• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Snake Video Critique Thread!

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
someone critique plz?

someone uploaded two matches of me playing, so i figured get a critique off their selection :V

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOsSgk02vpw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrIs06cb9Hc&feature=related
I watched Match 2 (Snake v MK)

Overall things I noticed:

Good, effective camping
You blew yourself up a lot. When you and MK got hit, it's fine, he dies early. But try to avoid just blowing yourself up
A few times, after whiffing a move (grab) you grabbed like 3 more times when he was too far.
Good games, these were friendlies? Kinda funny

0:38 - Niice kill
1:35 - Great read/kill
2:22 - Could've Uaired again after he'd AD'd
2:37 - You DI'd the Dthrow and teched... the same direction twice in a row

SolarSkurge

Smash Journeyman
Like I said, just screwing around. I can tech fine, it's just that I knew I could get my self out of falcons range if I just took the chance. Thanks for the advice. I'll upload some serious gameplay later.

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
Ye, first nice match, I don't think I need to tell you some obvious unsafe things you do because of your playstyle.

Have you watched GIMR's video on RCO lag? Take advantage

If you lay a nade right on the edge and he doesn't perfectly sweetspot, it'll blow him up.

Spotdodge habit got your shield broken

Nothing really specific, although I liked your grenade traps

Doesn't Keitaro play Falco? Or am I thinking of someone else

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
I've recently underwent a phase where I hardcore camped, but after a while my crew mate brought up a good point. He said that by relying solely on camping, I'm not learning anything new when it comes to situations and that I don't know how to respond. He says when I gain control, I just reset it by going into a camping position again. So I'm going aggro for the sake of learning situations against different characters, no matter how hard I get bodied.

Me playing a D3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSaXg5KZ7ms
Me playing a Falco: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA_upZcD-qs

0:37 RUCKING FAPE LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbrh749RbI4

animus186

Smash Rookie
@ False:

sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but i just had to ask (both questions referencing your game against keitaro, my apologies if they're stupid) -

1. how do you seem to drop grenades when you're holding them in midair? is it possible to just drop a nade in midair, after pulling it out in midair with B?

2. i notice that when you pull out and hold onto (by holding down B) a grenade while grounded, you often walk your opponent with your back facing them. is there a specific advantage to doing this? wouldn't it be better to face them? (since you have the option of shieldgrabbing or something?)

thanks in advance!

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
1. Not that I know of. Where have you seen me do this? The only way I could think of dropping grenades would be to z-drop it once you're holding it.

2. and yes you should always face them, really. I'm just being stupid and trying to be flashy.

animus186

Smash Rookie
Ah well, i see. i was referring to 0:16 in your video, but i guess that's just a z-drop to b-reversal?

lol i wish snake could like... air dodge while holding a grenade in midair (with B) to auto-drop it. that would be pretty useful. >.<

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Okay, I just wanna know something. Am I sexy enough? In this vid, you can see I enjoy my epic combos and such. Can anyone give me any tips to better myself?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uex5yN_-6A&feature=related
I watched your earlier serious matches the other day. Your not good enough at pressuring opponents. You don't use grenades right. You barely ever cooked them and rarely used them to control opponents options. Try discovering ways to use explosives to limit opponents options much more. Experiment with that for a while. That's my advice.

SolarSkurge

Smash Journeyman
I understand that, but I'm not really trying to pressure somebody in a match where I'm just trying to pull combos. I never take matches seriously..well, THAT seriously unless I'm at a tourney. Still, I'll take that advice and learn from it, thanks.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
First off never start jumping and nading falco. Second don't approach till 40-50%. I usually wait till like 46-50. I am also able to rack up at least 30-50% on falco in that time by camping him back. Don't spotdodge when falcos roll behind you. That's a fairly common baiting tactic.You should know that though :(. I'm not sure if u were testing AD-->buffer x move this match or you just have a bad AD habit against falco. Even when it was failing you kept doing it. If u weren't testing, DON'T DO IT!

1:41--really false...really? :urg:

Again, this time you had percent lead, make falco be much proactive than he was to land a cg. You did a bad roll that's why you got grabbed. Just stay away with crouches nades and c4s till you reach ~50%.. Falco gets way too much potential reward from the cg.

I also suggest you learn to sdi the cg-->spike.

Don't miss super obvious rolls like at 4:23

Uptitl his aerial approaches. He kept Dairing or bairing you shield. Utilt him b4 he even does that. It's range. Abuse it. I say utilt his aerial approaches, only cuz he didn't mix in SHAD approaches or empty shorthops at all. If he went towards you in the air he attacked nearly every time.

For the love of god( if it's tournament) which this isn't PLEASE DON'T DO 5:14 AGAIN. Just grab the darn ledge man.

Ok for tips not directly related to the match.

Learn to react to phantasm better. It is a move that is pretty easy to react to with certain moves. Dtilt i find the easiest. As far as the most reward goes...utilt and BPG obvious phantasms. Speaking of BPG, DON'T FORGET WE CAN AIR RELEASE TO REGRAB FALCO AND AIR RELEASE TO DASH ATTACK!

Now follow me here...if you BPG his phantasm he gets RCO lag on his next landing. Which means if you BPG it you can air release-->buffer dash--->utilt. Just to give u more options.

Also at high(er) % if you grab him near the ledge/not in the center of the stage. Bthrow/fhtrow him off the stage, lay a mine(you'll learn the best positioning from his position, it'll come with experience in the mu) and auto snap the ledge which is done by a QC motion towards the ledge. You know that though, i'm sure.

How to camp falco:

Sv Platform, simply amazing, i'll make falcos rage with this thing.

Non-platform strategy:

There's your normal grenade shield drop grab crouch cook throw.

I also pesonally love to DJ over head throw cuz it lands right behind falco. That's the key to camping falco. Make the nades land BEHIND HIM. Also try to cook them to the last second cuz if he reflects them then he takes x2 dmg and knock back than normal. Also another neat one is get a nade crouch towards him and shield if he phatnasms (blows him up) or roll away with it near him and throw another one while he's focusing on that one.

But i just keep it simple and time myself in between lasers. And by the time i'm past cg% he's already lost 1/3 or 1/2 a stock from my nades.

Last piece of advice, spaced tilts are amazing in this mu cuz his OoS options aren't good enough to deal with them that well. Anything he does you can react to for the most part. Use more c4/mines. You always want them on the stage. The stage control it provides in this mu is too good.

I understand that, but I'm not really trying to pressure somebody in a match where I'm just trying to pull combos. I never take matches seriously..well, THAT seriously unless I'm at a tourney. Still, I'll take that advice and learn from it, thanks.
If you land a combo without there being effective pressuring going on...they bad. Or they REALLY REALLY WIFFED. The better you get at pressuring opponents the more creative you can be with it at the same time. Just saying not playing seriously isn't much of an excuse for ignoring something so necessary. Especially when it could lead to much cooler stuff in the first place.

SolarSkurge

Smash Journeyman
I thought I did a decent job of it at 0:50 on that ditto. I mean, there was nothing my friend could've done there except maybe Di'd and z dropped the grenade, but he doesnt know how to do either of those.

SolarSkurge

Smash Journeyman
Good god. Your pressure game was amazing, and you never stay still long enough for him to trap you in. Wow. I'm not too great but I think whoever else watches will think the same thing. Also I just love seeing matches like that, where there's ALWAYS some action going on.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO44TXi6BiA

Still waiting on a proper critique for this.
Choose your ftilts wisely.
Don't fall for stupid **** like running right into a c4 or a fast fall upair from ledge hop length. Ik you can keep track of them so don't let it happen. Now not saying you aren't gonna get hit by them. But you literally ran into them a few times.

Learn to counter camp much much more effectively. This is very beneficial in dittos. And start using camping in the ditto.

Many times you let him gain momentum and take the lead from you. One way i like to cool ppls jets is start going into camping mode. This forces them to either slow down or camp back. Both are beneficial and can keep a huge % comeback from happening.

imo laying mines on platforms is better in the ditto.

Keep using dash attack and boost pivot grabs to cover landings. Keep the pressure on him when he's in the air. Learn when mortar is the right choice. Many time because u decided to get a mortar in the air it let mvd off much easier than he should have. Covering landings with grabs and DA is much more effective in most situations.

SolarSkurge

Smash Journeyman
Jage,I watched your first match.you've got some potential,but try not to stand still too much when you're up against a good d3. Also,if he's coming from below or the front,Nair and Dair is probably a good tactic.

:phone:

Top Bottom