• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I was reading a few posts back about the falco matchup, and I'd just like to say, I love it when people spot dodge lasers. It is literally a free punish. If you're further away, we can punish with a phantasm, and if you're about mid range we can dash attack or dacus. Don't spot dodge lasers. It's not a good idea. Just take the about 5-7% it takes to approach falco. You're a heavy character anyway.

Also, did the match between delta-cod and keitaro ever get uploaded?
Eating lasers doesn't really help any, either. And you'd kind of have to read a spotdodge to get any real punish on it unless we're up really close.

I haven't seen the set get uploaded. I don't think they will be either, unless Vinnie still plans on uploading the matches from the tournament. =/

D

Deleted member

I was reading a few posts back about the falco matchup, and I'd just like to say, I love it when people spot dodge lasers. It is literally a free punish. If you're further away, we can punish with a phantasm, and if you're about mid range we can dash attack or dacus. Don't spot dodge lasers. It's not a good idea. Just take the about 5-7% it takes to approach falco. You're a heavy character anyway.

Frame data disagrees but ok .

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Hey, I just wanted to know if the GR > spike on the ledge against Falco is guaranteed on Lylat if you release him and run off as the stage is in the process of tilting down on the side you released him. It seems like it is to me but I wanna know if anyone else is sure on this.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Hit him out of the sky with egg toss and finish with egg roll.

P.S Changed my main from jiggly to yoshi because I discovered that I'm awesome as him.

P.P.S Just did a 16 win streak online as yoshi.

P.P.P.S New to forum and idk how to get an avatar, help please.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I think Olimar is a little less complicated than Snake,but still a -1 for us.

We have eggs to force his approach,but he has Pikmins to force our approach too,so we have to be more quickly with eggs than he is with pikmins,I think the best thing in this case is to already start throwing some eggs at the start of the match,because Olimar needs to prepare his pikmins first. :p

Both characters has a very useful Pivot grab,so use need to use it when we have the opportunity,but take care to don´t give a opportunity to him to do the same thing.

We can kill pikmins more easily than most of the cast(in my opinion) so to deal with pikmins is not THAT hard.

After approaching with a Bair,we can give a Usmash on his face too.(It never failed with me :p)

There are more things to talk about this MU,but I think these are some of the most important things on this MU...
You'ce basically just said + - 0. We both lure each-other in, both has a good pivot grab, we can kill his pikmins and can smash his face in with smashes. Not only this but adding in my own reasons, yoshi's heavy-weight (WTF) so him chucking pikmins at us doesn't really effect us. Scrap what I said earlier, if anything it's +1 to us!:bee::bee::bee:

What's this about lylat? I mean sure, goos in official tournies, but for friendly tourneys go for a scrolling stage like rumble falls since he's such a high jumper; with little jump lag too, go for 75m!

jigglover

Smash Lord

Best advice ever. Don't worry about getting about %20-30 on you, just advance nd do one attack. Good advice, such good advice...

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
You'ce basically just said + - 0. We both lure each-other in, both has a good pivot grab, we can kill his pikmins and can smash his face in with smashes. Not only this but adding in my own reasons, yoshi's heavy-weight (WTF) so him chucking pikmins at us doesn't really effect us. Scrap what I said earlier, if anything it's +1 to us!:bee::bee::bee:
+1 on Olimar is my dream,but only a dream...

jigglover said:
What's this about lylat? I mean sure, goos in official tournies, but for friendly tourneys go for a scrolling stage like rumble falls since he's such a high jumper; with little jump lag too, go for 75m!
Stop trolling.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Like most characters all they need to do before passing a platform on say... Lylat Smashville etc. you just flick C-stick down for Dair or you can tap down twice and do a safer Platform cancel in case you mess up and do an empty Dair.

I was going to provide a video example but can't find that one video of platform canceling Scatz had on his channel... If you need a video example best I can say is find any match of mine on Smashville and you'll see tons of those.

Edit: Nvm, found it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrk0YZ-jzUg&feature=plcp

Wilmenz

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow i thought i would be able to platform cancel with the shield method, i guess i won't be able to Super Ramin Cancel with Yoshi then :(, but still thank you for your help.

D

Deleted member

Lol@how uselessly technical that would be.
2 things:
why didnt u enter singles delta.
And
did you guys see GYK rage on the video of u and raptor playing dubs vs siebrik and mvd lolol.
classic

D

Deleted member

"You guys are SOOO FUNNY! LMO... look ~GYK~ is laughing. You guys will never change. You guys will never get better. You guys think only people that go to tournaments got it all. You guys are failures. You're all the same, and will never change. Tbh you guys make me hate playing Yoshi. I never know why I came here. Oh yea I do, because someone told once again their doing the same sh*t well keep losing. At least you won 1 match... ~GYK~"
-Our glorious leader, GYK.

" I'm gonna stop letting my bros tell me who comments about these stupid things. Dude *who ever you are* Why would I be falltered? Does it look like I need more attention? I know Delta, and Raptor saw my comment, but don't got man balls to comment back. If I ever go to a tournamnet. I will make sure for all the yoshi's to stfu. Just wait till I go to a tourney. You aggro with yoshi is bad? Well you haven't seen GYk'S aggroness ~GYK~"
-Our evermore charismatic leader, GYK

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I didn't enter Singles because I could not be around for the entire day on Sunday, when bracket was being run. I actually had to leave 2 hours after bracket started, so I didn't want to make it out of pools then forfeit bracket.

Instead, I showed up and MM'd people for profit. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

Oh you're right. If raptor made it out than anyone could make it out :071:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Throw eggs, usmash, uair, nair, bair, and pivot grab. Shes fast, so are we, its a fight to hold stage/platform control, dont shield, if you can do the CG its very helpful, go to lylat, watch for her stuns, her jab on shield, her uair, etc.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Sorry to bump this thread, but could someone explain to me the egg toss wave bounce without B-sticking if anyone knows how to? (I can perform it, I just want to understand it better cause I find it hard)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
As soon as you press up b, immediately flick in the direction your back is facing (so flick in the direction you are NOT facing), then you should wavebounce and have time to angle your shot as well.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
*late reply* Thanks for that Z'zgashi, works for me really well :D

Another few questions for anyone who can answer:

1.On a platform, eg Battlefield's platforms, running off the side of the platform and using B reverse makes you go through and under the platform.(presuming I'm not the only one who knows about this :p )
Now, I've also done this with egg toss slide a few times, but I can't figure it out properly. I'm guessing it's just wavebouncing the egg, but this seems really hard to do. Anyone know anything about this?

2. Idk if this is a Yoshi specific trick or not, but in some vids of Yoshi I've watched on youtube, I've seen them jump through a platform and land on it right away, instead of finishing the rest of the jump and falling back down onto it. Does anyone know how to do this?

3. How do you do a 'continuous' jab? As in, jab1>jab1>jab1 instead of jab1>jab2? Cause I've tried the obvious and tried to just space the jabs apart but I never seem to get it right >.>

I'd really appreciate any help I can get on this. :bee:

Sharky

Smash Master
I'VE GOT THIS!

1) You need to input a jump, egg toss before leaving the ground to achieve a sliding effect, then hit the control stick back towards the platform for the b-reverse.

2) It could be platform canceling, which is done by either inputting a dair, releasing down on the control stick, or flicking down on the control stick as you pass through a moving platform.

It could also be a DR waveland. This is done by double jumping then inputting an aerial at the exact right timing so that yoshi lands with the aerial during the small timeframe in his double jump where he is falling.

3) jab, buffer a crouch, buffer/input a jab, repeat.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Wow thanks a lot Sharky! :D Amazing.

1. I think I understand the input but I can't seem to get it down right. Do we still ETS to do this? If so, do we do it while ETS'ing off the platform? *still fails*
What would this be called anyway?

2. I can't seem to get the timing down for this. What part of Yoshi needs to be where when flicking down on the control stick? And does this only work on moving platforms?

3. Works like a charm, thanks! :D

Top Bottom