• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Peach Q & A Thread

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Yeah I use tilt stick. One of the few people that do. Like anything unorthodox it's hard to use at first, but I like it. Well I'll just go over the pro's and con's that I care about anyway:

Benefits of Smash C-stick:
Can SDI
Space Smash Attacks better
Can use f-smash while holding items (can doop walk lol)
Auto FF for DI
Easier to buffer from other actions (e.g. timing Marth's f-smash after d-throw requires some precision manually but with c-stick, you can buffer whenever)

Tilt stick:
Con's:
If you buffer the tilt stick to soon after any move you will automatically jump. Starting out this is probably the hardest thing to get used to.
Can not space smash attacks as well
Absolutely no help towards DI or SDI

Pro's
You can use nair and input another direction in the air.
You can dair without FF'ing.
You can space tilts better, and much easier to do on reaction.
Allows for normal glide tossing

There are probably some other points but these are the only ones I care about. Anyway honestly the list of pro's does not seem that great, and I personally do not recommend tilt stick unless you find it critical to your gameplay.
Points one and two are the main reasons I use tilt stick. Essentially with tilt stick you have complete control over aerial mobility. It's not impossible to rising nair while moving forward without tilt stick, but it is much easier with it. Also the ability to control when you FF while dair'ing is pretty nice

I use c-stick for some characters and tilt stick for others, so go figure :laugh:

BTW Is peach's float faster than her dashing? How about her walking?

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Float is slower then both lol.

You do you normal glide toss? Does insta throwing still work?

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Yeah I do normal glide toss. Insta-throwing still works. I don't think there is a difference between smash aerial throws and normal aerial throws, so it doesn't matter. But idk for sure. Tilt stick is essentially c-stick without DI capabilities and smash commands, so most things done with c-stick can be done with tilt stick

**** it, if only her float was faster.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Need help with the DDD matchup. I know peach can outcamp him but the DDD player i play is a god at powershielding. I also have a bad habit of forward glidetossing tunrips and i get shieldgrab. I know i need to stop that. But any other tips on beating a VERY defensive DDD? Also any tips on recovering safely. I normally have a hard time getting to the ledge with DDD just bairing me all day once im off stage.(Which is largely due to her god awful ff speed)

BLI7ZARD

Smash Apprentice
The beauty of upsmash out of shield is that you don't waste 7 frames with a shield drop. So it's actually QUICKER to usmash out of shield than it is to drop shield and do any smash that is at least 7 frames!! HOLY **** OMG.
I almost dont know how to word this. How come with the upsmash you dont have to wait for the 7 frame shield drop? Also, what's the difference betwen out of shield and shield dropping after you get hit with something?. I thoguht you always had to wait for the shield to drop? im so confused

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
grab jump item throws and dodges can be performed without having to doing the shield drop anitmation first. up b and usmash can be jump canceled if you perform the usmash/up b during the start up of your jump. thats why you need tap jump to up b OoS without using a jump button.

OoS actually means options without the shielddrop, but most people refer to all shield and shield drop options as OoS.

Scaphist

Smash Apprentice
Can someone link me to any Peach stage discussion? (search isn't working for some reason)

If you don't have any, why don't you discuss it as either a) apart of the matchup discussions or b) have a thread for it?

Jigglypeach

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone here help me with a sig? The sig shop is like totally dead so i thought to just come here for one.

I would like it to have peach and jigglypuff in it and have the name Jigglypeach at the bottom of it of top (doesnt matter) I would just like it to look unique.

Oh and all the other sigs i have had in the past have always cut off the bottom of the sig... why is this?

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Can someone link me to any Peach stage discussion? (search isn't working for some reason)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=234322

Can anyone here help me with a sig? The sig shop is like totally dead so i thought to just come here for one.

I would like it to have peach and jigglypuff in it and have the name Jigglypeach at the bottom of it of top (doesnt matter) I would just like it to look unique.

Oh and all the other sigs i have had in the past have always cut off the bottom of the sig... why is this?
You're probably better off going to the A&E to get a sig or private messaging someone that does sigs for one.

With DP out of commision, I am in need of a peachy tutor. Anyone willing to help me over wifi :confused:

Also, who is bonewalking actually a great tech to use against besides MK.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
With DP out of commision, I am in need of a peachy tutor. Anyone willing to help me over wifi :confused:

Also, who is bonewalking actually a great tech to use against besides MK.

1. Discovering Peach yourself is really the best thing... And the most fun too.

2. Pretty much everyone. Snake, Wario, Marth, IC's, Pit, TL, DDD, GW, Samus, just to name a few.

:053:

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Just watch some videos and read up on the ATs, then try them yourself. That's actually the best way to learn Peach; tutoring would take much too long, especially since it would most likely result in dittos. It's pretty hard to learn the extent of Peach's abilities in dittos.

Kalmetam

Smash Journeyman
I just learned I was good with Peach when I was using random characters to fight against my friend and I did amazing with Peach.. from there on... Peach has been my main

I have a question:

In which scenarios does the toad move do the most impact?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Usually when the opponent is about to punish you with something. You can't be too hasty with it since it leaves a bit of frames that can be punished. I usually use a Reverse Toad while recovering, so I can return to the stage with a glide in a position where I can use Peach's back air if necessary.

I still say it is really not worth using unless you see someone being extremly predictable with stuff. And even then, if you are at high percents I wouldn't risk it.

The only good use I have found for it is like a 3rd jump. Since it stalls you in the air a bit when falling down for the first time, it is sort of like 2nd jumping above an attack, although with a lot more lag.

Usually when the opponent is about to punish you with something. You can't be too hasty with it since it leaves a bit of frames that can be punished. I usually use a Reverse Toad while recovering, so I can return to the stage with a glide in a position where I can use Peach's back air if necessary.
Which brings up an interesting point. Which is typically a better move to recover with. Fair, Bair, or Dair? Typically, it seems FF Dair is the best as it will occasionally stop other peoples attacks as they attempt to try to come up to hit you. Fair is a bit too laggy and requires almost horizontal spacing to be effective. Doesn't work coming down on opponent from above, only the side. And Bair seems to clash with way too many things.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
The way I see it, recovering with a forward air is pointless in most occasions. Why would you want to stale such a good move when you're recovering? You'd have to smack them the WHOLE way across the stage, which it's arguably one of Peach's dire kill potent moves.

Back air seems much safer in my opinion.

Down air isn't bad, but in some scenarios, it might not be too smart if the opponent is expecting it. I could be mistaken, so correct me if I'm wrong, but back air has more frames and a disjointed hitbox for a safe recovery, plus if you hit weakly with it, you're given a good opportunity to auto-cancel -> follow up when you release your glide.

It's a one time use of the move that may not even land a hit. The benefit is being able to get back to the stage somewhat safely. I think that outweighs the down side of making the move stale. Besides, peach doesn't really have a hard time trying to get damage on people. With moves like Jab and turnips, her stale moves should be getting refreshed pretty soon anyway. And Fair really doesn't start killing until around 130%+ on most characters anyway with DI included. If Fair is used early like one or two times, but the time you get to that percent to kill with it, it should be fresh again.

I think Bair vs Dair is all about timing. If you time Dair correctly, it will eat through someone trying to jump up at you and stop them before the aerial comes out. Bair seems to be used move to outrange someone, but is not the best at outranging people and often times clashes from my experience.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Yeah, I should have been a bit more clear on that. It's not really the staling factor I was getting at, so I shouldn't have even mentioned it. Fail on my part, so ignore that. What I was getting at mainly was that Peach has better options when it comes to recovering. Forward air is good and safe, but when you're looking for a good option to follow up on an opponent with {as well as being safe}, back air seems much more suitable.

I often use a weak Bair -> Nair out of my recovery with Peach if they're grounded. If they try to chase her in the air, Bair is still a really good spacing move. Shouldn't be difficult to get her back onto the stage safely with her back turned.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Is it possible to uair lock while holding down or do you have to hit down again after each jump? Also, what could I be doing wrong if the character flies too far away on the first uair? Should it be a full uair, because during mine her foot doesn't go up all the way, I think I'm hitting down too soon but I'm not sure.

What is bone walking? Is it different from free pulling? Is it viable to b stick with Peach?

How exactly do you do the bair lock? When I attempt it the character flies away when I hit or it looks like wasping and does nothing. I looked for a thread on it and bone walking but found nothing. Only thread on bair lock didn't explain how it was done.

What is d tilt lurching and float jerking? I saw someone mention them in another thread but couldn't find them either...

Sorry for all the questions...

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
What is bone walking? Is it different from free pulling? Is it viable to b stick with Peach?
Bonewalking is simply a dash pull done without a b-stick. A dash pull is this. Basically a long, forward moving free pull.

A free pull is simply moving during the turnip pull. The normal version is short, but you can move backwards as well as forward. See here.

I believe it's viable to bstick with Peach. It makes the turnip tricks easier, but her other tricks harder. You can do all the essentials (like glidetossing), but the one thing you can't physically do is the turnip-fsmash.

What is dtilt lurching and float jerking? I saw someone mention them in another thread but couldn't find them either...
Dtilt lurching is just using the IASA frames into another move. See here.

Float jerking is this useless thing.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong when I do the Uair string? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqLPxXX6IqY&feature=player_embeddded I can do it on fattys but I can never do more than one on fox and I can never do it out of a dair... I dair fox and then my uair always misses no matter how much I practice it. I'm pretty sure I auto cancel the dair right but Fox doesn't fly high enough to hit with uair afterwards. :S

Scaphist

Smash Apprentice
First you should get the upair chain itself down as well as you can, and not worry about the downair setup.

You'll want to get your upairs out as fast as you can, and doing as little upsmashes as possible, and you'll want to be hitting something so that the timing for it incorporates hitlag(so keep practicing this on a deadweight controller). Basicly you just want to make sure you're as consistent as possible with the part where you drop out of the float, then you do a ground floated upair again.

For practicing an actual upair string you should kill yourself between foxes stocks to refresh your upair. Not that you can't get it started with a staled upair, but you'll just want to keep it simple for now.

To set this up you can do it while the fox is just standing there if you hit him with a fresh upair at 30%. Turn handicap on in the options and preset foxes percent to 30 so you don't have to waste time damaging him up.

As far as I can tell, you can't send them purely vertical. They move forward or backward with each consecutive hit, so you'll have to move forward/backward to compensate.

Once you have that down well enough, you can work on the main setup(the shorthopped downair). For this put foxes starting percent at about 10, so that when the first upair hits, he'll have 24 damage on him already. This part is kind of hard for me to explain, but at some point after you hit the peak of your jump while downairing, fastfall, then do an upair as close to the ground as you can(doesn't have to be floated, but it can be). From here, just go on and do the upair string as normal.

I can explain the bair lock thing as well but I think you should just focus on the upair string for now, so I will save that for later(or someone else will).

If some of the things I say don't make a whole lot of sense just ask and I'll try and rephrase it or something.

Oh and I just now realized that I didn't really tell you what you were doing wrong...but I did say how to do it right...so it should still help.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Whenever I hit with the first uair they don't fly far enough up. Snake sometimes doesn't even move off the ground and it he does it's not high enough to hit with the second one before he touches the ground again. :S Also, can you hold down and do this or do you have to release it after ever uair?

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Scaphist hit the nail on the head here, though I would recommend learning the string on someone like snake or dedede and then afterwards moving up to wolf and then fox. Fox is by far the most difficult to uair string.

Whenever I hit with the first uair they don't fly far enough up.
Either your uair is stale (as Scaphist said) or you're trying to start it at too low a percent. Check the uair string thread if you want to see the earliest % the string is frame-guaranteed.

Also, can you hold down and do this or do you have to release it after ever uair?
hotgarbage said:
Jump -> control stick down during jump -> c-stick up after initial jump animation is done -> release float -> repeat
You have to release down because if you don't you'll end up buffering a crouch (and subsequently usmashing out of it) instead of jumping to start the next uair. Remember that you want to be buffing your next jump during the last uair's landing lag.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Oh, you guys are right... I can almost do it on everyone as long as I have them at the right percent. The only problem is doing it out of a dair, do you fast fall and then float or fast fall touch the ground and float then uair? I can do it if I float right after the dair but then theres too much landing lag to get off the second dair in time. Can someone explain the bair lock now? I try to hit with the second hitbox but it always misses.....

White-Peach

Smash Ace
Short hop the DAir and don't fastfall it. If you DAir as soon as possible, you can just hold down and jump to float BEFORE touching the ground, whereupon you do your first UAir, then release jump to touchdown and start stringing more UAirs.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I've actually gotten the Bair lock down.

Situational, but I've been using a dair -> footstool -> Fastfall Weak Bair as they're bouncing -> float cancel weak bair away from them, while moving toward them.

Does anyone have any guaranteed setups for the Bair lock? Something a bit more reliable?

Scaphist

Smash Apprentice
I've actually gotten the Bair lock down.

Situational, but I've been using a dair -> footstool -> Fastfall Weak Bair as they're bouncing -> float cancel weak bair away from them, while moving toward them.

Does anyone have any guaranteed setups for the Bair lock? Something a bit more reliable?
Turnips and possibly this.

The only problem is doing it out of a dair, do you fast fall and then float or fast fall touch the ground and float then uair?
Short hop the DAir and don't fastfall it. If you DAir as soon as possible, you can just hold down and jump to float BEFORE touching the ground...
I should say that there are two ways to do it. One without the fastfall, and one with.

Like White-Peach says if you don't fastfall it you can time a float either right out of the dair(with a buffer), then upair and drop immediately or time the float so it's right before hitting the ground and then upairing.

However, the fastfalling method enables you to connect the first two upairs much better and therefore makes the hits more guaranteed. It's a small speed difference, but...faster = better(although it might not be necessary). With the fastfalling method, timing of the fastfall is tricky. You have to do the fastfall AFTER the peak of your jump, towards the end of the dair animation(you should already be coming down when you do the FF). You want to time it in a way so that you can buffer a float literally as close to the ground as possible and then do the upair(No, you do NOT land from the SH dair, that would take way too much time).

Can someone explain the bair lock now? I try to hit with the second hitbox but it always misses.....
First off bair lock is **** hard, so you're gonna have to put in much more time into doing it than the upair string, and it's less applicable. What control setup and controller do you use? You may have to alter your setup(assuming you're using a GC controller: setting L or R to jump)or claw to do this. Clawing/using alternate controls can help with doing upair strings btw.

I don't know how to technically describe everything in a lock but I'll try anyways...

Locks only be started in the first few frames when someone lands on the ground missing a tech, by getting footstooled, or pushed off a platform(I think they need to be shielding). Certain moves, usually some kind of week hit, have the ability to force the opponent to stand up when they hit them in this state. During this forced stand up, they can be hit again with certain weak moves to be forced to stand up again. It's usually a jab, but Peach's bair and nair weak hitboxes can do it. You may have already known that but whatever...

I'ma break this into two parts like with the upair string. Learning the bair lock itself and then learning setups.

The best way to learn the bair part is this video(which you've likely seen seeing as you know about it). Just try and emulate the fair at low percentages and then run up to the missed tech and go from there.

When bair locking, you'll have to be moving forward with a float, into the opponent, while backairing at the same time(this is why you will need to change your control scheme up a bit). You'll be moving the control stick forward, hitting the c-stick left, and floating by either clawing or using L/R to jump.

Now for the timing and spacing, I can't tell you that. You'll have to figure a lot of that out with trial and error. I can tell you the sequence to do it though. Groundfloat -> bair -> move forward -> hit with weak part of bair -> drop out of float and repeat. The hard part comes of this comes with hitting with the weak bair every time. You have to outside of your opponents hurtbox, and then move the long lasting hitbox of the bair into them. Depending on their percent and how stale your bair is, the distance they go will vary.

I think that covers the bairing part...now for setups. Trying to catch opponents out of missed techs isn't very reliable, so the key is in footstooling. Any setup for a footstool while fairly close to the ground is a setup for a bair lock. If you were wondering, footstools can't be teched, which is what makes the footstool so good for this.

The best ways to get the footstool itself are what Darky said and with a turnip.

That link should tell you everything else about setting it up.

Also don't get the wrong idea and think I'm trying to insult how much you know, I'm just assuming you know as little as possible so I can cover all bases.

Have fun with

ing

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm, I'm doing this with the C stick, does it really auto-FF if you do dairs with the c stick? I always end up crouching.... Also, do you have to release the float in order for the second bair hitbox to hit, like you would when you do a double bair/uair?

Top Bottom