• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Oklahoma Power Rankings (Updated 11-18)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
^^^ I've tried explaining that before, but Meh. At least someone gets it.

FK1

Smash Journeyman
i didnt ask why i dropped. infact, i didnt mention myself at all.
You did mention yourself.

EDIT: I had something here, but I just realized that it's better not to feed tantrums.

2ndEDIT: Cougars are almost scary...especially when you are a waiter for 7 or 8 of them and you have your soft, young light-tanned, man hands around drinks that they keep asking for. Then they ask you to sit on their laps as they take pictures of you and slur dirty words in your ear... :(

Young Deezy

Smash Apprentice
I'm overall satisfied with my ranking, it's an improvement on my last one, but I know I can get ranked higher because I have already beaten players ranked higher than me.

I know I can get a lot higher in the future if I can manage to get enough money to go to tournaments (Christmas money!! This is how we 14 year olds get it)

I can understand why I am not ranked higher than Tom or Paul though. One good tournament placing doesn't warrant for a spot above those who constantly go to tournaments and also do well outside of tournament play (lol josh?)

bassem6

Smash Lord

EDIT: I had something here, but I just realized that it's better not to feed tantrums.

2ndEDIT: Cougars are almost scary...especially when you are a waiter for 7 or 8 of them and you have your soft, young light-tanned, man hands around drinks that they keep asking for. Then they ask you to sit on their laps as they take pictures of you and slur dirty words in your ear... :(
LOL XD!!!

Anywho, Tom, are you inquiring as to why josh stayed as number 3?

I believed he should remain 3rd because although he didnt go to too many tournies this time around(he got 5th in teams and got out of pools at NK so he did decent there), we all know that he is a skilled player and it just didnt feel right to me to rank anybody else above him because I know he can pretty much beat everyone else >_>. On the other hand, if he wants go up the PR, he will have to outplace me and chris at some tournies before we can consider him.

I think if anyone wants to go up the PR, they just need to show that they can consistently place higher at tournaments than people above them.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord

you confuse questions with tantrums, but thanks okay.

PrettyBoy=Marc

Smash Rookie
The list is perfect except for number 9 an 10? Why is afro 9 i think you guys are just feeling sorry for some people because they complain. I still will give Deezy 4 or 5 though, here's why. There is not 1 single player in oklahoma that has shown improvement on his level. He goes to norman alot and practices and got waaaayyy better than alot of folks that live there. When i played him the last time i saw him. He's transformed into a elite player., My hat goes off to him. Deezy is the real FUTURE unlike that ***** Will. Lol

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
The list is perfect except for number 9 an 10? Why is afro 9 i think you guys are just feeling sorry for some people because they complain. I still will give Deezy 4 or 5 though, here's why. There is not 1 single player in oklahoma that has shown improvement on his level. He goes to norman alot and practices and got waaaayyy better than alot of folks that live there. When i played him the last time i saw him. He's transformed into a elite player., My hat goes off to him. Deezy is the real FUTURE unlike that ***** Will. Lol
sorry will

<3 marc

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Oooh PR drama! Can I play too?

"I SHOULD BE NUMBER ONE BECAUSE I CAN KICK THE ***** OF EVERYONE IN OKLAHOMA AND I DON'T NEED METAKNIGHT OR SNAKE TO DO IT BECAUSE I AM BETTER THAN ALL OF YOU, EVEN THOUGH WE CAN'T EVEN STOP TEXAS FROM TAKING OUR MONEY EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY SHOW UP!"

That's how you troll, rookies.

Oh, and real talk, I would have rocked HxC so HORD. I deserve an actual ranking, and I will prove it. Thanks for giving me the list of people I need to outdo at the next tourney.

You will all see the power of the ancients soon enough...

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Sars, Dphat has his trump card though.

The Raspy Holla. I think we both agree that gives him a slight edge over Gravity.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Thing is though that Gravity backs all of his **** talk up with the raspy, so he's really able to mitigate the effect of the raspy holla.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
DANG! I dunno, Raspy Holla is top tier Sars. Not even Hanson is 100% sure how to pull it off like Dphat.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I think if Dphat combos from raspy holla to ***** poppin to girlfriend texting, then it might be game over though honestly. Too many kill moves.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Can't forget the turtle. Dphat's turtle is pretty good.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
OMG Dphat has so many trump cards, you might never see them all in your lifetime lol.

FattyFatFatso

Smash Apprentice
Sars, Dphat has his trump card though.

The Raspy Holla. I think we both agree that gives him a slight edge over Gravity.
Raspy Holla, ***** Poppin, Turtle, and Bad K-pop singing. Dphat for God Tier!

I want to understand though the thought process behind PR rankings. Everybody has a sense of intuition and that is very important, there is no doubt that Josh is a phenomenal player and that he is deserving of the top spots on the PR. However, people use tournament placings to justify their intuition about the skill of a player yes? I can say that Will is a good player (which he might be =P) but if he doesn't perform well at tournaments then my claim is invalid. I still believe Josh is definitely a top 3 player, hell he was #1 for a time on the PR. I just cant back that claim up at this moment because of his recent performance at tournies. He made it out of pools at NO KOAST. That's fine. He enforces the belief that he was better than Yawara, Po, and myself. However, he did not play in the bracket, and so cant support the belief that he is better than Bryan, Tom, Paul, or even Afro despite us all agreeing that he is. This argument can be applied especially to Bryan and Paul. We always knew that they were good. We just didn't know HOW good compared to the rest of us. So what did we do? We look at tournament rankings to support our ideas. I honestly believed that Bryan was better than Paul, and he lived up to that belief by placing higher at HxC. This also makes sense in putting me out of the PRs now. We all had an idea that Deezy, Afro, and Yawara had gotten better than me but just needed tournament rankings to support that idea. I completely agree with that part of the PR. Josh is a funny case because it isn't about what we think, we do KNOW that he is better than alot of us. But that does not mean we should give less weight to his tournament rankings. His tournament rankings should be considered with equal weight just like everyone else's. Josh may still be a top 3 player to alot of us but his recent performances in tournaments does not warrant his position on the PR at this time.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Po's Second Take

Upon further inspection, I feel that what this thread needs is a bit of my insight, wisdom, and unmistakable badassitude...

*EDITOR'S NOTE: The views and opinions expressed by Po Pimpus are purely meant for humorological purposes... If you get butt-hurt over his words, then you are a ***** and need to grow some balls*

OK'S POWER RANKING as of 11/19/2009 (or as I like to call it, politicizing skill for the sake of 'feelings'):

Well, you guys tried, and actually didn't screw it up completely, I see a few errors, however, I won't stir the pot, but I will put a humorous spin on the PR-- Instead of seeing it as who is 'The Best in Oklahoma' (or as I like to call it, who is less likely to get two-peaced by D-Phat), I look at as WHO ON THAT LIST IS BETTER THAN PO?!? Let's face it, I'm the only person in OK that counts, so...

1. BASSEM= or slightly> Po

I don't have enough info on this dude matchup-wise, but hey, he seems to be the only dude that can beat D-Phat consistently, so that counts for something, I guess...

2. KOS-MOS *sandbagging= Po* *non-sandbagging> Po by far*

Yeah, this is one of the few I would say can beat me easily, but he's been on a sandbagging streak, so I think I can take him in a fair fight these days. What a scrub.

3. CHUCK NASTY slighty> Po *probably*

Haven't seen him in awhile, haven't played him in even longer, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he beats Po 6 out of 10. Once I figure him out, he'll get lit on fire like everyone else.

4. ZINTH= Po

Only reason you = and not <Po is because you got Crutch-a Knight holding you up when **** gets tough. If it takes you all three stock to put away Luigi with Meta, you're not doing it right, and you should count yourself lucky that my Shoryuken missed you last time we played, lest I'd be doing the Stanky Leg over your burnt out corpse.

5. FK< Po

Son, you can point to however many friendly victories you want, but, to paraphrase the words of the illustrious Hanson "I beat Po in a friendly that didn't count for anything, hee hee!" Oh, yeah and don't count that MGC laggy-*** TV bull, either, you almost let me come back from one-stock 150+% Next tournament, I'll outplace you, especially if we get the same bracket.

6. TYPEX< Po

Fanastic FOUR. Enough said. <3 you, Tom!

7. YOUNG DEEZY< Po

I've got your number, son. Your Marth can't touch me, and you Meta Knight is almost as bad as Will's... Against me, you're an also-ran, a forgone conclusion. STAY OFF MY LAWN, BOY!

8. SHADE_< Po

Kuni, I love you, but you can't beat me. Not many people can, though, so don't feel too down. Besides, Will Smith is still awesome.

9. AFROTASTIC < Po

Grenade camping won't save you when next we meet. You can catch flames too, son. All day, everyday.

10. SARS PIRATE < Po

Yawara is my boy. He also can't beat me. Congrats to you and Afro for keeping the filler spots warm.

Basically, no one outside of Bassem, Josh, and Chris is beating me in a set, and the rest of you jokers will be lucky to take it to three against The Pimpest. S-Tier is most of y'alls best bet, and even then I'll smoke you like menthol in the hood.

Po Pimpus is just as, if not(most likely) better than you, BET IT.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Being one of the top 3 players actually does warrant his placement on the tier list. Tier list =/= formulaic. We don't have means of calculating players by tourney placements alone.

It's 100% subjective.

As such, if you even say that he's top 3, then you just voted him for the 3 spot on the PR. Power Rankings reflect what the panel believes to be the best players in order, not a list of how well people place in tourney.

If that's the case, then the tier list would look something like:

1) Bassem
2) Kos-Mos
3) Zinth
4) FK
5) Young Deezy
6) Lil Will
7) Type-EX
8) Afrotastic
9/10) FattyFatFatso

I don't think anyone would argue that this is a more accurate power ranking.

Shade_

Smash Ace
I think you have effectively ignored the rest of my post. What I am trying to say is. If you are going to be subjective, why bother telling others that you are going to take tournament placings in consideration? Also, I didn't say the power rankings should reflect how well people place in tournament, if you say that you are taking the tournament rankings into consideration, then do it equally for all players. Of course the PR will be subjective, but if it is so, then don't try to mask it as being objective by saying that tournament rankings are taken into consideration. If you are making an attempt to be less subjective, then at least let your subjective view be tempered by the objective data of tournament placings. Sure subjectively I would vote for Josh to be 3, but objective data says otherwise, therefore it would make sense for him to drop below Bryan or even Paul. If you are saying that the PRs are subjective, fine. Don't dress it up as anything else by claiming you are considering tournament placings. If you are making an attempt to reduce subjectivism, then use objective data equally for all considerations. The panel seems to have done that for every player on the PR except Josh. This is Dan.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
If the tourney results weren't put into consideration, then people like Afro, Deezy, Bryan, FK, Tom, or Chris wouldn't be where they are.

The panel actually had long discussions about these players in particular because we were weighing objective data with subjective representation. This isn't about dressing anything up because there are 5 panelists with 5 subjective views who convene around the singular objective results.

Let's take the number four spot for instance. As it stands now, Bryan is our 4th best ranking player, but subjectively many people have voiced alternate opinions--the most prominent alternatives to Bryan being 4th would be either Paul or Tom.

In fact, as it stood, initially I was the only one who ranked Bryan at 4th. Other people put Tom at the 4 position--without objective results and applying only subjective inferences--or Paul at the 4 position. Subjectively speaking, it can be argued that Paul could indeed because members of our panel felt that Paul was the better player--or even Tom for that matter.

However, we didn't just infer from what we saw. We used tournament results to generate the four spot.

In the case of Josh however, it has to be stated that all prior power rankings misrepresented him because, in all honesty, Josh only would attend 1 tourney--the Tulsa monthlies. When those monthlies ended, we had no way to accurately or objectively record Josh's skill level much in the same way that we had no way of recording Bassem's.

Also, during that entire time period, only a limited number from our community was actually active in tournament. Those would be: Hanson, Chris, Tom, Daniel, and Po. Aside form those five, nobody traveled except to small monthlies. As a result, the data for the PRs were not rooted in just tourney results. We had to subjectively rank players in accordance to how we felt they did against the majority.

Power Rankings are, by nature, like tier lists. As such, tier lists are by no means bound by objectivity. If they were, then half the cast would be unranked because half the cast isn't even played in tournament.

Smash theory then relies on subjective inferences and to suggest that the only way to approach truth or to accurately rank players or characters is to draw from objectiveness will not yield a correct ranking.

In that same vein, you have to realize that the PR consists of 5 panelists. It's not a singular attempt at rankings players, the discussions that go on are in depth and cover all topics. Some panelists most definitely rely on subjectivity. Others rely entirely on tournament results. When these two trains of thought coalesce, the accuracy of the tier list becomes realized.

None of the panelists trivialized Josh's lack of tournament results. In fact, the key issue that stopped Josh from rising was the lack of tournament results though many panelists subjectively inferred that he has gotten better. However, as you even said yourself, the Oklahoma smash community + the 5 panelists that created this power ranking all agree that Josh is a good player and can beat everyone below him.

If you don't think he's the third best player or that the power ranking doesn't accurately rank his skill leve in comparison to the rest of the community, then prove it by beating him in tournament.

If you honestly think that Josh should be ranked 7th on the PR, and that 6 players are indeed better than him, then those six have got to prove it. But as it stands right now, only 2/6 of those players think they can achieve that aim.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
I think that tournament results inherently have to be taken into consideration no matter how you slice it, because if it wasn't for the tournament scene then we wouldn't be doing this.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
If the tourney results weren't put into consideration, then people like Afro, Deezy, Bryan, FK, Tom, or Chris wouldn't be where they are.

The panel actually had long discussions about these players in particular because we were weighing objective data with subjective representation. This isn't about dressing anything up because there are 5 panelists with 5 subjective views who convene around the singular objective results.

Let's take the number four spot for instance. As it stands now, Bryan is our 4th best ranking player, but subjectively many people have voiced alternate opinions--the most prominent alternatives to Bryan being 4th would be either Paul or Tom.

In fact, as it stood, initially I was the only one who ranked Bryan at 4th. Other people put Tom at the 4 position--without objective results and applying only subjective inferences--or Paul at the 4 position. Subjectively speaking, it can be argued that Paul could indeed because members of our panel felt that Paul was the better player--or even Tom for that matter.

However, we didn't just infer from what we saw. We used tournament results to generate the four spot.

In the case of Josh however, it has to be stated that all prior power rankings misrepresented him because, in all honesty, Josh only would attend 1 tourney--the Tulsa monthlies. When those monthlies ended, we had no way to accurately or objectively record Josh's skill level much in the same way that we had no way of recording Bassem's.

Also, during that entire time period, only a limited number from our community was actually active in tournament. Those would be: Hanson, Chris, Tom, Daniel, and Po. Aside form those five, nobody traveled except to small monthlies. As a result, the data for the PRs were not rooted in just tourney results. We had to subjectively rank players in accordance to how we felt they did against the majority.

Power Rankings are, by nature, like tier lists. As such, tier lists are by no means bound by objectivity. If they were, then half the cast would be unranked because half the cast isn't even played in tournament.

Smash theory then relies on subjective inferences and to suggest that the only way to approach truth or to accurately rank players or characters is to draw from objectiveness will not yield a correct ranking.

In that same vein, you have to realize that the PR consists of 5 panelists. It's not a singular attempt at rankings players, the discussions that go on are in depth and cover all topics. Some panelists most definitely rely on subjectivity. Others rely entirely on tournament results. When these two trains of thought coalesce, the accuracy of the tier list becomes realized.

None of the panelists trivialized Josh's lack of tournament results. In fact, the key issue that stopped Josh from rising was the lack of tournament results though many panelists subjectively inferred that he has gotten better. However, as you even said yourself, the Oklahoma smash community + the 5 panelists that created this power ranking all agree that Josh is a good player and can beat everyone below him.

If you don't think he's the third best player or that the power ranking doesn't accurately rank his skill leve in comparison to the rest of the community, then prove it by beating him in tournament.

If you honestly think that Josh should be ranked 7th on the PR, and that 6 players are indeed better than him, then those six have got to prove it. But as it stands right now, only 2/6 of those players think they can achieve that aim.
this is the answer i was looking for.

Young Deezy

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps today we can do sets or serious matches at the smashfest to settle disputes (not actually to change the PRs, but more like a pride/honor thing lol)

bassem6

Smash Lord
lolz. Anyone who questions the PR will fall to my ganondorf. I think Im gonna make a "gannon-banned" list and see how many people I can beat with ganon and add to it.

In all seriousness, Josh got 5th in teams at NK and him and paul took a game off dphat and lee and me and kos mos couldnt even do that, so it shows they josh has some skill (paul couldnt have done it by myself yknow?) So, the tournament he DID go to, he placed fairly well in the event he participated in. And IIRC, he did exceptionally well in pools too. I think if his tournament attendance remains low and if somebody else on the PR starts placing high then we may very well lower him and raise that someone to 3rd. But it just wouldnt feel right to me to have anyone else at 3rd yet because I dont think anyone else is quite that good.

I mean, who else would you place at 3rd? Bryan would be the next closest candidate but even bryan didnt vote for himself. After kos mos was decided for 2nd, it was pretty much unanimous that josh should get 3rd.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
i would have voted bryan.

i dont know why we would count teams. and there were other people who did well in pools too.

paul probably got 1st or 2nd, dont know how afro did. i got 2nd in pools

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
All tourney results are taken into consideration cause they're all relevant, just some less than others like pools and teams. In Josh's case, that's all we had to go on though. In everyone else's, not so much.

I really don't get like the argument against Josh's placement since everyone whose posted seems to agree that Josh should be ranked high now.

AfroTastic

Smash Apprentice
i would have voted bryan.

i dont know why we would count teams. and there were other people who did well in pools too.

paul probably got 1st or 2nd, dont know how afro did. i got 2nd in pools
Paul and I tied for fourth in NK.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
why should there be any activity? since hxc there have been zero tournaments where the lot of us have attended. i think since HxC paul, alex, and josh attended phase 3 and me and kevin went to phase 4.

*edit*
and bassem and paul went to hobo.

Top Bottom