• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
:O

My first post of many more here

I'm maining diddy because ADHD beat me with him >_<

Nah, he's just the only good char besides marth I can use ._.

I'm having slight problems w/ MK

I can't punish grounded SL. without a naner in my hand.

Is it possible?

liljp112

Smash Cadet
So you know those little cylindrical things that Diddy drops when he uses his final smash? The ones that you can eat for health like food? I never knew what they were, but I'm starting to think that they're banana slices... Anyways, one just appeared on the stage when I was playing a no-items game against a CPU diddy.

Any explanations?
those are peanuts, when ever sometimes when someone shoots a peanut or when he uses his final smash the peanuts break and pieces end up on the ground

Luigi player

Smash Master
They don't appear if you have items set to off and none... so in tournament they should never appear (unless it's an item tourney).

Jokes

Smash Cadet
:O

My first post of many more here

I'm maining diddy because ADHD beat me with him >_<

Nah, he's just the only good char besides marth I can use ._.

I'm having slight problems w/ MK

I can't punish grounded SL. without a naner in my hand.

Is it possible?
You can UAir or FAir (Maybe USmash) OoS to punish his glide, shield his glide attack, (if he aims for you) or UpB OoS if he's higher than 60%. Just make sure you input FAir or UAir before he glide attacks. :S

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
I think I should start using any char. bandwagon FT..W?

ADHD You did this to me. You made me realize I can't get top 3 with lucas outside of low tiers.

Ok so. How the **** do you get out of autopilot?

*Goes to watch ADHD + Gnes vids*

Jokes

Smash Cadet
YOU ONLY HAVE 37 POSTS YOU NUB. WHY SHOULD I LISTEN TO YOU >_<. I WANT PROS.

Thankkssss =D
SAYS THE LUCAS MAIN.

I think I should start using any char. bandwagon FT..W?

ADHD You did this to me. You made me realize I can't get top 3 with lucas outside of low tiers.

Ok so. How the **** do you get out of autopilot?

*Goes to watch ADHD + Gnes vids*
Questions questions questions, and I'm the only one here to answer them. :O
You just need to think before you throw. Try not to just aggressive them the entire match, and watch how they react. If they shield, dribble forward to grab/Diddy Hump. If they spotdodge, you can run up and dribble under them or dribble forward to Dash Attack/USmash. Punish landings with dribble. Don't do the same thing over and over. (Garabon just dribbles backwards to GT forward and forward.) It's mostly just using your brain the entire match instead of thinking the banana is a slice of heaven always bound to work.

Dekar173

Justice Man
SAYS THE LUCAS MAIN.

Questions questions questions, and I'm the only one here to answer them. :O
You just need to think before you throw. Try not to just aggressive them the entire match, and watch how they react. If they shield, dribble forward to grab/Diddy Hump. If they spotdodge, you can run up and dribble under them or dribble forward to Dash Attack/USmash. Punish landings with dribble. Don't do the same thing over and over. (Garabon just dribbles backwards to GT forward and forward.) It's mostly just using your brain the entire match instead of thinking the banana is a slice of heaven always bound to work.
AKA mix it up.

There's no definite "this is the answer to all of your problems" because that's how Brawl works. Very few scenarios are answered with "do this, and ONLY this in situation X"

jokes why aren't you at Winterfest? I'd kill to be in florida right now =/

skabs

Smash Rookie
Random question. A few months ago I started using Barrels as a pseudo-counter against predictable attacks, or an effective ledge guard against predictable recoveries (such as DDD or Ike) and get up attacks. In my experience, it has proven to be an effective method of delivering a surprise kill, or at least making it a lot harder for opponents to recover. However, I have watched a lot of Diddy vids, and have rarely seen this tech used. Is it just that it is not well known (doubtful) or do most pros view it as too risky to employ? I know that it cannot really be abused, as it primarily relies on surprise and can be easily punished if predicted or improperly executed, but I am still able to pull it out of my growing bag of tricks every now and then. What do you guys think? Any feedback is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Jokes

Smash Cadet
AKA mix it up.

There's no definite "this is the answer to all of your problems" because that's how Brawl works. Very few scenarios are answered with "do this, and ONLY this in situation X"

jokes why aren't you at Winterfest? I'd kill to be in florida right now =/

I'm poor and have no ride. Lmao.

Advanced techniques are additions to your "mixing up" as well.
Dribble, instant throw, barrel cancel, OoS options. So many to list.
KONGPENDIUM?
Also, if you haven't already, try to use different followups after a trip. I've played some Diddy's who just dash attack after a trip, then run back and grab the nanner.
For more reference to THIS as well, KONGPENDIUM?

It's really good against DDD and snake, but against smaller characters (especially ice climbers or metaknight) it's easily countered and stricter to space.
Just try using Side B on a Pikachu.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Diddy isn't a good secondary for anyone really. He takes a lot of time to master (same with Peach) , and nobody is going to put that much time in for a secondary.

sai_:)

Smash Ace
On battle field? i think he does great there. I used to HAAAAATE it there but ive learned alot since that time and diddy can do fantastic things there. like the platforms that were once an issue arent anymor because you can just z-catch them and or instant throw them. Not to mention it gives you the sides for you to Wall jump with. which adds alot of extra stage specific tricks and mixup that isnt normally available to you. Not to mention its a stage that allows you to utilize diddy's excellent aerials in a safe enviornment. Im not fully sure how great it is for each individual matchup but im sure someone else here is. Overall its definetly a solid diddy stage,and in most stage striking process...your probably gonna end up there....sooo practice up on battle field.

Jokes

Smash Cadet
Sai90: Overall its definetly a solid diddy stage,and in most stage striking process...your probably gonna end up there....sooo practice up on battle field.

I almost always end up on BF if Lylat is the 5th neutral, if PS1 is, I end up there. =/
BF is great as a Diddy stage, it's just that other characters do so much better there, which is the main reason BF isn't our first choice. (Snake, Marth, Ike, Metaknight, Wario, Jigglypuff, Game and Watch and more that I can't think of ALL do better there than Diddy does)

Still, practice up on it, for the reason Sai said, AND because Marth is going to take you there. O_O (Sometimes other characters listed above ^^^)

Edit: Fail Quote is Fail.

Smash Ace
My region always has Lylat on as a neutral instead of PS1 so i have to strike lylat and yoshis. then of course they strike FD and SV...so thats all thats left sadly.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Imo- if glide-camping rules aren't enstated to stop MK's from making an already difficult match-up even harder, then we've gotta learn Yoshi's like the back of our hand as a neutral.

They can't glide underneath, they can't platform camp as effectively as on BF, and the walls on the stage are a godsend for teching > recovering against an offstage happy MK.

I've hated (well, just disliked it in comparison to other neutrals) this stage for a long time, but now I'm coming to see that it may actually be the future of Diddy's success >.>

Characters to be careful against on this stage- Olimar (ugh) and DK.

DK has some really cool invincibility abusing moves here, and Olimar is Olimar.

What other character(s) are amazing on YI ?

TreK

Is "that guy"
you "have to" ? wtf.
I wouldn't go to BF against Falco and Marth and a few others like Peach or Luigi if there is Lylat as a neutral. They can even waste a strike on Lylat and you'll end up playing on SV.

Smash Ace
From my experience if i dont strike Lylat its where im going to end up. I personally feel far more comfortable on battlefield than on Lylat or yoshi's. I can probably learn to just deal with yoshi's if need be but BF has been working well for me lately and ive got alot of practice there both in and out of tournaments. Overall tho i HAAAAAAAAAATE lylat. ive played on it soooo much but i just cant stand that **** stage. Its probably not even like the worst diddy stage ever but i personally just truly truly TRULY hate it there.

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
you "have to" ? wtf.
I wouldn't go to BF against Falco and Marth and a few others like Peach or Luigi if there is Lylat as a neutral. They can even waste a strike on Lylat and you'll end up playing on SV.
Wat. Peach and Luigi are BF are so much easier cuz they can't go high enough in the air to avoid peanut camping. But then that just might be playing bad players. :I

DFEAR

Smash Hero
fighting biglu at winterfest taught me alot of **** in the luigi-diddy matchup. his upwards tilted fsmash is super fast as **** and almost punishable, his nair oos is beast, etc etc good luigi stuff. but what really helped with the matchup more is the fact that instead of glide tossing u could just normal throw the banana (not smash throw) and he will slide a bit but a bit enough to where the end of dash attack still hits him where u could possibly fair or upair him compared to a smash thrown glide tossed banana where it makes luigi slide across the WHOLE stage practically. surprisingly i underestimated luigi's airdodge its quite good mixup since he can cross u up behind u or in front etc etc mixup jab combo etc etc

any more tips i can use for against luigi besides camp? any aggressive options or tricks?

Smash Ace
Seems like you have the right idea. I usually play my diddy really aggressively buuut not in the luigi matchup. Camping is definetly the way to go. also try to save your kill moves( aka d-smash in this match) till about 140. cause If your fighting a weegee(or anyone really) with good DI and you stale d-smash...your kinda screwed. I mean yeah youve got Fair but your probably going to use it a considerable amount. Also if the luigi is unfortunate enough to have to recover low, you can stop his tornado with a banana. That usually ruins his recovery enough where he will either die or you can get an edgehog. sorry if my input here is a little generic but aggro diddy just doesnt do well against luigi.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
i like how luigi kills pit at 45% with a jab>upb...its lol

btw full hop uncharged peanut shot> full hop descending peanut shots is a beast wall :3

Jokes

Smash Cadet
but what really helped with the matchup more is the fact that instead of glide tossing u could just normal throw the banana (not smash throw) and he will slide a bit but a bit enough to where the end of dash attack still hits him where u could possibly fair or upair him compared to a smash thrown glide tossed banana where it makes luigi slide across the WHOLE stage practically
Just another reason to learn weak glide toss...

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
What are some good vids to watch to learn MUs?

I know ADHD v Ally a Gnes v Razer for snake.

But what about MK?

Shadow v ADHD? Ksizzle v ADHD? ADHD V M2K? Gnes v DPhat? (if that's happened) Gnes V Lee?

And

How can I find matches v Wario/Falco/DDD?

Anybody know some off the top of his head? I don't wanna go through 1490533 matches just to find a good example ._.

FFFF I just dropped mad names.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Just check my thread. Unlike everyone else you get to know the player, character, and stage before you even see the video, so you can quickly scroll through my thread and pick what you need. There are matches vs:
-Lain's D3
-Lain's Ice Climbers
-Meep's Ice Climbers
-ChuDat's Ice Climbers
-ChuDat's Kirby
-Y.b.M.'s Kirby
-M2K's MK
-Dojo's MK
-Judge's MK
-Domo's MK
-Overswarm's MK
-Kel's MK
-Capem's MK
-Inui's MK
-Ally's Snake
-Candy's Snake
-Nope's Snake
-Samurai Panda's Snake
-G-reg's Snake
-Infern's Snake (I think?)
-Forward's Pit
-Snakeee's ZSS
-Anther's Pikachu
-Shugo's Sonic
-T0mmy's ROB
-Overswarm's ROB
-Keitaro's Falco
-D1's Falco
-Quivo's Toon Link
-Needle of Juntah's G&W
-Fonz' Lucario

In Doubles
-UTD Zac's GW
-Peirce's Marth
-Almost everyone mentioned above

With set/game wins vs almost all of those players (I think Ally/Domo/Keitaro/Candy/Judge are the only people I don't have a video of me taking at least 1 game from and its usually cause we only played once (or in Candy/Ally's case, twice, but I suck vs Snake, sigh, go watch ADHD/Gnes for Snake cause they get good consistent Snake practice).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom