• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Rate My Mario thread

Matt07

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2akixgw9Xw

KingKira's Mario to be critiqued.

I'll edit this post after I watch the match so check back later.

1:26 - You should've charged up FLUDD instead of taunting.
3:38 - Why did you recover so early? You basically just lost a stock :p.
4:19 - Why did you up B reverse?

Overall summary: when he was using Tornado, you should've used up B. And way to much f-air. Everytime you used it you missed/got punished for it. Also you recover at very akward times, learn how and when to recover.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Don't recover on to the stage because it leaves you completely vulnerable, grab the edge instead. Don't hang on the edge past your invincibility frames unless you have a direct reason to do so. Charge your FLUDD if he's not near you. Don't roll dodge to move everywhere because it's easily punished. Up b in the wrong direction looked like an accident, but do not do that unless you're under the stage and that's the only way you can get back. Don't up b early and then fall to the edge unless you're sure you can hit him with the attack first. You can not punish MK's attacks with fsmash especially when you're extremely close to him. To punish his tornado, do something fast like down smash, grab, jab, ftilt or up tilt. Approach with short hopped dairs or bairs. Do not approach him with fair, it lags a whole lot and it's Mario's slowest move.

Veggi

Smash Champion
FLUDD'ing Mach Tornado is too funny. Uair is a good approach at low percents because it chains into a lot of things (namely up tilt). Nair is actually pretty good if you land behind them or pull away while you nair, otherwise it gets shield grabbed. Nair is really good for stopping spotdodges especially when you can combo into jab or up tilt after it. I was trying to name the most useful approaches though, nair and uair can work, but just not as well.

Matt07

Smash Master
Updated with Vato's videos.

And here's some critiquing.

First match. Sheild more! His d-air owned you silly on your second and third stock. Hold your shield wait it out, up B for punishing. Other then that you did really well and you can easily have won that match.

Second match. Uuh...well LOL you kinda demolised the Diddy Kong there, nothing to say. You had that match.

Third match. Same as second match =P.

Fourth match.
2:38 Nice gimp LOL.
3:07 Nice gimp again daaamn.
Anyways you played that match well. You attacked Nana when you seperated them. Good! I see many players always going for Popo when they're seperated, but it's way easier to kill Nana and by doing that you wreck their chaingrabs.

Fifth match.
2:48 LOL at f-air.
You had an SD that match, mistakes happen. Good edguarding against them too.

Not much else to say, you have a really solid Mario. Unless others have more advice they could give you.

Matt07

Smash Master
You guys don't have digital cameras that can record videos?

Quality is crap, but at least it's some means of recording. I'll probably buy a Gamebridge or something this summer since I can actually that buy stuff now.

I played WiFi I got some non laggy matches...I got 2 stocked by a Samus. **** Lylat Cruise lol, but he's got a pretty sexy Samus.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I have one, and the quality is actually great. My Wii's bricked though. I had a ****load of vids, lol.

There were a few against a bunch of you guys that I wanted up too.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Is it having disc read errors? Brawl can cause that and Nintendo offers to ship/repair that for free (that's what I'm doing now).

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
My Wii's bricked AND my brawl doesn't read certain characters.

I'm all sorts of screwed in that department. Oddly enough though...my Mario only improves the less I play. Keeps me unpredictable.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Vato, just for you:

Let me sart by saying, your Mario is quite a bit better than mine, so don't take my criticism as being insulting or something, because I just want to help, and I'm fully aware your Mario would **** mine.

Okay, now that the pseudo-disclaimer is out of the way...

Match 1:

-You need to vary your ledge options. I saw a few times where other ones would have worked (I personally like ledge-drop UpB to regrab the ledge since it hits through the stage), though yours is good too. Just gets a bit predictable.
-Nice Fsmash, but I saw a few other times where a stutter stepped Fsmash could have worked well.
-Ouch... I saw that UpB stagespike coming...
-Maybe keep FLUDD charged more? I don't know... I always have it charged but rarely use it, so meh...
-Otherwise, good stuff!

Match 2:

-Well played, it seemed you did everything right. He should have used more bananas though...
-I'm sure you know this, but I'll throw it out there anyway: A good way to pick up bananas lying on the ground is to just fall on them and hit Nair right before you hit the ground. It basically lets you land laglessly with a banana under your control.

Match 3:

-Good ****. I don't know how to fight ICs, so I can't really say much. That second kill/gimp was awesome though.

Match 4:

-Not bad at all. You need to watch out though. You are leaving yourself too open for grabs. Loved those cape gimps on Nana!

Overall:

-I really like your usage of Usmash. There were some times where you could/should have used it.

-You're a tad bit overaggressive. You should shield more and utilize your OoS options. Also, maybe some of the jab follow-ups, although jab>grab is pretty good.

-You use a LOT of Uair. Maybe find some easy way of refreshing it? More pummels when you grab maybe?

-You make good use of the cape/FLUDD.

Great Mario, keep it up!

Matt07

Smash Master
Thanks for the bump FireMario.

Frank;
Vs Samus not much I could say...I mean you were in control that match and made little or no mistakes that I could really say you need to improve on.

FireMario
Your first two matches you played really well nothing to say.

Against Ganon the only advice I could you is more d-air, it's wonderful to use against Ganon.

Also updated with Tony's videos. Will critique him when I have the chance.

Matt07

Smash Master
Updated.

Hippie/everyone else you didn't really make too many mistakes I mean nothing on your playstyle that could really hurt you against that Snake. It's always better to post matches when you lose because others can give you advice on why you lost, and how you could improve/mistakes that you do in the match-up. When you win it's...harder to critique because you obviously won the match, and don't need to be critiqued on. Unless if it's a very close match then sure.

Punishment Divine did you just use the tag KirinBlaze? Or do you want us to critique him?

Tony;
Match 1
2:08 your being predictable when coming on the edge, which got you u-smashed, mix it up.
Other then that use more n-air when your at high percents because it they clank, or he will eat a n-air, and also d-air is a better choice then Cape when latching off Pikmin.
Match 2
I'll get around to finish this later.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
LOOOOOOOOL. **** yo **** PD lmfao XD. And nah Matt, that was Kirin's he was just trollin me lmfao xD.

and yes l know, that's why l felt bad for winning, but most of the time, my vids are always being uploaded when l feel like lm not at my peak point >.>. Besides, YOUR SUPPOSE TO MAKE FUN MAH MARIO AND SAY HE'S TOTALLY ****T and how cheap l got for those 2 spikes <333

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
HAY LOOK. My latest Mario so far up to date, even though Im winning, since most people upload vids of me losing LOL, but anyways a up to date of my mario, just want you guise what you think of so far, and shiznit. Btw he was a terrible player anyways <3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt__PxyDqic
Hippy. To make it blunt, your getting punished for the same things over and over. I didn't notice a single OoS aerial/up-B on your part (wasn't exactly watching too much for jab-dsmash but I'm sure you did them... mabye). And you would jump right in his range so he could hit you with a mortar slide (which I saw at least 3 times.) Your use of Fair is... interesting, to say the least. I'd say you used it MUCH more than you should've, since there were better options in the beginning than the fullhop Fairs.

My advice. Watch the game, see what's getting you punished, and utilize you defensive options more. I'd also weigh your options midmatch to see what the safest move in every option would be. However, the safest option isn't always the best one, using a bad move can catch your opponent off-guard too. Also, make more use of the Dthrow tech chase against Snake, there were multiple opprotunities to pivot grab or (OMG) up-b. Why do I seem to be the only Mario that likes to dthrow -> up-b?

Luckily, I'm able to read videos and see habits, so I was able to give you advice regardless of the fact that you won.

Top Bottom