• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Video Thread

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
alright, we'll my friends left town again, so there isnt much to practice with.

i know the timing for L-canceling while hitting the shield is different than hitting the character directly. how would you recommend to practice l-canceling on shielding characters, if theres nobody to fight with?

Sanu

Smash Champion
The hitstun when you hit someone when they have a power star is the same as when you hit someone when they are shielding. If you go into training mode and spawn some stars, you can do it with a computer player.

... the only problem is that l-canceling when someone is shielding is completely situational, so just learning the timing in training mode won't be enough. You need BOTH experience and practice.

=0

Matux

Smash Apprentice
You can practise the L-cancel timing with no items but the appearance of the items at very high, only boxes and that stuff will appear without items inside but you can train to l-cancel because they have the same hitlag as a player.

Saiya

Smash Cadet
Dang, FoO... Looks like we didn't get much critique like we'd hoped. =/
Oh well, I still think they were awesome matches! Try posting some of our "good" recent videos. I think some were pretty good, heh.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Few things i noticed:
-Edgeguarding needs more thought: consider your opponent. a CF is very limited when it comes to being edgeguarded. He will most likely have to up-b, meaning that he has to either land somewhere on the stage or sweetspot the ledge (most likely, your particular opponent will land on the stage because he is not very good, but that's beside the matter). Therefore, your most efficient options as Falco are to either edgehog him (sweetspot), wait for him to some slightly above the stage (missed sweetspot), prepare a forward smash (stage landing), or a combination of the above. For example, if u foresee an attempt at a sweet spot, but he goes for a landing, you can edgehop --> bair him to keep him off. See what I mean? I would say, stop only looking for the dair spike when ur opponent is off of the stage.
-Grabbing. Falco does have a grab you know. in fact, for me, it's one of the most hilarious moves in the games. who can beat four grabs in a row from a mindgaming falco? There were so many times when u could have grabbed the CF either after one of his aerials or when he was sheilding, ie. First Vid :18, :40-:41, etc. As falco, u can also use grabbing as an approach, but use sparingly because people can see it coming eventually, but there are alwys mindgames, which create an exception to every rule.
-Spacing. omg u attempted some prettynice things, but many of ur attacks failed because of bad spacing. you threw out so many attacks that even though the CF's approach was just as bad or even worse, he got in a lot of attacks just because you daired the air for like the fifth time in a row. by then, he saw what u were gonna do, and he knew you would miss. i dont personally know how to practice spacing, but you should look at videos of good players and study how they decide where to attack and what to attack with. That way, falco gameplay will naturally start to make more sense to you.
-Punishment. You, sir, didnt get punished nearly as much as you should have for all those missed l-cancels and improperly spaced attacks. But let's flip that coin. Your opponent made just as many if not more mistakes. dont let him get away with that! if he attempts a knee and gets inside ur shield (while ur blocking), grab that mofo! or do a dair or shine out of shield. if he decidss to run 5 miles away just to dash dance, SHL him until he stops being an idiot. ih you know hes gonna attempt a shield grab after u aerial him, do an empty shffl and combo his face open! overall, dont just focus on ur game; focus on his. i would suggest revisiting these videos and looking for any and all openings in ur opponents game where u could have possibly done damage to his percentage due to carelessness on his part.

You tended to cower away when you got inside his area. Ur falco, so he has more to fear (or atleast that's what u should be thinking). i.e. u both tended to roll away when u got close. instead, look for his roll and meet him where he ends up with a good ol' shine or grab.

the dair gimps that the CF got during the second match were stupid. stop charging ur up-b outside the stage where a CF can do that. go under the level and prepare for a tech, or use phantasm or something. ur recovery game was so predictable that a bad CF could edge guard u easily...that's saying something.

*Despite all of this criticism tho, i still dont think ur *that* in need of critique. I give a lot of words because i once posted vids on the boards for advice, and the feedback really helped. mostly, they just prompted me to think more about what i was doing,; they taught me not to do things purely on impulse. Overall, its [almost] easy for me to overlook ur tech skill problems because they will recover and improve with time. But i will say that u need to master ur dair and dair to shine fast fall timing against a sheild or not. any time u do a rising dair or a dair without a fast fall (because u timed it wrong) ur asking for a sheld grab.

**Really, i would like to critique that CF. omg, dude help him out lol. If he's one of ur only smash friends, get him to ask for advice on the CF boards. im horrible with CF myself, so i cant help much. But both of u keep on playing. ur a gleam of hope for the melee fanbase. And dont EVER place Brawl before Melee...EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eggm

Smash Hero
I found it useful to just really concentrate on right before my character hits the ground and hitting L to do l-canceling. That way no matter what I hit or when I hit it as long as i'm concentrating on that space between the ground and my character and react to just before it hit the ground hitting L i can always get l-cancels off.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
You badly need more SHL and pillaring. Your SHL is decent (somewhat slow to tell the truth, perhaps due to delayed ffing). L-canceling seems to be your biggest foe at the moment. I also seem to think you shield too much. Just because you missed an attack doesn't mean he's going to be ready with a knee. Rather, go for a follow up attack. E.g., if you missed a dair and landed in front of him, jab, ftilt, or dtilt.

So: 5/10

And I don't think your semi-lacking tech skill is completely to blame for this. I give you this rating because, in all honesty, I could probably narrowly beat you in a Falco ditto, and I don't even main Falco. This is ONLY because you are playing very predictably. Almost zero mindgames, and even when you do employ mindgames, you usually do not punish your opponent's blunder as effectively as you might.

I WILL say, having not played melee in a year is a valid excuse for rusty tech skill. But that means it should be all the easier to fix. Work on SHing and wavedashing out of the shine. Work on a diversity of edgeguard options but always stay practical!

Btw, lol at failing to kill Falcon off the top twice in a row at 150+%.

Scud

Smash Apprentice
lol wow, you didn't earn that first match, but wow you should have won that 2nd one haha.

First off, it's so easy to edgeguard falcon. All you need is two moves: dsmash and bair.
Falcon actually can't really sweetspot. Infact you can dsmash him even if he can't grab the ledge because he does a flip at the top of his up b and his foot sticks up lol.
I suggest for now just standing next to the legdge, facing away from the ledge. If you can hit with a dsmash, do. If you can't because he is too high then just jump up and bair. You let him get back way too many times. These two things should be a really quick fix.

Spacing, punishing, and move choice. You really need to work on those. Even if you don't have amazing tech skill you should focus on these things. LIke other said, I see you just shielding there when you could be lasering or approaching with something else. I think you should shffl and space some more aerials. Bair has nice range.

If you post some more vids we can critique more :).
Keep it up and have fun playing melee! :)

JrdnS

Smash Ace
falcon has a crap recovery.figure out where hes going to land and dsmash or fsmash or bair him. dont go down for the dair spike. you'll get up bd. and probably kill yourself. work on your shl makesure you can do it correctly everytime. sometimes you messed it up. it good for approaching

peterx

Smash Apprentice
Rate my falco xD ( added some videos vs Raynex )

So yeah , here are like 3 friendlies from last night. I kinda suck here * 3 am johns * + Controller fail johns + the fact that I'm playing a pretty sexy sheik. xD all jokes.

Peterx(falco) vs I.B.(Sheik) Friendlies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJhRhh2l_zA (1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wv79RXor8o (2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GQEjM2EOZk (3)

Stos (Link) vs. Peterx (Falco)
match 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbinv8dIb40
match 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcWJ4lIKovs
match 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBoSiRGY2rY

Peterx (falco) vs Raynex (fox)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUjGFIjzOeM(1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWSGZ-lT6ak (2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zmyjAm0oyA (3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9NlOCbm770 (4)

Best combo/ sex video ever feat raynex
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI3cQiIEKu8

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Very solid Sheik and your Falco is very solid as well. There were some minor messups but nothing that sheik completely rebounded off of.

If anything I did notice a lack of grabs on sheik. In peticular Falco's grab game is nothing essentially great but if placed and used in correct situations Falco's grabs can become a hassle. Also.

Your approach began getting very repetetive and expectant. D-air, shine, approach isn't essentially bad but if used repetetively can become well easy to anticipate. Mix it up a lil more. The sheik player caught on to this and began playing more defensively letting you come to him which usually led to you being put in a bad position or loss of a stock.

It seems both of you play each other alot too *which isn't bad* but both of you were able to anticipate each other's techs because of it. Sheik was reading your tech multiple times.

All in all..

Badass Falco, awesome Sheik fun stuff to watch... Just change up your approach a little more often and even.. lure the sheik to you with lasers or something. Falco isn't initially defensive but against some characters a defensive style is not bad, yet more effective than playing offensive if your opponent can thoroughly read you.

GOOD **** THOUGH BOTH OF YOU!

Binx

Smash Master
Mango won the set, thats why it ends in match 4... common sense people.

Mango your too good, on a side note, Samus seems to be a pretty bad character =)

MaNg0

Smash Hero
nah ganon beats falco

and why are u always

so mean 2 me looool

but if u wanna mm

we can do maybe 50-80 or

something

^_^

we should record me fuking

u up 2

ahhh ****