• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the Official MALLOW in SSbb thread

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
How was I being a negative nancy? I never said he sucked, and I gave reasons on why I don't think he should be in Brawl or would be a good character.

Sheesh, I say no to a character idea and I'm called a negative nancy -_-.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
haha, it just seemed like you were puttinghim down..alot.

"Some people say Mallow deserves to be in Brawl as much as Geno does, because they were both made by Square and are both from the same game. That's the dumbest thing I've heard"

:p

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
You cut my qoute a little short of the point...I was saying Geno deserves to be in Brawl more than him, and gave reasons why. I said that in the same post too.

Chaps

Smash Apprentice
You shouldn't say Mallow shouldn't be in it because he was weak in SMRPG, and therefore he will be weak in Brawl - it's not like they transfer over "stats" from the other games they've been in. Jigglypuff and Pikachu are really weak pokemon in their respective games - and Mewtwo is one of the strongest in the Pokemon series. Mallow may have been crappy in SMRPG, but that doesn't mean he's automatically crappy in Brawl (but once again, Geno comes first by far).

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
Chaps said:
You shouldn't say Mallow shouldn't be in it because he was weak in SMRPG, and therefore he will be weak in Brawl - it's not like they transfer over "stats" from the other games they've been in. Jigglypuff and Pikachu are really weak pokemon in their respective games - and Mewtwo is one of the strongest in the Pokemon series. Mallow may have been crappy in SMRPG, but that doesn't mean he's automatically crappy in Brawl (but once again, Geno comes first by far).

exactly. :chuckle: this post made me want Mallow even more. :D

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
So his moves and stats from SMRPG shouldn't be considered?

I don't see HOW Mallow would be good at anything. I just want someone to say what his strength would be, and I meant something that would carry over from that game, not a mechanic that is only used in SSB.

You can't rely solely on B moves alone either.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
Marshigio said:
I don't see HOW Mallow would be good at anything. I just want someone to say what his strength would be, and I meant something that would carry over from that game, not a mechanic that is only used in SSB.

what was so good about half the players on smash in other games? Jiggly? Peach? Falcon?

just because they're bad in a game, or have nothing special, doesn't mean it won't be amazing in SSbb

Chaps

Smash Apprentice
Marshigio said:
So his moves and stats from SMRPG shouldn't be considered?

You can't rely solely on B moves alone either.
Taken into consideration? Definitely. Strictly applied? Hardly.

Honestly Marshigio, I seriously understand where you're coming from when you don't want Mallow in. To me, Mallow is a character that would be "nice to have" in Brawl, not a "MUST MAKE IT IN" kinda guy.

Maybe his strength IS his B-moves. Like anything really, you can't solely rely on Bowser's brute strength, Captain Falcon's speed, et cetera.
Zelda's in brawl, and she's weak in almost every aspect except her B-moves. Mallow could be the same way (I admit though, he'd still be a fairly weak character this way, but I really would like to see another character with generally weak attributes only to be compensated with relatively devastating B-moves).

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Chaps said:
Taken into consideration? Definitely. Strictly applied? Hardly.

Honestly Marshigio, I seriously understand where you're coming from when you don't want Mallow in. To me, Mallow is a character that would be "nice to have" in Brawl, not a "MUST MAKE IT IN" kinda guy.

Maybe his strength IS his B-moves. Like anything really, you can't solely rely on Bowser's brute strength, Captain Falcon's speed, et cetera.
Zelda's in brawl, and she's weak in almost every aspect except her B-moves. Mallow could be the same way (I admit though, he'd still be a fairly weak character this way, but I really would like to see another character with generally weak attributes only to be compensated with relatively devastating B-moves).
Exactly, my friend. That's pretty much what I've been trying to get across, but I didn't know how to put it in words.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
There are many more worthy characters over him, and better magic users too. He doesn't have the best personality and he is just a boring character.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
I don't know, but I think Geno doesn't have much more personality, look how wanted he is, like other posters have said, he doesn't have to be exactly like he was in smrpg, besides he can strecth can't he? Won't that give him distance to hit further away enemies?

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
True, true. Geno was a big help in SMRPG though, as Mallow wasn't, but then again it's my opinion. It's also pretty hard to beat Culex with Mallow on your team. Geno is an interesting, unique character. His fists can go further than Mallow's though, being able to fly off and hit an enemy. Now we're just getting into a discussion on who should be in SSBB more though.

Of course it's my opinion MenacingMike, I didn't say it was fact. I don't see why/how Mallow has earned a spot over some other magic users popular here and in Japan though. For example, the FF characters who are 3rd party and FE characters too. Those games have a bunch of magic users who seem more likely than Mallow.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Geez, what is it with the Geno remarks? Now you are just making me sound like I absolutely hate Mallow and only hate him because I think if he gets in, Geno won't. I wouldn't worry about something that's not going to happen.

He's not going to get in over Geno, seeing as how Geno has a larger fanbase and he hasn't appeared in a game for about 10 years it seems like he's forgotten.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
And how long was it before Pit appeared in another game? I think it was about 16 years. How long was it for the Ice Climbers before SSBM? I'm pretty sure people know he won't be in before Geno, but you make it sound like he won't get in at all. I think his chance would be some where around 50/50, maybe less.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Pit made cameos throughout the years, so Nintendo didn't forget him.

As for Ice Climbers, they remade their game on the GBA.

I'm saying I don't want him to be in Brawl, is that so terrible? I know he has a chance to get in Brawl and I'm saying I think I don't think he will be. I think his chances are lower than 50% and are about 25%.

I want other characters to be in Brawl before Mallow and I think they have a better chance to appear too.

GenG

Smash Lord
I won't be scrapping the Mallow idea so soon. He is a character with potential, and what's that idea about giving him crappy melee moves? Samus has never used his body to attack apart from speed running and the screw attack and she has a very good close range game. See Jigglypuff, Peach or Yoshi.
Really, if Sakurai wants to, he could make Mallow a good character without taking in consideration how good was in his game. If he were searching that, Mewtwo should be the best character of Melee (he can lift entire buildings using psychic powers OMG), but he is being argued as one of the worst characters.

And Mallow is more interesting, in terms of moveset, that those Mario generic characters: Waluigi, Daisy, Toad, Petey Piranha...

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
Iggy K said:
And how long was it before Pit appeared in another game? I think it was about 16 years. How long was it for the Ice Climbers before SSBM? I'm pretty sure people know he won't be in before Geno, but you make it sound like he won't get in at all. I think his chance would be some where around 50/50, maybe less.

exactly my point!!!

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Yes, but you skipped my point.

Of course Mallow is more deserving than the average Mario suggestion, but who said any of those suggestions were good to begin with?(other than Geno who deserves it more than Mallow)

There are characters from other franchises who deserve to be in more than Mallow, and if they all get in there like they deserve to, there won't be room for Mallow. He does stand a chance though, seeing as how Nintendo will bring in just about any character they want.

I'll name a few examples, Geno, King DeDeDe, Ridley, Sonic, Samurai Goroh, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, Vaati, Sigurd, and Krystal. That's already 10 characters that people want in more than Mallow, and there are some other characters people would want over Mallow.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
I dpn't really agree with Paula, Lucas I think has a better chance, but I guess you're right, but I can hope for Mallow, but long as the original 12 are still there and they have Toad, Balloon Fighter, Geno and Diddy, I guess I'd be satisfied (I think I'm asking for a lot, but i say those are the realistic characters that I think have a very very likely chance)

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
I'll replace Paula with Vaati from the LoZ series. So many more characters deserve the spot over Mallow.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
I think everyone knows that, that doesn't mean I still don't want him, I'd rather him than Geno (Hope this doesn't start an argument, I just like Mallow better)

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
I'm not going to start an argument about that, but it's inevitable someone is going to.

Anyway, I was just saying his chances seem pretty low, definetly not 50% because the characters I named have a 50% chance and have larger fanbases than he does.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
Marshigio said:
I'm not going to start an argument about that, but it's inevitable someone is going to.

Anyway, I was just saying his chances seem pretty low, definetly not 50% because the characters I named have a 50% chance and have larger fanbases than he does.
well, i still think mallow has a reasonable chance to be put into SMRPG. and i know that his chances are lower than other characters, we can sitll hope :lick:

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
c.falcon 58 said:
he was so cool in mario rpg
Yeah like that time he cried when he lost a coin...
Or that time he cried when he found out he wasn't a tadpole...
Errr....he wasn't cool in SMRPG after all.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Marshigio said:
Yeah like that time he cried when he lost a coin...
Or that time he cried when he found out he wasn't a tadpole...
Errr....he wasn't cool in SMRPG after all.
But when he cried, it would rain. And I don't care what you say - control over the weather IS very cool.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Marshigio said:
Psssh...Why would I want to be a marshmallow when I can be Marshigio?

I mean, Mallow is such an idiot. This is how he acted when he lost a coin.

Yeah, control over the weather is REAL cool

and this is how he acted when he found out he wasn't a tadpole.

Give it a second for the song to start

Don't be silly guys, Mallow sucks, and people who suck don't deserve to be in Brawl.
Dude, you're no fun. Just cuz Mallow's sensitive dosen't make him an EMO-tard... Infact, the purpose of his two (yeah - just two) "Emo" moments were to more or less parody the melodrama all too prevelent in RPGs. SMRPG was one of the first that didn't take itself seriously - and that is just one of the reasons why its now a classic...

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
What's your point? I see no reason to add him to Brawl, he's silly sure, but a lot of other characters in Brawl are like that too. Except they aren't annoying when they do it.

I have to admit though, Mallow did make me laugh when he tripped on the barrels when him and Mario were trying to get to Geno to help him fight Bowyer early in the game. He made me laugh a couple times, but still doesn't deserve a spot over a lot of other characters.

Top Bottom