percentages for this)
2) wow you got a nice lead but your still at low percents meaning that marth can take it back with one throw
3) 0:26 lol see what i mean xD
4) 0:35 yes your on the platform , 0:37 nooooooo why did you come off!
5) 0:40 see it nearly happened again be careful
6) Dont try to over exert yourself just to get a multiple hits of all the time sometimes its better to get a few hits in and then reset.
7) 1:21 could have punished that missed up b abit better
8) seems that after you died and was on your last stock. you decided to let lose or something? cause i didnt see him touch you. Did you activate **** mode?

Game 3 -

1) 0:16 it would be better to stay onstage. You dont wanna mix it up with marth offstage trust me you dont wanna.
2) 0:19 punish all those nair attemps all day baby!
3) 0:27 wow you got a nice lead.
4) 0:30 WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW could have di that better though.
5) 1:22 that was so unnecessary and dangerous be careful man
6) 1:36 nice read
7) were did your last stock go? lol. Stay in the middle at low percents again and could have jumped then illusion cancelled back on but you prob wasted your jump right?

Game 4 -

1)0:08 could have ended so much worse. stay in the middle homie
2) 0:22 unlucky
3) lazer correctly, shdl for when he jumps, shsl for everything else
4) 1:14 nice read you saw him charging his up smash and didnt phantasm like an idiot onto the stage
5) 1:30 could have just carried on with buffered chaingrabs till the edge.
6) 1:46 nice nair read
7) 1:49 nice bair kill but that was sooooooo risky

TBH i think the marth wasnt giving u enough trouble and made silly erros but these are friendlies afterall so watever

Against AB's :wario:

1) awesome name for a wario main
2) 0:15 could have dash grabbed to get him to the ledge
3) keep the lazers coming, remember wario has to come to you
4) nair and bair are good in this matchup. nair for spotdodges and bair for when he fairs if he does
5) 0:23 could have utilted
6) 0:26 dthrow to jab
7) 0:38 nice read
8) 1:09 utilt his dair as it beats/trades with it
9) 1:46 your playing well nice read
10) 2:05 oh noes :(
11) 2:20 could have DI'ed it better
12) 3:11 why didnt he bike?

good shiz you play well in this mu

game 2 -

1) 0:15 nice up throw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7KK7bXJV2c&feature=related
2) 0:30 nice you read where he was gonna fall and punished
3) 0:47 you already used your up smash so just stay back and refresh with lazers
4) 1:01 mistake
5) 1:06 from 52% falcos should be playing cautiously against wario as thats where his chaingrab starts from
6) 1:12 the wind is blowing so just jump backwards and lazer. remember wario has to come to you , let him battle against pictochat.
7) 1:46 nice ftilt spacing xD
8) 2:01 nice read. You look confident in this matchup
9) 2:15 dont let him get his tires back, hes good with them
10) 2:22 - 2:25 nice jab but messed up on the chaingrab to spike which is basic stuff
11) nice game

nice you looked solid in this matchup. Remember about his chaingrab, utilt beats/trades with his dair and look at the timer for fart buildups.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Game 1 -
you dont like tilts? :(
1) you have this habit of spotdodging when your opponents at low percents
2) sometimes when you jumped into mks shield, i wonder how you got away with it, im guessing cause you thought he would spotdodge?
3) that first stock was going great for ya but after your dthrow to jab then lazer, you got kinda desperate and that resulted in random smashes although i think the dsmash on the first stock was your controller messing up i dunno :/.
4) you lost your 1st and last stock because you got lazy with recovering
5) powershield nado
6) mix up jab game
7) should have been nair instead of bair at 3:17
8) you tend to waste your jump when you get hit up sometimes like jumping then dairing randomly for no reason like at 3:20 and 4:13. Dont limit your options against mk, the more options you have the better. 3:40 was a good example of how you kept your jump and the mk had one more option to think about
were you gonna jump?
were you gonna airdodge?
were you gonna phantasm?
were you gonna fastfall?
etc (although because you jumped and DI ed into him he could have got a shuttle loop)
9) you tend to DI when hit in the air to your opponent hoping for that miracle dair
10) +1 for the lazer to pivot grab into chaingrab i love you.

Game 2 -
1) dont dthrow jab to lazer at chaingrab percents, it almost never works on good opponents
2) dthrow jab to lazer just above chaingrab events e.g like how you did at 0:26 (sick follow up btw i smiled xD)
3) sax wasnt dair camping at all and you got the grab freely at times. Tell sax to stop that
4) dont be scared to punish meta's up b
5) sax is intimidated by you isnt he? spotdodging most of the time you come close
6) nice nado read at the edge

Game 3 -
1) are you trying to compete in a freestyle contest or are you trying to win the match? (YES I KNOW ME OF ALL PEOPLE SAYING THIS LOL)
2) technical errors, work on them e.g. shdls although i feel shsl is better in this matchup as you have the option of switching up if meta reads your jump
3) lol do you see what happens when sax starts dair camping, A WHOLE DIFFERENT BALL GAME BABY!
4) Too much smash spamming when meta knight is at high percents. Trust your tilts sometimes
5) 2:38 if a situation like that occurs look at the ground behind you, if the space is limited you have the option of chasing which you did however if there is alot of space it is best to reset and lazer
6) wtf sax why did you get hit by that fsmash at the end

good luck with the falco rehabilitation training kuro xD
Well i've been playing with this guy since melee first came out so we no each other aloooooot...which is why half the stuff i did that worked seemed like it shouldnt. Ima get a match vs som1 completely random(som1 i dont play/havent played much) it'll make for better critique. I agree with the jab mixups/smash spamming. I get too impatient in friendlies. Ya game 3 i told him to play gay cuz he knows the mu well. He just doesnt play too gay in frienlies unless challenged to do so. Lol consider that Dair habit gone. I did it once and got addicted :( Most technical errors were due to controller johns :urg: Wdf does falco rehab training mean?:laugh:

Thx kasper mostly for the specific situations things. I just need to implement more tilts...i just scared cuz they seem unsafe. But ik they generally are...lol im mindgaming myself. Pivotgrab2gud. Thanks for the legit notes. Ill work on jab mixups/tilts more and be back soon :)

Kasper!

Smash Lord
Game 1 - Dark Falco :falco: vs Atomsk :dedede:

1) when DDD dairs aim to hit him the front of DDD with a bair, think of it like lucarios dair, it beats out uair so we have to bait it
2) 0:33 - 0:36 now thats how the matchup is played lol
3) dont get lazy when recovering ddd can punish sometimes with devestating results (cough uptilt cough)
4) 0:54 dont stale your kill moves especially against someone like DDD
5) phantasm got you punished alot , knowing when and where to use it is cruical.
6) 2:24 should have daired instead of the regrab
7) jab is good in this matchup (well when it hits lmao)
8) 3:16 nice avoiding that
9) 3:42 YES YOU GOT THAT GRAB!!
10) 3:46 - 2:49 could have done better there with a dair and some possible aireals for DDD recovery
11) near the end if you noticed everytime you illusioned the ddd baired. You could have took advantage of that by shielding then punishing
12) unlucky :(

Game 2 - Dark Falco :falco: vs Atomsk :dedede:

1) 0:15 could have grabbed
2) 0:20 see what i was talking about last match about the ddd phantasm habit. Take advantage of that
3) 0:57 be careful of recovering man, you got punished again :(
4) 1:17 - 1:19 lol smash spam
5) 2:31 nice you didnt make the mistake by going for another grab at that percentage like the last match
6) nice you followed up well :)
7) you've used multiple kill moves remember to reset and camp.
8) you used 2 many up smashes and it got stale. Then the ddd took advantage and killed you on the same read that youve been falling for since the first game. patience is key
9) 4:14 the DDD knew that you had this bad habit and wanted to bthrow you to make it occur again

Yeah overall just work on that phantasm habit and learn the kill percentages of your kill moves on characters so that you dont stale your kill moves.

Kasper!

Smash Lord
NP kuro just trying to help out my bird brothers xD

falco rehab = something similiar to the hyperbolic time chamber lmao

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
Thanks for the critique Kasper, my Falco is going to be getting an overhaul in defensive game. I'm gonna apply upsmash oos much more, be more careful recovering with phantasm, and short hop single lasers will take place of the double ones.

Kasper!

Smash Lord
Thanks for the critique Kasper, my Falco is going to be getting an overhaul in defensive game. I'm gonna apply upsmash oos much more, be more careful recovering with phantasm, and short hop single lasers will take place of the double ones.
np man and nice ima be looking out for more vids then xD

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
If I got critiques from you guys, I'd get worse.....

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
Ahh good sheee, Kasper. Some of the flaws you pointed out was me just ****ing around in friendlies though (like NOT platform camping against Marth lol) All in all, great critique, though. Thanks very much. I'm glad you liked mah Falco :d

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Ahh good sheee, Kasper. Some of the flaws you pointed out was me just ****ing around in friendlies though (like NOT platform camping against Marth lol) All in all, great critique, though. Thanks very much. I'm glad you liked mah Falco :d
No one likes you or your stupid bird.

But we do like your Great Fairy dubstep. Yes we do.

wh1te5had0w

Smash Journeyman

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
Noticed that there are a few gimps after some lasers you did side b very good, but he caught you and punished you for it over all it was good hope this video gets critiqed!

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Thanks for the feedback, any bit helps.

I noticed I was a little sloppy on getting phantasm closer to the ground when using it, that'll probably change the more I use him.

Choice

Smash Champion
i watched some of it, i think you just gotta play more. it just didnt seem like you were comfortable with the character. go into training mode and just move around with falco side-b canceling from place to place or going across the stage lasering, etc.

don't wait for/expect people to run into your usmash too. i dunno, use it more in reaction to something as opposed to approaching with it sorta.

actually, i would say that for now, just don't bother with lasers and instead focus on developing a solid ground game between jab, ftilt and grabs. especially jab.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
haha, yeah, I think I got a little too Dacus happy. I have to admit part of the reason I was willing to read with it so often is because I play against this person very often.

I can agree, I felt my ground game consisted of a lot of smart dthrow use, but I imagine it could probably be so much better if I diversified and used jabs/ftilt, etc. more.

And thanks!

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
What about me :L
i see you. i think about reviewing your vid i just dont have the motivation.

i will do it later tonight for you.

in the mean time watch some of my stuff vs Snake or what ever mu you might need help with. That way you will have a better idea of the things i might talk about.

Top Bottom