• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ninja Spike Thread (Last Update: 11/12/09) Potential PS1 Tech Discoved.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hmmm... so I managed to do this in a draft crews match, but not able to recreate it since, but I managed to get the Uthrow stagespike on Snake on PS1, though he was saved by a grenade that blew up as we came down and knocked him back upwards after he stagespiked.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Hmmm... so I managed to do this in a draft crews match, but not able to recreate it since, but I managed to get the Uthrow stagespike on Snake on PS1, though he was saved by a grenade that blew up as we came down and knocked him back upwards after he stagespiked.
I'm beginning to believe that this can be done on everyone, but that people can also DI into the edge, which I think happened here.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Could be... **** that grenade! It cost me that stock!

(PS1 is the most awesomely awesome stage ever. I just wanted to put that out there.)

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I think that this move is legitimate enough to name something other than up-throw stage spike. (besides, its a mouthful). Anyone second the motion or have ideas?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I think that this move is legitimate enough to name something other than up-throw stage spike. (besides, its a mouthful). Anyone second the motion or have ideas?
I think you're just looking for something more colorful to call it. If you want to give it a name, call it the "Ninja Spike" because it's the throw from Ninja Kirby and it Stage Spikes.

I should have mentioned that I tested this out on Rainbow Cruise with Lucario (both bow and aft) and it didn't work.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
I think you're just looking for something more colorful to call it. If you want to give it a name, call it the "Ninja Spike" because it's the throw from Ninja Kirby and it Stage Spikes.

I should have mentioned that I tested this out on Rainbow Cruise with Lucario (both bow and aft) and it didn't work.
Ninja Spike it is.

Also, can we have a vid of mario being stagespiked on the falcon flyer?

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
BlazingKatakiri said he would get to it by Friday. By then I'll be back home and working on finding more characters that can be Ninja Spiked (awesome name) without requiring the opponent to do anything.

I think you're just looking for something more colorful to call it.
And you delivered. Rock on.

Edit: I've added a "few" more to the list for Lylat. I'll be sending the replays to BlazingKatakiri tomorrow. (thanks again, BlazingKatakiri!).

Lylat:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
DK
Diddy
Yoshi
Wario (a bit strange)
Link
Zelda
Ganon
Tink
Samus
Pit
Kirby (o.O)
MK (this one is also strange)
DDD
Olimar
Fox
Falco
Wolf
C Falcon
Pikachu
Squirtle (again, strange)
Ivy
Charizard
Marth
Ike
GAW
Snake
Sonic

That's... a lot of names... lol!
The strange ones are because you can't ninja-spike them right next to the edge. You need to move in a bit. The rounder you are, the harder it is to spike you. That being said, I think that this proves that it CAN be done to anyone, we just need to figure out how to do it. As for the ones not on the list, I couldn't do them. I didn't try very hard, though (this can get a bit tedious after a while...). I am sure now that everyone can be ninja-spiked (thanks for the awsome name, t!MmY!), I just don't know how to for the moment. :ohwell:

I can't test out DI and the like by myself, so that's out for me. Any volunteers?

A1lion835

Smash Champion
It can be done to everyone. Here's my theory:

You know how kirby moves back whenever he uthrows? Well, I suspect that he also does when he's on the edge, but crashes into an "invisible floor" directly level with the edge, which makes it look like he doesn't move back.

Now, any character can accidentally DI into the edge at this point, Ninja Spiking them, but only a few characters have some strange aspect about them that makes it so they hit the edge without DI'ing into it.

Also, the Character Stage Stage format is dead, as I don't wanna post all of these characters for lylat >.>

Edit: Meh, screw it. *keeps Character Stage Stage format*

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Stages that might have potential for this that havent' been mentioned yet are...
Pokemon Stadium 2
75m
Pictochat (On specific transformations.)
Green Green's (The blocks may help make this possible)
Yoshi Island Melee (With the blocks and the center pit of the stage)
Rainbow Cruise (Certain areas)
Hanenbow
Rumble Falls
The Summit (When the Cloud appears over a platform)
Wario Ware

These are just some guesses. Havent done testing yet.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Well, I've made the front page prettier, but I have some characters twice (I made new characters for the massive Lylat list, forgetting that some were already on the list for other stages).

Also, I tested this on ZSS on Skyworld, New Pork City and Spear Pillar, all of which were successful. I just need to register Katakiri as a wii friend (and he me) and I can send them to him.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Wait, how would PS2 work for this anyway? It doesn't seem like the ledge is the right shape for it to work...

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Kirby moves backwards slightly when he does his u-throw. This is why Kirby can get his opponent under the stage to spike. MK doesn't move when he does his u-throw, so there is no way to get the opponent under the stage, ergo... no Ninja-Spike. This is for Kirby only, 'cause he just rocks like that (pun intended). :chuckle:

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Thrillagorilla, you sly dog. I see what you did there. ;)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
No, Meta Knight can't do this.
The name...the avatar...I recognize you!

Only 26 posts in a little over 7 years. >_>

Anyway, good work. Are you telling me that Lylat Cruise is a good stage to take MK? Is it hard to sync the upthrow with the tilting of the ship? :/

Toon Link on Halberd? orly? sounds fun :D
If that really works, it should work on more characters there too.

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
The name...the avatar...I recognize you!

Only 26 posts in a little over 7 years. >_>
He has to have an Alt. Or, he's a mirage or something. He could have forgot he had the account. There are many possibilities, but why only have 26 posts? There are people that have, in the third week singed up, like 2,455 posts or something.

Veeery freaky stuff... > _ >

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
The strange ones are because you can't ninja-spike them right next to the edge. You need to move in a bit. The rounder you are, the harder it is to spike you.
Ok, forget I ever said this. I had the idea to test out Lylat (I'm starting to think I have a Lylat testing complex :psycho:) on fixed camera mode and slow brawl to find more points to ninja-spike than the ones that will be shown in the soon to be posted videos by me and BlazingKatakiri. In so doing, I discovered that as long as you are near the edge, the timing is all that matters in getting the spike. There are three points at which I know you can do it, one in the space battle scene without the Great Fox there (sector Y, Venom, I dunno), one on Corneria, and one in the asteroid belt. The timing is stricter for some characters than it is for others, but it all still works off the same principal.

Anyway, good work. Are you telling me that Lylat Cruise is a good stage to take MK? Is it hard to sync the upthrow with the tilting of the ship? :/
I'm not gonna lie. MK is one of the harder characters to spike :(. The Ninja-spike is a freakin' awesome AT, but is a little too situational to be considered when choosing a CP stage(except vs. Lucario and ZSS in my opinion). If you already love taking MKs here, then go for it! If not, I wouldn't suggest it over a stage you are more comfortable with. As for the Tink on Halberd, I never got it to work. I think this can be chalked up to another case of opponent DI being required, but if I'm wrong, let it be known!

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I just confirmed Ice Climbers (well, one at a time at least :laugh:) and Jiggs on Lylat. I got it to work while I was DIing down and to the left towards the stage, so I think this partially confirms A1's theory. I haven't been able to replicate it on other stages, though. I'm thinking that SDI might be required, but I suck at it and have no viable way to test it :ohwell:.

You forgot to add CF to the Skyworld Stage list ^_^
Really? I haven't been able to do it, but if it works awesome!

Thrilla, you are now officially amazing.
Thanks! :)

...What did I do?

Edit: Asdioh, did you change you sig recently? I must say that this is the first time I've ever been scared of a picture of Kirby.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Thanks! :)

...What did I do?

Edit: Asdioh, did you change you sig recently? I must say that this is the first time I've ever been scared of a picture of Kirby.
You actually test stuff, which makes you awesome in my book. Also come on, Thrillagorilla? How could anyone with such a name NOT be awesome? It's not physically possible!

Also, when you say DI affects this, you mean the opponent's DI right?

Finally, wow Asdioh, that is a really weird sig.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Yeah, for best spike results, the opponent needs to DI down and towards the stage. It isn't required for most characters on Lylat or on Lucario and ZSS on, well, anything that works... but it is required for a few characters (Jiggs and others with awkward hurt-boxes). The character's hurt-box still needs to be completely under the stage too, which is why I think opponent SDI might be required on stages like PS1 for characters other than Lucario and ZSS. As for the testing, No Prob! I just like to contribute what I can :).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Ahhh... that would explain why I've only ever Stagespiked a Snake on PS1 once, and not been able to recreate it.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'm really not liking how DI plays a factor in this.
The stagespikes are hard to recreate, this is a problem. Why do they let you DI uthrow? x.x

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Meh, you can DI just about everything in this game, and to be fair, most people would DI down anyway, so it's actually probably easier to do on actual players.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
DI down doesn't do much against Kirby's up throw o_o

they SHOULD be DI-ing away from Kirby (if he is on their left when he grabs them and upthrows, they should DI right to get maximum distance away from him to prevent combos)

...which, come to think of it, means they would be DI-ing into the stage. So if they happened to DI down AND away, which doesn't sound too unlikely, then yeah I guess it could happen.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Oh, oops. I'm never really on the recieving end of that throw, so I don't know which way to DI it precisely.

But yeah, it does seem like humans DI into it more often. Best part is, a lot of people don't know they are causing it (at least until they look at this thread), so they might do it again later. I know my opponents' reaction is usually (when I manage to get it off) "WTF just happened?"

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'm still working on it, but there are few neutral/CP stages that actually work.

Top Bottom