• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Waluigi Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
If Sakurai's running out of time and wants more characters, Waluigi might get slapped in as a Luigi clone.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
Tiamat said:
If Sakurai's running out of time and wants more characters, Waluigi might get slapped in as a Luigi clone.
Someone must be thrown off a building if Waluigi is added and is a clone of someone.

Exodecai101

Smash Apprentice
Waluigi will not be a clone of anyone, if they can think of a moveset for people like Fox/Captain Falcon, and others, then i'm pretty sure they can think of a moveset for Waluigi

xianfeng

Smash Hero
BIRDMAN22 said:
Also, I am somewhat curious, can you actually put all the mario games in order?
Proberly yes, here is a rough one
Yoshi's Island - Mario went with the yoshis to save his brother
Yoshi's Story - The Yoshis went to save their land
Yoshi's Island 2 - Not Released
Donkey Kong - Mario went to save Pauline
Donkey Kong Jr - Mario went to get revenge
Mario Bros. - Mario and Luigi went to fix the sewers
Super Mario Bros - Mario and Luigi found themselves in a new world a link from the sewers led them here, they went to save the princess.
Super Mario Lost Levels - Mario went to save the princess again
Super Mario Bros 2 - Mario had a dream
Super Mario Bros 3 - Mario, Luigi and Peach went to investigate the Mushroom World when Peach was kidnapped by Bowser and his kids, Mario went to save her
Super Mario World - Mario, Luigi and Peach went on vacation, Peach was kidnapped again, Mario and Luigi made a new friend Yoshi they went and saved Peach and Yoshi's friends
Super Mario Land - Mario went to Sarasaland a desert country near the mushroom kingdom, to save Daisy
Super Mario Land 2 - As A reward for saving her so many times, Peach gave Mario his own country and his own world, Mario's former friend Wario came and invaded the land, Mario Conqured Wario and got his castle back which he used as a summer house
Super Mario RPG - Peach was kidnapped by Bowser again and Mario saved her then Smithy came and scattered them across the land and shattered the star road
Super Mario 64 - Peach finally moved out of home and she invited Mario over to celebrate but Bowser had kidnapped Peach! Mario had to rerieve the power stars and free Peach.
Paper Mario - After being defeated all those times before Bowser figured out how to become invinsible, with the star rod! Mario set out on a quest with some new friends and with the help of the star spirits he freed Peach and restored Peace
Luigi's Mansion - Mario was kidnapped in Luigi's new Mansion, Luigi went to free him.
Super Mario Sunshine - Mario and Peach went on vacation, Mario had to clean the island and Bowser Jr kidnapped Peach, Mario had to free her.
Paper Mario & the thousand year door - Havn't played it
Mario & Luigi Superstar saga - An evil witch kidnapped the princess' voice, Mario and Luigi set out to get it back and defeat the witch.
Super Mario 64 DS - Peach was throwing a party and Mario, Luigi, Wario and Yoshi were invited, Mario, Luigi and Wario came early and were captured but so was the princess, Yoshi freed the others and together they freed Peach
Mario & Luigi partners in Time - havn't played
New Super Mario Bros. - Havn't played
Super Princess Peach - Havn't played
Super Paper Mario - Not Released
Super Mario Galaxy - Not Released

Exodecai101

Smash Apprentice
wow, thats a great list there, great job, the only thing i would do is probably switch new super mario n princess peach maybe idk

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Exodecai101 said:
wow, thats a great list there, great job, the only thing i would do is probably switch new super mario n princess peach maybe idk
I havn't played either of those so I'll take your word for it I may also add in the sports and party titles.

Master Puppet

Smash Cadet
I'm going to return to the Luigi argument, just to make one quick point. You're all saying that Luigi's personality developed in Luigi's Mansion? Well, before the original Super Smash Bros., Luigi had nothing. He was just a filler, but he got in anyway. I rest my case.

And, Xienfang, that timeline you made has really no basis. Starting from Super Mario Bros., the games could really have gone in any order. The only ones that really needed to stay like that were the Super Mario Bros. games. You also should have put the Paper Mario and Super Mario 64 games next to each other, because they are direct sequels.

Rebel

Smash Apprentice
He had Mario is Missing. He has served as 2nd player in near all Mario games, not as a filler but as a similiar character to be able to differenciate between Mario and be your friend's character. Plus, he has been around much longer than Waluigi and he made it into the Mario Bros. movie and the cartoon shows. He wasn't really a filler character but part of the story as Mario's brother.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Master Puppet said:
I'm going to return to the Luigi argument, just to make one quick point. You're all saying that Luigi's personality developed in Luigi's Mansion? Well, before the original Super Smash Bros., Luigi had nothing. He was just a filler, but he got in anyway. I rest my case.

And, Xienfang, that timeline you made has really no basis. Starting from Super Mario Bros., the games could really have gone in any order. The only ones that really needed to stay like that were the Super Mario Bros. games. You also should have put the Paper Mario and Super Mario 64 games next to each other, because they are direct sequels.
He had personality in side-off games but that's not what made him be in SSB. He was in SSB because he has a large fanbase, has appeared in every Mario game since Mario Bros, became his own character in Super Mario Bros 2, and even appeared in Nintendo comics, pop-culture, and other things. Most people know who Mario and Luigi are (yes even those people that don't play video games).

TAMASHI

Smash Apprentice
I say leave him out of Brawl, his appearence in all of the games he was in was a filler =P
But I can probably think of a few character suggestions I would pick him over...so I wouldn't be terribly mad if he appeared, but I would rather have him not.

LuZr!!@

Smash Cadet
I think Waluigi would be great in SSBB! As a Wario fan I can't say he has any role in any Wario game but due to the fact that he's always Warios partner in everything else, and the fact that he has no real move set, means they could make his moves compliment Warios playstyle then, BOOM! Instant wario team up! And everyone needs a good partner right? W&W ftw!

Also..
Tiamat said:
If Sakuri's running out of time and wants more characters, there going to delay the game. this thing is too important to Nintendo to just "BS" that way.

Link-NY

Smash Ace
Waluigi. I want him in this game. Hes tall REALLY skinny he will be as easy to kill as mewtwo... but can u ppl imagine with his long legs a nice bair off the ledge? to good.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
LuZr!!@ said:
If Sakuri's running out of time and wants more characters, there going to delay the game. this thing is too important to Nintendo to just "BS" that way.
Yeah, that totally explains how they added Sigurd and Ganondorf with his sword to Melee.

...what?

LuZr!!@

Smash Cadet
McFox said:
Yeah, that totally explains how they added Sigurd and Ganondorf with his sword to Melee.

...what?
yeah, but they didnt have 50 people working on that project

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
...I don't think the argument that "Waluigi has nevar appeared in his own game lol" is a very strong one. Waluigi's had more appearances than Falco, more personality than Jigglypuff, and he's more recognizable than Marth (here OR in Japan, because Fire Emblem 1 is OLD).

Irregardless, Waluigi is no longer a "sidekick." He only really appeared directly alongside Wario in Double Dash and Tennis 64 anyways. In Toadstool Tour, Power Tennis, Baseball, Strikers, all the newer Party games, Mario DDR, blah blah blah... he works solo. Yes, he was created just as a doubles partner for Wario, but what the hell was Luigi? Or Yoshi? Or Wario? Luigi started out as just Player 2, and Yoshi was only meant to be Mario's ride. Wario started out as a BS rival for Mario when the development team was too lazy to use Bowser for Mario Land 2. But all these characters... they got popular enough over time, and became stars themselves. Waluigi's pretty much at that point right now as well. Go surf the web: Waluigi is a very, very popular Nintendo character. I think his inclusion would please a lot of people who are maybe not huge Nintendo fanboys, but looking for a fun-*** experience.

And I know it would be upsetting if they opted for him over, say, Little Mac, but hey. At least it would be a fun character :laugh:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
FlipTroopa said:
...I don't think the argument that "Waluigi has nevar appeared in his own game lol" is a very strong one. Waluigi's had more appearances than Falco, more personality than Jigglypuff, and he's more recognizable than Marth (here OR in Japan, because Fire Emblem 1 is OLD).

Irregardless, Waluigi is no longer a "sidekick." He only really appeared directly alongside Wario in Double Dash and Tennis 64 anyways. In Toadstool Tour, Power Tennis, Baseball, Strikers, all the newer Party games, Mario DDR, blah blah blah... he works solo. Yes, he was created just as a doubles partner for Wario, but what the hell was Luigi? Or Yoshi? Or Wario? Luigi started out as just Player 2, and Yoshi was only meant to be Mario's ride. Wario started out as a BS rival for Mario when the development team was too lazy to use Bowser for Mario Land 2. But all these characters... they got popular enough over time, and became stars themselves. Waluigi's pretty much at that point right now as well. Go surf the web: Waluigi is a very, very popular Nintendo character. I think his inclusion would please a lot of people who are maybe not huge Nintendo fanboys, but looking for a fun-*** experience.

And I know it would be upsetting if they opted for him over, say, Little Mac, but hey. At least it would be a fun character :laugh:
Yeah Luigi and Wario both started as two pretty lame characters, I agree. However their personality grew during the years and they've become one of Nintendo's most regonisable characters with a big importance into the Mario franchice.

However Waluigi is around for like 6 years or something, and his personality never really changed. He's still at the same stage as when he was created and I doubt we'll ever see him outside Mario cameo games. Which includes Brawl. =)

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
First of all, I did search the web and his fansites are pathetic. I think I posted one on an earlier page.

I am a Wario fan, I love the Wario Ware games, and putting Waluigi in this game would be a huge let-down. There are so many more unique characters in the Wario Ware games, Mona, Jimmy, and Kat and Ana(that's only a few of them). Then there's...Waluigi, the tall guy who...swims in the air.

So many more unique characters that would be more fun than Waluigi.

Exodecai101

Smash Apprentice
Marshigio said:
I am a Wario fan, I love the Wario Ware games, and putting Waluigi in this game would be a huge let-down. There are so many more unique characters in the Wario Ware games, Mona, Jimmy, and Kat and Ana(that's only a few of them). Then there's...Waluigi, the tall guy who...swims in the air.

So many more unique characters that would be more fun than Waluigi.
Actually putting him in WarioWare Smooth Moves could really help Waluigi get more of a personality then us knowing he wants to cause chaos n all that, it would be a great way to make his personality more in depth, and also if he's in warioware then pretty much he's a shoe in for smash

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
We don't know if he's getting in that game or not, but still, he'd be the most boring character in that game, just like he'd be in Brawl.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
We're still confusing personality I see. Wario started as a money hungry anti-hero and even after numerous games and years he still remains a money hungry anti-hero. That isn't really personality growth. I will agree that Luigi become more than he was though.

Overall, outside of personal dislike, I can't see where all the negativity is coming from towards this character. Every anti-waluigi statement that has been made about him can be said about one of the beloved members of the melee roster.

It was said above that he has been around for six years and has the same personality yet does not have his own game. That can be said about falco. He's been around longer, has appeared in, less games, doesn't have his own title, and is only pickable in assault( I heard. I never played it). Yet we are now not only ranking him in the elite column for melee but most of us are hoping he gets a new moveset so he can be more original. Personality shouldn't even be brought up because most of melee's cast have very little.

"He has only appeared in part games". Nintendo choose to but him in multiplayer games, so what? How does that mean he will never get his own game (as most of you have related together)? Why does that mean he should be excluded from another multiplayer game.

"He'd only be a clone". This arguement has already been dismissed by the developer. (unofficially) They have proved that the can make any character original and it's evident with fox and C.F.

"He's just a filler". This argument has been used more than any other even though it has been dismissed many pages ago. Yet, I know it will return again. Like a classic horror movie, when you think you're safe it jumps through the window and beats you to death with a sledgehammer. :urg:

In terms of other unique characters. It's all opinion. I personally think chrono should be the first new addition to brawl. It's my opinion. Some think it should be megaman, or sonic, or bomberman, geno, wolf o'donnel, diddy kong, etc, etc. The smash community isn't going to agree on every character addition. If any of the characters I named makes it to brawl, some people will be happy, some will be pissed. No character is going to get 100% support nor are you expected to like everyone, which is why I don't get why some of you are making it seem like waluigi would be the worst thing to happen to smash. Do the same thing you did with the melee character you didn't like, don't pick them and move on and focus on the ones you do like.

EDIT: The post above mine show an example of personal dislike. How would you know that he would be the most boring character in both games?????

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
According to the people using the "Waluigi is a filler" argument, we should only have 20 charcters in Melee, not 26, because the clones are fillers and "fillers shouldn't be in Smash."

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
BIRDMAN22 said:
EDIT: Tpost above mine show an example of personal dislike. How would you know that he would be the most boring character in both games?????
Yes, I hate him, what's your point? I like the Wario Ware characters a lot better, same with everyone in Melee, even Pichu.

Also, Fox Rocks, those characters were put in at the last minute for more characters. Pichu was in because it was easy to make a moveset for him. Falco was in because he was popular, same goes for Y. Link. Ganondorf was in because he was the main villain of the LoZ series. Doc Mario was in because it was easy to make a moveset for him. Roy was in for advertisement.

I wouldn't want Waluigi as a clone, because they could be using that time to be making other characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
BIRDMAN22 said:
It was said above that he has been around for six years and has the same personality yet does not have his own game. That can be said about falco. He's been around longer, has appeared in, less games, doesn't have his own title, and is only pickable in assault( I heard. I never played it). Yet we are now not only ranking him in the elite column for melee but most of us are hoping he gets a new moveset so he can be more original. Personality shouldn't even be brought up because most of melee's cast have very little.
Yeah Waluigi appeared in more games. So? A standard StarFox game sells better and is more populair then just another Mario sport. Also Falco is the second guy of the StarFox franchice, like Luigi is to Mario, Diddy Kong is to DK ect ect ect.

Waluigi really has NO importance in each game he's been in. Ofcoarse there isnt one main character in a sport game but still, Mario and other more well-know characters still stand more in the spotlight then Waluigi in the Mario sports.

But still, asuming Luigi is in Brawl to and Doc is removed we still have too many mustached Italian characters imo.

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
Marshigio said:
Also, Fox Rocks, those characters were put in at the last minute for more characters. Pichu was in because it was easy to make a moveset for him. Falco was in because he was popular, same goes for Y. Link. Ganondorf was in because he was the main villain of the LoZ series. Doc Mario was in because it was easy to make a moveset for him. Roy was in for advertisement
They were still used to "fill" a spot in the roster, so they are still filler characters in Smash.

BTW, any pro-Waluigi person, feel free to take my sig.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Marshigio said:
Yes, I hate him, what's your point? I like the Wario Ware characters a lot better, same with everyone in Melee, even Pichu.
The point was that all these anti-waluigi post are because of basic dislike which means nothing. if it came from a nuetral standpoint it would mean something because then I would believe that you're views were unbiased and that you actually believe he would be a bad addition for something more than personal hatred.

Even though the last few pages would say differently, I actually am not a big waluigi fan. I don't own any party games, sports games, or anything else he was in. I did generally believe he would make for a good addition when I first read this post and I stck by it. Others have given numerous reasons for his inclusion and haters have repeated the same arguements that were in my previous post.

Just because you don't like him doesn't mean you should just bash as many supportive post that can.
Also, Fox Rocks, those characters were put in at the last minute for more characters. Pichu was in because it was easy to make a moveset for him. Falco was in because he was popular, same goes for Y. Link. Ganondorf was in because he was the main villain of the LoZ series. Doc Mario was in because it was easy to make a moveset for him. Roy was in for advertisement.
That still makes them fillers in the world of smash
I wouldn't want Waluigi as a clone, because they could be using that time to be making other characters.
I still can't see why he has to be a clone. Are you just assuming that because you can't think up a moveset the developers won't be able to either?

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
They weren't fillers in their original games, unlike Waluigi, except Falco but he was popular among the Star Fox fans.

I only said the clone thing because someone else brought it up earlier. I know they can make a moveset for him.

Besides, I've given reasons, whether you agree with them or not. At least I didn't come in here and just say Waluigi sucks so he shouldn't be in Brawl. My main reason I don't want him in is because there are so many more unique characters out there, especially from the Mario games.

icymatt

Smash Lord
But all of them are still far more important in their respective series than Waluigi.

I've already stated that I like Waluigi, but I'd rather they include more "important" or unique characters first.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Diddy Kong said:
Yeah Waluigi appeared in more games. So? A standard StarFox game sells better and is more populair then just another Mario sport. Also Falco is the second guy of the StarFox franchice, like Luigi is to Mario, Diddy Kong is to DK ect ect ect.
Falco (to my knowledge) is usually trying to outshine fox and prove that he is a better piolt (which some believe). That is a competitive partnership and is not comparable to the others. Either way how is that an arguement. Waluigi is Wario's Luigi.
Ofcoarse there isnt one main character in a sport game but still, Mario and other more well-know characters still stand more in the spotlight then Waluigi in the Mario sports.
I don't usually play these games myself but everytime I watch someone play waluigi, wario, peach, yoshi, and DK tend to be the most picked characters. So this statement is really only from a personal experience perspective
But still, asuming Luigi is in Brawl to and Doc is removed we still have too many mustached Italian characters imo.
Another "great" arguement. 3 out of 26 if doc gets the axe. WOW. There are more animals, males, swordsman, females (including jiggs) and pokemon. I guess they shouldn't add anymore, so that leaves....wait.....maybe.......or.......

EDIT: As previously stated, I agree that others should be made higher priorty than waluigi but that still doesn't mean he shouldn't get in. He has priorty over half (if not more) of the characters suggestions in this forum and should they have a total of 40 or more characters, I belive he will be one of them.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Fox_Rocks said:
According to the people using the "Waluigi is a filler" argument, we should only have 20 charcters in Melee, not 26, because the clones are fillers and "fillers shouldn't be in Smash."
Yeah. And tons of people are against clones. That argument doesn't help you at all. Clones SHOULDN'T be in Smash.

GenG

Smash Lord
Waluigi's popular? Allright, Sakurai was somewhat depressed because Wario was the underdog of the trailer and almost regretted his appareance. So, think about how popular is Waluigi compared to him.

The chances are pretty low.

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
DokturSea said:
Yeah. And tons of people are against clones. That argument doesn't help you at all. Clones SHOULDN'T be in Smash.
Why is everybody against clones? Clones are last-minute additions that are only put in because they are easily modified from another character. So, would you rather have 6 more characters in Melee or or not?

icymatt

Smash Lord
It was fine in Melee.

But Brawl isn't Melee. There's time now, so there shouldn't be any reason to intentionally make clones.

But this is off-topic, we're not talking about clones, we're talking about Waluigi. There are characters who deserve, or would better in the game. Just so long as MOST of those characters are not ignored, I'd be fine with Waluigi. But he's lower on the stack.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
I can agree with you.

I'm assuming that they will shoot for around 35-40 characters for brawl. There should be about 3, maybe more, that get cut from the roster. That leaves 12-17 characters that could be added, and I can't think of 17 that have priority of waluigi, I can only think of about 6 that have definte priority not including third party. Then again that's my opinion. I just can't see why he wouldn't be included considering that they have so many possibilities, in terms of moveset and event modes.

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
Using a sample, I have deciphered that Waluigi does have more fans then haters.

In this topic, there were 51 people pro-Waluigi, meaning they said they liked him or wanted him in the game, but not neccesarilly both.

There were 28 haters, meaning they said they either didn't like the character or didn't want him in the game.

And there were 24 people who were neutral, who I couldn't find out if they liked him or not by reading their post.

So, using this sample, we can assume that there are more people who like Waluigi than don't, so no more using the "he doesn't have a fanbase" argument.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but that's what I get for using something I learned last year in 6th grade honors math, lol.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Fox_Rocks said:
Using a sample, I have deciphered that Waluigi does have more fans then haters.

In this topic, there were 51 people pro-Waluigi, meaning they said they liked him or wanted him in the game, but not neccesarilly both.

There were 28 haters, meaning they said they either didn't like the character or didn't want him in the game.

And there were 24 people who were neutral, who I couldn't find out if they liked him or not by reading their post.

So, using this sample, we can assume that there are more people who like Waluigi than don't, so no more using the "he doesn't have a fanbase" argument.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but that's what I get for using something I learned last year in 6th grade honors math, lol.
Pretty easy explenation. THere are lotsa noobs here and ofcoarse all Waluigi likers come here and post, thats what I would do to if I where a fan of him. However Im very sure that if everyone who hates Waluigi here would have posted in this thread, you wouldnt make that post. ;)

Still what I really ment on my last post is that however Wario and Luigi where sorta fillers back when they where created... They did got further devlopment and grew populair and well known. Waluigi is still at the same 'stage' of devlopment as he was in Mario Tennis N64. I dont think Nintendo will change this for some years.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
well, this does give him a chance to shine a little bit more. i mean, falcon wasn't that well known until smash, and they developed his personality a bit more after that. maybe i'm wrong here

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Well, Falcon was really just know for having the most annoying taunt in the game after Melee. It was GX/AX, and the anime(So I hear) that really developed him into his own character, not Melee.

Besides, with such a weak story(if you can even call it that) Brawl wouldn't be the place to learn about his personality.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
but still, smash did start to develop who he was and what he did. the anime and gx did develop it fully, but smash started it. the same could happen for waluigi. all we know is that he is mischevious, and that is it. with his appearance in brawl, more of his background could be introduced in game and later on in other games.

i just really want to see what Sakurai could do to waluigi with a small background, like they did for falcon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom