• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official South Carolina Thread

Tero.

Smash Champion
I like how roxy brung up Amsah vs Jman. Roxy show me 5 matches of camping/planking in Melee. Oh yeah, there's only 4 matches in the entire 9 years that Melee has been out.

Tero vs some Fox

Amsah vs Jman

Pink Shinobi vs RockCrock

and Tag$ vs Chibo

theres a **** ton for brawl tho.
Sup, I've got more than 5 matches all by myself.

Purple

Hi guys!
You do realize that my entire thesis of this conversation was that both games are comPetitive in their own way right? The Problem is you want to say that Melee is the greatest, which is an oPinion, I'm just giving you reasons why that's not entirely the case.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I can't see how brawl is a good game, BECAUSE IT'S NOT. It is very competitive, even more so than Melee, but does that make it good? No, no it doesn't.

Brawlers get mad because everyone besides them think thier game is bad, because it is bad. But it's successful so why care? Gucci Mane, Oj da juiceman, and waka are TERRIBLE rappers but are they still successful? Yes, very successful.

I hate the "its your opinion" argument, it pisses me off. Everything must be great in your mind then, right? It's my opinion that Super Man 64 is just as good as Batman: Arkham Asylum, does that make it just as good as Arkham Asylum? Absolutely not, Super man 64 gets blown out the water. Just because you like a bad game doesn't mean it's as good as a good game, you just like a bad game.

and I don't respect Brawlers opinions anyways because nine times out of ten you guys don't even know how to play melee, and never even got past the fundamentles, but I can tell you right now that 99% of Melee players have given Brawl a chance a most likely learned how to play it. I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard brawlers say " I don't play Melee because I'm terrible at it" which just translates to me as "It was too hard to learn how to SHFFL so I quit and played a easier game", so that basically means they've never played Melee in the first place. Melee's like Marvel, It's not fun until you master it, but since most people are too lazy to put time into anything they just play the game that take two weeks to learn all the techs and call it day. So I don't respect Brawlers opinions because y'all have never played the real melee anyways.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I like plenty of bad games that I know are bad. Hell Samurai Warriors 2 is my 2nd favorite game of ALL TIME but it's just a sub-par game to everyone else.

While I agree almost entirely with your post Eric, there ARE people who just straight up prefer Brawl, people who played Melee well and then played Brawl well. Reflex comes to mind as he teamed with me for numerous Melee tournaments, always doing well with low tiers. He likes Brawl, though he admits it is very different. But he likes it. So, as wack as it may sound, there are some people who just flat out like Brawl.

So it's never good to generalize things like people who called Melee players (tourney***s) and ****, I guess they do that in Brawl too. Writing off every Brawl player's opinion is of course unfair, just the same as when Brawl players hate on Melee players...

At Pound 4... The 1st day was just Melee, across the whole venue. Then when Brawl came in 2nd day, they literally halved the room available, and it felt like the entire tournament was split. It didn't look like either side wanted anything to do with the other. They didn't seem to belong. I for one don't think hosting Brawl/Melee together is a good idea, but whatever. It was a weird feeling.

PS : Eric when you gettin' back to SC?

Purple

Hi guys!
I can't see how brawl is a good game,
Okay, stop right there, your opinion is entire biased right when you say...

BECAUSE IT'S NOT.
Yeah, as a game, brawl is amazing, there is so much you can do in brawl outside from a competitive perspective.
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/supersmashbros/review.html
http://wii.ign.com/articles/856/856580p1.html
http://www.gamerankings.com/wii/928518-super-smash-bros-brawl/index.html

here are three seperate reviews, all of them giving brawl superb ratings. Stop thinking from a competitive aspect for a second, are you really saying brawl as a whole, is not a good party game as well
?
It is very competitive, even more so than Melee, but does that make it good? No, no it doesn't.
Now you're getting into a biased subject. 'What is competitive'. Usually games that are very fun, can end up being very competitive, regardless of how busted the game may be. You can see this in a multitude of games, ultimate mortal kombat 3, capcom vs snk 2, marvel vs capcom 1 and 2, king of fighters, hell, mario party 4 :p. If rules are set to make the game fair-play, and people find it fun, it is competitive. The idea of a game being more or less competitive is entirely bias from person to person. As a melee player, you like melee more than brawl, meaning, in your eyes, melee is more competitive than brawl to you. Games you don't enjoy, won't be competitive. Games you don't like, won't feel competitive to you. Simple as that.

Brawlers get mad because everyone besides them think thier game is bad, because it is bad.
Not everyone thinks brawl is bad. I've heard of sf players asking to get into the brawl scene. I remember Dogysamich telling me about people asking him about brawl at other tournaments. Regardless of if Dogy can vouch for me on that regard, you can't say EVERYONE besides brawl players think the game is bad, because not everyone has played it. Get out of your melee circle of people, and ask everyone in the world if brawl is bad, then get back to me.

But it's successful so why care? Gucci Mane, Oj da juiceman, and waka are TERRIBLE rappers but are they still successful? Yes, very successful.
This is irrelvant, it goes into your opinion of what is rap now. Having a beat, and throwing some rhymes here and there, is rapping. They made hits that people enjoy to listen, regardless of what you feel is rap or not, they are rapping, and they are making money for it. Whether it's good or bad rap, is once again, your opinion.

I hate the "its your opinion" argument, it pisses me off.
It is, what it is.

Everything must be great in your mind then, right?
You seem to be attacking me directly. No, not everything is good to me. I hate most mainstream rap for example. However at the same time, I don't get pissed off at people who like Soulja Boy just because they like Soulja Boy. There are redeeming factors to him, and because of that I can accept why they would like him.

It's my opinion that Super Man 64 is just as good as Batman: Arkham Asylum, does that make it just as good as Arkham Asylum?
Now you're making tihs a melee vs brawl argument, just wanted to let you know.

Absolutely not, Super man 64 gets blown out the water. Just because you like a bad game doesn't mean it's as good as a good game, you just like a bad game.
Okay, so what makes Brawl bad? Not competitively, but as a whole, what makes Brawl bad.

and I don't respect Brawlers opinions anyways because nine times out of ten you guys don't even know how to play melee
Idiotic, most brawl players game from the melee scene

but I can tell you right now that 99% of Melee players have given Brawl a chance a most likely learned how to play it.
Idiotic statistic that isn't true. Melee players not only have given brawl a chance and potentially went back to melee, some even continued playing brawl.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard brawlers say " I don't play Melee because I'm terrible at it" which just translates to me as "It was too hard to learn how to SHFFL so I quit and played a easier game", so that basically means they've never played Melee in the first place.
Why would you want to play a game you are bad at? So you can continue being bad at it? Not all Brawl players played when Melee just came out, if they did, the game would've been easier to pick up. However, they are living in a time of where things are much easier to pick up and learn. Hence why the learning curve is hard to get into.

But I digress. Most brawl players just don't like melee. Some people really are just ******* and don' feel like learning the game, but not all of them. I know one person personally who doesn't like how melee plays as much as brawl, even though he is fairly good at melee.

Melee's like Marvel, It's not fun until you master it,
Marvel is fun if you play casually with friends. Playing competitively is completely different.

but since most people are too lazy to put time into anything they just play the game that take two weeks to learn all the techs and call it day.
Being technical doesn't make a good player. That still takes valuable time and effort.

So I don't respect Brawlers opinions because y'all have never played the real melee anyways

So, brawl is only competitive brawl, and melee is only competitive melee? **** Tourney***, think about casualness for a second. Brawl is an amazing game from a casual perspective. It's not that hard to wrap around your head people making rules for a game they enjoy and making it competitive. It's not that hard to understand melee players not liking Brawl, because it's not what they expected. It's also not hard to understand Brawl players not liking melee because it's not what they like to play.

Tl;dr - your arguments are idiotic and I shouldn't have written this wall.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Brawl is possibly the most fun party game I've ever played, yes I forgot to mention that my bad. I'll repy later because thats a long *** post.

Also, insulting me isn't helping your arguement so you can stop calling me an idiot.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Brawl is a fun party game, but it is a poor competitive game and is usually not very fun competitively (it can be at times, especially doubles). Melee is less fun of a party game, but it has more competitive elements and can be fun even when played competitively.

Of course, this is all opinion.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I didn't get the hype with Brawl. I played it for a month -- unlocking all the stuff, playing all the characters, trying the online... But after a while, it started feeling more like a chore than it did an actual game.

Then Brawl hacking came in. Got into that bandwagon, hacked it for about... a year, I think? Maybe less. Thanks to it, I managed to find a way of finding textures and such things in Melee... so, it all works. If it hadn't been for the Wii breaking down, I wouldn't've remembered just how grand Melee is.
But I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I hack Melee to make this great game better; I hacked Brawl because I would've stopped playing it almost the month after I got it -- quite literally, I hacked it to TRY and make it an enjoyable experience.

I can't imagine how many people would drop Brawl right on the spot if every homebrewed Wii were to crash, and become incapable of homebrew... Why play the ****ty "normal" Brawl when you've got +, or -, or upcoming M?

But yeah, Brawl IS one of the better Wii games out there.
But by Smash standards, it's the worst I've played. 3 games isn't a lot to go by, though.

Purple

Hi guys!
Brawl is possibly the most fun party game I've ever played, yes I forgot to mention that my bad. I'll repy later because thats a long *** post.

Also, insulting me isn't helping your arguement so you can stop calling me an idiot.
I could either call you an idiot, or ignorant. However I respect you being angry about that.

However, you're insulting me, saying you don't respect my opinion. Is that really that nice? ETWIST, you pretty much said what needed to be known, with games like these, especially games that have the same basic aspects, it's all equal, it's a matter of opinion of what game is actually better.

Steela, wtf are you talking about? That's one again opinion. A lot of people would still play brawl, they just wouldn't have music, or texture hacks, etc.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Everything is an opinion, nothings better than anything, everything equals itself.
not true.

Melee is definitely a better game competitively. Anyone who says otherwise is simply uninformed. Which game is more fun would definitely be an opinion.

And at least the SC thread is active....

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
A lot of noobs have fun playing Marvel (me included. I hardly ever remember anyone's moves either lol)

and there are a lot of noobs who play Melee. In Orangeburg SC there are at least 5 people who play very frequently, and they'll only play me for like 3 matches cause I 4 stock em. They play minus items and everything, but they... just don't get better.

So truly
It's fun even if you suck
unless you're playing someone who owns
then you hate it

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Twitch, are you serious? : ( I don't mind friendly MM's but I can't tell if you're jokin >_> lol

and yeah. I figured like 5 years on this site I might as well throw a lil' cash at em haha

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Woo, I'm in SC. No gamecube/wii or controller though. lol
and why does nobody live near myrtle beach. If you do, I'm up for brawl, melee, or 64.

Why is Melee a better game competitively?
Faster paced, more balanced, requires more precision (especially when recovering), more ATs (and more difficult to learn ATs), offense is actually viable, there is more (than zero) comboability, more character diversity at high level of play, and the community is very dedicated.

Brawl has more players and more characters....and I think that is all.

Top Bottom