• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Why does everyone that plays Yoshi think he isn't crap?
Because everyone who plays a certain character doesn't think their character is crap. That's just natural.
Although I like playing with Yoshi, I have made a lot of bad experiences with him, and the Yoshi player I had in my tourney didn't really come far.

Lord Ba'al

Smash Rookie
Well, I could tell you why I think as such:

I go to another big forum very often...and I'm known to be one of the best Yoshi users there (actually there are hardly any other Yoshi users there, so I guess that automatically puts me at the top), but people say that I could possibly be one of the best Brawl players on that site.

Now, I dont think I'm the best over there, as much as I'd like to be. However, non-Yoshi users over there ackowledge Yoshi as a stronger character than they initially realized just because of their experiences with me.

But just keep in mind: This is only my opinion, just as it's your opinion that Yoshi sucks

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
389 Conspiracy Avenue
Overthinking, OH
You love us too much to pull any sort of trickery on us, right? Right? Right????

Different topic: A few questions I have about the list. Firstly, why is there no bottom tier? We have a top tier, so why not a bottom tier? Secondly, I assumed that Olimar would be high tier (even if he's at the very bottom of it.) The only edgehogging that works against him is when the edgehogger has invincibility frames. Otherwise, they can be easily stage spiked. Yeah, he's floaty, but he has damage, range, and KO ability, so doesn't he deserve to be higher? (I could just be being biased for my main, but w/e)
Even if you're hanging there with no invincibility frames, he still just hits you and misses the ledge. At worst (if you're at high percentage) you both die. If you aren't in stage spikable range, you take a few points of damage and get a ridiculously easy KO.

Or you can just use the invincibility frames.

Maybe because he isn't? He's tough to play, and I'm guessing most of the people who criticize him haven't played a good Yoshi.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
389 Conspiracy Avenue
Overthinking, OH
You just eliminated the serious tone of my comment without even using proper sentence structure. This is the kind of power only back-roomers have. Case and point.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Because they're a hell of a lot more familiar with the ins and outs of the character and know how to contextualize his strengths, weaknesses, and overall match-ups a lot better than someone whose experience with Yoshi consists of possibly seeing one or two decent Yoshi matches.

I seriously laugh my *** off when I hear people talk about how "easy" it is to gimp Yoshi, for instance.

SlickSlicer

Smash Apprentice
Because they're a hell of a lot more familiar with the ins and outs of the character and know how to contextualize his strengths, weaknesses, and overall match-ups a lot better than someone whose experience with Yoshi consists of possibly seeing one or two decent Yoshi matches.

I seriously laugh my *** off when I hear people talk about how "easy" it is to gimp Yoshi, for instance.
I used to think that, but his recovery is better than people think. MUCH better. There are tons of characters with worse recovery.

I still don't think yoshi is all that good, but he does have some nice aerial moves and some good mindgames. His b+up is still pretty terrible despite the recovery boost it gives him (and it does give him one, for all the doubters), but he can be good with the right people playing him. Just like all characters. He still isn't going to top many tourneys, which is really what tiers are all about. They only apply to one on one matches on a limited amount of stages with no items. They're only relevant when considering a slice of Brawl, not the entire game and all its features.

Lord Ba'al

Smash Rookie
I used to think that, but his recovery is better than people think. MUCH better. There are tons of characters with worse recovery.

I still don't think yoshi is all that good, but he does have some nice aerial moves and some good mindgames. His b+up is still pretty terrible despite the recovery boost it gives him (and it does give him one, for all the doubters), but he can be good with the right people playing him. Just like all characters. He still isn't going to top many tourneys, which is really what tiers are all about. They only apply to one on one matches on a limited amount of stages with no items. They're only relevant when considering a slice of Brawl, not the entire game and all its features.
His B + up attack isnt too bad if used right.
It takes some practice to learn how to throw it correctly each time. Even I still mess up about 40% of the time, but it's quite useful for the other 60%

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman

his b+up is like his best move...

Lord Ba'al

Smash Rookie
i allways pick low ......then attempt to astound tourney noobs with a low tier main
That actually works. Some tourney players have had major fits after loosing to Yoshi, which is a big reason why I think the tier list is slightly unfair. Not every match in the world is recorded, and the people who made it dont know how often low tier characters can win, even if both players are equally skilled.

SlickSlicer

Smash Apprentice
his b+up is like his best move...
explain this one to me, if you don't mind.

His B + up attack isnt too bad if used right.
It takes some practice to learn how to throw it correctly each time. Even I still mess up about 40% of the time, but it's quite useful for the other 60%
I still think almost any one of his other moves is better. Although the spinning egg move is a bit predictable and probably not as good against really good people.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643

Yoshi is one of the few characters that stands a reasonable chance against Meta. He also has a chain-grab-into-gimp on both Meta Knight AND Snake. In and of itself, I'd say that puts him in a very good standing.

Yoshi's pokes are VERY decent, both on the ground and in the air, and his newly-discovered wavedash makes him all the more of a contender.

Do I think he'll be dominating tournaments? Hell, no. But I also think that it's ludicrous to say that he sucks...

...Unless you're playing as Marth or Lucario. :(

Oh, and his Up B is one of the more vital implements in his arsenal. I'd shudder to think where his game would be if HE was the one that needed to approach every match.

The main thing to bear in mind with his Egg Toss is that it does damage, forced a lot of (though not all) characters to approach or go defensive, is fantastic for spacing as well as setting up for chain grabs and other rushes, and also dictates where an opponent is going to go. Remember that with the Egg Toss, the direction the egg ISN'T going is every bit as important as where it is. Many is the time I've intentionally thrown eggs too far up to force an aerial player to come at me on the ground.

Lord Ba'al

Smash Rookie

I still think almost any one of his other moves is better. Although the spinning egg move is a bit predictable and probably not as good against really good people.
*I* dont think it's his best move, but it's still very useful.

His eggroll is indeed predictable, but if used at a close enough range, it's not as easy to see it coming

studly

Smash Ace
That actually works. Some tourney players have had major fits after loosing to Yoshi, which is a big reason why I think the tier list is slightly unfair. Not every match in the world is recorded, and the people who made it dont know how often low tier characters can win, even if both players are equally skilled.
yep yep......Tier is all about potential....its not even a definite thing either...its no big deal where on the list your character is.....you just have to know about your main's personal match ups...and if you can find things around the bad ones...then you have effectively eliminated your tier disadvantage

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
This question is pointed towards the SBR as to the positioning of wario and marth at the top of the high tier.
Looking at ankoku's tournament rankings(If they are an accurate source) it seems as those two have very similar tournament placement as falco and Game and Watch. And also from many match up thread that I have looked at from all across smashboards, marth's match-ups are extremly good only failing to ROB,Snake metaknight. Simply just an opinion that I would like anwsered by a knowledgeable smasher

peeup

Smash Lord
double posts ftw?

Yoshi's egg throw is invaluable when recovering (for instance, if you don't want to use your second jump b/c of footstooling), and it can also force the opponent to approach/airdodge/move in a certain direction. Egg roll is less usefull, but because it is so rarely used, if you want to get the opponent out of your face, an egg roll can knock them away or just be used to retreat.

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO LUCARIO IS HIGH TIER.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAY CAPTAIN FALCON IS LOW TIER.

Personally, I would say this is pretty much right on. Except you should shrink the top tier and add a bottom. I'm gonna guess Fox didn't make high because of the ridiculous chain grabs in brawl.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman

egg toss w/ tap jump off gives yoshi's recovery a lot of horizontal reach, his second jump gives him vertical. Its also a very good move to spam, it can keep your opponent at bay and also rack up damage. It not that hard to use IMO, you just have to know how the trajectory work and that the longer you hold B, the farther it goes. There's also egg toss slide and edge cancelled eggs which are very useful. Not to mention the range on yoshi's other moves really suck, and he doesn't have disjointed hitboxes like marth. so a good ranged move like egg toss is really important

ChaoticSamus

Smash Apprentice
Okay a few things:

1) Big Top Tier this year
2) I think Zamus should have been higher
3) I wish PT was higher
4) I wih Link was higher
5) Marth should have been Top Tier
6) Falco Top Tier again??!!!1
7) Fox should be high tier.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Okay a few things:

1) Big Top Tier this year
2) I think Zamus should have been higher
3) I wish PT was higher
4) I wih Link was higher
5) Marth should have been Top Tier
6) Falco Top Tier again??!!!1
7) Fox should be high tier.
Wishful much huh?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You just eliminated the serious tone of my comment without even using proper sentence structure. This is the kind of power only back-roomers have. Case and point.
I'm ****ing amazing, aren't I?

Really, if we WANTED MK banned... we'd ban him. But right now, even though I'd like him gone myself becfause I hate him, there isn't the evidence. We don't need a tier list to do that.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
There are only two surprises here. I had never heard anything about Falco, I didn't think he would be high teir at all. Also, it is surprising that Lucas is low tier, I have two good friends who are really good with Lucas. Albeit we have never gone to tournies, but I think there is lots of potential with lucas. I guess this is a challenge then, perhaops the next time they come over we will make a combo vid *wink wink*

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
egg toss w/ tap jump off gives yoshi's recovery a lot of horizontal reach, his second jump gives him vertical.
You don't need tap jump off for this, it just makes it a little easier to do without. I always use tap jump, though, and I can consistently use his mid-air up B before using his second jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom