• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Michigan Brawl Power Rankings: Season 11 Images Up!

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Tutu Im curious...tell me who you think fits me. Blaine is not my favorite but I think his style fits me. Plus Im the grandpa of the scene.

And everyone's should be in english anyway. Im fine with Blaine..I think he fits me really well.

:phone:

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Tutu Im curious...tell me who you think fits me. Blaine is not my favorite but I think his style fits me. Plus Im the grandpa of the scene.

And everyone's should be in english anyway. Im fine with Blaine..I think he fits me really well.

:phone:
Brock . I'll keep you as blaine if you'd like.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Because you should actually read this.

Double post because Thugz and Roller (Brian) are incompetent.

he just called me because him and roller are drunk and got lost on East Stadium blvd and baldwin ave. That's less than 2 miles from the campus.

Please don't let those to go anywhere unchaperoned , k thanx.

Thugz-"Why didn't you got to college with me"
Rob-"Because I already did that"
Thugz-"Oh, well I'm a moron and and idiot".

Thugz-"oh, and then where do I go"
Rob-"Keep going"
Thugz-"To where"
Rob-"Just keep going"
Thugz-"My feet hurt"
Rob-"God you are pathetic".

Good ****, Gio, that girl sounds hot, Thugz is way jealous.

The last 5 minutes of this phone convo has been about how good Gio is at getting girls and how much Thugz wishes he could bone him.

They don't even know where East University Ave is from Packard.

Also, Sailor princess, I love Sailor Moon, but Pokemon is garbage and just a sad excuse for a marketing machine/RPG. It's for 12 year olds like Thugz. I'm 25, I was too old to get brainwashed, FF7 did a better job.

Also, Roller just left Thugz and he might die, that would be crappy because I'd have to hear him scream on the phone.

Wrong, he passed out on a corner for a few minutes because he can't handle his alcohol.

Brian, is walking too fast for Thugz.

20 minute phone call, jesus christ.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
That's why I said it brainwashed me. A lot of people that are in my generation and played FF7 were majorly influenced by the game in means of philosophical reasoning. A lot of people that care about environmental issues or have eastern pseudo religious values played FF7. When you are younger games like that impact you more than replaying them as an adult.

FFT>FF9>FF5>FF7, but if we are talking purely story, FF9>FF7>FFT>FF6.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Sailor you must have only played Castlevania 64 or hate on SOTN for doing Super Metroid better.

2D Castlevania:
-A legacy of excellent soundtracks.
-Superb game play.
-Really good level design, especially in regards to enemy placement.
-Post NES games have incredibly tight control (in lieu of the really restrictive older versions)
-Roidvania versions of the series all have excellent replay value and big, expansive lands for you to explore.

Pokemon:
-Easy
-The music is only good if you got brainwashed
-LoL @ the story
-Boring battle system
-Lame collecting motif (the FF8 card game is more rewarding, 100 tornado on strength!)

If you are playing an RPG and the music sucks and the story sucks and it's generic before the genre unfolded, it's a bad game.

Also, to reclairfy, in order to qualify as one of those people I spoke of who were influenced by FF7, you must have actually played FF7 to be a person I speak of, for those who would love to tear that poorly worded paragraph apart.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Saying things like that on online forums is pointless. That's even more filler than this post here. Make your opinion known instead of just "Nope, your wrong and stupid". I gave you some thoughts, you give nothing to disprove what I said. You would have failed debate.

That's a problem with people these days, no one is willing to test their minds to explain their feelings and communicate what you are trying to emote.

Read books. Ask questions. Evolve.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I would argue that Pokémon's battle system has far more depth because it is designed for two players on even ground, while the basis of nearly every Final Fantasy game is single player. Single player RPGs are never fair.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
See, there's someone using words to explain their thoughts with sound logic! I now have respect for your opinion regardless if I agree with you or not!

But I would say this: My argument wasn't about FF vs Pokemon, it is Castlevania vs Pokemon, did you really pay attention to what I said? However, I will touch on this. Battle System is one of pokemons quality parts, but you can't compare the VS mode portion if you want to judge FF vs Pokemon, you have to use the 1 player mode, because the fun of the game depends on if you have good players to play against, much like smash. I find that junctioning materia so I can walk into a battle and **** without pushing single button is more strategic than planning on using my water based pokemon after I beat his electric monster. I find abusing the limit break against the Omega Weapon to be more tech skill filled than spending endless hours trying to complete your collection of worthless beasts, some that you have to do stupid, menial tasks to evolve. If you want to include FFT in this discussion, that game requires planning rounds ahead of time, especially if you want to beat one of the tribes of 20 monks. FF has better music/graphics/story/dungeons. In an RPG, you want a good Story, Battle Engine, epic music and intriguing dungeon layouts, in that order. Pokemon only has the silver medal imo, music is debatable.

Point at hand.

If you look at platformers the most important thing about them are interesting and well done punishing level design, smooth controls and replay value which castlevania owns on, especially after NES in regards to controls. Castlevania 3 has multiple paths and multiple characters to replay the game with, so games including and after C3 qualify here. The music is a bonus.

I enjoyed Earthbound a lot, btw, and I find that if you want to argue that I don't like pokemon because it isn't emo enough and I can't just have fun with a game without any serious, hard hitting issues in the plot, well, you're right most of the time, but Pokemon's light hearted attitude isn't presented well enough to warrant me playing through it again.

Furthermore, my name isn't castlerobvania, I'm not a fanboy of Castlevania in the least bit, but you should show it some credit, especially if you want to call me out for not showing pokemon respect, a game series that has hindered the gaming world more than helped it, but still hard to ignore the (negative) impact the game has had on the gaming world.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I would go on to argue that 5th gen's storyline (and possibly 4th, though I wouldn't really know) is far from being as light-hearted as you might be claiming.

It's hard to argue graphics when most of the Final Fantasy games are pushing graphical artistry on current-gen consoles and Pokémon is designed to be a portable game.

It's absolutely unfair to compare the focus of the Final Fantasy games to what's essentially a drawn out tutorial for Pokémon - do you determine which fighter game is better by how good their CPUs are?

Also, based on a lot of your "examples" of Pokémon, I'd go as far as to say you didn't go past RBY, and are just going ahead and putting the first generation against the middle of the Final Fantasy series onward.

As far as hindering the gaming world... wait, what? You're gonna have to explain that one.

I'm not arguing with you MRM. A fool will never accept that he is a fool, because if a fool was capable of doing so then he would not be a fool.

At the end of the argument all we will accomplish is that I think you are a fool and you think pokemon is bad, which is where we are now, I'm not a big fan of wasting time.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Good thoughts
I did not make it past yellow, but I have been subjected to speed runs of the later games before. Not past the GBA versions, however. I assume then the subject matter became less campy?

So...you are saying that Pokemon's 1 player game is only a tutorial? Glad I quit wasting my time on those. And I do judge games based on how smart the CPU's are, or how difficult they decide to make the enemies. Hell, in fighters MK's CPU's are really bad because they cheat, SF's CPU's quit cheating after SF2. Killer Instinct is a game I know from my IRL friends that the CPU cheating made them lose interest

...I fail to follow your logic in your statement there and how it involves anything that I said because the fact remains you can't judge 2P games against 1P games, maybe I don't see the connection between our ideas on this one.

However, FFT (remakes/Advance/hacks) does have a VS mode, and I can say from personal experience that it takes about a billion times more skill than pokemon. I've watched GameGenie play good players in Pokemon, and it's all just a guessing game.

And Final Fantasy II is one of the most difficult games I've ever played and has some of the best designs both aesthetically and HOLY **** THIS GAME IS ****ING HARD AND PUNISHES YOU :( kind of dungeons that I enjoy. But I am from the Dragon Warrior clan, so I'm a bit morbid on what I'm looking for in an RPG. (in regards to comparing gen1/2 pokemon vs gen 1 FF).

Pokemon dumbed down gaming and made Nintendo lose focus on quality gaming series such as Zelda and Mario, which sorry OOT/Mario64 fanboys, was a step behind Links Awakening/LTTP and Yoshi's Island imo. Series such as Tony Hawk, GTA 3, Halo, Madden (though I'm a fan of the PS2 versions) and Fallout all changed the industry by becoming the standard for their respective genre by being the most bland vanilla thing that was so easily accessable instantly that every single company wanted to copy it. Fallout especially pisses me off because all the good story lines in RPG's are in the FPSRPG's and I dislike FPS's.

Bad job trying to play internet tough guy
You are very close minded.

Also, why did Thugz decide to call ME, someone from Nebraska, for directions in Michigan?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Actually, Pokémon is one of the last remaining Nintendo franchise games that retains a competitive audience, and recognizes such. As far as I know, Pokémon is the only game that Nintendo actually holds official tournaments for. Its battle engine keeps receiving changes that add to the depth rather than detract - in the move from RBY to GSC alone, they split Special into Special Attack and Special Defense, and as the games went on, Nintendo continued to add mechanics, like special hold items (the Choice items and Life Orb remain very powerful offensive selections that involve quite a bit of pre-planning and accepted sacrifice), Effort Values, abilities, and in the DPP generation, an actual per-attack definition of physical or special (previously, attacks were physical or special depending on their typing).

None of these changes tell me "dumbed down gaming" and actually run quite contrary to what I'd come to expect of Nintendo.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
They may have made pokemon a better more intelligent franchise, but have you played a good mario or zelda (or metroid or kirby) lately? Them improving a bad series like pokemon just thrives my anger more.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
They may have made pokemon a better more intelligent franchise, but have you played a good mario or zelda (or metroid or kirby) lately? Them improving a bad series like pokemon just thrives my anger more.
What???

Would you like to blame SF4AE's imbalance issues on Capcom making the Mega Man series, while you're at it?

Also, Mario Galaxy 2 and Kirby's Epic Yarn were both quite good (though the latter quite underappreciated). I have reasonably high hopes for Skyward Sword.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
No, I would blame those bad games for them not focusing on a new mega man game. or rather them cancelling MML3, which is fine, those games are kinda bad anwyay. Focus on 2D X9 or 11 or a new Zero game.

and to be fair, I didn't play epic yarn but I heard it was good.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Bowyer actually was. I took myself off it because of the GSS thing and Bowyer was seen as the actual HM. A new image was never made though and everyone in MI already knew so I didn't bother to update it. Like if it came to something serious like seeding for an OoS tournament I would explained the situation as such. This season I feel like I earned it. I made myself really focus and get better and kept in mind my goal to get ranked legitimately Season 3. Season 2's rankings now reflect that change as well if you look at the past rankings.

Top Bottom