• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Should/Will Metaknight be banned?" Thread (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XienZo

Smash Lord
I thought MK beat Falco with haxed Plank ledgecamping, which I was told to be one of Falco's biggest weaknesses.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Ooh, I love how two threads that came up independently, the ledge camp hax and MK ban thread both are reaching similar conclusion.

And with each accusing the other one to be the game-breaker.

felix0-9

Smash Cadet
hmm... MK is more broken than the SP I threw at the wall when the DS came out... But then again, is it really fair to people who mained MK before the tier list came out if they have to choose a different character because this is happening? I theoretically support banning him, but practically, I don't know.

Kookie

Smash Apprentice
hmm... MK is more broken than the SP I threw at the wall when the DS came out... But then again, is it really fair to people who mained MK before the tier list came out if they have to choose a different character because this is happening? I theoretically support banning him, but practically, I don't know.
Hypothetically, if we don't go ahead and ban him, then the other 75% of people that main other characters will have to choose a different character to compete. Which sounds more reasonable?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i was about to ask that same question mmac...

can you do those for other characters?

diddy comes real close to even against MK on FD tho

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Back when I mained Marth, I defeated dmbrandon twice and teh_spamerer once(and always took matches in other sets) in Marth vs Meta Knight, and both players not only used Meta Knight but were also superior players at the time. I won anyways.

Then Sethlon sucks against Meta Knight.

-Falco can CG combo him to ~60%,
-Lasers force Meta Knight to approach and they beat the tornado.
-Falco's u-smash kills Meta Knight at ~105% with good DI, and f-smash kills even earlier and beats the tornado and most of Meta Knight's moves.
-If Meta Knight hogs the edge when Falco recovers, Falco can f-b on the stage and be safe. Meta Knight's only real way of punishing Falco's recovery is the tornado, which won't send Falco back off the stage.

I can only assume that Sethlon didn't camp enough.

The vast majority of top players on the East Coast don't want Meta Knight banned from what I can tell, and the hosts aren't banning him. I guess this debate won't really apply to me much. It will just discourage me from traveling OOS.

@Guilty Gear: The Smash community needs to get ***** by my Slayer. GG is amazing.
Yeah... Sethlon, one of the best falcos in a state plagued by MK, places near the top, great player, lots of MK experience, mmhm, must suck against MK. >_> Thing is, how do you hit MK with a laser if he's planking? I mean, do tell, please. And while we're on the subject, tell me how a MK edge-camping can be safely forced away? Oh... wait... he's amazing at gimping... crap, oh well. =/

SerpentxTongue666

Smash Rookie
take a look at every major tourney...a metaknight has almost always won.

btw excuse my icon..i hate metaknight and dont play him nemore so ya.

but seriously hes toooo good. only futile can win against metas cuz hes god gifted.

Mmac

Smash Lord
i was about to ask that same question mmac...

can you do those for other characters?

diddy comes real close to even against MK on FD tho
I could... Just depends on what characters....

Also what makes Final Destination so special? He could probably do just as well on Smashville, Pictochat, and Pokemon Stadium 1/2

XienZo

Smash Lord
FD is basically a shooting range. And thus, is one of the few that can bring out MK's lack of projectiles. And no platforms=less air battles=less happy MKs.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I could... Just depends on what characters....

Also what makes Final Destination so special? He could probably do just as well on Smashville, Pictochat, and Pokemon Stadium 1/2
Funny you should say that.

Actually, the best Diddy's are evolving past relying on FD. In fact, some (Le_THieN in particular), chooses to stage strike FD when playing as Diddy now.

We are learning to maximize stages with Platforms. Particularly through the maximization of Z-grabbing items (bananas) and general stage control.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Z-grabbing blew my mind when I saw Diddy's doing it. I was still airdodging into stuff lmao

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Wait, people never knew you could grab items without airdodging by pressing Z? Wow, and here I thought it was just common knowledge since it's the most commonly used button to grab items out of the air in Melee..

Tenki

Smash Hero
No, just me. I always just airdodged (or airdodge+A) to catch stuff, and only used Z to drop stuff lol.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Wait, people never knew you could grab items without airdodging by pressing Z? Wow, and here I thought it was just common knowledge since it's the most commonly used button to grab items out of the air in Melee..
I played enough Peach in Melee to know how useful Z-grabbing is.

I'll admit that the novelty of being able to attack and grab an item at the same time had to be worth exploring for a while. But it didn't take long for me to go straight back to Z-grabbing.

To anybody who hadn't played Melee a lot, it probably wasn't immediately obvious.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Yeah... Sethlon, one of the best falcos in a state plagued by MK, places near the top, great player, lots of MK experience, mmhm, must suck against MK. >_> Thing is, how do you hit MK with a laser if he's planking? I mean, do tell, please. And while we're on the subject, tell me how a MK edge-camping can be safely forced away? Oh... wait... he's amazing at gimping... crap, oh well. =/
Regional bias.

I've never seen Sethlon anywhere but TX results threads, thus it's hard to judge how good he is against all MKs.

Falco can be planked by the entire cast, it's NOT MK specific.

DeathxTouch

Smash Apprentice
Can someone tell me who or what makes this official. I don't know whether or not MLG will ever be hosting brawl as a main event and so I would like to know if its the smash community that decides if MK is banned or another outside committee.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Lol our state isn't plagued by MK.
One MK in the top 5 which is myself.
Like 4 in the top 20. Which one just mains all of top tier...
We have alot of variety in our top players ranging from top to mid tier.

Sethlon does have some trouble in the MK matchup. He's been really off his game lately.
I played him just last weekend and he's seems to have picked it up. Our matches in the winners finals went fairly close.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Can someone tell me who or what makes this official.
It was made by someone from the SBR, who are considered "official" around here.

I don't know whether or not MLG will ever be hosting brawl as a main event and so I would like to know if its the smash community that decides if MK is banned or another outside committee.
Whoever is hosting a tournament can make whatever rules they wish. However, a majority of TOs follow the recommendations of the SBR, so if the SBR says MK is banned, it is likely that TOs will follow.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Lol our state isn't plagued by MK.
One MK in the top 5 which is myself.
Like 4 in the top 20. Which one just mains all of top tier...
We have alot of variety in our top players ranging from top to mid tier.

Sethlon does have some trouble in the MK matchup. He's been really off his game lately.
I played him just last weekend and he's seems to have picked it up. Our matches in the winners finals went fairly close.
?

Last TX tournament you played in, all top 3 were MK.

Sethlon 6-0'd Stiltz in the finals one time at like HOBO 8 or 9. 2 tournaments later he was getting destroyed by MK. MK players just learned the matchup.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Eh, no, Yoshi counterpicks Yoshi's Island Melee, Castle Siege, or Corneria
Banned stages. Awesome.

I've seen one of our top Falcos get Planked by a Dedede, and Falco supposedly destroys Dedede. Ledgecamping needs to be banned.

Dojo

Smash Champion
First 2 were. Stop exaggerating fool. Seth got 3rd.
And I guarantee DMG would've gotten at least 2nd had he not left.

I understand that's pretty much what happened.
You still can't deny he has indeed been off his game.

Either way, all any MK has to do is be smart and learn the matchup and it's GG against any other character.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I switched to MK and Pit is now my secondary for when MK isnt needed. I did that and got second place at my school tourny (I know most are scrubs) but there were at least 4 good ppl. Dave (melee pro) and his brother and some other ppl. Dave was the best and we to square off with a MK ditto. I think MK needs to be banned. I know the chances of winning without being a good MK are slim to none.

How are they banned? They're listed as Counterpicks in the Ruleset. Infact Castle Siege is Semi Neutral
Your allowed to ban 2 stages

Mmac

Smash Lord
Your allowed to ban 2 stages
Ah.... that's what you meant... But I thought you could only ban one stage....

Besides there's 3 Stages and only 2 that you can ban....

Edit: Wait... Wrong person... stupid misleading Pit avatar!

Inui

Banned via Warnings
How are they banned? They're listed as Counterpicks in the Ruleset. Infact Castle Siege is Semi Neutral
The SBR's ruleset is abysmal and includes many stages that clearly break the game and/or deserve no place in competitive play. Atlantic North follows a much stricter ruleset.

I know the chances of winning without being a good MK are slim to none.
Bum took 1st at the biggest East Coast tournament going 100% Donkey Kong. The other characters in the top eight were Dedede, Falco, Zero Suit Samus, Diddy Kong, and Game and Watch. No Meta Knights.

GofG

Smash Champion
The SBR's ruleset is abysmal and includes many stages that clearly break the game and/or deserve no place in competitive play. Atlantic North follows a much stricter ruleset.
Inui, you fight with the rage of Yuna! Perhaps you can be Yuna's replacement in his mysterious absence!

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
First 2 were. Stop exaggerating fool. Seth got 3rd.
And I guarantee DMG would've gotten at least 2nd had he not left.

I understand that's pretty much what happened.
You still can't deny he has indeed been off his game.

Either way, all any MK has to do is be smart and learn the matchup and it's GG against any other character.
I thought d4ba got 3rd? Shows how much attention I pay :p

Bum took 1st at the biggest East Coast tournament going 100% Donkey Kong. The other characters in the top eight were Dedede, Falco, Zero Suit Samus, Diddy Kong, and Game and Watch. No Meta Knights.
That's great that your area doesn't have good MK players, but people pick up MK here because they want to win. I wish I lived in an area like yours... I really do. :(

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Inui, you fight with the rage of Yuna! Perhaps you can be Yuna's replacement in his mysterious absence!
I met Yuna twice and teamed with him all weekend at Otakon '06.

He's so hot.

That's great that your area doesn't have good MK players, but people pick up MK here because they want to win. I wish I lived in an area like yours... I really do.
Shadow is extremely good. He took 1st in teams with Snakeee at that same tournament. He didn't get top 8 in singles. All the other Meta Knights placed low or didn't even survive pools.

Mmac

Smash Lord
So lets ban stages that actually do hinder him from most characters, but keep stages like Frigate Orpheon and Rainbow Cruise that pretty much makes him accelerate his dominance tenfold!

Gee, no wonder he's broken, your banning his vulnerabilities!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom