• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The online co-op modes

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Has anyone ever played Multi-Man Brawl or Home Run Contest online? I just tried it out for the first time today, after all this time. It's a nice way to take a break from the usual brawls online, aside from dull taunt parties. Obviously if nobody else plays it, then this thread can die off. Otherwise...

With good communication from your partner, these co-op modes of play can be quite fun and allow you to reach scores you wouldn't normally get playing solo. There's also a good element of strategy in who you pick for your characters. In HRC, if you and your partner pick characters with rapid jabs, you can surround the sandbag and jab-lock it pretty effectively for nice damage. Or trap the sandbag between a grounded character and one that attacks it from above. Ivysaur's bullet seed to Ganon's aerial stomps could deal some nice damage. Or even go with two Yoshis trading downward aerials. Experiment around for best results.

Likewise, the Team Multi-Man Brawls have plenty of potential depending on who both people pick. I find the 100-man and 3-minute options to be the best overall with a partner. As two Pikachus, we finished 100-man in just over 2 minutes, which beats any of my solo attempts. I bet it could go down to nearly 90 seconds if played well. Cruel Brawl could be played pretty effectively with two good plankers on opposite ends. Any combination of Jigglypuff, Pit, Metaknight, and some others could get some good kill counts collectively.

So what are your strategies? Which combinations of characters do you find to work well? Discuss.

Zulo

Smash Ace
Kinda what you mentioned. Ganonstomping and thunderspamming are kinda broken in those two things. Just have each player stand on one of the low platforms, mute the TV, and spam thunder until forever.

I feel like Ganon's dair is better than Yoshi's because his takes so long. But it does do a ton of damage.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
In Multi-man Brawl, I like being Lucas. I just spam PKT and hit all the alloys while my partner runs around and deals with the ones I miss or are to close to me, but PK Fire, Utilt and Ftilt take care of that in most cases. The tactic is good as long as both players don't resort to that, because it just gets stupid
Lucas/Anyone -Lucas is a good team in multi man. >____>
In Cruel brawl, I'm Pit, or Falco just for their projectiles to rack up damage. TL doesn't do it for me.

I don't do HRC, but when I do, I just get lucky to get 5000 or more.

It's hard to have a strategy when neither player pays any attention to the other or even takes a minute to come up with one.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Further experimentation offline

Since I don't have anyone to brawl with offline, I decided to try Home Run Contest with two controllers. I mostly went for characters with rapid jabs since it's easy enough to take control of both simultaneously. Just have P2 roll right immediately, start rapid jabs, and then have P1 start rapid jabs within a quarter second or so. If timed right both players will lock the sandbag perfectly so it does not move at all. Be sure to give yourself the final two seconds or so to quickly pick up the bat as P1 and give it your best swing.

Initially I thought a pair of Fox players worked well, but then I found a pair of Dededes to be even better. Due to their rapid damage, I sent the bag over 3800 feet! Despite this "feat" (ha) offline, it's obviously applicable online. Any better, more complex tactic out there almost has to have another human involved, unless you're good with your feet!

Top Bottom