• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Critique Thread

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
Vs the Pit I noticed you sometimes chain grabbed with a dash grab or a pivot grab. Always walking chain grab to avoid tripping.
You use spot dodge alot, which is actually a decent approach since Falco's spotdodge is so good. However, the Pit could have caught on and used his jab combo to beat out your spot dodge spam.
You should bait your opponent to hit your shield more, that way you can punish with a shield grab (or a dash attack if theyre behind you or farther away)
Work on your ledge lasers. You were punished many times for messing it up.

Hope this helps :)

-Cross-

Smash Ace
hmm i see thanks alot guys much appreciated :D

lol im guessing i played the ness match well? oris no one just looking at it :p
Well you won the match. I mean tbh there were moments where I didn't agree with your decisions, but you won the match. I'm also not a good Falco player yet, and I'm not quite sure what the matchup is like vs Ness, so I can't really tell you what exactly you should be doing.

Well, I'll look like an *** if I don't mention stuff I didn't understand so here's a couple things. Your laser game is really inconsistent. I'm not sure you quite understand the weaknesses of lasering, and I'm sure your opponent doesn't quite understands it either because he didn't punish you for your mistakes. Near the beginning of the match, your opponent is standing right next to you, and you decide to SHDL. You don't get punished at all, because your opponent was busy jabbing at nothing, but you were wide open for a hit once that first laser came out. You also don't want to be spamming lasers if Ness is too far away, because then you cannot punish him for absorbing them which happened around 0:20. You should understand that at a certain range SHDL isn't safe, because the opponent can punish you by just dashing in and attacking after they see that first laser. That being said, SH and then silent lasering is much safer, because your opponent can't just rush in, because you could potentially do something instead of laser and punish them.

Throughout the match also you do random Full Jump single lasers. Dunno if these are technical errors, but even if they were on purpose most of the time, I don't see the point of doing it. Like 2:02, after a dair, you do a full hop laser. Even if that laser hits, it doesn't do anything for you, because you can easily get counter attacked by your opponent, since the hitstun isn't that great for one laser, and you'll still be in post lag. 2:38 is another good example of random full hops that don't do anything for you and hurt you instead. It gives too much time for an opponent to run at you, and you should, realizing this, choose a better option then laser, a nair or dair would be better.

Also you were very jump happy against Ness, as in you would just SH at him and do nothing. :25-28, is very good evidence of this. SH and doing nothing, usually means you've made some sort of read and you're trying to bait a defensive action that you're going to punish, but you do nothing to punish your opponent's spot dodge at :25. You do it again at :28, when you clearly don't have a read on your opponent, and you get punished for it. In general, you really don't have anything that beats Ness's fair in terms of horizontal spacing, so I don't know why you're charging into him in the first place.

After watching your match, I get the impression that you're playing mostly on auto-drive. Ironically, being able to condition all your decision making into reflexes is the ideal, but when your decisions are not the ideal choice for the situations you employ them in, it's a very bad thing. Your use of SHDL is a good example of playing on bad auto-drive. SHDL is only really good if your opponent is going to jump, otherwise it leaves you open. Your use of it when it could easily get you punished suggests to me that you don't employ the techniques while understanding their purpose. It's not an easy process, but your going to have to break down your gameplay and understand for yourself what type of options would be better in certain situations. It's a meticulous and boring process, but necessary if you seriously want to get better. You also seem to have decent technical ability, but it's inconsistent at times. So you should practice those more.

In general when asking for a critique, you should post a match where you lost. Asking someone to critique a match you won is kind of like asking, "So I beat this guy, but how do I beat him even better?" It's kind of hard to answer that question lol. Of course there is still much to be learned from a match you won, but it's hard to point out something other than minor details. It's much more effective if you post a match you lost, because then it's much easier to examine what you were doing wrong that eventually led to your losing the match. Just some food for thought. Hope it helps

Xx HanZo xX

Smash Apprentice
Well you won the match. I mean tbh there were moments where I didn't agree with your decisions, but you won the match. I'm also not a good Falco player yet, and I'm not quite sure what the matchup is like vs Ness, so I can't really tell you what exactly you should be doing.

Well, I'll look like an *** if I don't mention stuff I didn't understand so here's a couple things. Your laser game is really inconsistent. I'm not sure you quite understand the weaknesses of lasering, and I'm sure your opponent doesn't quite understands it either because he didn't punish you for your mistakes. Near the beginning of the match, your opponent is standing right next to you, and you decide to SHDL. You don't get punished at all, because your opponent was busy jabbing at nothing, but you were wide open for a hit once that first laser came out. You also don't want to be spamming lasers if Ness is too far away, because then you cannot punish him for absorbing them which happened around 0:20. You should understand that at a certain range SHDL isn't safe, because the opponent can punish you by just dashing in and attacking after they see that first laser. That being said, SH and then silent lasering is much safer, because your opponent can't just rush in, because you could potentially do something instead of laser and punish them.

Throughout the match also you do random Full Jump single lasers. Dunno if these are technical errors, but even if they were on purpose most of the time, I don't see the point of doing it. Like 2:02, after a dair, you do a full hop laser. Even if that laser hits, it doesn't do anything for you, because you can easily get counter attacked by your opponent, since the hitstun isn't that great for one laser, and you'll still be in post lag. 2:38 is another good example of random full hops that don't do anything for you and hurt you instead. It gives too much time for an opponent to run at you, and you should, realizing this, choose a better option then laser, a nair or dair would be better.

Also you were very jump happy against Ness, as in you would just SH at him and do nothing. :25-28, is very good evidence of this. SH and doing nothing, usually means you've made some sort of read and you're trying to bait a defensive action that you're going to punish, but you do nothing to punish your opponent's spot dodge at :25. You do it again at :28, when you clearly don't have a read on your opponent, and you get punished for it. In general, you really don't have anything that beats Ness's fair in terms of horizontal spacing, so I don't know why you're charging into him in the first place.

After watching your match, I get the impression that you're playing mostly on auto-drive. Ironically, being able to condition all your decision making into reflexes is the ideal, but when your decisions are not the ideal choice for the situations you employ them in, it's a very bad thing. Your use of SHDL is a good example of playing on bad auto-drive. SHDL is only really good if your opponent is going to jump, otherwise it leaves you open. Your use of it when it could easily get you punished suggests to me that you don't employ the techniques while understanding their purpose. It's not an easy process, but your going to have to break down your gameplay and understand for yourself what type of options would be better in certain situations. It's a meticulous and boring process, but necessary if you seriously want to get better. You also seem to have decent technical ability, but it's inconsistent at times. So you should practice those more.

In general when asking for a critique, you should post a match where you lost. Asking someone to critique a match you won is kind of like asking, "So I beat this guy, but how do I beat him even better?" It's kind of hard to answer that question lol. Of course there is still much to be learned from a match you won, but it's hard to point out something other than minor details. It's much more effective if you post a match you lost, because then it's much easier to examine what you were doing wrong that eventually led to your losing the match. Just some food for thought. Hope it helps
Ahh i see i see, thanks XD. as for the match being a win. i didnt care whether i won or lost BUT i knew i was doing things wrong. As for reading my opponent, i don't play ness very often and the last time i played my friend Tim's ness was like in 09 (lol johns) but thats my fault. It takes me a while to read the player since yea i agree, i was on auto-pilot lol. Idk how to take myself off of auto very often so i need to work on that

Soo point being. stop playing stupid im guessing? :p and I'll try to post vids of me losing and so on if it helps you guys in helping me. I do appreciate the replies and advice so thanks alot ppl :D

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Dude. Just be more conscientious of what you're doing. Think creatively. One of the most common problems with Falcos these days is that no one is different. I hate it.

You're not thinking about the consequences of your actions. You are doing decently with the natural talent of the character. You need to start capitalizing on your opponent's mistakes and think of the best options possible in situations.

You know what the sad thing is? I didn't even watch the match.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
You're actually pretty good. I actually expected you to win the match, and I know you had the potential to.

4 tips.

- You need better character control. Practice in training mode.
- Stop your momentum. Meaning, stop going in when you don't have to. Chill, take it easy when you're in the lead, etc.
- Less predictable recoveries. A predictable side-b ended the game. And higher leveled players will expect it and punish it much more.
- Learn how to space the chaingrab more effectively haha. You could have spiked him twice. Like, run when you're farther away. And the first time you got the grab you could have gotten more damage on him...

Also the commentator is a douche.

Good luck at Apex brah.

Ignatious

Smash Cadet

Sylarius

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXFBNy0JRzk (vs Snake)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5S05KBF45c (vs Marth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyjuHUS7V2I (vs Diddy)

I've played the game for a while but just recently decided to try to become competitive. Any tips would be appreciated. (please be constructive..)

Also I'm sorry for the quality, all I have is a camcorder. I have no idea how to make better quality videos.
All I have time for tonight is vs Marth. (I play Falco too, ignore my post count and no avatar please .-. )
Ok.
Important guides to read:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=166854
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298220
Moving on.

Below is what I see at what time and my response.

0:14
Don't use grounded lasers unless you're going for the RARE mix-up (I NEVER use grounded lasers in a match) or when your opponent is not approaching you and is just perfect shielding your lasers. The term for this is SHL (Short Hop Laser) or SHDL (Short Hop Double Laser). Basically, it's just a short hop and you fire a laser. This should be in one of the two links above. The reason for doing a short hop is because there's no ending lag to your lasers. There is a lot (well, a fair enough amount to get punished, I've seen a professional Falco lose a stock just because he did one grounded laser. He was at 0%)

0:20
Don't forward aerial as an approach. It and Firebird are Falco's worst moves. The ONLY time you should be using it is when gimping an easily gimped character such as Diddy Kong (when he's recovering vertically with his rocketbarrel boost) and even then I'd prefer not to use it unless you're at a higher percentage. Falco's forward aerial has high ending lag and high landing lag, also it's easy to get out of (usually the opponent doesn't even have to press anything due to the nature of the attack).
Falco's down air is a better attack in those types of scenarios.

0:27 Don't use grounded lasers. x:

0:30 Falco's reflector is a move you don't really want to use offensively, although there is a rare case for it. I don't think I've ever used this in a match myself unless reflecting projectiles, and I have only seen pro Falcos use this 0-2 times. (Usually 0)

0:38 ^

1:14 A run in and upsmash... hmm.

1:27 It's good to see you're SHL/SHDL'ing now.

1:35 Don't use reflector like that. I would have fsmashed you had I been that marth D:

1:48 ^

1:55 Was nice. I would have taunted him because he taunted me but that doesn't matter lol, I have a grudge against taunters

2:09 You can dash out of the dthrow a bit earlier than that. Try testing it out.

2:22 Try to avoid using Firebird. It's easily gimped/edgeguarded. Falco's worst move next to forward aerial. If you're doing the occasional switchup like that, it's fine, but using it instead of Side B is usually a bad idea (unless you're tricking them of course.)

2:24 Don't hold onto the ledge for too long, once your invincibility is out climb back on. A lot of beginners do this and it's a problem when you're playing somebody like Captain Falcon or Meta Knight who will kill you with their recovery if you're holding on too long.

2:43 Nice.

3:30 PatG DI x.x try to avoid that.

Watched the end of the first game. Hm.
Use more jabs. Falco's jab is amazing (comes out in 2 frames, can follow up into a grab, etc.)
I forget the term for it (Instant Aerial Illusion or something) but jumping them IMMEDIATELY side b is faster than grounded side bs and the height you're jumping at. Setting L or R to jump makes this a lot easier to do, and less ending lag is always a pleasure.

Second game now.

4:55 Don't grounded laser. D:

5:38 was dangerous.

6:05 PatG DI. Use Uair or Bair when horizontal momentum canceling and preferably Dair when vertical momentum canceling, it'll come naturally eventually, but don't use fair for it. x:

6:10 Good job for kicking him while he was taunting. xD.

6:12 nice.

6:30 you can dash out of the down throw earlier than that.

6:40 It's recommended to face away from the stage when using Falco's up b (which you should rarely be using at all x: unless you have to like in that situation) because it's easier to land on the stage, apparently he moves in the direction he's facing away from slightly faster then forward, also his legs stick out and might land on the stage. To do this just hold the control stick up and slightly to the left.

6:43 Don't hold onto the ledge once your invincibility runs out. As you can see, it cost you a stock. That was a nice dair by Chris x:

7:00 Don't fair.

7:13 PatG DI

7:27 PatG DI

Overall. Work on your DI because it cost you both games. Don't hold onto the ledge once your invincibility runs out unless the opponent's recovery won't hit you. Use more jabs, read those two links I posted, use less reflectors offensively, Falco's Bair and Jab are his two best attacks, short hop bair or short hop fall a little bit bair works well whether the opponent is behind you or not.

Watch videos of DEHF. He's (highly regarded as) the world's best Falco right now (or at least USA's best.) Try to find recent videos, no earlier than 2010. Apex is starting tomorrow so you can watch some of those as well, DEHF won Apex 2010 for that matter. Another must-watch is Glutonny. DEFINITELY watch him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM5_gaZJDic
Watch the four videos in those money matches. Glutonny is amazing (and very aggressive)

Other Falcos to see:
BluB
SK92
Kasper
Keitaro

I guess that's it. ^^ Best of luck. I'll watch the other two videos NOW. *watches*

Vs Snake:

0:15 Don't grounded laser.

0:18 SHL. Yes. Do that.

0:26 Lasering that close to the opponent isn't a very good idea unless you're doing his laser trap. (I'll explain if you ask)

0:36 You can walking chaingrab Snake. Dashing isn't a relatively good idea because you can trip. (There are SOME characters you have to dash chaingrab but I'm pretty sure Snake isn't one of them)

0:42 You should have kept going forward to the spike instead of retreat spiking, then side B'd back to the stage. Falco jumps the highest in the game (I'm pretty sure.)

0:55 NEVER, EVER, EVER do that again. Never. Or else I will hit you with a pancake. Falco's fair is horrible and you would not have ended the move before you hit the ground. Use his dair or bair! (Nair would work too I guess but I'd rather dair when at that position)

1:01 Good read.

1:20 Uh... I don't even know how Snake's nair killed you like that. =/

1:38 Falco's nair can usually lead into a grab if you land on the ground before it's finished, that way the opponent can't shield it.

1:50 If there's a grenade on the ground like that you'll want to run dair him instead of continuing the chaingrab.

2:10 Don't fair.

2:45 Don't momentum cancel with fair. Use uair or bair when horizontal momentum canceling and dair when vertical momentum canceling. It happens by instinct eventually.

2:49 NO!!! I would have killed you if I was snake! D:

2:52 Why did you roll backwards when you could have upsmashed him? (Or fsmashed as well) He was doing his jab combo on nothing and you could have probably taken a stock off him.

3:07 You should have dair spiked him instead of kept going for the chaingrab.

3:10 I'm sorry to say this, but that must be the most horrible DI I've ever seen in my whole life in a match. That was just... wow... be careful not to coin the term "Iggy DI". There's already "PatG DI". ;_;
Holy. That DI is going to haunt me for nights to come. I'm completely honest.

3:30 Don't fair.

4:11 THAT is the difference between good DI and bad DI. That's pretty much the reason you lost and he won. His DI is good enough to prevent him from dying at that percentages whereas you die because of bad di.

4:30 Bad DI again. You should have kept shielding (I think you would have died regardless of DI'ing that or not anyways.)

Too tired to watch the rest. Maybe later. That's all I have to say so far...

Ignatious

Smash Cadet
I don't EVER mean to fair. Literally each time is an accident. I also watched the first two youtube videos that the smash lab did on DI; DIing and momentum cancelling so I'll be adding that to my game then watching the third and fourth. Does Falco have a B move that stops momentum?

I'll cut down on grounded lasers and the reflector. I do get punished quite a lot.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
I don't EVER mean to fair. Literally each time is an accident. I also watched the first two youtube videos that the smash lab did on DI; DIing and momentum cancelling so I'll be adding that to my game then watching the third and fourth. Does Falco have a B move that stops momentum?
Ahh. Eventually not using fair becomes natural.

For momentum canceling horizontally, you'll want to be using bair or uair, midair jump then bair/uair. It prolongs survivability.

No, he doesn't. x:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Uair -> Fast fall to momentum cancel with Falco.
It ends the fastest out of all his aerials.

Both horizontal/ vertical.

It's how you survive a Fresh Ice Climber Usmash at 160% as Dk on Sv.
Bair -> Fast Fall.

But for Falco you go.. Uair -> Fast Fall.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
Dair automatically fastfalls on frame 1.
Also, the reason you want to use your quickest ending aerial is so you can midair jump or use a B momentum stopping move quicker. Falco doesn't have a B move, so that's why I said uair (some people prefer bair) for horizontal momentum canceling and midair jumping immediately afterwards, but for vertical momentum canceling any will work as long as you fastfall immediately after performing the aerial. Since dair fastfalls on frame 1 automatically, that's why I prefer it next to uair/bair.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
C-Sticks can Initiate a fast fallen aerial.
If Dair fast fell on Frame one automatically, he would die everytime he used it off stage.
Since you push "Down" it initiates the fast fall. But Uair -> Fast fall is better because it's faster.
I'm sorry but, you're wrong on that part.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
C-Sticks can Initiate a fast fallen aerial.
If Dair fast fell on Frame one automatically, he would die everytime he used it off stage.
Since you push "Down" it initiates the fast fall. But Uair -> Fast fall is better because it's faster.
I'm sorry but, you're wrong on that part.
I heard Dair on the cstick fastfalls immediately since you can only fastfall after the aerial begins.
If you hold down halfways on the control stick and press A, it does a non-fastfalled dair, but if you hold it down all the way then it fastfalls, definitely.

That's why dair is used for platform canceling... (auto fastfalls)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBQ0sAg9_4M

I thought I saw someone say that dair is best for vertical momentum cancel, but honestly. How is uair fastfall quicker then dair fastfall? Please explain because I honestly am sure that dair works just as well if not better than uair for vertical momentum canceling.

And, of course he'd die every time he used it offstage. That's why people jump first (because they're moving up when they use the fastfall attack) or only hold the control stick halfway down and press A so that he doesn't auto fastfall.

... The reason people uair is because they midair jump to momentum canceling. You can fastfall immediately after starting the aerial, not after you finish the aerial...

Or so I heard.
Well. I could be wrong I guess, but I'm positive that I'm not... x:

-Cross-

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure for vertical momentum cancel if you don't have a momentum canceling special like G&W's bucket it doesn't matter how quickly your aerial ends, because it's not like any followup action is going to help you live. So for Falco, dair or FF uair really makes no difference, it's just that dair via c-stick is obviously less inputs and thus easier. Now if we had something like G&W's bucket, then FF uair would be ideal, because it ends the quickest and we could the get our momentum canceling special out asap. Sadly, that is not the case.

Edit: Very minor, but Sylarius, the reason why you can platform cancel with dair is because of the downward input that goes along with c-stick down. So the reason you can platform cancel technically isn't fastfalling, although they are the same input. This is also why you are able to platform cancel with any input as long as you hold down on the control stick at the right time, and for characters with laggy dairs, you may want to learn these options, because you could be doing a less laggy move like Marth's fair if you screw up then say Marth's dair.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Halfway or not half way doesn't matter.
There's a frame on which you can fast fall.
If you hold down all the way before you reach that frame, you won't fast fall.
If you press down when you reach it, you will fast fall.

Platform cancelling is simple.
Jump -> Hold down -> Let go when your knees pass through it.
Why people use aerials, I'll never know.

And from my experience..
Uair -> Fast fall.
Works better than.
Dair -> Fast fall. ( Even if you fast fall during it ).

Edit 2: All aerials start on frame one.
All work the same =_=

-Cross-

Smash Ace
PokeMastr you can FF all aerials frame one. Those are the frames in which the hitboxes come out, but that doesn't mean you can't FF before then. Take for example Ganondorf. Dair off the stage, you will start to FF before the active frame on your dair comes out. I'm not quite sure how dair isn't as effective as FF uair in the case of Falco, because how long a move lasts should not matter.

If anything make sure you aren't already holding down on the control stick when you do dair with the c-stick, because when you do that, the FF that the c-stick automatically applies never registers b/c it's overridden by the control stick input. And if you were holding down from DI'ing down the hit, then it won't be counted as a smash input (equivalent to FF) and only as a tilt input for the subsequent frames that you keep it held down. So you would have to return the control stick to neutral and input the c-stick command, or return the control stick to neutral and do a smash input downwards again for it to actually be a FF.

Edit: Oh you edited your post as I posted. :/ Welp there goes 5 minutes of my life.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Oh word. You might be the first then lol that I know of at least. I feel that it's the most limiting option of the 4 available though. No wii mote + nunchuck?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Nope.
Just a Wii Mote sideways.
Only thing I can't do is Dacus/ Gatling Combo/ Sh Uair ( I can, but needs extreme buffering, I can do it 40% of the time).

And I'm not terrible.
I've been on the PR in my region.

SombreroJon

Smash Cadet
Nope.
Just a Wii Mote sideways.
Only thing I can't do is Dacus/ Gatling Combo/ Sh Uair ( I can, but needs extreme buffering, I can do it 40% of the time).

And I'm not terrible.
I've been on the PR in my region.
I don't understand how it's possible to be decent/good with just the wiimote. You have my respect man.

Have you ever considered moving to a GC controller or the classic controller? Your potential HAS to be limited by the fact that you're using a wiimote lol

-Cross-

Smash Ace
I don't understand how it's possible to be decent/good with just the wiimote. You have my respect man.

Have you ever considered moving to a GC controller or the classic controller? Your potential HAS to be limited by the fact that you're using a wiimote lol
^This. I have no doubt that you can be pretty good. But that's as far as you'll go with just a wiimote sideways. I mean if it's a pride thing that you do it, then go ahead. But if you actually want to be a great player, then you shouldn't purposely gimp yourself by literally limiting some of the options you have.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Oh, alright.

Still no.

If you can't understand it.
So be it.

I don't care what you think or say. you don't need the GCC to be good.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Umm lol? I'm not saying you need GCC to be good. You can use wiimote+nunchuck or classic controller too. It's just that, it's literally impossible/unnecessarily difficult to do certain things, like you've noted, such as DACUS, gatling combo, and short hop Uair. Also ideal SDI cannot be achieved with only a D-pad, at least according to the research by the smash lab. I'm just saying that you are literally eliminating certain options simply because they are impossible to perform with the limited control options of just the wiimote. Maybe you can get around not having certain options because of your player skill, but in a funny way, you are actually playing a lower tier Falco imo.

Again, if it's a pride thing, then I understand. If not, I don't understand why you just act like I can't understand when you don't even give a reason. Just sayin' ;)

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Umm lol? I'm not saying you need GCC to be good. You can use wiimote+nunchuck or classic controller too. It's just that, it's literally impossible/unnecessarily difficult to do certain things, like you've noted, such as DACUS, gatling combo, and short hop Uair. Also ideal SDI cannot be achieved with only a D-pad, at least according to the research by the smash lab. I'm just saying that you are literally eliminating certain options simply because they are impossible to perform with the limited control options of just the wiimote. Maybe you can get around not having certain options because of your player skill, but in a funny way, you are actually playing a lower tier Falco imo.

Again, if it's a pride thing, then I understand. If not, I don't understand why you just act like I can't understand when you don't even give a reason. Just sayin' ;)
Not a pride thing.
And yeah, I would love Dacus/ Gatling Combo.
Sorry about acting as if you don't understand, it's been three years using it, almost four.
And I go through "Use a GCC" all the time.
I get it from people a lot, and I'm getting annoyed at it.

I may able able to Dacus fine when I would use the GCC to test things and random gave me Falco in training mode for the Cpu.

I can't really explain why I don't use the GCC, I just don't want to, and refuse to.

Also from a player who always used to play me.

"Because I got so used to your Falco not Dacusing, I keep getting caught off guard by other Falco's who can because I think some things are safe at that distance because you can't Punish with a Dacus".

I'm making things better for you guys, haha.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Oh ok, so you just prefer it then. Well I won't bother you much more on it, if you've alright dealt with it to that extent. I mean to each his own, and if it means I'll get free wins against your friends b/c I get 3 kills from DACUS's then so be it XD. I will definitely give you props, too.

SombreroJon

Smash Cadet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6dnXXj-2xY (Me vs. a bad Olimar)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUFB6j4f_No (Me vs. a bad Pikachu and lolLink)

I don't have much competition in my area, but I'm still looking for things to improve on. It's toughest to improve when you win, so I'm looking for whatever critiques i can get. After watching, I ****ed up the chaingrab twice purely based on knowing it would be recorded (lolme) and I dash attack a lot.

Thanks for the help guys, if there's anything wrong with the video quality I blame the camera :p

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
- Camp More.
- Roll Less.
- Jab More.
- F-Tilt to space.
- Jab x1/2 -> Repeat/ Grab more.
- Phantasm less.
- Jab More.
- Learn Dacus.

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
Alright, got some videos that need critiquing. This was a best of 5 mm which I ended up losing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhdFDwTBZR4 (loss)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwenqas7-D0 (loss)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYo6UaixbPM (win)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnhFX_PgDb0 (win)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqu8dxCCdrI (loss)

Even though I won two matches, I feel I got kinda lucky. I've been practicing a lot, but there is still something about my falco that doesn't seem quite fluent when I watch myself. I don't know if I'm just nervous playing a fast as hell sonic or what. Anyway, help would be appreciated!

Simply match-up specific.
If Sonic does a Dthrow, you can tech in place and punish him for doing that with a jab.

If sonic uses his spring, you do not need to chase him in the air, only try to cover his landing form the ground. He can Dair after the max height of it and receive no ending lag. If he does not do this, he is stuck into falling towards the ground in which he can only air dodge or attack. Space attacks, stay in shield, predict an airdodge or a attack, something to this effect and challenge his landing.

When Sonic uses Uthrow on you, he is either going to try to read what you do and punish your option, or wait and see what you do. Mix up DI your DI, mix-up whether you will attack him or not, or simply 2nd jump away.

You tried getting onto the stage with phantasm far too much. When there were times you could have gone to the ledge or even landed on stage near the ledge, you decided to phantasm deep into the stage and risk getting punished for it. Also, there are many other options Falco has from the ledge to get on stage, you should try mixing it up, but adjusting to what is being punished most often.

A few times you were desperately trying to get a grab... Watch out for that bad habit. Sometimes it can work against people who tend to make mistakes, and other times you'll get into a ton of trouble for doing that.

SombreroJon

Smash Cadet
@pokemastr1

Thanks for the input. I've been trying to be less campy with my friends because it's annoying to play against, and I usually don't roll so much. I'll def. work on getting the crouch cancel on the jab correct though because I'm tired of screwing it up all the time.

@MARLX

The fair was me spamming buttons (lol). I've been trying to incorporate more F-Tilt, retreating lasers, and other good spacing tools... I'm sure I'll get there eventually. Def. need some better players to play though. Thanks for the tips.

Anyone else?

Top Bottom