• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Official Technical Issues Q&A thread (TV's, Controllers, gamecubes, etc)

TheGoat

Smash Ace
To anyone who has unscrewed screws when changing stuff-its helpful to dremel the screws and cut into the top part so you can just use normal single screwdrivers from then on, incase you dont have triwing screwdrivers.

ZelgadisQmega

Smash Apprentice
I have a few controllers that when plugged into the gamecube or a wii, shut the console off. The console wont turn on while the controller is plugged in. The controllers have not been modded in any way, I have no idea why this happens. Anyone ever come across this before?

Mind_Assassins

Smash Cadet
Is it possible that your controllers' jacks might be the problem? In that, the jack might somehow be giving off an electric current that's big enough to short out the gamecube/wii?

NTA

Smash Lord
eh lets see
i ordered this controller from this site with some points
controller works fine and all but compared to my other controller, it feels like ****.
i actually hear the z button pressing which i dont hear on my other one, and i have to press x a bit harder and the button goes down a bit farther then the y button. the y button on both controller feel the same but the x button feels different on the newer controller

thats it right there

DippnDots

Feral Youth
See how it's missing the nintendo brand above the start button?

Yeah, third party controllers are ****

NTA

Smash Lord
omg man thanks illl remember that
thats bs -_-
oh well i can at least sell it lolthing
but yeah i forgot about the nintendo
ill search amazon see if they have some

okay im gonna order two more controllers
how does this one look?
http://www.amazon.com/Official-Nint..._1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1292693000&sr=1-1
^ this one is a newer one but it has the nintendo brand on it and it has a longer cord than the original gc controller

http://www.amazon.com/Controller-Ni...QEFL/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1292692952&sr=8-6
^ i defintely plan on getting this one

http://www.amazon.com/Gamecube-Cont..._3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1292693000&sr=1-3
^ and of course this one

DippnDots

Feral Youth
lol no problem. I feel like an *** hole when I go into gamestop and ask if they have any, and I use this exact phrase, "nintendo brand gamecube controllers" only to get pointed 100% of the time to a bunch of third party controllers that are missing the logo or are mad cats >_>

Non-smashers just don't understand our dilemma =[

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
lol yah thats what people do. I went to a hardware store looking for a trigram screw driver and i was approached by some guy working there thinking "what's this kid doin here." I asked if they had one and he just pointed to a bunch of screwdrivers and said "uhhh" or some kind of grunt. I think the internet is sometimes the way to go

Gowa

Smash Apprentice
i remember reading there's some changes (subtle i think) in the white GC controller. does anyone remember what they are?

I know the cord is longer

makoforce

Smash Ace
lol no problem. I feel like an *** hole when I go into gamestop and ask if they have any, and I use this exact phrase, "nintendo brand gamecube controllers" only to get pointed 100% of the time to a bunch of third party controllers that are missing the logo or are mad cats >_>

Non-smashers just don't understand our dilemma =[
mad catz r so bad u cant even play brawl with them lol...

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
i remember reading there's some changes (subtle i think) in the white GC controller. does anyone remember what they are?

I know the cord is longer
They form factor of the shell is a bit different. They may not alight with say an older black or indigo controller shell depending on the version of controller.

The control stick box is snap on or something along those lines vs sauntered on.

The stick is actually a different size than the older controllers. I think its a bit longer or something like that.

As far as the stiffness etc, a brand new controller is how it is. You can break them in to suite your needs. If u want it looser than you take it apart, take off the control stick and then rotate the lil nub...alternate directions.

The white ones are fine.

Oh, I also remember that the different controller versions actualy have different sized casings and the triggers are a lil bit different. so if u plan on mixing shells make sure you get ones that are compatible.

IMO indigo is the best lol. I have like 5.

rhan

Smash Hero
Finally got my Dazzle working through Pinnacle. But what format should I use? Liek what gives it the best quality for videos?

Here's my first upload and a test video:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1826177373417

I think I had it formated in MPEG-1. Idk what all that means. But yeah. There were other options like MPEG-2, AVI, 3GP, etc.

You don't have to watch the whole video. It's just that the Frame rate looks a little off to me.

Answers greatly appreciated. <3

Edit: Also on the controller dilemma.

Black controllers are easier to break into but also easier to wear out.
Purple is durable.
White is stiff but legit.
Platinum are also durable but control stick may weaken in resistance over time.
Orange is about the same as black.
Purple/clear is about mix of black and platinum. It's easy to break into but the control stick will weaken resistance over time.

Most legit ones to buy are the white ones. Just because they're the newer versions and actually will cost less then the older ones.

And if you just want a new controller some Gamestops sell oldie NGC brand controllers for about $15. I know mine does at least.

7ak

Smash Journeyman
Official Gamecube Controller Stick

My trusty platinum Nintendo GC controller's stick is acting a little funny. I have serious trouble dashdancing consistently, kinda goes to a weird half moonwalk or just plain twirling in place slowly. As a player, I kind of like to just repeatedly dash or foxtrot or whatever it's called, don't do much dashdancing but that is how I test if the controller is working properly.

Anyways, it seems like although there are very few threads about controller repair/controller issues, it is definitely important to most players at some point and I think the topic deserves its own thread...........no offense to the video capture quality people.

I'm getting one of the new GCN controllers with supposedly slightly different components so I'll see how that turns out.

In the meantime, I don't want to abandon my old controller but I see no way of repairing the stick without replacing it or something. I noticed this old thread:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=271694

where some recommend not replacing the actual stick.

The two main issues with replacement are A) Finding a "new" stick box and B) Destroying the "feel" of the controller by changing boxes or messing with the old one.

So, is there some kind of repository where some hardcore controller repair guy is hoarding tons of "new" boxes (or slightly used ones), is there some place that sells them new (as far as I can tell the answer is "No", or do I need to cannibalize a decent controller (a working C-stick or Wii stick) myself just to get the box?

I opened mine up and the box looks normal and the stick seems to snap back alright but something is obviously wrong with it. I know there is a youtube vid of some guy using crazy glue on it to artificially stiffen it but that sounds like a last resort.

Controllers Controllers Controllers...........so important and such a pain in the ***. They've improved over the years but repairing one back to 100% is still too hard.....guess they can't make much money that way. Speaking of which, if some enterprising gentleman (or woman) who loves repairing controllers started a business to fix buttons and especially STICKS to new condition, I think a lot of players would pay maybe $10-$15 for the service..........I know I would.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
As long as the controller doesnt move on its own, then its probably you ****ing up your dash dance. Sometimes just mashing the stick back and fourth quickly u get random patters ie u might roll it a bit or something like that. Are you 100% positive your stick is even messed up, or are u just DD randomly so that u end up occasionally doing half moonwalks and such. So just try very deliberate dash dances, if you arent having a problem then its prob u thats messing up.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
I know if you play n64 smash on an HD Tv it's like playing with a couple frames of lag

my question is: Does this problem exist if you play Melee?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Sometimes my controllers L button makes it so I'm light shielding without pressing it. How do I fix this?
Get a tri wing screw driver, open up the controller.

on the bottom half, as in top and bottom, look where the trigger is and you will see that pressing down L moves another little rubber thing similar to how all of the buttons work.

Just replace the rubber piece. You dont have to take apart the triggers or anything, its just sorta snaps in.

@Linkoninja-yes.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
yes there is a ton of lag on my hdtv. its unplayable at a high level. the reason is because the
tv needs to process the images and reduce its quality from 1080p down to 420p. look up "game mode" some tvs have this setting and claim it to be "lagless" but i think it is just reduced most of the time.

Maxwell Too Swell

Smash Apprentice
I have 3 gamecube controllers and they each have there own little issues.

My white controller: Light shields for a second when I try waveshining or even L-canceling sometimes.

My black controller: Has the same issue, but to a worse degree. (I will spot dodge if I try to drill shine with fox.)

And my indigo controller: The C-stick is random. Sometimes it lets me do smash attacks and sometimes only some directions work and it's always a random one.

What do I for each of these situations? Please and thank you.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
For the shield issues:

Try taking them apart and replacing the rubber pads where the triggers are. You dont have to take the triggers apart or anything just use a normal tri-wing to open up the controller. Its just a rubber circle with a conduct point on the top of the bottom half of the controller.

C-Stick:

You can try resetting your controller in game by holding X,Y, start. Make sure both triggers and sticks are in their full neutral resting position.

This may not "fix" the problem but make it usable. I suggest trying to clean the board with mildly soapy water and taking the c stick off just to look inside the mechanism.

Its probably a wire or short problem tho, so unless ur willing to sauter more wires or a new c stick box onto the board u might as well just get a new controller or try to fix the other two.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Maybe u can order them if u search online or something... idk really.

so far I just know u can get em from any other controller, broken ones or something u kno. part salvage.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
max, ive got a tri-wing and i know matt does too.

actually im not sure where mine is but i could probably find it for you. dont know when ill see ya though

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
Does anyone know if buying higher end hdtvs (sony,samsung) are better than buying the cheaper kind? (coby,insignia,etc) for lag?
Also does the size of the tv effect lag at all?

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Does anyone know if buying higher end hdtvs (sony,samsung) are better than buying the cheaper kind? (coby,insignia,etc) for lag?
size shouldn't affect it. for the most part the cheapo brands do tend to lag pretty bad, but maybe not all?

plasma screens generally lag less than lcds.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
either the tv has a game mode that reduces the lag or it doesn't. id assume higher end models are better but it could just be paying for a name.

for the most part crt's ****...but ive heard panasonic has a really awesome tv that won't lag at all. check into that or get a cheap *** crt

WaterlessFishie

Smash Journeyman
Magnavox Model Number:20MS233S, 120V ac, 60 HZ, 69W.
Can anyone tell me if this TV has lag? I really can't tell and google isn't telling me much. :urg:

kingofkings97

Smash Cadet
I put my gamecube on my new 32 inch LCD but it looks bad and the cables are too much money so i'm putting it back on my RCA 13 inch

Myztek

Smash Ace
I don't know if anyone has tried this, but I have a question.

Does anyone know if the joystick in the Wii Classic Controller is identical to the one in a Gamecube controller? I have quite a few controllers with loose/broken joysticks, and I want to remove them completely from the board, and install a new one. I don't just mean taking off the rubber/plastic joystick piece and popping on a new one, but completely replacing the stick along with the cube-like joint-mechanism-thingy.

Top Bottom