• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
You can duck under alot of stuff but for grabs its probably spacing dependent. I'll try it in a little bit actually.

Edit: Tested it you can duck under Dash Grab but you still get caught by pivot grabs and standing grabs

Airborne

Smash Lord
Okay, once I start writing the MU for Kirby i'll write down "Never Dash grab, use DSG on Kirby always."
Or dash grab when he's on the ground?.... Or just never dash grab when they're on the ground....?

Or Dash > DR > Standing Pivot Grab
Or do something cool with DR in order to show that's it worth changing your controls for.

If I was able to DR like it was nothing.
Y-B-C-stick

No one has disproved Scatz and I that it's not the way to go.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Y-B-C-stick

No one has disproved Scatz and I [sic] that it's not the way to go.
I see it's about that time to support YBC again. +1 for switching to Y-B-C-stick because the adjustment is way less difficult than a lot of people seem to think and it makes DR way easier.

Additionally, object pronouns are fun.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I found an easy way to ISJR (well, you'll get at least one more double jump) with Yoshi. This only works on certain stages with platforms. So far, I've got it to work on BF, PS1, YI (only when the platform gets low), and Lylat Cruise (only on the outer platforms and you have to be in the middle of the stage. All you have to do is jump towards the platform and then immediately press Z. When you are almost touching the platform. buffer a jump and then immediately press Z again. If you did it correctly, you should have a second jump that you can use when ever you want.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I found an easy way to ISJR (well, you'll get at least one more double jump) with Yoshi. This only works on certain stages with platforms. So far, I've got it to work on BF, PS1, YI (only when the platform gets low), and Lylat Cruise (only on the outer platforms and you have to be in the middle of the stage. All you have to do is jump towards the platform and then immediately press Z. When you are almost touching the platform. buffer a jump and then immediately press Z again. If you did it correctly, you should have a second jump that you can use when ever you want.

known =P
that works fo every platform in BF heigth including PS1's, Halberd, Halberd if you jump from the slope, Castle Siege1 if you jump from the slope etc.

oh and Sheiks never buffer ftilt, it's way too hard.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hey, im trying to figure out the counterpick for all characters so im going to all the Q&A threads of all the characters and posting this. I would like for you to give me your characters worst MU and worst stage so it saves me a lot of time researching it myself and testing stuff.

I would really appreciate it if you all helped me out.

Hope to get some answers pretty soon.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I dont think we have a worst stage. Its character dependent. And for worst matchup, Lucario hands down. Pretty sure we had this conversation with someone already lol

Abel1994

Smash Lord
HI ;D

Ima use Yoshi as a secondary since I spam his Dair <- FELT SOO GOOOD!
Anyway does he have any AT? and any good Recovery ideas to not get hit back out >.>

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
HI ;D

Ima use Yoshi as a secondary since I spam his Dair <- FELT SOO GOOOD!
Anyway does he have any AT? and any good Recovery ideas to not get hit back out >.>

Well in case you were serious, He has a lot of AT's. Heres some of them.

As for recovering without getting hit out. You can always NOT attack when you recover, then the super armor would usually just take the hit. There's airdodging back on, recovering high... using Egglay, Egg tossing back on....Seriously you shouldn't be getting knocked out of your recovery often.

Abel1994

Smash Lord

Well in case you were serious, He has a lot of AT's. Heres some of them.

As for recovering without getting hit out. You can always NOT attack when you recover, then the super armor would usually just take the hit. There's airdodging back on, recovering high... using Egglay, Egg tossing back on....Seriously you shouldn't be getting knocked out of your recovery often.
lol that dog looks like ma old one :3

Anyway yea im serious I like yoshi now and its a very diffrent char to play compared to everyone else. :D

Thanks for the help

Airborne

Smash Lord
Just for clarification, it's heavy armor to anyone lurking. The armor is dependent on how much knockback the move will deal to Yoshi. If the knockback is too great, it will knock him out.

I would also like to add on the following table:
Footstool beats Heavy Armor
Most attacks beat us when we rid ourselves of heavy armor or aren't air dodging
Strong attacks beat Heavy Armor (NEVER try it against Metaknight)
and Patient well spaced opponents will beat Air dodging

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Actually airborne, it's neither.

Super-armor means you take damage but never take knockback.
Heavy-armor means you take damage but also take knockback if the attack inflicts a certain amount of damage.
Yoshi's DJ armor lets him take damage, but get knocked out at certain damage percentages, it's completely different.

bigman40

Smash Master
So when what do you consider Snake's upB armor? Heavy armor takes damage until a certain amount can knock the character out of it. Been that way since Melee.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Percentage-armor? Whenever an attack that does 6% or more damage to Snake while he's up-B'ing, he'll get knocked out regardless of how much knockback it does.

But yeah, leave Yoshi's heavy-armor as heavy-armor.

Sharky

Smash Master
Percentage-armor? Whenever an attack that does 6% or more damage to Snake while he's up-B'ing, he'll get knocked out regardless of how much knockback it does.

But yeah, leave Yoshi's heavy-armor as heavy-armor.

I believe the stickers that give this in SSE are called flinch resistance or something like that.

Airborne

Smash Lord
Actually airborne, it's neither.

Super-armor means you take damage but never take knockback.
Heavy-armor means you take damage but also take knockback if the attack inflicts a certain amount of damage.
Yoshi's DJ armor lets him take damage, but get knocked out at certain damage percentages, it's completely different.
Uhhhh.... no. The "damage" that is required to knock Yoshi out of his DJ armor is measured through knockback; we just use the percents as reference points because knockback increases as Yoshi's percent increases. Why do you think Metaknight's Shuttle Loop knocks us out of our DJ at 34%, whereas Sheik's strongest kill move won't knock us out til about 40 or 50% later?

So when what do you consider Snake's upB armor? Heavy armor takes damage until a certain amount can knock the character out of it. Been that way since Melee.
Snake's UpB armor is actually based on the percent damage of the attack I believe. However, in contrast to Yoshi's DJ armor, this stays constant throughout all of Snake's percents.

Edit: Oh, Polt already explained Snake's stuff.

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
For Yoshi's grab release CG

I'm having trouble knowing when to buffer the dash grab because people mash out at such different time. Is there some visual cue I could use and buffer it as soon as I see it?

Also, is there some way to practice it? Against a CPU, they can't escape, even if its a terrible re-grab. Is there something in training mode maybe?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I've tried putting the AI in Training Mode to avoid or attack to try and simulate the feel for an escape, but there's no better way than practicing on a human.

The buffer timing for the dash grab is VERY lenient. You can actually input the buffer on reaction. Once they break, you have maybe 1/3 or 1/4 of a second to notice and then put in the next grab. The best time to buffer that I've found is when Yoshi replants his foot on the ground after the break. On the release animation, Yoshi will reel back and one of his feet will swing into the air. Timing your inputs for when his foot lands or is about to land is the best.

Also keep in mind that some characters require different timings for the release options. For Falco you need to dash grab right away, but for other characters, you may need to run or wait for a little bit. Usmashing Ness on release is sort of like this. You need to dash forward and wait a little for him to sink down before you Usmash.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Oh and im not exactly sure what CG list you read from but it might be the inaccurate one. I don't believe that we ever actually updated it. But honestly humans are your best bet. Even if its wifi, a person who knows how to get out will get out if you did it wrong.

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
And when you buffer the dash grab, do you hold the analog stick or just flick it?

Thanks for your help with all my Yoshi questions!

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
It depends on who you're CGing. I usually flick. After you hit grab it doesn't matter if you hold anymore though. And no problem that what we're here for.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
That question will net you a lot of different answers. Some say it's even, others say we get *****.

My opinion on it changes all the time. They can both be really gay to each other though, that's for sure.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Take falco to frigate and cg him to the right side that has no ledge then run off and egglay him.

Yikarur

Smash Master
you HAVE TO flick the controlstick to buffer a dash grab btw.
When you release you hav 1/2 Second to react to it (you can't move for 29 frames).
You need to input dash, release the stick and hit grab and releasing grab from frame 19 to 29.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
One more on the CG

What do you do once you get them to the edge? Do you release them again or throw them?
Depends on who. If its someone you think you can gimp pretty easily, release. If not just throw for the extra %

you HAVE TO flick the controlstick to buffer a dash grab btw.
When you release you hav 1/2 Second to react to it (you can't move for 29 frames).
You need to input dash, release the stick and hit grab and releasing grab from frame 19 to 29.
Funny cause i didn't know that, I just do it tbh lol. CG is like second nature by now.

Yikarur

Smash Master
most of the time when you CG you'll probably not buffering it, you don't need a buffered dash grab at almost everyone except Falco. it's like the biggest time window on MK lol

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
I thought I had it before, but Pika was jumping before I could re-grab.

I've got you now!

EDIT:

How do you beat a projectile spammer?

Like... my brother uses Pikachu and Pit.

He stand on one edge of the stage and spams Jolt/Arrows. Since I can't crawl, and can't really jump, I have to attempt to PS my way through, and which point he either Smashes me away or I hit him to the other side. I can still win, but mostly because he sucks at the game, but x_x

Top Bottom