• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.J.

Smash Master
For the record: I'm terrible at the Diddy MU when I play it. I know what to do and stuff, but just blank out when I'm actually mid-match. I'm good at teaching the MU though!

If you want help, IM me on AIM: nobody0045

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
First off, I use to Main Meta, but with all the talk about banning and whatnot, I am trying different characters.

Here is a video: Me vs. Dekar...

The beatdown is awful and some of you may throw up.

anyways please tell me how I can win this.

OH MY GOD...
Dekar is easily the fanciest diddy i've seen.

Napos

Smash Ace
yeah I believe one of the most technical for sure, glad he is coming outta NM

Anyways thanks guys, I'll have to look at some Did vs. Mar battles as well

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey guys, I entered a Brawl tournament last weekend and finally got around to uploading the videos today. It'd be pretty cool to see what everyone else thinks I should work on/metagame things I am unaware of haha.

I have 3 sets I'd like to put here but if people just want to watch one video or whatever then I'm totally okay with that haha.

vs Michaelis(DK): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCMGc2k1CJs&feature=channel_video_title

vs Stingers(Diddy/MK): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKNF_pOO_Oo&feature=channel_video_title

vs DRN(ZSS): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K348znU8jE&feature=channel_video_title (games 1 and 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiSIoxh4-GU&feature=channel_video_title (game 3)

My set with DRN I felt my main problem was that I just wanted to hit him too badly(especially for the kill when I died first) so I played his game instead of trying to get him to commit to something he would hope I'd run into or overextend himself. Also really dumb up-Bs lol.

vs Stingers I just don't know much about diddy because that character got way better since I quit LOL. Any advice about that set or the matchup in general would be appreciated, but I already decided walk up banana grab is great(when Diddy is shielding with another) as well as SH airdodge banana catch to stuff.

vs Michaelis I dunno I just don't ever fight DK but I like the matchup lol.

Thanks in advance for the advice! =)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
your spacing is out of practice, but otherwise you seem to be reasonably up to date in terms of option usage. Some of your actions were a little slow too.

Still, very solid Marth.

Can talk in more depth probably sometime during next week if I can be reminded.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
@Gunblade

what are you goals in the start of a match? dash dancing randomly?
What pressure are you trying to exert?

You're going for dash grabs too much.
Charged up smash does more damage than charged dsmash.

Think about your landings. MK's will more than 2/3rd of the time punish your landings
with a grounded move. Remember this.
Ledges, footstools, db1 stalls, etc. Play smarter.

@0.57 you grab the ledge and jump on stage to nair him WAY off the stage. Really dumb. No reason to over extend when you're vulnerable with triple jump glitch.

Shortly after you air dodge straight above MK near a ledge.
really bad habit.
@1.08 =- learn dolphin slash regrab.

Nice repositioning after Anti Suicides his first stock, but rushing to the ledge and then giving yourself triple jump glitch above 100% when his invincibility is over.... was very dumb.

You keep trying to land on stage within mk's range... it's frustrating to watch.

You need to work on yoru spot dodging a bit, it seems often done too premptively.
Your dashing is both good and bad, need to fine tune it a lot so it becomes less of a liability for you.

You need to be more patient when you're on the ledge.
You need to practice grab releases a lot lot.
Nice dair spike in the second match out of an fthrow :D
Learn to counter 'effectively' to punish MK's tornado (usually requires a b-reversal as to throw off their spacing so they don't just retreat it and punish you)

Some examples of bad dashes are 6.10, 6.30-6.40

Need to work on your reaction speed a bit, its probably because you're against a much better player in a hard match up that you were nervousish? Your reaction speed for a lot of things were really off.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
vs MK:[/url]

Please help me! I really want to improve myself in these matchups...
you rising fair a lot in wrong situations (so rising fair less lol)
-> now you're rising nair/bair later mks to short for that **** oos like that
double jump to soon to recover better people will gimp you
don't do that awkward sliding **** when you dash it's not even good with marth lol
you drop free grabs. grabbing mk is gay... sometimes you opt to choose awkward options instead like rising fair oos. but like you get a free fair from the grab anyway

your reaction time oos is subpar. if you know your options ahead of time it should help though
your spacing either tends to also wiff or overextend so try and focus on it

Gike

Smash Cadet
you rising fair a lot in wrong situations (so rising fair less lol)
-> now you're rising nair/bair later mks to short for that **** oos like that
double jump to soon to recover better people will gimp you
don't do that awkward sliding **** when you dash it's not even good with marth lol
you drop free grabs. grabbing mk is gay... sometimes you opt to choose awkward options instead like rising fair oos. but like you get a free fair from the grab anyway

your reaction time oos is subpar. if you know your options ahead of time it should help though
your spacing either tends to also wiff or overextend so try and focus on it
Thank you Orion!
I will keep that in mind and post new matches as soon as i think that i have improved.

I also need help against snake.. it would be awesome if someone could critique that match too.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Thank you Orion!
I will keep that in mind and post new matches as soon as i think that i have improved.

I also need help against snake.. it would be awesome if someone could critique that match too.
Match starts out and you get a free tipper fsmash if you stutter step, and you chose just to go for some sideB **** idk. lol

you keep going for it any it's not working lol. stop hard commiting to dashing when you throw snake up, you get an advantage everytime you throw snake and then you give it away. snake has to land, you don't have to do anything, so just pick smart options and react when he commits.

I.E. if he airdodges you can dtilt/sideb/grab
or if he tries to to bair since you just waited and walked to the proper spacing to react you can just shield and then dboos or grab or w/e

when you're juggling snake you full hop or commit to a double jump to early. you have to learn what your reaction time allows you to space at but you need to stay under him and cover options // play smarter. even if it hits him if you get some full hop nair when he's on the platform your followups or more limited than say if you got a shuair.

yeah you always dash after your throws. just walk unless you have the reaction/read
you always go for db1->grab
this is bad because
a) risk reward vs snake for that **** is awful (so regardless of the rest this is the point)
b) you don't know your grab range so it keeps wiffing
c) your followups from grabs aren't effecient anyway.

it's like. you will get 9% or some **** from the db1/grab and if you wiff he gets over double that XD

don't double jump back onto the stage so much... go for the ledge and then practice your options from it so you are comfortable there. (pretty sure i said something similar for mk )

if you airdodge you tend to do it way to early, try and be more fluent and do it at the last possible second.

i dont think i need to tell you, you started playing really scared at the end...

imo. like at this level the best thing you could do is just. play computer snakes for like 10-15 minutes a day. itll get your followups, especially from grabs to mean something because it's like not even worth it for you to grab right now lmao. also, dthrow > backthrow it's a better angle although it ****ing looks cool after that pivot grab XD

BluLink77

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! I've been ignoring Brawl for too long and encountering more and more Brawl players, so I'd thought I'd join in the fun.

I played Link all my Melee life, and thought that a change in scenery was in order, so I chose Marth.

My problem is I am brand new to Brawl and new to Marth, so I don't really know where to start. I read a bit on Marth and am getting information in pieces from the guys in my college's gameroom.

My next-door neighbor has played Brawl competitively a bit, so I had him play a couple of matches with me.

If you would be so kind as to give them a look? Offer some ideas on where to go with my Marth or give me an idea how to improve?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O33z1pqOqQk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzDNuRNpy9c

BTW: I am really proud of these replays. I stored the replays on my Wii then emulated and recorded them using my laptop to get 720! They look awesome :D

Anyway, thanks in advance! You guys rule!

Prince Nero

Smash Cadet
Hey guys! I've been ignoring Brawl for too long and encountering more and more Brawl players, so I'd thought I'd join in the fun.

I played Link all my Melee life, and thought that a change in scenery was in order, so I chose Marth.

My problem is I am brand new to Brawl and new to Marth, so I don't really know where to start. I read a bit on Marth and am getting information in pieces from the guys in my college's gameroom.

My next-door neighbor has played Brawl competitively a bit, so I had him play a couple of matches with me.

If you would be so kind as to give them a look? Offer some ideas on where to go with my Marth or give me an idea how to improve?

BTW: I am really proud of these replays. I stored the replays on my Wii then emulated and recorded them using my laptop to get 720! They look awesome :D

First off AMAZING QUALITY o.o

ok im not that good at rating but you seem pretty ok just work on some things
like that counter.You shouldnt use it as much because it can get predictable and not getting a counter your opponent can probably punish you with a grab.I suggest using counter as more of a last resort you should use it when you know theirs no way you can shield/dodge and attack.Also marth is a pretty offensive character so its pretty good to get in your opponents face (well most) when your fighting snakes the key is to keep him in the air snakes aerial game is bad which is one of those things marth excels at :D . Another thing is the use dancing blade (foward special)1.foward hit is used the most because of its knockback,Down hit is good to use if your opponent has a small sheild the green hit will basically poke at their sheild for a potential sheild break to the top hit , is pretty good it can kill at high damage and can also be used for a possible juggle.You should use dancing blade very often you just have to find a right time to use each hit (red hit,greenhit,blue hit). Dancing blade its one of things that is essential for marth be sure to use it OFTEN!!!. I also noticed you would use down smash i suggest you shouldnt use it much because it has some lag which is also punishable once again im not that good at giving advice but I hoped i have been some help to you. ;)

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman

Marth is all about the spacing, if you can't space his moves correctly, you're gonna get punished very often, like you did against that snake player. Spacing requires practice, you need to work on hitting those aerials on the tip of marth's blade so get a feel for what that's like. ok first major thing, you need to learn how to DI/momentum cancel. Since you've played melee, im gonna assume you know what DI is. momentum cancelling is using an aerial to basically like stop your movement. you want to use the aerial with the shortest duration, not the one that comes out fastest. That would be marth's forward air, not his air dodge. so when you're hit hard, spam f-air on your way back. the way you died on your last stock was b/c you lost forward momentum, hitting a f-air would have gotten you back. second, do not dancing blade starting in the air. as fancy as it may look, it's useless. too punishable and risky and besides, you might not get all the hits in. Lastly, learn to walk with Marth. I know you went for the spikes but you dashed into his f-tilt and nades and whatever way too much. Marth's dash to shield is slow, but he has one of the fastest walks in the game, and you shield much faster if you walk. walking also helps your spacing so your not rushing your aerials or dancing blade.

On a more MU related basis, snake's tilts are broken, esp. his f-tilt, so stop running into it. as i mentioned before, walk, and space your f-air. and don't short hop f-air, if you misspace your mistime it, he'll punish you with one of those broken tilts. full hop attacks should be safe. You were doing much better near the end if you noticed you were using more full hop f-air and u-air, that's correct. Personally, i find FF n-air very good in this MU, for it has longer range and keeps you from being hit from the shield-dropped nades if you space correctly. second snake is most vulnerable in the air; if you hit him up, juggle him, make it hard for him reach the stage again. and don't go for spikes off his second jump. risk vs benefit is too high on the risk side, instead, try to force him to use his cypher very low, THEN you can spike him from his cypher, which is 100 times easier to do lol
and that's just a few tips against snake and few tips for marth in general. I'm not as familiar with the Bowser MU so maybe somebody else can help you out with that. Hope I helped and keep practicing, you've got a good foundation.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if a critique is possible given that my Marth is pretty inconsistent.
I suppose what I'm hoping to learn is where I clearly had my opponent used to a pattern, and could have switched to a different tactic in order to take advantage of the conditioning. Especially sought out is any opportunities in the match where I could have punished OOS without DS.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DanDaManProductions#p/a/u/1/hSOL1X3xKEY

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
Inle, yeah, your marth is pretty inconsistent, you have some good uses for DS and counter but you don't read, that's the main problem, you received 3 landing giant punches in the set, 2 in the same battle and 1 took you one win.

At the beginning your ledge game was very good, but at the second match you hurried too much and got read so try to calm down when you're losing and improve your reads over your opponent.

So Nike, first match, you started horrible, I guess you can tell by yourself, your first life was a gift for prime, second life you did quite good, and got a lot of momentum, good punishing on pika's up-b and in the end , you could come back but miss spaced pika's thunder jolt, maybe an AD or an aerial would have saved you.

Second match, very good start, nice reads and the momentum was clearly by your side, second life, nice punishing, did some good juggling, but you did a move that k prime could have severely punished, he QACd into the moving platform and then you jumped into him, that could have lead into a significant punishment or even a stock loss, nice finish tipper but it appears to be luck xd.

Third match, even start, fast paced, and you should have punished pika's side-b with a fox trot stutter step f-smash 'cause that up-smash was very slow xd, that DS into the stage at 117 was the worst idea ever, specially against k prime who was playing reactively. Second life, just outplayed, k primer got a lot on reads on you and then you just miss timed your ledge attack. Last stock, took you some work to kill k prime, then on his second life you just ***** him (why the **** you don't play like that most of the time) and then he rushed a lot of up-smashes so it was a matter of time to make a mistake and get killed.

For an overall critique, you DId up a lot of attacks, well that's a great mistake because it set ups for pika's juggling, the only attacks you need to DI up are F-smash, Nair and D-smash, attacks that he don't used that much.

hope it helps

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I think I found the reason you're free vs MK.

Your ground game needs a lot of working. Spacing/Option wise obviously but also positioning. You constantly jump into ranges that aren't to safe to often. Empty sh less, and from a better range/angle. You keep allowing pika to get into your zone for no reason. There's almost no walking either.

Look at the matches like half the time you where hit it's because you jumped into that ****.

also i ragequit out for Kprime ending of game 2. ****ing marth AHTHANEHJADEARIOTHANDGKS

Last game was hype.
Also. When you get scared you're going to lose and then you try and play safe, but your safe play is not adequate enough. Learn to do it both ways from the start then you can do whatever you want homie

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
you need to improve your zoning, then reads and mindgames, do less risky options and improve your reaction.

If you're going to use grab releases, then learn the timing for fair and dair so you can get a kill when you have the chance.

you can counter, DS, DB and F-smash a tornado, so don't fall on it again.
be patient on the ledge, marth has limited options, especially against mk so think carefully.
also, you need to improve your aerial game and juggling, use more DB to punish and get used to marth moveset, to use better options in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom