• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Pirate's Charm - READ BEFORE POSTING - The Toon Board Rules / Q&A Thread

LinkLuigi

Smash Rookie
NNID
LinkLuigi
How do I catch bombs that are thrown up and coming back down? I've also seen people catching bombs that are thrown right/left.The only way I can catch bombs is by doing BFO.

D

Deleted member 189823

I really like TINK in this game, he is significantly faster and also kills that much better. What do I need to know to get god with him?

D

Deleted member

How do I catch bombs that are thrown up and coming back down? I've also seen people catching bombs that are thrown right/left.The only way I can catch bombs is by doing BFO.
For catching a bomb above you, just jump at the bomb and press A or L/R while it's a little above TL. As for the second one, I'm not sure what you mean. Do you have a video of the specific thing you're talking about?

I really like TINK in this game, he is significantly faster and also kills that much better. What do I need to know to get god with him?
Read the stickied threads on this board (including and especially the social thread :p ) and FIOD's thread here: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...oons-bottomless-bag-of-ats-and-tricks.380910/
Also, watching and playing with other TL users to look for tricks they might use that you don't know about should help, too.
:170:

Last edited by a moderator:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Should I sticky that thread btw? I just really wanted to avoid being that guy who stickies his own thread.

Actually, let's just open this up to a brief discussion about the stickies. What do you think should be there and what shouldn't?
It has bothered me for a while that we have the social thread as well as the toon link general discussion thread stickied. I don't think there's any further reason for the general discussion thread to be stickied. It was made as a general 'catch all' back when there weren't a whole bunch of specific threads. But with the existence of the social thread and the lab/AT thread, is there any more need for it?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Should I sticky that thread btw? I just really wanted to avoid being that guy who stickies his own thread.

Actually, let's just open this up to a brief discussion about the stickies. What do you think should be there and what shouldn't?
It has bothered me for a while that we have the social thread as well as the toon link general discussion thread stickied. I don't think there's any further reason for the general discussion thread to be stickied. It was made as a general 'catch all' back when there weren't a whole bunch of specific threads. But with the existence of the social thread and the lab/AT thread, is there any more need for it?
I've been wondering for a while why the ATs thread hasn't been stickied, and personally have found it to be inconvenient that it isn't. There's a lot of really good info in there. So yeah, I think you should sticky it.

As for the general discussion thread, I agree that it should be unstickied. The main reason it hasn't been unstickied already is because someone asked a mod to sticky the social thread and unsticky the general thread, and there was a misunderstanding about the purposes of the social and general threads, so the general thread was given to me. I cleared up the misunderstanding, so the social thread ended up being stickied, but I still owned the general thread and haven't been able to figure out what to do with it. No one uses that thread anymore and its purpose is usually better served by other threads, so I don't think it's necessary anymore. As much as I hate to say that, since it's fun owning almost all of the stickied threads LOL.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
When in doubt, camp. And when you're loosing, camp HARD. When Bomb throws and boomerang connect at close range that's your chance to go in, and then retreat if you miss lol.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
When playing online it seemed like I did an air dodge to fair ( or nair I cant remember) instead of a zair. I probably was dreaming or something because I was so shocked when I saw it but thought I'd post for the heck of it.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
When playing online it seemed like I did an air dodge to fair ( or nair I cant remember) instead of a zair. I probably was dreaming or something because I was so shocked when I saw it but thought I'd post for the heck of it.
You can't do aerials w/ the grab button, so it was probably a technical error on your part.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
yeah wasnt trying to do a zair, was trying to do a normal air attack. But you can delete my 2 post here and the one before who ever is in charge of that stuff. False alarm most likely just air dodged and somehow the move buffered in after the dodge because of lag or something.

D

Deleted member 189823

Yah, that's why I like TINK. He was a pretty good campy character, that's why I liked him. Thing is, I never understood how to do it. At the risk of asking the silliest question in the known Universe, I wonder if you have some order of throwing things out, between Bombs, Arrows, the Boomerang & Z-Air (great tool).

D

Deleted member

Yah, that's why I like TINK. He was a pretty good campy character, that's why I liked him. Thing is, I never understood how to do it. At the risk of asking the silliest question in the known Universe, I wonder if you have some order of throwing things out, between Bombs, Arrows, the Boomerang & Z-Air (great tool).
You should mix them up as much as possible, otherwise you'll be predictable and get power shielded.

D

Deleted member 189823

I am going to win the tournament for 1000 pesos, you'll see. :4duckhunt:

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
You should mostly be using bombs and boomerangs to zone your target, they also work well when you jump and use them. As long as you avoid landing w/ your opponent under you, you can get creative. Zair is good for keeping your opponent at bay, and Zair>Grab strings together nicely. Arrows are just quicker, I usually opt for the other ones. Offstage Boomerang is good for forcing an airdodge/recovering safely, but spamming works well too.

Btw good luck in your tournament :)

D

Deleted member 189823

Yah, that's the one thing I try to be smart with, at least: moving around, when camping
I think the Boomerang is pretty cool because it's flexible (directioning it), it can save your butt-munch at times (when it comes back or when you're trying to avoid an edgeguard). Bombs are cool, as I've managed to combo into things like D-Air & U-Air at times. (:

Thank you.

T-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
lT-Manl
3DS FC
5086-1450-2098
Last day I played against 2 mega man player (different people) on FG... I only got a victory against them

all they did against me was only spamming the blade and the sticky bomb; and when the blade got me they ran to me with a grab...
when I got close they shield grab...

Oh they also spam roll when I throw bombs :(

I will appreciate any tips against them :)

RiRinKal

Smash Rookie
NNID
RiRinKal
Alright... Today I just noticed something...
When I play Toon Link I usually jump a lot(Not like short hop, but like high jumping)
Mean while other great toon link player like Manzoku(currently 4th place on Umebra11) Doesn't seem to jump around but instead lots of jump cancel bombs or short hopping. Do you guys think I need to change my jump play?

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Hello I was wondering what advice someone might have for dealing against really fast characters like sheik. Really anyone who puts toonlink in incredible hitstun for a longtime, interupt your combos, or can run up and attack you from a far distance before you get a chance to let your arrow shooting animation play for example. My current tactics are to camp/space and try to punish when I get an opening but I find shield grabbing to be hard on fast character who have no landing lag because they attack right away and fall so fast, It seems in general fast character are harder to punish for their mistakes. If toon cant punish a character safely for his mistakes, what can he do? Is toon always at a disadvantage against speed ?

D

Deleted member

Last day I played against 2 mega man player (different people) on FG... I only got a victory against them

all they did against me was only spamming the blade and the sticky bomb; and when the blade got me they ran to me with a grab...
when I got close they shield grab...

Oh they also spam roll when I throw bombs :(

I will appreciate any tips against them :)
You can shield and spot dodge the explosion from the sticky bombs. Also you generally shouldn't approach Megaman, since TL's camping > Megaman's. As for getting shield grabbed when you approach, you should try baiting the shield then grabbing them before they grab you. This shouldn't be too hard to do with the range on TL's grab.

Alright... Today I just noticed something...
When I play Toon Link I usually jump a lot(Not like short hop, but like high jumping)
Mean while other great toon link player like Manzoku(currently 4th place on Umebra11) Doesn't seem to jump around but instead lots of jump cancel bombs or short hopping. Do you guys think I need to change my jump play?
I think it's mostly just personal preference. It's probably better to mix things up between the two, though.

T-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
lT-Manl
3DS FC
5086-1450-2098
You can shield and spot dodge the explosion from the sticky bombs. Also you generally shouldn't approach Megaman, since TL's camping > Megaman's. As for getting shield grabbed when you approach, you should try baiting the shield then grabbing them before they grab you. This shouldn't be too hard to do with the range on TL's grab.
Well if I shield or dodge the sticky bomb... he´s baiting me for a grab.
Also I think megaman´s camping is better than TL´s, specialy that blade.

D

Deleted member

Well if I shield or dodge the sticky bomb... he´s baiting me for a grab.
Also I think megaman´s camping is better than TL´s, specialy that blade.
What about air dodging or possibly even rolling? Rolling hurt to suggest, but maybe it isn't such a bad idea to use it to avoid the explosion if you use it maybe once or twice and the Megaman doesn't expect it. But yeah, If you mix things up enough the Megaman should at least have a harder time punishing whatever you end up doing to avoid the explosion.

T-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
lT-Manl
3DS FC
5086-1450-2098
What about air dodging or possibly even rolling? Rolling hurt to suggest, but maybe it isn't such a bad idea to use it to avoid the explosion if you use it maybe once or twice and the Megaman doesn't expect it. But yeah, If you mix things up enough the Megaman should at least have a harder time punishing whatever you end up doing to avoid the explosion.
I think you are saying what I do against them XD. and rolling is just dangerous (they bait me for the SHORYUKEN).
I always pull out a bomb and start short hopping for mind game. Also the megaman didn´t shield grab me... I mean, I know they´ll shield grab.

I dunno why but I find playing against a lucario is a lot easier than against a megaman XD

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
I think you are saying what I do against them XD. and rolling is just dangerous (they bait me for the SHORYUKEN).
I always pull out a bomb and start short hopping for mind game. Also the megaman didn´t shield grab me... I mean, I know they´ll shield grab.

I dunno why but I find playing against a lucario is a lot easier than against a megaman XD
I just go crazy w/ the our bombs since his projectiles eat our own. Once you get use to the time limit on crash-bomber, being caught by one shouldn't be too much of a problem, since you can almost always shield it or stick it right back onto him. Oh and his blade thing almost always leads to a grab, so avoid it or catch with an airdodge lol. Just out camp him and approach w/ bombs/Zair. His Fair/Bair are insane and are MUCH more troublesome than his projectiles IMO, so if he wants to camp, let him, but zone him.

Hello I was wondering what advice someone might have for dealing against really fast characters like sheik. Really anyone who puts toonlink in incredible hitstun for a longtime, interupt your combos, or can run up and attack you from a far distance before you get a chance to let your arrow shooting animation play for example. My current tactics are to camp/space and try to punish when I get an opening but I find shield grabbing to be hard on fast character who have no landing lag because they attack right away and fall so fast, It seems in general fast character are harder to punish for their mistakes. If toon cant punish a character safely for his mistakes, what can he do? Is toon always at a disadvantage against speed ?
Hello! Yeah Toon Link is generally at a big disadvantage against anyone faster than him. I find it best to pressure them w/ projectiles especially bombs, and bait out moves once I get a read on them. It's really important to watch for habits that fast characters have since their jabs are so good on shield. You're going to have to be patience while avoiding taking damage.
Our grab is generally not that good(easily punished) so I try to avoid using it and go for a Zair instead, which maybe even leads to a solid grab followup. It's easy to go into autopilot and spam projectiles/grab so you gotta stay sharp.
VS. Shiek she'll probably always attempt to disrupt your arrows so just avoid using them near her. Against characters w/ projectiles I try to make them feel that it's unsafe to do so. Especially w/ Yoshis who like to spam egg Toss.

SoundChow

Smash Apprentice
Could someone tell me exactly how to IZAC? I can get a bomb drop without the zair, but my short-hop nair never seems to pick up the falling bomb. I've lost all hope for the 3ds version, but could someone give me the inputs for the wii u?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Let me walk you through the steps one by one in the most detail you're ever likely to see.
Get bomb, input a jump (you may either tap it or hold it, it doesn't matter).
Characters do a jump squat before they actually leave the ground. You want to hit the Grab button at the very end of this jump squat animation. (Note that the joystick must obviously be in neutral in order to Z-drop; if you're doing it out of a run, you should return the joystick to neutral (well) before you do the jump input just to make it easier.) The visual cue is when the Bomb starts to go back up, but it all happens so fast that this will mean nothing really. It's just a matter of finding the timing between cancelling the jump with a bomb throw and getting the Zair plus z-drop nonsense.
Here comes the difficult part. You have to let go of the grab button before you input the attack or c-stick to use an aerial. If you are still holding the grab button when you press the attack button or the c-stick, you will get a Zair and it will look like you must have messed up your z-drop timing even though you didn't (because you'll get the Zair plus the z-drop).
As for how much time you have to let go of the grab button and get your aerial out, if the bomb is bellow Toon's feet, he won't catch it. To give you an idea, out of a SH, the latest you can input a Nair is so that the second hit of the Nair is active at the very peak of your jump. Which is basically instantly. Hence the name, Instant Z-drop Aerial Catch. What can I say, it's supposed to be difficult.

Last edited:

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
Jo i have a question!

It seems i can't use Tinks theter right offstage.
Everytime i try to recover to the ledge with the theter there are three different things that can happen: 1. normal zair 2. aerial attack 3. i actually recover.

so what am i doing wrong?

D

Deleted member

Jo i have a question!

It seems i can't use Tinks theter right offstage.
Everytime i try to recover to the ledge with the theter there are three different things that can happen: 1. normal zair 2. aerial attack 3. i actually recover.

so what am i doing wrong?
You're probably not doing anything wrong except when you do an aerial. The tether is buggy, so it's common for it to not work for no apparent reason. Air dodging before using the tether seems to help, and should fix the aerials problem too.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Cool.
Another tether question: Has anyone found out yet why when you sometimes double-tap Z to tether + grab the ledge, Toon will grab the ledge and immediately do ledge attack?
And why sometimes that that doesn't happen?

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
Toon link seems to struggle against speedy characters - and so i contend with the answer - NAIR. Nair always balances things out. :]

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Cool.
Another tether question: Has anyone found out yet why when you sometimes double-tap Z to tether + grab the ledge, Toon will grab the ledge and immediately do ledge attack?
And why sometimes that that doesn't happen?
Yeah at first I thought it just happened all the time so I made a post saying that if you want to retract the tether and snap to the ledge without doing anything else immediately, you should just hit up on the joystick. Later I realised that it's all about how quickly you tap the grab button. So like, if you're still holding the grab button by the time you snap to the ledge, you'll automatically do a ledge-attack. I'd advise you to either just hit the grab button very quickly, or hit up on the joystick to retract the tether.

Last edited:

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Q: What is demonic Zair? And is it in Smash 4?

I vaguely remember reading about this AT from Brawl, and my guess would be that it's when you hit backwards from a ledge and then jump onstage with Zair.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Demonic Zair takes advantage of the fact that pressing Grab while on the stage's side of the ledge will result in a Zair and not a tether. In Brawl it was done by hanging onto the ledge, dropping down, holding forwards, double jumping into under the lip then hitting Grab, resulting in you being able to return on stage while Zairing.
In smash 4, this tech is now redundant for obvious reasons, but the mechanics behind it still work; you just have to jump off the stage backwards, don't grab the ledge, then double jump under the lip and the rest is the same.

Kunai KazeKun

Smash Apprentice
Does exist a Toon Link Skype group? If yes, can you add me?
I´m a Toon Link Main from germany which play aggressive with TLs projectiles, beacuse I think thats the way he should be played =)

I heard a lot of other character forums have skype groups to share informations.

D

Deleted member

Does exist a Toon Link Skype group? If yes, can you add me?
I´m a Toon Link Main from germany which play aggressive with TLs projectiles, beacuse I think thats the way he should be played =)

I heard a lot of other character forums have skype groups to share informations.
Yes, it's mentioned in the title of the social thread that the Skype info is in the OP there. But yeah, I'll add you.

hknutsen

Smash Rookie
So I'm getting better and better with Toon Link, but I often struggle knocking enemies out even around 150%. What are TL's best kill moves?

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Well, besides his Smashes his f-air is decent, but slow. B-air I don't think has as high KO power, but it still can KO at high percents. B-throw can kill around 140 as well at the edge.

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
Forward air can kill over the ledge around 80% on a lot of character so edgeguarding with it is a must. Back throw usually kill most of the cast around 105-110% if you have some rage (otherwise it will kill around 130, but you only need like 60-80% for it to kill at 110%). Back air kill at around 180 i think which isnt really good.

I would say the best setup that you can do as TL for kills is Bomb or boomerang into forward air. you can also do Zair to dash attack to forward air. Other than that, use smash attacks. Up smash is one of the best kill move for him since its fast and kills early (around 110-120 I would say)

TLDR: Forward air is the bread in buther imo, up smash and backthrow

D

Deleted member

This is what the Q&A thread is for. Also, the original post in that thread answers this question.

Edit: Well I look silly now that this has been moved, lol.

Top Bottom