• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
dekar, you need to respect the back air of kirby more, it really isn't something you can beat facing towards him.

You picked up how to space better against him later in the match (contrast your first stock to your second stock, the first was absolutely terrible, the second was quite good smart play/spacing), so some personal study of that would prob help you.

Also can't you mash out of kirbycides? :|
lol. You got trolled :)

Dekar173

Justice Man
I was talking about how awful a move it was another one of the days, so I just started laughing when he ***** me with it, and wasn't really mashing out all that hard XD

But yes, kirbycides are able to be mashed out of, especially at such low percents ><

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Instead of trying to fair Kirby who's in the air, go for rar back airs, a much safer hitbox thats easier to outrange him with, and then you can start chains on him with fair.

Marth headheightish (and slightly higher) kirby will win all aerial encounters, or at best trade, but getting him that slightly higher where he can't just bair you during your jump start up is a lot easier.

V

Smash Ace
I don't have the greatest mk but even I would punish a lot of the stuff he missed.

:phone:

V

Smash Ace
Now how exciting would the marth boards be if we all had the same personality?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well of course I'm going to stick to Diddy
Awww. that's really sad...
Your marth is very very good.

Probably the second best Marth I've seen in terms of technical prowess (your pivot work and fluidity of platform cancels are very good). Generally very good spacing, good mix ups, good reads.

Your edge guarding and recovering stinks though. You could work on the dair auto cancelling and you make some really obvious bad choices from time to time (mostly in edge guarding/recovering).

Player-3

Smash Hero
wtf dekar

that sheik airdodged after EVERY fthrow

-___-

how do you miss those punishes he didnt even TRY to mix it up

edit:

EVERY THROW, but you only used other throws like...3 itmes

V

Smash Ace
I should've quoted that before shaya edited it. Most epic smashboards post evarrr

clowsui

Smash Legend
nike you're jumping too much w/out paying attention to the space between you and sonic. sonic MU is a lot about respecting his few tools (speed, specials) and how they open up his mixups - if you increase your spatial awareness while fighting sonic then you'll find that it's easier to beat him/fight him.

when you jump you are creating options for yourself but keep in mind that it's easier for him to break those options than it is for you to try and react to his dash shield, dash attack or even just variations in his specials. walk more. you're much more willing to give up space to sonic than you were before - which is really good - but you're not giving up space effectively. does that make sense? let's set a time to talk on AIM if not

that was from g3

watching g1...wtf why didn't you play like this the whole time

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Well, it's difficult to critique, since you don't really seem to have a firm grasp of how Marth works just yet. I'll give you a few general tips, then you'll likely want to read through some of the guides in our stickied thread, and watch videos of other Marths to help you begin to feel out a good style.

First, you fair like it's 2008. Most competent opponents (especially MKs) are going to wreck you if all you do is short hop double fair towards them.

Learn to love Nair, and bair. Learn to retreat your aerials when appropriate, and watch videos to learn when players safely commit to approaches vs. retreating. A well-placed nair, when retreated, is an excellent trap set-up that leads into tipper f-smash if they try to grab you. It works far more often than it probably should.

If you commit to a single move too much, you'll have difficulty killing. Try to rotate moves, and when you can get small punishes, use Dancing Blade to refresh your moveset quickly.

Learn to walk, this isn't melee. Marth's walk is extremely fast, and you have many more options while using it. For one, you can use your entire moveset. You're also not limited by his dash startup animation, which is fairly lengthy.

Make sure you watch Nike's video on RCO lag, and understand how to avoid it. The important thing to know is that after you grab the edge with Dolphin Slash, you carry significant landing lag that activates the next time you hit the ground. It's usually dealt with by auto-canceling an aerial for much less penalty lag.

Honestly, it'll be best just to watch, read, and learn. It's hard to critique absolute beginners, as (in my opinion) the primary focus of this thread is to help people eliminate specific habits and patterns that others can recognize, but the player themselves can't.

Like Nike using too much fair, and me using too much Dancing Blade. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom