• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

ngfc_0

Smash Apprentice
hmm i guess i'll try Z-X-A one more time, but pressing Z with the tip of my finger is hard :S

(the most probable thing to happen will be to try and fail for a month, give up and continue to svck at lifebrawl lol)

bigman40

Smash Master
Beast Setting is very easy to use but the penalty for a mess-up is worse. (short hop dair + landing lag)
watching Scatz Vids this seems to be a very constant way to do this. But he said to me he wears gloves to do it constantlier.
I'm summoned. (next time, just state if you need my help or not lol)

I haven't recorded in a long time, but my vids are examples of using it in matches regularly. The only reason I use a glove is to keep my hands from sweating. I can't play brawl well when my hands are sweating all over my controller. Overall, my set-up is possibly the easiest to implement and use, and it shouldn't take long to adjust to the odd change.

Also, it's "more consistent" or "consistently" Yikarur =P

Airborne

Smash Lord
Overall, my set-up is possibly the easiest to implement and use, and it shouldn't take long to adjust to the odd change.
^^^ This.

Seriously, it's not hard to transition to, it can be used for all characters, and the DR is far easier to master on this setup:
B=Jump
X=Special
L/R=Jump/Attack/Special/Etc.

The change for L/R, whichever you DON'T shield with, is for optional reasons; Mine is set to jump so that I can still ETS easier, although it really isn't as useful as it was in '08-'09, and Scatz has one of the two set to special so that he can Wavebounce/B-Reversal without many issues.

We need more people to pick up DR in order to experiment and advance our overall metagame. It's not the difficulty of the techs, but the laziness of the boards.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I will admit, I need to learn more about DR. I'll try and step up and get use to it :)

Airborne

Smash Lord
do it, it would be awesome if Yoshis Standard Metagame would finally contain DR stuff.
^^^ This as well.

Also, to help you guys out with finding uses for DR, think about the concept in fighting games known as "footsies". If you don't know what it is, you can look it up on SRK or something. Think about people will weave in and out, trying to poke their opponent, or at least bait them.

Next, think about what you would need to do to make yourself faster in terms of mobility. Think about what DR is capable of doing.

Experiment, god dammit.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I think dr > spotdodge > ftilt to approach through a projectile (like tinks boomerang for example) would be epic

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
Quick question. Recently I played a Yoshi in some friendly games. I have 0 experience fighting Yoshi's and he seems like a cool character. However there is one thing I just don't get. When my buddy used down b, he would often fall and sort of "dash" when he hit the ground. I thought he was buffering a dash, but the thing is, he was still in the finishing part of the down b animation. Any hints appreciated XD

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
Ok i need everyones help, i need to find a video. I think it was a combo video, and i think it was by bwett or something. This is all i remember seeing: On bf Yoshi egglays opponent, then waits then double jump egg lays them (this is at the top of bf) they go offscreen, he hits the person with up b... resulting in their death since they were offscreen... I dont remember much sorry but i remember that combo blowing my mind....

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
Quick question. Recently I played a Yoshi in some friendly games. I have 0 experience fighting Yoshi's and he seems like a cool character. However there is one thing I just don't get. When my buddy used down b, he would often fall and sort of "dash" when he hit the ground. I thought he was buffering a dash, but the thing is, he was still in the finishing part of the down b animation. Any hints appreciated XD
was it on flat land? because if not then it was yoshis crazy down b movement dynamics when it collides with a sloped surface :)

ngfc_0

Smash Apprentice
okay, so i tried DR with Y-B-Cstick and it is easier. Thanks for the input :)
I still can do it only like 10% of the times but is a work in progress lol
I'm having a little difficulty adjusting to the timing of DJCegglay with X (since its closer to Y than B the finger needs to be slower, moving from Y, to let the control stick reach a neutral position). Aside that it's fairly easy to adapt this button layout.
Oh and my controller wont be happy with this, slamming the c-stick must not be good for it :p

catching bananas here we go!

Veel

Smash Apprentice
When Yoshi's Down B hits a slope of a certain angle he gets a slide and a couple options out of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpo3QuIG2fo

Ok i need everyones help, i need to find a video. I think it was a combo video, and i think it was by bwett or something. This is all i remember seeing: On bf Yoshi egglays opponent, then waits then double jump egg lays them (this is at the top of bf) they go offscreen, he hits the person with up b... resulting in their death since they were offscreen... I dont remember much sorry but i remember that combo blowing my mind....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MLw7oV2OSQ @ 1:31

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Zudenka... Should've known that's what he meant. I mean my playstyle (When I couldn't DR) used Egglay as my main option to turn around on the field/Platforms/air.

Yikarur

Smash Master
thats a Dragonic Reverse dsmash.
You cancel your dash with a double jump cancelled aerial which results in an instant landing -> you can do anything.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Does Yoshi have -any- reasonable counter to Mach Tornado other than his good mobility? Someone just made me look like a complete chump.

D

Deleted member

I mean tornado is a great hindrence to yoshi but:

Upsmash is a pretty reasonable counter to tornado in lots of cases.
Egg lay beats it if you are falling.
Falling nair on the center of the tornado works, or you can double jump nair it.

You can hold shield, and at the very end of the nado you can spotdodge and ull be invincible through the last part and then you can punish.

Smart tornado usage is killer though.

Sharky

Smash Master
if you get caught in it and can manage to get an upair in just as you pop out mid-nado that will usually hit as well, though it isn't something I rely on

edit: actually by that logic nair should work too as it's faster but I haven't tried it, its hitbox might make it clank with the nado hitbox that far inside I dunno

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I've landed Uair while inside Nado.

Anyways, as far as beating that stupid move, I just try not to commit and to stay in a position where I can punish/avoid it reasonably. That's not always possible, though. =/

Airborne

Smash Lord
Hey guys, should we consider ducking when metaknight is in the air? Like, I know if Sheik and other characters duck against tornado, metaknight has to go closer to the ground in order to actually make contact with them, putting him at an unsafe height for ending lag. It'd allow us to shield when he actually does try to get closer to the ground, and perhaps set up a potential shield grab or spotdodge->lolpunishmk.

I'm probably about to head over to Judo's to play some, so I can test if our duck is actually low enough to emulate the same situation.

Edit: Also, to clarify for those that haven't known, the best way to DI out of nado is the same as DK's Cargo: just hold up. It's the most efficient way to actually get out of the **** thing.

Sharky

Smash Master
air makes a decent point as you can't sdi nado, but if you think they're moving too fast it might be better to di the opposite direction they're moving

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I mean tornado is a great hindrence to yoshi but:

Upsmash is a pretty reasonable counter to tornado in lots of cases.
Egg lay beats it if you are falling.
Falling nair on the center of the tornado works, or you can double jump nair it.

You can hold shield, and at the very end of the nado you can spotdodge and ull be invincible through the last part and then you can punish.

Smart tornado usage is killer though.
Egg Toss and Yoshi Bomb also beat it about 75% of the time.

I'm not sure why it doesn't always beat it the way up-smash does, though. =/

:069:

marthsword

Smash Ace
What's Yoshi's best response to avoiding float combos? Ex. float nair to float canceled fair. I find I keep getting knocked around. And which throw combos will work on a Peach?

Sharky

Smash Master
Egg Toss and Yoshi Bomb also beat it about 75% of the time.

I'm not sure why it doesn't always beat it the way up-smash does, though. =/

depends on where the explosion is (for egg) and ground pound has to land right in the center of the nado.

Veel

Smash Apprentice
Does Yoshi have -any- reasonable counter to Mach Tornado other than his good mobility? Someone just made me look like a complete chump.
When MK uses Mach Tornado in the air, it still retains the normal properties of a ground move for priority (moves within 8% damage range clash and over 8% out prioritized it). However, due to the game mechanics for the handful of abnormal aerials that work like this, the attack animation continue even after the attack is broken or "clanks"; due to this, when you connect with a ground move that out-prioritizes or clanks with Mach Tornado, the game only cancels that singular hit-box and then the next hit box hits you in after lag unless that attack both out-prioritizes Mach Tornado and connects with MK's body box.

With this in mind, Up-Smash is generally the best grounded attack because of the range of its' hit-box, but technically you could break tornado with any grounded attack that does 9-10% or more.

From my experience Up-Special works sporadically. This could be for one of two reasons: the egg connects with a hit-box of the tornado but not the body of MK (so aim well) or because of stale moves the egg damages has fallen into the clash priority range (do not spam eggs).

Pivot grabs and Neutral-specials work perfectly if you are level with the MK but take some time to start-up.

Down-Special has worked 100% for me when I hit the center of the tornado from above.

Using all these options and playing intelligently can generally get you past tornado play but there is one option that Yoshi has that is severely under used to counter Tornado: his second jump. Every hit-box of Mach Tornado has set knock-back besides the ending hit-boxes; this means that even at 999% you can merely double jump through it (thus taking 1-2%) and then follow up.

If the MK follows you up or stays level, you basically get to rise through him and then counter. It is important to note that inputting any move (aerial, special, air dodge) will cancel Yoshi's heavy frames from his second jump, so attack after you have gone through the tornado versus doing it before or during the tornado.

If the MK decides to go through you or is dropping, you can cancel your second jump into a (wave-bounced) Up-Special or Neutral-Special and then attempt to follow up. You could also just let your jump finish naturally.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
depends on where the explosion is (for egg) and ground pound has to land right in the center of the nado.
Actually, there have been a few times where I just Yoshi Bomb through the center of the Tornado and still not hit MK. -.-

Depster

Smash Champion
Also, Yoshi DOES keep a few frames of super armor after inputting an attack. I just am not sure how well that works with tornado, but I assume DJ Nair should work... Am I stupid or is that viable?

Depster

Smash Champion
I guess that's why only Uair and Nair can do that then, they are both 3 frame attacks or around there.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
What character do you guys hate fighting the most as Yoshi? I'm picking up a character JUST for fighting Poltergust because Yoshi takes a dump on Bowser, PT, and Wario.

Top Bottom