• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Hong

The Strongest
xD Nah, you just needed another perspective Genolyte. <3
If todays update lowered anyone chances it would be a character who uses a sword and a gun...Claus.
I'm not a Claus fan or anything, but it would only eliminate competition no?

Link: Defensive swordsman with projectiles
Ganondorf: Power swordsman with magical projectiles
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cel-Shaded Link: Dextrous swordsman with projectiles
Takamaru: Balanced swordsman with projectiles
Claus: Nimble swordsman with projectiles

Not saying the bottom three are in, just that they can all offer something different.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
xD Nah, you just needed another perspective Genolyte. <3I'm not a Claus fan or anything, but it would only eliminate competition no?

Link: Defensive swordsman with projectiles
Ganondorf: Power swordsman with magical projectiles
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cel-Shaded Link: Dextrous swordsman with projectiles
Takamaru: Balanced swordsman with projectiles
Claus: Nimble swordsman with projectiles

Not saying the bottom three are in, just that they can all offer something different.
Maybe, Takamaru can use prjectiles?

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
Mischief Makers is awesome.

anyway, this proves that Geno CAN be an AT, but I'm still somewhat confident in him. not only was he requested way more than Saki; but Sakurai actually asked about him more. he IS showing something for the requesting fans, at least.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Geno and anyone else who has a shot like Ridley>More Swordusers

But I would like to see some more females or magic users

Hong

The Strongest
and A samurai that uses fireballs?
Well, we have a plumber with the same? xP

Takamaru seems to have ninjitsu of the sorts. He can walk on water, turn invisible, shoot lightning and all kinds of things. He's really not your average Samurai in any way.

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
Everything said though wasn't an opinion. Geno really does have that low status.

And Geno doesn't have a decent shot, which is why I'm annoyed with this thread. You all can cling to hope, I don't mind that, but the arrogance and blinded certainty in the face of overwhelming odds is what's annoying. The Ridley fans have the right to be arrogantly hopeful, because although he's not confirmed, he's highly likely with no multiple crippling flaws. There's no real evidence that Geno has a better shot than any other one shot third party character.
Actually... there are some flaws in your post. Well for starters, Geno DOES have a decent shot. Why? Well, you tell me, whats the importance of a poll? You're so sure that Ridley has a better chance and yet Geno and Ridley scored the same on the official polls. Also, as I always say, if there is a more deserving third party character than Geno, then that character should have scored as high, if not higher than Geno on the official polls. We don't make the polls up, its solid evidence that Geno is popular. We can't change that fact.

Moving on.. now let me ask you this.. if Square Enix created Geno as a Mario character, to star in a Mario game and to only be a part of Mario games, how does that make him any less deserving than Mega Man or any other third party character? Geno is a Nintendo character with a Square Enix logo. The only thing thats keeping him held back is his copyrights belonging to Square Enix. You do understand that Rare created most of the Donkey Kong games and even though Nintendo completely owns the rights to Donkey Kong etc, they STILL have to credit Rare for their work. It wouldn't be surprising if thats all Nintendo had to do with Geno is just credit Square Enix and be done with it. I mean, what are they going to say? They created Geno for Nintendo and therefore Nintendo should have some rights to do what they want with Geno. You can't just go around and say "here I made this for you, but I want to own it", that wouldn't make any sense. That isn't to be confused with Nintendo owning the rights to Geno, but having partial custody of his rights.

Also, are you aware that Super Mario RPG is coming to the Wii VC? It isn't a "fluke" or a coincidence. Its a popular game and obviously Square Enix is all right with Nintendo releasing it on the VC. So what would make Square Enix say no to Nintendo if they want Geno in Brawl?

I've brought this point up MANY times before, the composer of Super Mario RPG and Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga is a confirmed composer for Brawl. Although her works is simply listed as Kingdom Hearts, it is safe to assume that Sora will not be in Brawl (this is a different argument all together). So if you notice, you don't see a single person that is representing Sonic's music that is confirmed on the composers page, but yet we know there will be a Sonic song.

So between Geno being one of the most requested characters, Sakurai adding random tidbits of information in his journal when he could have easily talked about other characters (this shows he is interested in Geno.. he probably never thought of adding him until now), Super Mario RPG coming to the Wii VC (Sakurai mentioned a small bit about how Kid Icarus is playable on the Wii VC..), the composer of both games that Geno is in is a confirmed artist in Brawl and last but not least, Geno can get by without stealing a third party slot.

So you do the math, are his chances really THAT low? :dizzy:

Burnsro

Smash Cadet
Masahiro Sakurai concerning Saki AT said:
There were many requests from users for his inclusion, and he IS pretty cool, so I did what I could to include him.
If Saki, a character from a Treasure game which is not as well known as Super Mario RPG, was included because he is "pretty cool" and "there were requests from many users" then I have no doubt that Geno will be in the game as either a playable character or AT.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
I can see it now.. Someone grabs the AT and out pops Geno - shooting stars all around himself similar to Meowth's payday in SSB64.

or as a cameo sticker.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
If Saki, a character from a Treasure game which is not as well known as Super Mario RPG, was included because he is "pretty cool" and "there were requests from many users" then I have no doubt that Geno will be in the game as either a playable character or AT.
Actually geno was mentioned in the journal five times and saki wasn't even at all...:laugh: (Basically he will probably be in as a PC.)

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
A large, dark stormy castle with lots of bats.
Happy Thanksgiving, fellow Americans!

Anyway...Lookee here...an obscure but often-requested TECHNICALLY THIRD PARTY character with not a single mention in Sakurai's journal from a game far more unheard of than SMRPG confirmed as an AT.

Anyone else think Geno's chances just jumped a bit? :D

SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
Happy Thanksgiving, fellow Americans!

Anyway...Lookee here...an obscure but often-requested TECHNICALLY THIRD PARTY character with not a single mention in Sakurai's journal from a game far more unheard of than SMRPG confirmed as an AT.

Anyone else think Geno's chances just jumped a bit? :D
YEah dude, this looks good.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Actually... there are some flaws in your post. Well for starters, Geno DOES have a decent shot. Why? Well, you tell me, whats the importance of a poll? You're so sure that Ridley has a better chance and yet Geno and Ridley scored the same on the official polls. Also, as I always say, if there is a more deserving third party character than Geno, then that character should have scored as high, if not higher than Geno on the official polls. We don't make the polls up, its solid evidence that Geno is popular. We can't change that fact.

Moving on.. now let me ask you this.. if Square Enix created Geno as a Mario character, to star in a Mario game and to only be a part of Mario games, how does that make him any less deserving than Mega Man or any other third party character? Geno is a Nintendo character with a Square Enix logo. The only thing thats keeping him held back is his copyrights belonging to Square Enix. You do understand that Rare created most of the Donkey Kong games and even though Nintendo completely owns the rights to Donkey Kong etc, they STILL have to credit Rare for their work. It wouldn't be surprising if thats all Nintendo had to do with Geno is just credit Square Enix and be done with it. I mean, what are they going to say? They created Geno for Nintendo and therefore Nintendo should have some rights to do what they want with Geno. You can't just go around and say "here I made this for you, but I want to own it", that wouldn't make any sense. That isn't to be confused with Nintendo owning the rights to Geno, but having partial custody of his rights.

Also, are you aware that Super Mario RPG is coming to the Wii VC? It isn't a "fluke" or a coincidence. Its a popular game and obviously Square Enix is all right with Nintendo releasing it on the VC. So what would make Square Enix say no to Nintendo if they want Geno in Brawl?

I've brought this point up MANY times before, the composer of Super Mario RPG and Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga is a confirmed composer for Brawl. Although her works is simply listed as Kingdom Hearts, it is safe to assume that Sora will not be in Brawl (this is a different argument all together). So if you notice, you don't see a single person that is representing Sonic's music that is confirmed on the composers page, but yet we know there will be a Sonic song.

So between Geno being one of the most requested characters, Sakurai adding random tidbits of information in his journal when he could have easily talked about other characters (this shows he is interested in Geno.. he probably never thought of adding him until now), Super Mario RPG coming to the Wii VC (Sakurai mentioned a small bit about how Kid Icarus is playable on the Wii VC..), the composer of both games that Geno is in is a confirmed artist in Brawl and last but not least, Geno can get by without stealing a third party slot.

So you do the math, are his chances really THAT low? :dizzy:
That wasn't a poll at all. That was never a poll. We never learned what the poll was. It was just a compelation of requests Sakurai responded to. Not a poll. Heck, where wa Sonic? He didn't show up at all, and he's clearly more requested than Geno.

I don't know what you're trying to say with this next thing, since there are loads of Mario characters who should get that spot more. (And Mario "stared" in that game. Geno was secondary, along with the rest of the party members). Still, what you guess the legal process is, isn't what really happens.

Whenever it does, it does, but it hasn't yet, and there's no word on it at this point.

The composers are nothing to base anything off of. At all. Look at the past music credits, and you'll notice that half the people don't have any past with the song their dealing with.

All those reasons really do amount to nothing in the end, except twisted interpretation. =/

Shadow Star

Smash Apprentice
I can see it now.. Someone grabs the AT and out pops Geno - shooting stars all around himself similar to Meowth's payday in SSB64.

or as a cameo sticker.
I have a horrible fear that Sakurai could actually do something like that. The worst part of all would be the laughing and mocking from the Geno haters. I felt so bad for the Lyn supporters when people started making fun of Lyn being an AT. :( I never want to experience that kind of heartbreak...

Anyway, on a happier note: HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE! :)

I'm most thankful for 2 things:

1) My family
2) Everyone's support of Geno. Because a character as awesome and badass as him deserves all this support and more.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Actually geno was mentioned in the journal five times and saki wasn't even at all...:laugh: (Basically he will probably be in as a PC.)

If anything though, shouldn't that tell you something about just how valid the results of that "poll" were? It shows that that journal really isn't very reflective AT ALL at how many requests Sakurai ACTUALLY got for each character. Saki wasn't mentioned in that journal AT ALL yet Sakurai stated that "many users" requested his inclusion

That should tell everyone right there NOT to trust the results of the number of character mentions on that journal. If the journal couldn't even include ONE mention of Saki despite how Sakurai confirms that tons of people requested Saki, then that journal should not be used as valid evidence for anything.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
If anything though, shouldn't that tell you something about just how valid the results of that "poll" were? It shows that that journal really isn't very reflective AT ALL at how many requests Sakurai ACTUALLY got for each character. Saki wasn't mentioned in that journal AT ALL yet Sakurai stated that "many users" requested his inclusion

That should tell everyone right there NOT to trust the results of the number of character mentions on that journal. If the journal couldn't even include ONE mention of Saki despite how Sakurai confirms that tons of people requested Saki, then that journal should not be used as valid evidence for anything.
King Dedede(5) - CONFIRMED!
Diddy Kong(4) - CONFIRMED!
Geno(4)
Ike(4) - CONFIRMED!
Ridley(4)
Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3)
Krystal(3)
Takamaru(3)
Windwaker Link(3)
Animal Crossing MC(2)
Claus(2)
Demiru(2)
Isaac(2)
Jeff(2)
Kawasima(2)
King K.Rool(2)
Lip(2)
Lucas(2) - CONFIRMED!
Mega Man(2)
Oguma(2)
Ouendan(2)
Sukapon(2)

Notice anything? They only mentioned characters above 2. We don't know how many times they were actually mentioned so I agree that we can't rely on this anymore.

However...

There are characters on that poll that could have had 1 mention but not be high enough to mention.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=71872

Mallow and a lot of other characters are on there so we can't assume anything until the Brawl Poll is released.

Oshiro Akina

Smash Journeyman
I'll admit to today's update worrying me a bit but there is still a part of me that's still clinging to a hope. We all agree that Sakurai is very unpredictable so what if he said that to throw us off? Just a random thought. =/

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace
I have a horrible fear that Sakurai could actually do something like that. The worst part of all would be the laughing and mocking from the Geno haters. I felt so bad for the Lyn supporters when people started making fun of Lyn being an AT. :( I never want to experience that kind of heartbreak...

Anyway, on a happier note: HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE! :)

I'm most thankful for 2 things:

1) My family
2) Everyone's support of Geno. Because a character as awesome and badass as him deserves all this support and more.
Lyn is lol

That ***** AT wasn't even on the poll. It's clear she was only requested just recently upon her japanese import. this reminds me, is it in an English version? I heard it's like Starfox.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Lyn is lol

That ***** AT wasn't even on the poll. It's clear she was only requested just recently upon her japanese import. this reminds me, is it in an English version? I heard it's like Starfox.
Yeah it got released last month on the VC same day Lucas was confirmed. Hey jerk, I like Lyn to be a PC rather than Ick, I mean Ike.

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace
Yeah it got released last month on the VC same day Lucas was confirmed. Hey jerk, I like Lyn to be a PC rather than Ick, I mean Ike.
Hey moron, I don't like japanese only characters for playable characters. I'd rather the star of the first 3-D Fire Emblem than some japanese geisha.

Anyways, Geno really has nothing to worry about.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It doesn't shoot down anyone's chances...if anything, it shows that Sakurai is not interested in certain characters even if they are popular....But Geno DID show that he was BOTH popular AND had Sakurai's interest. So did Claus.

Saki may have been popular (Wasn't Saki Japanese only until VC anyway?) but didn't exactly spark Sakurai's interest...either that, or they couldn't come up with a good moveset for Saki...

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Hey moron, I don't like japanese only characters for playable characters. I'd rather the star of the first 3-D Fire Emblem than some japanese geisha.

Anyways, Geno really has nothing to worry about.
Stupid I was referring to Lyn not Saki and Lyn's game came out in America way before Ike and shes not a *****.

Ohh 3 freaking D. Game and Watch is 2D =p

Anyone who douts Geno's chances just because of todays update needs to look on the previous page of this thread.

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace
Stupid I was referring to Lyn not Saki and Lyn's game came out in America way before Ike and shes not a *****.

Ohh 3 freaking D. Game and Watch is 2D =p

Anyone who douts Geno's chances just because of todays update needs to look on the previous page of this thread.
Hey idiot, Lyn's game isn't even acknowledged as one of the greater FE games. Ike is revolutionary. Game and Watch is a WTF?! character, so if you're desperate enough that they make her a wtf character, well the irony is too hard to describe in words.

Shadow Star

Smash Apprentice
Lyn isn't a japanese only character. Her game (Fire Emblem 7) was released on the GBA a few years ago. Lyn wasn't that important of a character though, but she was pretty cool. I think her attack animations were the most badass in the game. But character-wise, Hector would be a much better PC. Screw sword users, axes are where it's at! :chuckle:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hey idiot, Lyn's game isn't even acknowledged as one of the greater FE games. Ike is revolutionary. Game and Watch is a WTF?! character, so if you're desperate enough that they make her a wtf character, well the irony is too hard to describe in words.
Lyn is NOT Geno, stay on topic.

Anyway, everyone clear your minds of doubt. Saki and Geno had NOTHING to do with eachother

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
A large, dark stormy castle with lots of bats.
Hey, hey, hey, STOP ARGUING! It's NOT THAT BIG A DEAL. LET. IT. GO!

Anyway, getting back on topic, I don't think this new update hurts Geno's chances at all. We already knew Saki was an AT.

And would someone care to explain how this update makes the journal entries obsolete? Obviously, if Sakurai was willing to respond to emails about certain characters that would show more interest in that particular character, right?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ok, if they get Geno in Brawl, what would his moveset and FS be?
It's on the first page.

B moves though

B - Geno Beam
B^ - Geno Boost (or something)
B> - Geno Whirl
BV - Geno Blast

FS - Geno Flash!

Top Bottom