• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
And everyone else found out about it over two years ago and not bothered to tell us. >_>

:069:

Yikarur

Smash Master
I use it rarely because if you fail doing it.. it really sucks lol
but my Yoshi got so much better, I used him yesterday twice after not using him for a loong time and everything felt better.
xD

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
A month of no tournament and smashfests means basically a month of training.
Basically just actually using DR in matches with little fail and getting smarter with MU's since I've decided to use random against people during friendlies.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Guys, I think yoshi might have something on kirby at PS2. I was playing a kirby main at a smashfest and I grabbed him as the stage changed. This caused a forced air release for kirby and I was able to jump and uair him before he could do anything. I may have released where the platform rises, but Im not positive...

Also, we can cg fox during the flying part of PS2, of this im sure.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Can you f-air spike him during the Flying portion?

Also, lol. Kirby = the new Jigglypuff. Too bad that we won't be able to reliably grab Kirby during stage transitions, though. I'm assuming this also works in PS1?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Haven't tried fair spiking.

And haven't tried PS1. Nor have I re-tried PS2, it was just spur of the moment. So that one Im not sure on the details, all I know is that I got a legit uair on him. And we couldn't save the replay as it took 5-6ish mins and we didn't have hacks... :/

EDIT: We should make a situational options thread or something, cuz it seems to me like a lot of stages have lol worthy factors that have given me free kills.

And, I found this out a while ago and said something about it in the yoshi skype, but if we release wolf at a certain point near the ledge on PictoChat, we can re-grab because the slope makes us grab at a downwards 45 degree angle.

Yikarur

Smash Master
fair spike is not guaranted.
CG is as hard as Falcos because he can upB out of it if you don't buffer it (who would actually do that? lol)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Thanks, Yika.

And, I found this out a while ago and said something about it in the yoshi skype, but if we release wolf at a certain point near the ledge on PictoChat, we can re-grab because the slope makes us grab at a downwards 45 degree angle.
Really? I thought Wolf goes too far out regardless. Are you positive about this?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Gashi, the Uair you landed on Kirby may have been due to the transition canceling your GR animation lag, giving you the time to hit him while he was still suffering full lag.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I did already, is really hard and I can't do it permanent, you'll hang in air and then fall after a time.
Didn't get it as long as in the video :/

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
@Polt: Yes, yes I am.

@Delta: That's what I thought, just was wondering if there was a way to know where and when it would happen so we can do it consistantly. It would be a cool little gimmick and a +1 for PS.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Actually, something similar happened to me yesterday. I was playing on Rainbow Cruise against ESAM. He up-smashed me on the swinging pendulum and I got stage-spiked by the noodle platforms. As I was falling down though, Yoshi grazed the edge of the pendulum and just froze there for a second, then continued going down at the same speed as before.

Unfortunately, ESAM and I were idiots and forgot to save the match. :(

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Have you tested it for yoshi? It seems like it could work... imagine shield > yoshi bomb/tilts OoS without SD lag...

bigman40

Smash Master
It's a regular PS, and regular PSes for Yoshi doesn't cancel his shield drop. If you wanna find something else from it, then by all means, research it.

D

Deleted member

What is Yoshi's fastest/most reliable kill move. My Yoshi is getting better, but I've been having issues just getting that kill if they're not airborne.

bigman40

Smash Master
I think most of us would agree that Usmash is Yoshi's most reliable kill move that he can land. However, there's another move you can pull on grounded opponents if you can catch with it, and that's down-B. It kills a little bit earlier than Usmash and is a decent punisher on up close fights.

I'm actually surprised to see you playing Yoshi.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Actually, I think Yoshi's u-air is his overall best kill move. It's quick, has a ton of range, and kills early. The only problem is that it's telegraphed, but that can easily be remedied by predicting your opponent.

I guess up-smash is easier to land, though.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Actually, I think Yoshi's u-air is his overall best kill move. It's quick, has a ton of range, and kills early. The only problem is that it's telegraphed, but that can easily be remedied by predicting your opponent.

I guess up-smash is easier to land, though.

everything is easily be remedied by predicting your opponent :/

Yoshis uair ist his best killmove in terms of strength and speed(it's a bit stronger than upsmash and less DIable), it has a relative small hitbox which means it can shield poke smaller non angled shields.
Fsmash and upsmash are nice to punish landings.
but downB da bess :3

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
You know, now that I think about it, I've never seen anyone been able to DI the u-air diagonally. The best I've seen was a small angle left or right.

I guess it's one of those moves that you can't really DI, huh? Lucky. =)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
It's because moves that send you perfectly straight up at a 90 degree angle (possibly even just a set angle) are much harder to DI than any other moves.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Not necessarily. There are a ton of moves that send you straight up but are much more DI'able.

Look at moves like Snake's u-tilt, Wario's u-air, and MK's grounded up-B. These moves send people up at a 90-degree angle with no DI, but with DI it can change to almost a 45-degree angle.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Warios upair has the same angle as Yoshis upsmash. Snakes uptilt doesn't have an exact 90° angle.
MKs upB has an even lower angle than Yoshis upsmash.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
OK then, how about Fox, Falco, and Pikachu's up-smash? Pikachu's Thunder? Samus' u-tilt/d-tilt? Luigi's up-B? ZSS' u-air?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Possibly set degrees like I said :p. Not sure on how other characters work to be honest though.

EDIT: Here's a better way to explain it, DI is Directional Influence right? Well, DI wasn't just named on the spot because it sounded cool, it was named after what it truly is, an influence on your direction. You can 'influence' the game to send you at a more vertical/horizontal angle by giving your flight path more of a curve. However, you can only INFLUENCE the curve, so if there isn't an angle in the first place, how can you influence it? That small angle to the left you must have saw was most likely really good momentum canceling letting them have control earlier.

D

Deleted member

What is Yoshi's fastest/most reliable kill move. My Yoshi is getting better, but I've been having issues just getting that kill if they're not airborne.
If your anywhere near as bad with yoshi as you are with wolf we dont want you
keep losing to random low tier mains tho

agvhsbdkf sorry scatty my new years resolution was to troll more

Top Bottom