• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The old SWF

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure that SWF started in August 2000, which is Gideon's (the site creator) join date. Most people, however, don't have a join date before march 2001, nor can you find any threads started before that time. Why? There was a massive server crash in march 2001 that deleted almost everything on SWF. There's actually a thread where everyone had to ask Gideon to have their post counts restored.

There's a bit of SWF history for ya. Found out myself by digging through old threads. ;)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I wish I could dig through the archives and have a good look at all the threads and such.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Darn, that's when I first started using a home computer, if only I knew about Smashboards back then. *sigh*

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Hey guys.

Holy ****.

Check this out

Its still there. I can't believe it. All the old threads just still there, catagorized as they were all those years ago....

Zodiac

Smash Master
When I saw the thread title I thought "Oh yea, back when every other thread didnt get locked"

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
It's not like they delete the subforums. If you keep entering numbers in the forum display in your URL you run across subforums that dont exist anymore

its fun

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You act like we still need to acess this forum in an organized manner XD

What ever DID happen to the SmashRPG? I'm curious.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
I miss the old smashboards. Back in the 70's, this place was bumpin.

Though back in '05 this place was cool too. I remember the common posters back then. Thomas Tipman, Dan Smith, 311 (who is a big jerk and got a name change), etc. Then CORY, who had closing posts of the gods. I also remember Begolfer, whose posting rate at one point must have hit undefined. I also remember when there were only 3 nonstandard colors for your username, and we liked it! :mad::mad::mad:

Also, back in '05, did SWF have a red and black skin? For some reason I remember there being one.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
I remember way back before this when we didn't even have the RPG thing. Yawn. ;)

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Information: We made around $600 from the "pay for the Broom" thing, but unfortunately never got any of it. We had it go into a paypal account set up by Dodongo and he smoked all of it :(

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Information: We made around $600 from the "pay for the Broom" thing, but unfortunately never got any of it. We had it go into a paypal account set up by Dodongo and he smoked all of it :(
lol

i remember back in the day when Dodongo was Donkey Dong.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
... Does mid 2009 count as old? **** it I wish I was already at that stage where I would be considered one of them 10 year old veterans...

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
yeah. I used to have a lower member # before the big crash, then all of a sudden I was member 747. I was T.Oed!

the RPG was pretty lame and stupid.
I was #3653 before the crash deleted me.
rage rage rage rage rage :mad:

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
i remember back in the day when hiemie signed his posts off with :beezo:

and when he was pretty legit for his GaW. ^^

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
... Does mid 2009 count as old? **** it I wish I was already at that stage where I would be considered one of them 10 year old veterans...
No, unfortunately...I don't even count as old and I've been here a year longer.

But I can still be awesome and nostalgic about the forums back when I had only been here for a few months. I specifically rifled through the May 18th and on archives in 2008 to find someplace where The Custom Pokémon Shop was the most recently posted in thread in the Poké Center.

I love nostalgia.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
I forget my old userid. 6002? 6006? One of those. Can't believe you lot remember.

(hey anyone know what port the friend finder used to connect to? I totally didn't make it my userid)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I remember Hiemie completely owning me and annoying jammez in Brawl with his Wario when the game first came out. that's the only time i've played Smash with anyone besides my personal friends.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I joined in April '08, but so much has changed since then. Registered users didn't have custom avatars, and custom titles were just as rare. There weren't as many group memberships, so colored names were rarer. Admin was bold/italic red and if I recall correctly, there were no senators. Premies and Smash Writers were not as easily found (the latter still aren't). No Social Groups, no Visitor Messages, no Legend of Zelda room, and were there friend requests? Can't remember. Everything felt more competitive, so posting more seriously and productively was heavily encouraged.

While I can be a bit nostalgic for those times, I'm proud of what Smashboards has become ca. 2010, and am wholeheartedly glad to be a part of the Staff.

Top Bottom