• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Rate My DK thread

daisho

Smash Lord
CBK in your videos against demon I noticed that you only did 1 grounded up b in the entire set. WHY????

you were also very predictible and hardly mixed up approaching. you used bair>side b a lot.

you also kept using d smash when you wanted a kill and kept hoping for a hit. get in a better position for those things

7/10
Out of 100 please, 10 is not enough.

more cbk I found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO6E4bXHhzg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3QTuOSVN0k&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLgXYaobvl4&feature=related

anyway, cbk, you seem to be pretty good at predicting and forcing rolls/dodges/techchases, but you got a couple bad habits.

you fire off dsmash a lot, and a bit too early to ko, not sure why
on the ledge... you just upb and ledge attack
and you air dodge after the hit instead of an aerial, which you shouldn't do for DI purposes

also, you gotta work on your SA timing, i think I only really saw you use it against claw.

Yeah, I saw some other stuff that's exploitable, but I'm saving that till I play you
Please give him a rating out of 100.

I give you a 74 CBK.
I thought you used too many fairs onstage, too many d smashes.
ou made a bunch of bad decisions on grabs, and the headbutt rather than Fsmash when you broke his shield was also a poor decision. I'm not saying you should have known that he would brake out, but Fsmash is safer and fully charged probably would have killed him.

I think that you wasted alot of DK punches and didnt use them at the correct moments.

Another thing that may or may not be bad is that you barely used your tilts. I don't remember seeing and dtilt and that is amazing. I saw a few ftilts and utilts but i think more would have been better.

Lack of grounded up b confuzzled me. You LOVE that attack.

You used ALOT of headbutts against rob but they went farely unpunished and was definitely worth it overall.

A thing that alot of people do that i notice is when your opponent has a full shield and you headbutt, it doesnt help you. You will get punished every time.

I think its pretty safe to say that anyone decent under 70 % will not be hit by anything other than a punch or dsmash if you time it right from a headbutt.

Anyway, just my opinion you can disagree with whatever you want. The thing is, I just didnt see that CBK greatness that your ego points to (in those six matches, not saying you can't back it up. Also calibur of opponents definitely had something to do with it.)

And Ripple, i didnt mean just 5 judges who judge everything. I meant everyone can judge it just that we need at least 5 in order for it to count. If there are any outliers (as in average of 6 is 56 but someone gives an 80) they will be discounted so there is nothing to worry about stupid people. If I see people are judging stupidly I will just not count their votes in the future. Fare?

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Okay okay good this is what I wanted, see the reason for the headbutt on full shield is not to headbutt them but to scare them into not using shield anymore because they don't have any. I break more shields in my matches than any other DK I've ever seen. Two hits from down b run forward b hits shield breaks, don't shield grounded, you get punished if you don't read the reaction from your approach. Trust me when you play with the same people your tricks will eventually be punished.

I do really appreciate what you guys are telling me, and no johns I Faired like a crazy person mostly because I kept trying to turn around back air and I kept jumping too early. Been doing that a lot lately.

daisho

Smash Lord
I know what your saying CBK and I think your headbutt use was very good, Im just saying that when he has a full shield and you headbutt, you can expect to be punished.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Out of 100 please, 10 is not enough.

Please give him a rating out of 100.

And Ripple, i didnt mean just 5 judges who judge everything. I meant everyone can judge it just that we need at least 5 in order for it to count. If there are any outliers (as in average of 6 is 56 but someone gives an 80) they will be discounted so there is nothing to worry about stupid people. If I see people are judging stupidly I will just not count their votes in the future. Fare?
maybe we should give % of DK's full potential shown? just something to think about.

that way we could give out grades

CBK is a grade A DK but his videos showed a C+ DK

second part sounds good to me..

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
If you plan on giving 'grades' you should establish a system. Personally I would rather have someone tell me every single thing i did wrong than give me a grade. If you are posting in this thread you should be ready to be picked apart and be able to not be offended. The reason im so picky is because thats what I want when I have video reviews done for me. Me and my crew mates actually coach each other at tournaments and we tend to do a lot better because of it.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
I like the judging Idea but lets not just put people on a panel just to put them. Lets think about it and make good DK's and smart DK' the judges. I'm going to hate it if I'm rated by someone that isn't good at all and is trying to tell me a matchup when I know he's wrong.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
I don't just think we should take video submission either, I believe all videos loss and wins should be included on the rating for the sole purpose of if I don't show you guys any losing vids then how is it I can be rated when I lose.

I mean sure sure I lose, I know I know it's a shock...CBK loses too>XD

daisho

Smash Lord
If you plan on giving 'grades' you should establish a system. Personally I would rather have someone tell me every single thing i did wrong than give me a grade. If you are posting in this thread you should be ready to be picked apart and be able to not be offended. The reason im so picky is because thats what I want when I have video reviews done for me. Me and my crew mates actually coach each other at tournaments and we tend to do a lot better because of it.
*Angry Face*
If you read the entire op you would understand!

*Normal Face*
This section is double. Both ratings and critiques. If thats not clear from the original post please tell me and ill try to fix it.

I guess we could do judges. Kinda makes sense. We should have a vote on who the official judges should be and of course if they are willing.

Not too hot on the grading system though. I like the 100 points so that we can have have rankings.

Officially starting now we are voting for our panel of judges.

The original post has been completely revised. Please check it out.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
*Angry Face*
If you read the entire op you would understand!

*Normal Face*
This section is double. Both ratings and critiques. If thats not clear from the original post please tell me and ill try to fix it.

I guess we could do judges. Kinda makes sense. We should have a vote on who the official judges should be and of course if they are willing.

Not too hot on the grading system though. I like the 100 points so that we can have have rankings.

Officially starting now we are voting for our panel of judges.

Omniostrich
CBK
Bigfoot
Ripple
highandmightyjoe

The original post has been completely revised. Please check it out.
My bad, If i get behind on forums i generally just read the past few posts/discussion going on.

Since I'm on the figurative ballet should I not be nominating? Also I think PMs to some trusted player would be better than posting on the boards to eliminate drama (peach boards anyone?)

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
I watched all of these videos.

Too much fair at times where it wouldn't kill your opponent. It's fine for edgeguarding (sometimes) and for surprise, but you threw it out too much, at low percents. You also used more jabs than I would like.

Too much headbutt! This moves is great when it hits but often isn't worth using. I usually only use it when my opponent's shield is weak from a down+b or up+b. It's better to throw it out after a bair (instead of a second bair) rather than just throwing it out from the ground.

You keep double jumping above your opponent. DK is very bad at hitting people who are below him. Stick low to the ground.

Use all of DK's tilts more. All three of them are extremely good moves. Lately I have especially been liking the up tilt. You do use them, just not enough.

Your Lucas friend needs to stop using PK Thunder to hit himself so much. He used like 6 thunders in a row on brinstar, and none of them were required. I know I'm supposed to be commenting on you and not your opponents, but seriously. Less Thunder, Freeze, and upsmash! More nair and dair!

I know I said a lot, but overall you were quite good. I was especially impressed by your first stock against Diddy.
Thank you, this all really helps. Except... most of the time when I use the headbutt it's to stall in the air or to avoid landing lag on fair or dair. It scares off the people who might want to punish said lag. I do need to do it less, though, people are predicting it after I use it too much.
I have been working on staying low and using tilts more often, and I think I used fair more than usual there because my opponent was especially afraid of them (I don't know either, but he told me before how awesome he thinks it is, so think of it as one big mindgame) But it really helps to hear this stuff out of a fellow DK main's mouth, lets me know I'm not completely insane =D

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
My bad, If i get behind on forums i generally just read the past few posts/discussion going on.

Since I'm on the figurative ballet should I not be nominating? Also I think PMs to some trusted player would be better than posting on the boards to eliminate drama (peach boards anyone?)
I like the idea of PMs. I'd rather not see all the votes, in fear of nobody saying my name :urg:

PIE: You seem to understand the points well enough. For the headbutt, though, it wasn't just stalling off stage. I really can't recommend using it to attack at all unless the opponent's shield has taken a decent hit, or under some situation where it is very likely to hit (punishing a laggy move, usually).

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Okay okay good this is what I wanted, see the reason for the headbutt on full shield is not to headbutt them but to scare them into not using shield anymore because they don't have any. I break more shields in my matches than any other DK I've ever seen. Two hits from down b run forward b hits shield breaks, don't shield grounded, you get punished if you don't read the reaction from your approach. Trust me when you play with the same people your tricks will eventually be punished.

I do really appreciate what you guys are telling me, and no johns I Faired like a crazy person mostly because I kept trying to turn around back air and I kept jumping too early. Been doing that a lot lately.
Yeah, I gotta upload some of mine, I get about 1 shield break a set (got 4 vs a couple snakes, teaches them not to grenade counter dk)

anyway, you play a pretty high-risk-high-reward dk, but some of the stuff you did (those dsmashes before ko %) were risky, and with very little payoff. you also need more dtilt, and some of the throw stuff looked like you messed up and didn't do what you wanted. you look like you go for gimps a lot (especially against drago) but you didn't really gimp much, maybe cause it was rob. fair vs rob will ko though, so use that to gimp (got close with the dairs though)

B-

So what would be my grade/rating/whatever
honestly? D-

The SD at the very beginning shows you need to work on your recovery, you missed a perfect usmash ko at 1:23 in the first vid, you got problems getting kos, you need to use dsmash, dtilt, downb, and grounded upb more, and you need to make better use of that SA.

It seemed like you weren't used to the charcter (kinda true if it was your first time), you didn't space the bairs well, and you did a couple dk no-nos (ftilt when you're really close up is a bad idea, go for the dtilt instead). You were also kinda using the punch as a traditional punish instead of abusing the SA properly.

You got the basic prediction down, but your timing was a bit off (the tech chase with headbutt on ps1, sooo close, but it was too late, same with a charged dsmash and some other stuff).

you got some potential, but you just seemed kinda clunky and uneasy with dk. luckily you were doing well with the hard stuff, and the things you need to learn are pretty easy to pick up, so just practice up a bit and you'll have a much better DK

CBK

Smash Journeyman
But that would mean whoever is going to give the results can't be a canidate and has to be trust worthy!.XD

I.E. I prolly won't get nominated but I'm way too shifty to recieve the votes.XD

CBK

Smash Journeyman
The reason that I don't do that Fair against Demon he has a stupendous Fair game with him and as soon as he see's it he knows the range to punish it before DK's fair hits and if he can't he dodges and can punish with a bair. Drago though yeah Marth is easier to handle if you gimp him, because then he's forced to be the aggressor instead of the camp till the come close sword dance character.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
if cbk received the votes the results would be

cbk: 20
everyone else: 0
four people that cbk wants on the panel: 1 or 2

I say use the thread OR start a new thread for it, so that if you don't want to see the results, you don't have to

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
Are there any good DKs who don't even want to make commentary?

Bum would be perfect for this because he doesn't post anyway.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I was like why do I need the boards when I have me right here. But then I realized I don't come here to get help but to help out the DK community. And pick little tricks up here and there.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
I just found out if you DownB on the Battle field platforms and D3 is within the hit box under it he gets hit he can't even Fsmash you at max range before you **** him up!.XD

...Q

Smash Rookie

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
well, he need to work on his smashes... all of em, and his punching (he landed like 1 in two games, and it wasn't to ko).

he needs to space more with dtilt since it's safe, and needs to work on both forms of SA. also, needs more grabs, and needs to DI better (both to get out of combos that shouldn't happen, and to survive longer)

haven't watched the ness one, i'll put up a grade after I do

EDIT: onstage dairs >.>

well, he did land more punches, even if the other guy ran/tripped into them, and the sakurai combo somewhat redeems the headbutt he had on you at 104% where he just jabbed you., but.... meh

D 66/100

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Hi DK Boards.. im not a Dk main but my friend is and im just wondering if u guys dont mind critiquing my friend's DK ..

Here are some vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h9Nl3dt8Ho Match 1 Q(Lucario) vs CReW(DK)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWVuP...eature=related Match 2 Q(Lucario) vs CReW(DK)

This is another match i found, it was against another friend of mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skiJH...e=channel_page Anon(ness) vs CReW(DK)
Something before analysis. How are we going to vote. If you want to do a rating lets keep it 1-5.

First match

:10 I know its a friendly and your joking around but remember to put the pressure on the after your punch is wind up.

:19 SDI + TDI, possibly would of got you out of that. If not its still a good habit.

:34 No SH Fair

:46 Nice perfect shield approach

:50 Sho guard!

1:06 Again understand its a friendly, but wind up the punch every chance you get.

1:30 Go a little wider and don't jump so you won't get the landing lag

1:35 Fair....

3:00 Sho Guard!

3:18 Dair...

I only saw the first one, could get to the others. But I'll just edit this post when the I get the chance.

daisho

Smash Lord
The rating system is now being done by judges. We are still voting on the judges. PM me your vote of 5 people to be the judges.

Four Leaf

Smash Journeyman
Just handpick 5 guys that are active...O.o
Pick 5 active and GOOD people. Last thing the boards needs is ****ty advice. People also need to start posting multiple matches against other opponents. I see so many matches of people fighting their friend's char 2-5 times. I wanna see your dk vs 5 different opponents with different chars. Not 5 Marths, 5 different chars. It's quite hard to critique a play style if you don't see how they play against other chars. People might have a "good" looking dk, but lack match experience. Giving match experience advice should be just as, or more important than saying " do this at :57 seconds". Advice should be given in 2 parts: How the DK played and how they could have done better against that specific opponent. There should be a lot of analyzing, not just tips. My 2 cents

- Grape

CBK

Smash Journeyman
I agree on Grapes thinking, Makes sense again thats why I said we need multiple vids of not just wins but loses.XD

daisho

Smash Lord
The voting is going fine. Some of the most active members are at the top of the list. If you want active people just vote! (grape **** and powuh you havn't voted yet)

Their are 6 people with multiple votes and they are:
Ripple- 7
Bigfoot- 6
CBK- 5
Ook- 5
OmniOstritch- 4
TheNix- 4

The rest all have one (im in there w00t). If the rest of the voting is similar i think we should just make a panel of those six, but I think we need some more votes first.

Pick 5 active and GOOD people. Last thing the boards needs is ****ty advice. People also need to start posting multiple matches against other opponents. I see so many matches of people fighting their friend's char 2-5 times. I wanna see your dk vs 5 different opponents with different chars. Not 5 Marths, 5 different chars. It's quite hard to critique a play style if you don't see how they play against other chars. People might have a "good" looking dk, but lack match experience. Giving match experience advice should be just as, or more important than saying " do this at :57 seconds". Advice should be given in 2 parts: How the DK played and how they could have done better against that specific opponent. There should be a lot of analyzing, not just tips. My 2 cents

- Grape
I would love to play against other people, but I don't have a wii and my only good friend who does is who i play (though he just got guitar hero so i don't know if he'll ever want to play brawl). I also can't go to pretty much any tournament and don't know anyone else near here who plays.

I'm not just explaining my own situation, but other people also might have situations like this that they can't play with other people.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
I'm kinda surprised not to see Bum in that list, despite being completely inactive. I'm pretty pleased to have a few votes, whether or not I get more from here.

Four Leaf

Smash Journeyman
I would love to play against other people, but I don't have a wii and my only good friend who does is who i play (though he just got guitar hero so i don't know if he'll ever want to play brawl). I also can't go to pretty much any tournament and don't know anyone else near here who plays.

I'm not just explaining my own situation, but other people also might have situations like this that they can't play with other people.
I understand what you mean. Nix doesn't have anyone to play where he is too, but here's the thing... you can play people online if worst comes to it. Understand that your matches won't look amazing because online is terrible, but we could analyze the general concept of your play style. Online messes with buffers and doesn't register really fast play well, but it's still a viable option to get some videos online. I would post videos of myself but I don't have a converter to get it on my computer. I actually have to go and price one of them. I don't think any of you have ever even seen me play lol. Also everyone on that list seems credible. Just ignore my vote as I'd vote for all of them probably. I haven't seen any of them give garbage information.

daisho

Smash Lord
Well I don't have a wii, so I can't play online. I have pretty much only faced a few characters multiple times and my friend is really only good with metaknight.

You can use a standard digital camera, they almost all have video except for the ~5 year old ones. I use a camera and while my quality is not anywhere as good, its not terrible and you can still see whats going on. The worst part id have to say is the clicking.

Four Leaf

Smash Journeyman
Well I don't have a wii, so I can't play online. I have pretty much only faced a few characters multiple times and my friend is really only good with metaknight.

You can use a standard digital camera, they almost all have video except for the ~5 year old ones. I use a camera and while my quality is not anywhere as good, its not terrible and you can still see whats going on. The worst part id have to say is the clicking.
I'll be uploading some videos soon. When posting videos some people are really picky and only post videos that they **** in. I'd like to see members of this board posting matches that they lost. I don't wanna see you suicide 2/3 stocks, but if it's a good match or even if you get two stocked, post it. Everyone posts their videos that they win, when I get some matches up I'll definitely be posting matches that I lose as well as win. It's hard to critique your dk if you just **** your opponent. I wanna see how smart people play when both players are at 100% on the last stock or it's a really intense uphill battle. I wanna see people LOSE DAM NIT!

Top Bottom