• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Critique Thread

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Actually, to be honest, F-Tilt helps Falco so much in the Kirby Mu, I started using it more... and it's the best thing to happen since our Chain grab.

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
I didn't say don't use ftilt at all. I just feel like jab is a better option in this matchup. Though re-watching your match, you could probably use ftilt more to stop his short hop bairs. Other than that, I don't really see too many spots where ftilt would be better than jab.

kismet2

Smash Ace
^ that makes sense. i noticed that kirbys like to do a wait n bait with bair in the way that if you try to poke, they'll bair you on reaction unless you have a sword lol.

clowsui

Smash Legend
calvin i swear to god i will get to your critique LOL i've just been busy, i'm sorry

blondie i'll help you with one of those too

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
My critique isn't much, but, I'm watching the match vs Bio.
- You're being overly aggressive at the start, and just rush into him, trying to get a grab as soon as possible.. Which gets you hit.

- You should be camping Zss more, as opposed to trying to rush her down.
- I've been told many many times not to challenge Zss at the edge, but, to punish her get up options instead.

At 3:52, you were at the spacing where doing SHDL/ SHLs were safe, and you just phantasm right into her Side B.

But, yeah.. I feel you're being too aggressive against Zss. You need to play patient against her.
Reflect on reaction, don't throw it out there.
Our reflector reflects on frame 1. You have no reason not to reflect on reaction.

- Side note. Only try to kill Zss with Usmash when she is at kill damages. Not at 104%.
Look here for kill damages. You have about a 5 - 10% Leeway due to their Di not being great.
Anything lower than that, do not attempt to kill.

That's all my critique for now.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Rewatched that video and realized how much ****ing around I did and how useless a critique would be. I'll drop something more relevant after this weekend.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
blondie you're way to hyper, and just always commit to something. practice taking the back seat, baiting out options and reacting to things. being completely natural and calm.

then you can mix up and what you want depending on the situation. but atm you are just to linear

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Yoh Kismet I said I would so here it is :
GF against Reflex, game 1.
Overall I feel you lost that match because you couldn't read the momentum, and went aggro when you clearly shouldn't have.
A good example of that is the first thing in the match : you do a SHDL, Reflex shields it and you dash towards him.
Your first kill was a very good edgeguard, tho I don't know why Reflex tried to challenge the range of your Fsmash with his Fair.
The rest of the match you kept doing SHDL > approach for no good reason, be careful with that.
And again, on your last stock you spent too much time rolling/phantasming towards Wario.

So yeah for that match my advice is that you should've kept track of the momentum and been a little more reactive to how your opponent was handling your camping.

PS : also at that time when you CG'd him on his last stock you could've followed up your spike with a falling sour Bair since it's was like 100% sure he'd use his bike.

kismet2

Smash Ace
yeah with the lead i had aggro wasn't a good decision. optimally, i should camp with lasers/phantasm since falco's really good at playing keep away and only go aggro when the opportunity is given.

EDIT: i forgot to thank you. thankz =D and looking forward to the rest of the set

kismet2

Smash Ace
ok Blondie first game critique vs KoN:

-you should jab more especially against mk. jab allows you to slow down your opponent and make them think twice about what they want to do.
-2:31, in situations like this don't try to side dodge out of bad habit, especially when your opponent is the one who takes the initiative. this is one of those situations where you can jab or if you know that you're opponent is about to shield just go for a grab, just try not to use a defensive option like that as much when your opponent is positioned to punish it.
-practice your lasers more to make them as low as possible, use shl more too. being able to execute a well timed shdl and shl is pretty crucial so you can efficiently slow down your opponent. you are playing against a mk(a pretty short character) but if you can laser well enough you can hit him and it helps alot if that's the case. this is so he can't approach as easily. you also might want to shl more, it's alot better for close quarter combat then shdl because it leaves you open as soon as you fire the first laser.
-at 3:27 you played a little risky. i do the same thing as well but in this situation the opponent was just standing there so they were in a position to punish things like that. just a bad decision at the time but 3:22-3:24 is something that's pretty safe and good. 2:06 was very good as well but he almost got you with a dash attack because you miss with laser.

i'll edit this when i get more critique done and make a summary of the critique so you'll get more general advice rather than situation specific.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Character control will come with getting used to the controller. You're not that bad!

I like the way you were safe with landings and such. Keep it up!

But on top of that...he isn't good.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
First ten minutes into the match you dash grab to try to get the chain grab. Dash grabbing should never be done unless you’re chain grabbing, it has such a slow start up and a lot of cool down, always shield first to make yourself standing grab or boost pivot grab.

At 1:40ish when Snake is in the air you back away and let him land, you should never do this!!! The reason Falco is so good in this match up is that he’s capable of juggling Snake so well and giving him such a hard time landing. You were juggling him well before you did that and could have gotten so much more damage on him. At 1:50 you did the same thing, but I think you just put yourself a little too far away and were intending to do get him.

At 3:35 when you grabbed him you probably would have been better off if you did any other throw except for dthrow. It’s difficult to follow up at the % if the Snake just DIs away, with the other throws Snake will be high in the air or even offstage.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I see it now. I could have reset him back in the air if I ran in to pressure him to air dodge at 1:40/ 1:50 as opposed to running away and giving him a safe Landing.

And at 3:35 I could have B/U-Throw to get him in the air for a Juggle/ frame trap into a ko. I see it now.

More would definitely be appreciated! Thanks!

Vurky

k
NNID
Vurkyzo
Hey guys, please inform me on why I blew it for my team in this crew battle. Thanks!

I'm in at 12:50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pChKRvLTRLI

Maaaay have been just a little bit drunk but I don't feel that it affected my playing to much.
I got a pretty good tip for you that helped me a lot in this matchup. At 16:07 you should have ledgedrop bair'd instead of just getting back on stage. Just press your control stick away from the stage(not down!) and bair.

Here is an example. Watch 1:10-1:21. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=964kiz87VOc

kismet2

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31cYJML6veE

critique my Falco please. Mainly, the first match :D
larry your real problem in the first match was that you didn't use back roll when the situation was looking nasty for you. when bombs are near you just retreat and get some laser zoning in. you also need to work on your laser pressure. try mixing it up between single jab/dash attack/ftilt hit confirms from laser for insane pressure and different pressure like single jabbing after a spaced ftilt. i hope you like this critique <3

EDIT: forgot to mention that you should work on your other hit confirms like from dash attack.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCa83CVYLSQ

I've been doing consistently better and better in this MU, but I still hate it. Critique would be nice. The more in-depth the better.
Try to avoid jumping for double laser so much against Marth especially when they are right out of jab distance. They will likely be able to punish you with fair even after being hit by a laser.

Dash attack can work very well against Marth after they short hop fair since dash attack can hit Marth almost anywhere during short hop. So if you predict a short hope fair you can run up and block the fair to dash attack or dash attack into upsmash by dash attacking then smashing cstick for extra damage.

At low percents I suggest going for dthrow to dair combos which can lead into another dthrow to dair. I do that cause I have trouble buffering dthrows. Also try not to side step so much vs Marth especially if they like to side b. If you just block you can likely punish them afterwards with a dash attack or grab. Double jab also works wonders vs a Marth on the ground since any move Marth does on the ground takes forever.

Lastly try to get Marth in the air more. Fthrowing Marth throws them away from you but a dthrow can leave Marth in a position where they may want to jump afterwards. If you read the jump you can then bair him right after the jump which I find to be key vs Marth. Bair beats out most of their moves and can really mess up a Marth's landing after their second jump. From there you can likely block and grab if they attack your shield on landing or continue to block as they may land into predictable Up B then you can punish.

All in all grabs to dthrow, dash attack punishes, double jabs, and bairs are most of the matchup imo. Try not to double laser so much too. Single laser may be a better option because Marths are always looking to punish Falco when he jumps by fairing him or running in really close where they can shield grab.

kismet2

Smash Ace
yeah shl is really good whenever you're in a neutral position. when you're zoning shdl would be better and it's also good if you think someone is going to jump. good stuff keitaro i'll make sure to write some of this down lol

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Ryker : be simpler and more precise in you edgeguards. Against Marth the most important thing to do is time your edgehog right and never stay if you're out of invincibility frames.
There was a time on your last stock when you should've died (when you were under him offstage) but didn't because Marth tried to spike you instead of side Bing you to death.
But then you made up for that mistake with beautiful walkoff Bair gimp so it's ok.

One last thing I'll stress from the 2 posts above : do not SH when Marth is close to you.

:phone:

Veeonix

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone give me a bit of advice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5xvgfezUgE&feature=plcp

I think I still need to learn a lot of basics with Falco. I'm not so good at spacing and mixups? my play patterns are a bit readable, especially by better players. And when I lose momentum, I have a hard time regaining it (like if I'm juggled, knocked offstage or trying to recover to the stage from the ledge). In any case, I was wondering if you guys could give me any critiques please.

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5xvgfezUgE&feature=plcp

I think I still need to learn a lot of basics with Falco. I'm not so good at spacing and mixups? my play patterns are a bit readable, especially by better players. And when I lose momentum, I have a hard time regaining it (like if I'm juggled, knocked offstage or trying to recover to the stage from the ledge). In any case, I was wondering if you guys could give me any critiques please.
Well you really should put up a video of you losing for a real critique. It's kinda hard to critique when you win. Anyway, from what I saw, you commit way to much. When you short hop and above the opponent and they put up their shield, you always dair it, despite the fact that that is extremely punishable. You also just recklessly approach without thinking. Use lasers more and make the opponent come to you. Your playstyle would be easily exploitable by people who know what they're doing. Use more jab and vary up your jab use. You always went jab 1 -> grab. Try using jab 1 -> jab 2 -> some follow up, either shield, dash attack up smash, roll, or even jab again. You can also use rapid jab, just don't over use it because it's sdi'able. You also spotdodge and roll too much, a problem I have also. If the opponent rolls behind you, don't just automatically spotdodge. Try either turnaround jab, grab, roll away, or footstool to instant phantasm. Your tech skill overall was very consistent and better than many very good falco mains, so that is a plus, but you play way too obvious. Try sitting back for a while and shoot some lasers and see what the opponent is going to do. Also, use ftilt more and upload a video where you don't just wreck some noob.

And were did you get those sounds from? They sound so weird.

Veeonix

Smash Apprentice
I'll try to find some videos of me not winning. This just happens to be the one I uploaded recently. My buddies from Flagstaff come into town every couple of months to play me. They are better, so I generally get beat by them a lot more. I'll try to get some vids the next time they stop in. Then I'll upload and ask for more advice. But in the meantime...

* Sorry about the shield/D-Air thing. You are right. I was doing it too much. It's punishable, definitely. Slightly less if ya land behind them, but still not a good option over-all. I'll try to work with other aerial approaching options.

* My approaching was reckless huh? I guess this goes along up with the first point ya made. Should I use/incorperate more grounded approaches as well? F-Tilt ya mentioned I see. Jab+stuff other than grab could be useful huh?

* My Mixups... always suck, always predictable. I've been having this problem for a while now. I need to get comfortable using Falco's move arsenal, but I guess I'm just not sure when to use the other moves I don't use. From what I've seen, I use U-Air more than many other Falcos. I actually like his U-Air.

* Jab-Twirl and Laser Camping against Pit has always turned out badly for me. SDI into B-Air from Jab-Twirl, and Deflected Lasers from Pit if I'm too far away. I get out-camped. Probably why I was approaching so much. I do Laser more against most other characters though (minus Fox, another Falco, GnW or Pit...).

* Will work on other defensive options than Roll/Dodge. But what other defensive options should I consider? I've just recently been practicing out-of-shield options. Still a bit new to me. I guess that might help some. But I am improving.

* Use more F-Tilt, Jab tricks and Lasers? Roll, Dodge and approach less? Use more thought in approaches and mixups? I hope that sums it up. I hope I'm getting the right message I mean.

The audio is a result of the video quality thing... I wanted a decent quality vid (HD) when I uploaded. Have to run Fraps with Dolphin at 30 FPS. Camtasia speeds up the Video to realtime, but Audio runs in Slow-Mo still. So I use Audacity to double the tempo to correct timing and sync the audio, but has a "rushed" affect. I figured this was better than the audio desyncing.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Playing vs good people is super important and easier to show where your problems are.

In short, the approach options you use is essentially limited to dash attack. So in there depending on what you think your opponents gonna do you need to start involving mixups, especially vs better players.

Either way i think most of your problems extend from the fact, or will extend from the fact that you are not willing to wait for anything. You don't camp and you don't bait. Look at when you juggle people, you just like jump into the air and do moves and hope. Staying under people, setting up landing traps to reset the situation, ect are what you should be doing.

Even if you choose not to wait, having the ability to calmy do so gives you a lot of power, and this separates a lot of good players, from being top IMO.

You also need to chill with just throwing out usmashes like that. Ish is not safe at all, you really have to be smart when you use it. Imo the rule for using usmash for me is, don't do it unless you know it will hit and kill, or you have a definite read for bdacus at mid % from dthrow to build damage.

Otherwise youre staling a kill move falco desperately needs, with no followups and can be punished extremely hard.

Veeonix

Smash Apprentice
* Yeah. I don't have many people better than me in my area. That's unfortunate. From time to time my buddies from out of town drop in to play. So I get all the practice I can when they are passing through.

* I'm going to try to start using Jabs/Tilts with grounded approaches a bit more, and see if that helps some.

* I will try to be a bit more patient. Camping vs Pit with Falco kinda blows. I can try keeping a safe distance for spacing maybe? Enough to still put pressure for them to approach some, but not enough for them to turn on their "it's safe to fire arrows till he approaches" mode? Maybe in that mid-range, I can try to be more patient or something.

* I will try to work on the juggling. I suppose I do just aim my attacks at my opponent, without trying to wait them out much. It wouldn't hurt to try reading an airdodge/Jump/Fastfall if they are above me.

* You may be right on the U-Smash thing. But if feels like such a good grounded move option that I want to use it. And it combos well with many things. B-Dacus out of D-Throw is something that should only happen once per match, anything beyond that is your opponent not making an effort to DI. I understand it can become readable from me using it too much, I'll try to chill on it. It never seems to be too stale to KO when I need/want it to though.

* Any suggestions on those follow-ups? Like, what kinda options did ya have in mind?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL6SJxvpWuo&feature=plcp Hey guys long time since i have been in here, can you guys critique my set vs silly? and i have one against kira that will be uploaded later.
First match :
-Mix your recoveries from the ledge ffs. There must have been 1 time you didn't side b.
-smarten your laser game up. If you SH in order to laser but notice the enemy is too close then don't laser.
-You must know This but you lost that game because you spent your entire third stock going for the kill. Never ever try to force a kill (unless you're using the telu combo).

More later.

:phone:

Top Bottom