• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Tornado (B-Down), Down-Air and Taunt Thread

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
I'm glad you pointed that out mac just because I am going to stop you from looking like an idiot in the future. A spike is any move that sends the opponent straight down (or atleast at a very low trajectery). A meteor smash is a specific spike that can be meteor cancelled. All meteor smashes are spikes; not all spikes are meteor smashes.
Yeah, it's a spike, I don't spike with it, (mainly 'cause I can't, it won't spike like a regular one) 'cause it's better to just use it to knock somebody off the stage, then use fair to kill 'em.

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
Vienna, Austria, Europe, Earth, Milky Way
So, just a little question of mine. I, tragically, own the despisable PAL version of the Game, hence me living in Europe.

I can't seem to get any height with the Luigi Tornado, the best I can pull off is stalling in the air. Of course, probably I just press the button too slowly, but is it possible that this was one of the 300 moves that got nerfed in PAL?

3GOD

Smash Ace
You can check easily by going to training mode and putting the speed to 1/4. Do a downB on the ground to load it, and then jump and do downB + tap B and see if you gain much height.

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
Vienna, Austria, Europe, Earth, Milky Way
Ah, thanks, almost forgot you could alter the game's speed in training Mode.

Turns out it is not nerfed at all, I just suck at it. I have tried again and seen an improvement, I think I get about 10-12 taps in now, raising about half of the possible height.

Thanks!

Cain

Smash Cadet
Man! i was just gonna post a thread asking for help on that luigi down-b tornado thing. good thing i didn't, huh? :psycho:

I think that you could improve on your button mashing skill on mario party 4. there is this great minigame where you have to press a alot to summon a lot of whomps to knok over. you coulduse that game for practise if you got. I practised with it. I could press b 16 times

i know this is a n00bish question but how do you meteor cancel? i could meteor smash a lot when playing as luigi on smash with friends but i don't know how to meteor cancel.

This is such a great thread Duke. Kudos to you. :)

MorbTheLuigi

Smash Ace
Hahaha you can find many unique ways of getting better at doing the perfect tornado. I don't know about you guys or if this can work for you, but what i did was use the clicker from that Axe comercial and tried clicking it as fas as I could. Then i just clicked it for several minutes without stopping even though my hand was getting tired. Then when I played smash later that day, i got my perfect tornado down better, because i also used to just keep still in the air. Also try not to raise your thumb up too high after tapping the putton, just raise it high enought to be able to click it again without it being like you're just holding the button. and dont stop tapping until you see the tornado is done because sometimes people tend to stop before they're done and that messes up the tornado.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
ok...
Fact: You don't need to finish the animation for the tornado on the ground in order for it to be charged. This means that if you get hit right after you press down+b on the ground, or you cancel a projectile with the tornado, the tornado still becomes "charged."

Question: Something weird happened at smym last weekend. I was recovering with the tornado, got hit by something(I can't remember what it was), and since I was kind of surprised and didn't think about it, I hit down+b and immediately went into another tornado...and it rose. I would check this myself, but I really don't have anyone on-hand to help me do that. So if someone else could try this out i'd be thankful. I just want to know if this was a fluke, or if you can actually do a second rising tornado if you get hit out of the first one.

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
Yes if you get hit while you are doing a tornado then you get a second tornado. This could be very useful...hmm

petogi corporation

Smash Rookie
Hi, whatz up dudes =P
hmm that are so usefull but its only practike i think, but with what finger
are so fast to try? anybody know that? hmm well 15 timer per second that okay
but some-else say that its cant be impossible, but i ever say all is possible in this
life, XDanyway thats are so hard to do, well better somebody out for play XD

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
i know this is a n00bish question but how do you meteor cancel? i could meteor smash a lot when playing as luigi on smash with friends but i don't know how to meteor cancel.
As soon as you are hit with a meteor smash, you have to jump (or use your up+B) and you will immediately go into the jumping animation, allowing you to recover on the edge. Quite often, if you can see a meteor smash coming, it's worth repeatedly mashing your up+B a few times just in case you miss the initial jump from the hitlag.

Meteor-cancelling basically allows you to recover from a "spike" without suffering any of the stun animation associated with most attacks. Whereas a spike will send you tumbling through the air straight down, unable to do anything, a meteor smash will send you straight down quickly, but if you're fast enough you can jump out of it so long as you're jumping before you get KO'd. :)

is there an easier to execute the tornado recovery is there a trick to doing it
Again, the best advice I've received to make it "easier" is to begin mashing down+B during the last part of the green missile animation. This gives you the opportunity to "build up" to the required 14 presses per second. Because the animation for the cyclone is not particularly long, you don't have much time and it's very difficult to instantaneously fall into a 14/per second rhythm. If you use the lag of the green missile to start the tornado, your fingers will have the opportunity to pick up a little speed and when the missile ends, Luigi will rise directly out of it with a cyclone.

NewGuy24

Smash Rookie
I was at lunch a few days ago watching my friend play Dr. Mario and he saved himself on the ledge a few times with the tornado by hitting the button quickly. Thinking that that would also work with Luigi I tried and failed. So then I thought I wasn't hitting the button quick enough, but then i tried Dr. Mario and did it easily. So is Luigi just much harder to gain air with tornado or am I not doing something right?

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
ok...
Fact: You don't need to finish the animation for the tornado on the ground in order for it to be charged. This means that if you get hit right after you press down+b on the ground, or you cancel a projectile with the tornado, the tornado still becomes "charged."

Question: Something weird happened at smym last weekend. I was recovering with the tornado, got hit by something(I can't remember what it was), and since I was kind of surprised and didn't think about it, I hit down+b and immediately went into another tornado...and it rose. I would check this myself, but I really don't have anyone on-hand to help me do that. So if someone else could try this out i'd be thankful. I just want to know if this was a fluke, or if you can actually do a second rising tornado if you get hit out of the first one.

Alright, here's the deal; you can go into another rising tornado only if you get hit out of the tornado within like the first couple of seconds of starting it. If you're like half way done with it, or almost done with it when you get hit out of it, you don't get it back. So yeah, it actually can be pretty useful, such as if you're ever being SHLed at from off the ledge, which is when you can just start the down B, then purposefully get hit by a laser, then do another tornado, then repeat as needed.

Echoist

Smash Apprentice
Again, the best advice I've received to make it "easier" is to begin mashing down+B during the last part of the green missile animation. This gives you the opportunity to "build up" to the required 14 presses per second. Because the animation for the cyclone is not particularly long, you don't have much time and it's very difficult to instantaneously fall into a 14/per second rhythm. If you use the lag of the green missile to start the tornado, your fingers will have the opportunity to pick up a little speed and when the missile ends, Luigi will rise directly out of it with a cyclone.
Yeah. I always use the cyclone recovery after the green missile, it works great. :)

mrb1tch3s

Smash Ace
so....if you first down the cyclone spin on the ground then you will always get the rising cyclone in the air like if say...you needed it to recover. because sometimes when i try to use it for recovery no matter how fast i press i just sink... that happens rarely so is it that u need to do it on the ground first?

10th-Karma

Smash Apprentice
another use for the rising tornado i've noticed is that if you're DIing onto the stage w/o any jumps and say a good falco is gettin ready to destroy you, you can screw his timing up if you have your tornado charged and slowly float onto the stage (don't rise but hit it about 6-8 times) causing the opponent to execute the move too early and allowing you to hit him from the top.

make sure you recharge it soon though!

this works really well against people w/ extremely good timing like my roommate. He still beats me w/ his falco many times but he gets more frustrated than I do cuz of this and other tornado tactics.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Just as a clarification of the Dair hitbox: The meteor part is a smaller hitbox right where Luigi's hips/crotch is. It's inside of the larger regular hitbox and pretty small, so it's hard to see. When trying to go for a Crotch Spike (as Oregon has started calling it due to the hitbox's placement), just try to get them in the center of Luigi and make sure you time it correctly.

Also, since I think someone asked. The sweetspot of the upB is on like the 8th frame (if I recall correctly), and is on his mustache.

Cs_Nexus

Smash Apprentice
I dont have the Internet LOL...
so i cant read much...
I personaly only get to fight marth and a falco all day long ....
I love down-B'n to cancel there attack and following up with a tilt.... roXxXor.
GTG...
NXUS

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
I find that a good method to pressing B faster is to buy 2 clickable pens, remove the spring in one of them, cut it into a quarter, and put it in the other pen along with its spring. This way you can have resistance while you click and you can still practice clickikng as fast as you can.

SlashMolder

Smash Apprentice
In a post a few pages back Duke mentioned a weighed glove that helped with the training, any idea were to get one? Or any other way that you could practice to press faster , I only can get 1to3 per second sadly, so I'm willing to try anything to at least gain height from the tornado.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Just "flex" your arm until it begins to sort of vibrate. If you use your index finger to tap the button, steady it with your thumb. If you use your thumb, steady it with your index finger. That's pretty much it.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I'm curious to why it's said that Luigi's recovery is mediocre. With the tornado he can cleary come back from practically anywhere.

-PM-

Smash Ace
well with recovery's with peach and the stupid Zelda teleport and fox coming up from almost the bottom of the map i guess they just don't count Luigi

poor mustached brother =/

Enzyme

Smash Apprentice
I just picked up Luigi, but he's quickly becoming my favorite. Two quick questions about the tornado:

Do you need to charge it each stock? (as in, if you die, before using it, do you need to recharge it again)

Does DI affect it? Will holding up as you tap B make you go any higher?

15 times per second...well, ****.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
So long as you don't die in mid-tornado off the stage or something, you will still be able to make it rise on your next stock, so no.

Holding up does not make you go any higher, but DI does affect the horizontal trajectory of the cyclone, whereas the vertical is all on the B button.

Enzyme

Smash Apprentice
Another Quickie: Is the rising tornado available every other time (Do I have to count how many times I use it), or once it's charged, will it stay charged till it's used?

mrb1tch3s

Smash Ace
Once its charge ON THE FLOOR and dont use it in the air then u will have it...
It is not every other time or...(names other insane random theory)...All you have to do is charge it once on the floor and it will stay with u till u use it in the air...And then u will have to charge it again =]

Top Bottom