• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
a bad sideB can lead to dumb **** in the MK matchup

just watch the recent me vs kismet video. the first stock of game 1, and the first stock of game 2.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I meant in that MU.
your vid was falco.

also didn't see your edit until i came back to get your quote:

"It's hard for MK to punish it with a low lag attack and he risks getting punished if he makes a wrong prediction with a laggier attack"

when you say side-b, I'm thinking you mean side-b all together, that includes kick and flip. Kick is one Diddy's laggiest moves and super easy to punish OoS, hell it can be punished on hit at low percents. It's not hard for MK to punish grabs either, although it's safer if he's close enough to the edge. Side-b is a move you can punish on reaction in a lot of cases. First off for the flip, you have to risk not being bad and landing with the flip lag on the ground (very easy to do on stages like YI though, the only way to do it on YI is to sacrifice the speed of the move), if you're not bad and you land with an air dodge or you're out of the move or such you also have to make sure that you don't get punished for that, which it gets covered by the same things a ledge drop air dodge onto the stage does which and it's not that hard to punish from the ledge, especially with MK. It IS a good mix up, I agree, it's just not something people should be overusing especially since a lot of players already expect it based off of stereotype of the Diddy MU. Kind of like how a lot of people predict Falco/Fox's ledge drop>phantasm, same concept because in theory that move is great from the ledge (and still is in reality), but because so many people have that stereotype of how good of option it is and how much falco/fox users use it they already predict it so you should use it less often that what you theorized. I usually only go for the flip if they're near the edge and have their shield up trying to predict the get up attack or something like that and the kick I usually do if they're charging an attack or in the lag of something else.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
In order to punish it, you have to predict when they are going to jump back on stage. The only things that can punish it without much prediction are tornado and shuttle loop and these moves can be baited and used to get back on stage

Player-1

Smash Legend
You don't have to predict, you can punish it on reaction in a lot of cases. And like I said, it gets covered by a lot of the same options used to cover other moves. Like you said nado and shuttle loop cover both options if predicted correctly (also, if used right you can't get back after nado because you have to drop down to dodge the nado and MK should already be out of lag by the time you can do anything, unless you have a naner in hand). Shield grab/attack beat the kick which is used for ledge hop fairs and get up attacks. Spotdoding beats out flip (kick too if timed right) which is used in the same cases. Depending on the attack it can outrange both, but most attacks in the game outrange flip for sure. Like I said also before, most people already have a general stereoytpe that Diddy's like to side-b from the edge so they'll be expecting it. Also, if you get punished without touching the ground then you lose your midair jump which is a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE position to be in against MK offstage.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I never said to flip kick. just use the grab. If the MK tornadoes before you side b, just regrab the ledge and jump back on stage when he retreats. The grab should go through the tornado if he tries to punish you as you monkey flip back on stage because of the starting lag. Proper prediction of the flip is the only way to punish a diddy trying to get back on stage

Player-1

Smash Legend
1. I already pointed this out, but I guess you don't read well either, but you said side-b. Side-b consist of both the kick and the flip so I'm only going to naturally assume you're talking about both, if you're not then say flip or kick.
2. I already said this too, I swear you only browse through what I post and don't read the details...If the MK does it right then the only way to avoid the tornado is to drop down and then grab onto the ledge again which still puts you at a disadvantage because he should already be out of the lag from the tornado unless you have a banana in your hand.
3. The grab only goes through the tornado if he's close to the edge where it's in the very beginning of the nado, also it has to be spaced right. MK shouldn't be nadoing you when he's close to the edge anyway though.
4. Yes, when you properly predict something you can punish everything, but he has a much greater chance of hitting you anyway because of his options. The reasoning is that so many of his moves cover multiple options you have meaning he doesn't have to predict as well giving him the edge, getting punished near the ledge with MK is very very bad, especially if you don't have a mid air jump (which you have to use for the side-b)

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
How can you not punish the tornado or at least get back on stage after you bait it? Use your invincibility frames

Player-1

Smash Legend
if frame perfect you have roughly 16 or 17 frames to punish it with fair, a good amount of a window to punish it with, but if you miss then/predict wrong then you get punished even easier (well that's just what i've found from personal experience) than a side-b. Also, even if frame perfect, side-b (which is what we're discussing, not fair) can't beat nado unless you grab/kick him out near the beginning, you can't do it with the invin. frames. See nado is a great option for MK indeed, and one of his more common choices, but MK still has an abundance of other great options he can choose from. Also, MK can just wait for your invincibility frames go away as long as he is out of range of your fair then he can't do much.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Yeah he wasn't playing his best, but I've beaten him in a set two weeks before that 3-0.

When I get enough sleep I'm really good.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Yeah he wasn't playing his best, but I've beaten him in a set two weeks before that 3-0.

When I get enough sleep I'm really good.
That was like 2 months ago... march..

jeez everyone brags about beating me.

Player-1

Smash Legend
too bad I've been 3rd in GA for like ever, last season I was actually 6th though because I dropped for only going to 2 tournaments that whole season >.>

COW.

Smash Rookie
Hi guys! I'm really new to this site, but I've been playing Brawl for a little while now and I want to get a lot better and after I stumbled across this site I figured that all of you were the people to talk to for tips and advice n stuff. I like playing as diddy so I thought I'd post here.. I'm not really sure what you guys are reffering to in your abbreviatiions and such but if you have any general tips or just suggestions on steps I could take to becoming a player that's at the level your all at would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Oh and on my profile is my Brawl code and if any of you guys ever want to play a friendly match that would be really cool.

Count

Smash Champion
The first thing you want to do(after understanding Diddy's basic moveset) is learning Diddy's techs. Glide tossing, dribbling, instant throwing, b reversals, peanut gun cancels, to name a few. After that, you can start working on gameplay items such as mixups and reads. If you want help with this stuff check out the stickies or shoot me a pm :)

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
Welcome COW! The stickies will help you a lot. Getting comfortable with Diddy is important, then learn the really basic techs, where you can find in some of the stickied threads.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Yeah that is instant throwing, it can just be used to throw out of an airdodge when you dont use that airdodge to catch it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom