• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Pirate's Charm - READ BEFORE POSTING - The Toon Board Rules / Q&A Thread

powerpaul95

Smash Rookie
what are you doing when your above your oppenent and he is presuring you to stay there? I got issue when its time to take back the stage control. i ussualy trop a bomb under me if i got one in hand and rarely downair even if its super risky. how did you do ?

D

Deleted member

what are you doing when your above your oppenent and he is presuring you to stay there? I got issue when its time to take back the stage control. i ussualy trop a bomb under me if i got one in hand and rarely downair even if its super risky. how did you do ?
Yeah, you shouldn't dair unless the opponent is being way too aggressive directly underneath you and you know the dair will hit. Dropping bombs, throwing the boomerang below, and landing with zair help. Also, be careful to not be too predictable with your landings. Try to bait the opponent into going to one area thinking you'll land in that spot, then move in the opposite direction.

powerpaul95

Smash Rookie
Yeah, you shouldn't dair unless the opponent is being way too aggressive directly underneath you and you know the dair will hit. Dropping bombs, throwing the boomerang below, and landing with zair help. Also, be careful to not be too predictable with your landings. Try to bait the opponent into going to one area thinking you'll land in that spot, then move in the opposite direction.

It looks like zair in the toon game is a useful tool. I'd start working on it. Is there anyway too find player (not in for glory) to play against to help improve my game?

D

Deleted member

It looks like zair in the toon game is a useful tool. I'd start working on it. Is there anyway too find player (not in for glory) to play against to help improve my game?
If you're just looking for other Gay mains you can ask in the social thread if anyone wants to play. I'd also be willing to play wifi with you some time as long as it's not too laggy, though I have a pretty low tolerance for lag. If the character doesn't matter then checking out your local scene and going to smashfests and tournies is your best bet. I hear Nintendo Dojo's ladder and Anther's Ladder are good if playing offline isn't an option for you.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
This won't really work against good players since uair's hitbox takes too long to come out and is too thin, also if it misses you'll be punished for its landing lag. It's better to end a utilt string with something like nair or bair since they come out quickly and cover a wide range.
Toon's U-tilt to Uair is so legit on medium to high percents though, even on good players. I don't think he was talking about ending an U-tilt string.

Toon's U-tilt to Uair is so legit on medium to high percents though, even on good players. I don't think he was talking about ending an U-tilt string.
Yeah I meant landing the u-air in general, I like using it for kills when my opponent only airdodges in the air when they are put in the situation. I follow their DI to land it because it lasts so long so it can hit inbetween airdodge spam

Uncle Honey

Smash Apprentice
How do I drop bombs in the air? I used to do it by pressing Z but it's not working anymore for some reason. Now it drops the bomb and does the Zair attack at the same time. Does this for Link too. Maybe it's a controller or controls error.

How do I drop bombs in the air? I used to do it by pressing Z but it's not working anymore for some reason. Now it drops the bomb and does the Zair attack at the same time. Does this for Link too. Maybe it's a controller or controls error.
This is not an error, if you drop a bomb in the air as Toon Link or Link your zair will occur at the same time as the drop, to do it without a zair coming out you need to do either a ZAC or an IZAC which is listed under the ATs of Toon Link here: http://smashboards.com/threads/trea...esearch-lab-and-at-list.380910/#post-18102830

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
This is not an error, if you drop a bomb in the air as Toon Link or Link your zair will occur at the same time as the drop, to do it without a zair coming out you need to do either a ZAC or an IZAC which is listed under the ATs of Toon Link here: http://smashboards.com/threads/trea...esearch-lab-and-at-list.380910/#post-18102830
While I thank you for linking the thread, it's more accurate to point to the Note of the Z-drop rather than the ZAC and IZAC.

OBCD421

Smash Rookie
NNID
OBCD
I disagree, Fsmash kills the earliest out of all his moves and is good for mind-games. It's easily punishable if you have a habit of using the 2nd hit every time though.
F smash kills earlier. You can kill any character lighter than you with a fully charged Fsmash at 50% after that the weight varies

101perry

Smash Rookie
What's a good way to deal with Captain Falcon? Specifically I want to try and deal with my friend who's run out of mains to fight me with. He rolls very frequently and there's a constant spam of Side-Special and Down-Special. I did what I normally did and put on pressure with projectiles but before we had to cut the game short he had the upper hand.

D

Deleted member

What's a good way to deal with Captain Falcon? Specifically I want to try and deal with my friend who's run out of mains to fight me with. He rolls very frequently and there's a constant spam of Side-Special and Down-Special. I did what I normally did and put on pressure with projectiles but before we had to cut the game short he had the upper hand.
We have a match-up guide on CF in the match-up thread. As for dealing with your friend's Falcon, unfortunately Gay doesn't deal with rolling very well. Personally all I've found to work is throwing a bomb where the opponent will roll, or using spin attack if they try rolling close to you. For the sideb and falcon kick thing, throwimg bombs and the boomerang should stop his approach. Iirf fire arrows also cancel out falcon kick and hurt him when he tries to sideb.

Shamsy

FIST OF JUSTICE
NNID
Shamsy92
Hi, I'm Shamsy. I play semi competitively at my scene in SLC, UT.

I play primarily Captain Falcon, and I just seem to have a mental issue when facing our top guy and his Custom Toon Link. This spreads further by way of me losing to his Villager, Robin, and even Olimar as well.

What are some REAL tips to playing vs Fire Arrow/Short fuse bomb Tink?

A lot of people seem to think Falcon does well in the matchup and that leaves me shocked. It's by far my biggest struggle.

As a Custom Tink player where do you feel a faster character without ranged options can get to you for punishes/combos/etc.

Goes without saying this isn't FG, he doesn't roll spam or space poorly. I need some more advanced tips.

Thanks!

Hi, I'm Shamsy. I play semi competitively at my scene in SLC, UT.

I play primarily Captain Falcon, and I just seem to have a mental issue when facing our top guy and his Custom Toon Link. This spreads further by way of me losing to his Villager, Robin, and even Olimar as well.

What are some REAL tips to playing vs Fire Arrow/Short fuse bomb Tink?

A lot of people seem to think Falcon does well in the matchup and that leaves me shocked. It's by far my biggest struggle.

As a Custom Tink player where do you feel a faster character without ranged options can get to you for punishes/combos/etc.

Goes without saying this isn't FG, he doesn't roll spam or space poorly. I need some more advanced tips.

Thanks!
You can probably benifit from doing a lot of perfect shielding on his projectiles while trying to approach him (for bombs you can grab it out of shield and throw it back... if it has any fuse left in it though, just do it quick if possible!), and to beat Toon you gotta get him while he's pulling his projectiles out. That when a lot of good people strike against me and beat me when I'm Toon. And assuming he does a lot of set ups with the fire arrow (Such as coverage to keep away from you etc.), it has a pretty short duration so you should wait the Toon out if you're getting wrecked on the way to him, thats usually the problem a lot of people and my friends have when I play Toon. But if you're patient you can do a lot of things, like checking out their habits and use them to your advantage or play the waiting game to make them come to you to punish them. I'm still new so some of this advice might not be the best, but I'm answering to the best of my 6 months of experience :I

jdubYOU

Smash Cadet
One thing that I still can't incorporate into my game is Zair and tethering. I know that the consensus is that it is less useful in Sm4sh than in Brawl, but it still comes in handy. However, I just never think about using Zair when I'm in a match. Could someone maybe give me quick run down of situations in which it could be used? Is it an approach option? For some reason, whenever I try SH Zair as an approach option, it just misses over the character's head, as most of them seem too short. Either this isn't a good approach option, or I am not buffering zair fast enough/not SHing correctly.

For tethering, one use I can see is being able to quickly get to the ledge if an opponent superior to you in the air is trying to jump towards you as you are trying to get back to the stage. Is that a good option?

Thanks for the tips. New to smashboards btw and a big TL fan. Hello all.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
or I am not buffering zair fast enough/not SHing correctly.
This confused me slightly. Have you seen any videos of top Toon's playing and have you seen how they use Zair? Because usually (though there are exceptions) Zair is used so that you land immediately after it has fully extended (or almost fully extended) which would mean that you would e.g SH, wait a bit, then use Zair at or just after the peak of the SH so that it is extending on your way back down. But the way you've described it here sounds like you're trying to use it while rising out of a SH, and if that's the case, there's your problem.

jdubYOU

Smash Cadet
This confused me slightly. Have you seen any videos of top Toon's playing and have you seen how they use Zair? Because usually (though there are exceptions) Zair is used so that you land immediately after it has fully extended (or almost fully extended) which would mean that you would e.g SH, wait a bit, then use Zair at or just after the peak of the SH so that it is extending on your way back down. But the way you've described it here sounds like you're trying to use it while rising out of a SH, and if that's the case, there's your problem.
Oh! I see what you are saying. OK, so I need to wait and practice the timing. Got it.

bigmarky

Smash Rookie
On regular link and some of the old SSB's toon link could do the fast downward strike with his sword or the slower one that kinda floated downward with his sword out

i coulda sworn i just did it by accident on wii u

am i crazy or not

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
If done out of hitstun at the right time, Dair will do this due to Toon still being affected by momentum. It's more difficult in smash 4 because there is a tighter window in which you still have momentum and are able to act because there is more hitstun. That's all.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
I've heard a lot about how useful zair is but I'm not so sure why and I feel I don't use it enough, could somebody inform me on when to use it please?
Is it for spacing, strings/combos? Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member

I've heard a lot about how useful zair is but I'm not so sure why and I feel I don't use it enough, could somebody inform me on when to use it please?
Is it for spacing, strings/combos? Thanks in advance.
It's great for both. It's a fantastic spacing tool, but can also combo into nair, a grab, smashes (mainly usmash), and sometimes even fair.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I meant the former but the answer to both would be nice =).
Ok so I'm finally free to answer this. You thought I'd forgotten didn't you?
(I had totally forgotten.)

Ok so just thinking about it initially, it's going to be really difficult to force bomb-spike scenarios. I mean, you'd need to get the opponent under the lip of the stage and then be able to almost immediately have a bomb explode on the edge. I mean when you think about it, by forcing them into this position, most moves are going to stage spike anyway at the percents required for the bomb to stage spike through the stage.

But you know, I did find a way to force a bombspike at any percent. There are a few issues with it naturally. First of all it will only work on some characters, and second of all it requires timing. Anyway, if a character (such as Mario for example) is holding onto the ledge and has no invincibility frames they can be hit by the initial hit of the grounded spin attack (front or back) which actually pulls them under the stage in the perfect position for a bomb to fall down on top of you (because you threw one up previously) and stage spike them. Well I never said it wasn't going to be situational or even viable, but still, right there we have a forced bomb spike. Note that other characters (such as Charizard) can be hit at any point of the grounded spin attack (not just the initial hit) when hanging onto the ledge, so the timing is less stringent.

As for situations where you are likely to get bombspikes, these would be where the opponent puts themselves in that position either intentionally or not.
So let's say the opponent is recovering with an Up-special that recovers vertically.
- If they recover from a position beneath the stage and face away from the ledge, many characters will not ledge snap until the peak of the up-special, so as they head upwards hugging the underside of the stage, they are completely vulnerable until they reach the peak of their recovery (at which point they will snap to the ledge). This is just begging to be punished and a bombspike is one way to do it.
- Perhaps the opponent is in the habit of deliberately not snapping to the ledge (by holding down) every now and then to hit you when you are standing too close to the edge (a good example would be Ganon). Well if they recover such that they are also slightly under the stage, a bomb spike is a possibility.
Let's say that the opponent isn't recovering with an Up-special though.
- Well if they DJ towards the ledge they won't be able to ledge snap until the peak of the jump. If they are in any way under the stage when they do this, they are susceptible to being bombspiked
- Perhaps they are trying to shark you, i.e. attack through the stage with U-air out of a DJ. Not as often in smash 4 but still a thing for some characters. Again, bombspikes can deal with this.
Any thing else?
- Well you can do things like Jab an opponent who is just off-stage at which point they won't be able to grab the ledge and may drift under the stage by accident. This can lead to bombspikes if they don't react well.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Ok So I was thinking of picking up Tink because I think
I need a character who is projectile happy, but also somewhat speedy,with decent mobility.
I main Kirby, Peach, Zelda and Villager while im learning Mario(maybe Ness) And after a few weeks/months
sheik maybe?(thats very unlikely though)

Anyways, I dont have any experience with him, but the one time I played him(despite getting owned by possibly the best Peach I fought online)
I at least learned how to drop his bombs, and Zair, the timing is strict, but I managed it during practice before the match.

I mostly want to know some tips about him.

1) His recovery, how can i make myself not so easy to edge guard? I know he has the habit of getting easily spiked or something, so what should I do during recovery? Always pull a bomb just incase I need much more vertical distance?
2)How can I reliably set-up Kill moves? Which ones are generally the ones I should go for when my opponent is at high percents, I would like to know if there are ways to lead into them?
3)Should I frequently auto-cancel ariels and such? Do all of his ariels have a lot of landing lag and are highly unsafe on shield? Which is the most safe for spacing and racking up damage?
4)How should I use his projectiles?Which would be best for set-ups? Which is the least useful and what situations would each one be best in and against certain characters?

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to hopefully start maining and getting use to him, and I hope you guys wont mind and help a guy out, I loved Wind Waker and Phantom hourglass :D

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Ok So I was thinking of picking up Tink because I think
I need a character who is projectile happy, but also somewhat speedy,with decent mobility.
I main Kirby, Peach, Zelda and Villager while im learning Mario(maybe Ness) And after a few weeks/months
sheik maybe?(thats very unlikely though)

Anyways, I dont have any experience with him, but the one time I played him(despite getting owned by possibly the best Peach I fought online)
I at least learned how to drop his bombs, and Zair, the timing is strict, but I managed it during practice before the match.

I mostly want to know some tips about him.

1) His recovery, how can i make myself not so easy to edge guard? I know he has the habit of getting easily spiked or something, so what should I do during recovery? Always pull a bomb just incase I need much more vertical distance?
2)How can I reliably set-up Kill moves? Which ones are generally the ones I should go for when my opponent is at high percents, I would like to know if there are ways to lead into them?
3)Should I frequently auto-cancel ariels and such? Do all of his ariels have a lot of landing lag and are highly unsafe on shield? Which is the most safe for spacing and racking up damage?
4)How should I use his projectiles?Which would be best for set-ups? Which is the least useful and what situations would each one be best in and against certain characters?

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to hopefully start maining and getting use to him, and I hope you guys wont mind and help a guy out, I loved Wind Waker and Phantom hourglass :D
It's k, I like wasting my time on this site and it's summer.

You honestly probably aren't going to use zdrop very much, unfortunately. It's a nice thing to learn, but it's near useless in the neutral game.
Do you know what an IZAC is though? A lot of Toon mains are just too lazy to learn it since it requires an ability to consistently z-drop (and recatch your bomb, goddamn), but it's a nice thing that gives you extra options.

Always pull bomb? Yeah, it's a nice thing to do offstage. There's a large possibility that you'll get hit during recoveryand that extra up-B may save you.
Save your double jump if you can. Recover low if necessary. Of course, if you need to spend your double jump to break your momentum to survive, use it and perform a rising bomb pull by immediately pulling a bomb afterwards. If you get sent at an angle that's closer to the horizontal (PRACTICE GOOD DI), you can do a bomb pull while falling since you don't have to worry about recovering horizontally as much (bomb pull kinda kills your aerial momentum unless you use a double jump). In this game, anything you do in the air will stop your fastfall so you don't have to worry about killing yourself (or spending your precious double jump) with a fastfalled bomb pull unlike in the previous games.
Keep in mind that you will lose your double jump after you use your up-B even if you explode yourself with a bomb. So use your double jump before that happens.
Bombs are nice offstage because you can use it to quickly change the direction your are facing, you can use it offensively if someone tries to go out to gimp you (Boomerang can be angled and lingers for a long time, so it is a good tool to use to defend yourself when recovering), and of course, the extra up-B. Also, if it doesn't explode, you have a bomb in your hand when you come onstage! yay!
Tether is a good, fast recovery option that's hard to punish. You can airdodge -> tether with a bomb to keep a bomb in your hand while tethering/zairing which lets you retain your bomb when you come onstage.
You MAY want to swing under the stage before pulling up to the ledge if your opponent starts trying to attack you when you snap back. It's not as much of a problem in Smash 4 though, but I still see good players doing in just in case.

2) How can I reliably set-up Kill moves? Which ones are generally the ones I should go for when my opponent is at high percents, I would like to know if there are ways to lead into them?

Usmash. Jump-cancelled usmash out of a dash makes you slide further than a normal dash -> usmash, I think. Make a nice read or use it as a mixup. Fsmash, although our most powerful kill move, is unsafe and shouldn't be used too often. It's a nice crossup though, and if it hits your opponent's shield, RUN AWAY. First hit of fsmash is usually pretty safe on shield just because your opponent is often too scared to drop shield after the first hit. Second hit of fsmash is even laggier than the first and you're bound to get punished.
Uair is a move with good range, priority and kill power that lingers around for a long time. If someone likes to spam a stall-and-fall (e.g. Yoshi Bomb, Bowser Bomb, Toon dair, Sheik dair), a perfect time to use uair is after baiting their stall-and-fall. You'll most likely be untouched since uair has such good range and priority. Double jump uair on the ledge can stab through stages with thin sides (e.g. Smashville, Battlefield) if your opponent is pressuring you a lot.
Be aware that you're not going to have invincibility frames when you regrab the ledge, so don't get baited to do this.
Jump-cancelled (sliding) bomb throw to fullhop fair often works as a kill setup, which is nice because jump-cancelled bomb has relatively low commitment.
FH bair -> fastfall is pretty safe move that hits a grounded opponent and keeps you mobile. FH fair -> fastfall can be used for a person who jumps around a lot. You can nair before the FH fastfall ends to land without the fair landing lag, but the better option is often just to fastfall a little later so you don't get the fair lag.

Bthrow at the ledge kills at like, 160% on average. Don't try to bthrow from center stage, you're not Ness. That's going to kill at like, 190%. You don't want to stale your bthrow.

3) Should I frequently auto-cancel ariels and such? Do all of his ariels have a lot of landing lag and are highly unsafe on shield? Which is the most safe for spacing and racking up damage?

Don't even try to attack shields with aerials, lol. Fullhop nair is safe ish, but it doesn't hit a lot of the shorter cast when they're standing.
Fullhop fastfall bair can be kinda safe. Sh fair (remember to cancel with nair or dj) is kinda safe because it has more range than others and has good shield pushback, I think.
Rack up damage with projectiles and traps. Make walls that people need to get through, limit their options, make a read based on what they do to get past your projectiles. Up-angled boomerangs are amazing even if your opponent isn't in the air since most people like to jump a lot. And returning boomerang can catch them sometimes.
Arrows shouldn't be used very much.
You know what? Go watch some videos. Jash and Zan are some players that I think are really good. Maybe there are some really good Toon Links on SHI-G (Japanese YT channel) but I don't really watch their videos despite the fact that I'm subbed to them, lol.

4) How should I use his projectiles?Which would be best for set-ups? Which is the least useful and what situations would each one be best in and against certain characters?
Welp. I kinda covered that a bit earlier.
Bombs are super versatile, you can throw them in four directions, they can help you escape grabs sometimes (more often Boomerang will come save you), they have like, tiny endlag so you can follow up with them. Learn how to play with items. Bombs are really, really fun.
Again, I think the best way to learn about using projectiles is by watching videos. I'm really tired now, I had a flight and ****. There's probably a guide on how to use his projectiles and stuff, but I can't find it right now.

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
It's k, I like wasting my time on this site and it's summer.

You honestly probably aren't going to use zdrop very much, unfortunately. It's a nice thing to learn, but it's near useless in the neutral game.
Do you know what an IZAC is though? A lot of Toon mains are just too lazy to learn it since it requires an ability to consistently z-drop (and recatch your bomb, goddamn), but it's a nice thing that gives you extra options.

Always pull bomb? Yeah, it's a nice thing to do offstage. There's a large possibility that you'll get hit during recoveryand that extra up-B may save you.
Save your double jump if you can. Recover low if necessary. Of course, double jumping as soon as you can could save your life at higher percents, so pull a bomb while rising if a double jump is necessary. If you get sent at an angle that's closer to the horizontal (PRACTICE GOOD DI), you can do a bomb pull while falling since you don't have to worry about recovering horizontally as much (bomb pull kinda kills your aerial momentum unless you use a double jump). In this game, anything you do in the air will stop your fastfall so you don't have to worry about killing yourself (or spending your precious double jump) with a fastfalled bomb pull unlike in the previous games.
Keep in mind that you will lose your double jump after you use your up-B even if you explode yourself with a bomb. So use your double jump before that happens.
Bombs are nice offstage because you can quickly change your direction with it, you can use it to cover yourself if someone tries to go out to gimp you (Boomerang can be angled and is also a good tool to use when recovering), and of course, the extra up-B. Also, if it doesn't explode, you have a bomb in your hand when you come onstage! yay!
Oh yeah, zair is pretty sexy and fast. Learn its range. airdodge -> zair makes you do a tether/zair while holding a bomb, which again, lets you just have a bomb in hand when you come onstage.
You MAY want to swing under the stage before pulling up to the ledge if your opponent starts trying to get you when you snap back. That was more of a problem in Brawl, though, since Smash 4 tether -> ledge is super fast.

2) How can I reliably set-up Kill moves? Which ones are generally the ones I should go for when my opponent is at high percents, I would like to know if there are ways to lead into them?

Usmash. Jump-cancelled usmash out of a dash makes you slide further than a normal dash -> usmash, I think. Make a nice read or use it as a mixup. Fsmash can be used as a crossup. Run away if the first hit of fsmash hits a shield. Second hit has a lot more lag than the first.
Uair has really good range and priority. AND it lingers for a long time. If someone likes to spam a stall-and-fall (e.g. Yoshi Bomb, Bowser Bomb, Toon dair, Sheik dair), use this to catch them, and you'll probably be untouched. Use it when you're hanging on the ledge with a double jump to stab through stages with thin sides (e.g. Smashville, Battlefield) if your opponent is pressuring you a lot. Be aware that you're not going to have invincibility frames when you regrab the ledge, so don't get baited to do this.
Jump-cancelled (sliding) bomb throw to fullhop fair works a lot. Also fullhop uair.
FH bair -> fastfall is relatively safe if you do it right. So is FH fair.
Bthrow at the ledge kills at like, 160% on average. Don't try to bthrow from center stage, you're not Ness. That's going to kill at like, 190%. You don't want to stale your bthrow.

3) Should I frequently auto-cancel ariels and such? Do all of his ariels have a lot of landing lag and are highly unsafe on shield? Which is the most safe for spacing and racking up damage?

Don't even try to attack shields with aerials, lol. Fullhop nair is safe ish, but it doesn't hit a lot of the shorter cast when they're standing.
Fullhop fastfall bair can be kinda safe. Sh fair (remember to cancel with nair or dj) is kinda safe because it has more range than others and has good shield pushback, I think.
Rack up damage with projectiles and traps. Make walls that people need to get through, limit their options, make a read based on what they do to get past your projectiles. Up-angled boomerangs are amazing even if your opponent isn't in the air since most people like to jump a lot. And returning boomerang can catch them sometimes.
Arrows shouldn't be used very much.
You know what? Go watch some videos. Jash and Zan are some players that I think are really good. Maybe there are some really good Toon Links on SHI-G (Japanese YT channel) but I don't really watch their videos despite the fact that I'm subbed to them, lol.

4) How should I use his projectiles?Which would be best for set-ups? Which is the least useful and what situations would each one be best in and against certain characters?
Welp. I kinda covered that a bit earlier.
Bombs are super versatile, you can throw them in four directions, they can help you escape grabs sometimes (more often Boomerang will come save you), they have like, tiny endlag so you can follow up with them. Learn how to play with items. Bombs are really, really fun.
Again, I think the best way to learn about using projectiles is by watching videos. I'm really tired now, I had a flight and ****. There's probably a guide on how to use his projectiles and stuff, but I can't find it right now.
Thanks man :) this was helpful, i will look more into this as well, thanks so much :)

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Thanks man :) this was helpful, i will look more into this as well, thanks so much :)
Let me know about which parts you didn't get. I was too tired to proofread last night, and I just realized how confusing some parts of my post was when I reread this morning, lol.
I'll edit the post since it'll take up an annoyingly large amount of space to repost an edit-- so read it again, sorry.
edit:
I've italicized the edited parts. Read those and see if you learn anything new.

Last edited:

Yoh1

Smash Rookie
Why does it feel like toon is rewarded so little for so much effort? Also was wondering but the toon boards doesnt seem to have much going on lately.

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Why does it feel like toon is rewarded so little for so much effort? Also was wondering but the toon boards doesnt seem to have much going on lately.
imo Tink badly needs some damage buffs for things like arrows, boomerang would be cool too.
Also, yeah it has been quiet here lately, huh...

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
How the heck do people soft-throw their boomerang? T_T
Gawd I can't do it. Consistently anyway.
Tap -> hold -> B takes way too long. If you do that in the air, you start going forward and I don't want that. And on the ground, if you do that, you dash forward and your opponent gets a bit of free distance covered between him/herself and you.
And it takes forever to tilt.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
You can have the direction held prior to actually needing it e.g. during the lag of the previous move, then just hit special toward the end of the move to buffer the boomerang throw. I wasn't really aware that this could be a problem tbh.

Yoh1

Smash Rookie
Why do you guys think the boards have been so quiet? I know I haven't contributed but was just curious and didn't know where else to ask. Also as of the recent patch with a bunch of characters, including Link, getting buffs, do you guys think Toon should also get buffed? If so what do you think should be buffed?

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Why do you guys think the boards have been so quiet? I know I haven't contributed but was just curious and didn't know where else to ask. Also as of the recent patch with a bunch of characters, including Link, getting buffs, do you guys think Toon should also get buffed? If so what do you think should be buffed?
Toon Link should most definitely get buffed. Let's start with speeding up his frame data just a bit. Giving him a reliable Down Throw combo, letting him properly Z-Drop bombs without the tether coming out, making his tether longer to reflect Link's tether buff, and giving his D-air less landing lag if it connects with an opponent. What do you think?

Yoh1

Smash Rookie
Yeah I think his grab and throws should be better since he doesn't get much out of grabs and tether grabs are already risky.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Why do you guys think the boards have been so quiet? I know I haven't contributed but was just curious and didn't know where else to ask.
Well I can tell you that it has nothing to do with the ability to make new threads or post in trashy threads as we've seen from experience now.
Gee I wonder who saw that coming?

But sure, I'll give you an answer. Keep in mind this is all conjecture of course.

It's a combination of things.
Many of the regular posters/veterans jumped ship to other characters either well before or after the initial patch nerfs made them lose faith in this iteration of Toon.
So who was left at that point?
We had the ones who didn't know what they were talking about, new to competitive smash, who also didn't know that they didn't know what they were talking about, so they went right ahead and posted.
We had a few remaining veteran players who knew exactly what they were talking about and also knew that they knew what they were talking about, but who saw what was being posted and felt overwhelmed at the task of setting everyone straight, and so instead decided to not bother with posting at all, and eventually got used to this.
Then there were the ones who did know what they are talking about but weren't confident about their opinion because they weren't seeing it expressed by the veteran players, and so as the self-aware individuals that they were, they eventually decided it would be best to not say anything just in-case they were wrong.
I'm personally the type of person that works best by working off others.
Eventually the individuals who were truly dedicated and did work regardless of how active the boards were realised that they were the only ones talking, and so giving in to the weight of silence, they too fell silent. Perhaps they got sick of their efforts being wasted; perhaps they literally couldn't post due to double posting rules; or perhaps they were just sick of talking to themselves.
It didn't help that as a returning character with few changes, much of the meta carried over from the previous game where the character was mined so completely that even over there discussion had completely ceased; so there was always going to be less things to talk about that didn't feel like re-stating what had already been said numerous times before.
The veterans moved to the back room where they felt more comfortable discussing among like-minded individuals. The skype group was created so now even trashy social posts have been re-directed elsewhere.
The result of all this was obvious. Silence.
Once you have silence, the normal human reaction is to feel uneasy about breaking that silence, or in other words, silence begets more silence. Nobody wants to have that awkward feeling of saying something only to have nobody reply, and in an environment such as this, that is always a possibility.
Large contributions feel pointless. After all, where is the reward if there aren't people there to see and appreciate your efforts? Why waste words on the wind?
We're stuck in a cycle that will take no small degree of courage and personal sacrifice to break out of. That means you, the reader. We have the potential to be an active board, we just all need to be bothered at the same time and stop caring about what others might think, and post.

In the mean time, I'm always here if anyone ever needs me.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Hey TL players! We from the Ryu boards are making a doubles thread. The purpose of the thread is to find the best partner for Ryu. I'm going to invite as many people I can at once and get discussions going on all at once. We invite you to our dojo and hope you could help us discuss Toon Link and Ryu in doubles. Thank you in advance!

Top Bottom